Leaving Bagage When Searching For A Place

Harryvb

Hallo

When we arrive on the island (nathon?) how do you get for instance to Bo Phut ?

Are there taxi's or other transportation , do they use standard prices to get you to one place our is it bargaining ?

When we arrive in Bo Phut or any other place on the island is it safe to leave your baggage in a bar or restaurant (just clothing and snorkel gear) and then rent a moped to search for a place to stay ?

Thanks

Adrienne and Harry

Belgium

From Nathon it is about a 15minute taxi ride to Bohput. There are songtaew drivers who will take you for a flat fare of about 50 baht or else the yellow taxis for around 300 baht (ripoff merchants), not sure abotu leaving your bags though, you could always ask a bar owner to keep an eye out for you but I doubt whether they will take too much care of them. Depending on when you arrive you may want to book a bungalow online for the first night in Bohput & then use it as your base whilst looking for better place to stay?

DO NOT RENT A MOTORCYCLE ON SAMUI.

It has the highest death & accident rate in Thailand.

Sand is spread from side roads onto the main concrete rds and is virtually invisible.

Go visit the hospital and morgue if you do not believe or talk to local Farangs.

Sand is spread from side roads onto the main concrete rds and is virtually invisible.

Go visit the hospital and morgue if you do not believe or talk to local Farangs.

As an experienced biker, I'd have to say that most accidents for farangs on mopeds (not real motorbikes) are caused by:

1. People who have no idea if the bike they're hiring is road worthy or not - tyres and brakes are some basic things to check out.

2. The same people never having had any training as to how to ride a bike - especially dangerous if it rains as most people wouldn't realise that to use the front brake in anger could prove fatal in the wet on a hill between Chaweng and Lamai.

3. Getting drunk and thinking that you'll be ok cause sh*t only happens to to other people.

4. Thinking that it's ok to travel at speed of 80 kph (50 mph) whilst going round bends on sh*t roads that are admittedly covered in sand in places.

5. A lack of understanding of the rules of the road in Thailand - the smaller vehicle always has no right of way or right to any tarmac.

6. Crazy Thai's doing crazy Thai things - insane overtaking manouvers and the like.

In essensce then, I'd have to agree as most people who hire a moped whilst on on Samui are a bunch of ignorant f*ckers that will be lucky to escape uninjured from their experience.

EVEN A ONE DAY BASIC TRAINING COURSE (CBT IN THE UK) IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY ON A MOPED MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY.

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED

What a load of scaremongering. So lets all lie on the beach and wrap ourselfs in cottonwool. And perhaps dream of what the rest of the island looks like.

The advice given re sand on the road is very good but, should not deter you from hiring bikes.

:o

Back on topic guys.

Harryvb. Most guesthouses will look after your stuff for you, most have a bag room where you can dump gear for a few baht. My best suggestion is to risk it and book into the first decent looking place you find then you will hae a nice 24hours to leasurely check out the island, day and night andmake up your mind where you want to go. If you make a bad call it is only for one night and at least you will be able to get a shower before you set out on your search

Edited by toastwars

Been there done lived to tell this tale. Hire a bike and enjoy the freedom of the island. Do not listen to idiot scaremongers.

the standard of driving on the island , of both motorcycles and cars , is appalling.

at night bikes disappear into unlit and unmarked gullies and drains , potholes unseat many drivers , and alcohol blurs the reaction times of many others , those few who drive sensibly are just target practice for the rest. (especially the huge construction trucks , currently the fastest vehicles on the road.)

the roads are possibly the worst in thailand , little or no maintenance , gravel and sand and potholes everywhere , scabby dogs suddenly running out in front of bikes.

if you dont have experience of riding a bike in a war zone then you should definately stay away from them and hire a suzuki jeep , put yourself a little higher up on the food chain.

plenty of hobbling and bandaged falangs have tales to tell. lots of facial scarring too from sliding on the gravel.

quite a few are unable to tell their tales at all.

the one thing you dont have on koh samuis roads if you ride a bike is freedom , every journey is like an assault course ,

Hmm, i enjoy riding on my motorbike everyday.

It is very relaxing and you see a lot of the island. Stay away from the main ring road and you will have a very enjoyable ride. On the main road just drive carefully keep to the left and be alert.

The only part i hate driving is the Chaweng area. Potholes, sand, drunken tourist and Thai. Swerving tourist driving a bike for the first time in their whole live. Too much traffic on that small stretch. Also the part from Chaweng to Lamai is tricky with sharp corners, steep hills. Don't drive that part if you unexperienced.

Do check your bike when you rent one. There are so many available you should get a good one. Especially the brakes, preferably discs as these are more easy to check visually.

To get back on topic. Don't worry to much. when you arrive in Nathon finding a ride to Bo phut is very easy. Just don't pay too much. And when in Bo Phut just check in the first suitable place, they are very easy to find, and get a good rest, shower etc. After that enjoy Bo phut and at the same time look for a place to stay if the first one was not good already.

• 2 weeks later...

Way off topic i know but:

1If you have ridden a bike in your home country go ahead and rent a bike. (if you have not then dont bother)

2.Make sure that you have travel insurance and read the small print to see if motorcycle accidents are covered.

3. dont rely on the insurance that the renter supplies. In the main this will be the bare minimum that covers 3rd party (it cost about 900 baht a year!)

ask the renter if they have comphrehensive insurance.

2 Ask for a helmet and WEAR IT (only 1% of riders on Samui bother....but they are the ones that will live to tell the tale if the worst should happen

3 turn the headlamp on during the day and use your horn a lot to let everyone know your there.

4. Dont use your bike in the dark, (recent statistics in Samui's Community magazine stated that 70% of motorcycle accidents occur in darkness) get in a taxi - dont drink and ride!

5. If you do the above you will have a wonderful time on Samui in my opinion. :o

I consider myself an experienced rider having ridden all over the Eu, Aus & Nz.

There is nothing to compare to riding in Samui except maybe black ice in Europe.

Have you been to the morgue in Samui, talked to anyone in the ER units?

I think not! :o

>>>1. If you have ridden a bike in your home country go ahead and rent a bike. (if you have not then dont bother)<<<

Your advice is useless!

I consider myself an experienced rider having ridden all over the Eu, Aus & Nz.

There is nothing to compare to riding in Samui except maybe black ice in Europe.

Have you been to the morgue in Samui, talked to anyone in the ER units?

I think not! :D

>>>1. If you have ridden a bike in your home country go ahead and rent a bike. (if you have not then dont bother)<<<

Your advice is useless!

Useless???????

So you think that Samui is a good place for people who have never ridden a motorcycle to start?

Your obsession with mortuaries concerns me, i suggest professional help may be a good idea.

This guy just wants to enjoy his holiday in an area that has only recently had the greatest loss of life ever.

The best you can do is bang on about mortuaries????

The appetite to try and score points over other posters on this forum astounds me.

Your inability to see the funny side of my quip about your cat in a hat has resulted in you making a hasty dismissal of some sound advice.

I'll repeat this advice:

If your are an inexperienced rider Samui is not the safest place in the world to be starting out. if you are an experienced rider hire a bike an enjoy your stay.

dont listen to Doctor Death from Udon, he needs mediaction for depression i think. :o

Edited by Im Luvvinit

I guess it's useless trying to give advice to school leavers!

Have a nice day...... :o

And you said to me Udon, I was having a 'bad hair day'! What's up with that guy?

By the way what IS that cat wearing..Recycled Som O?!

Samui roads are dangerous. That is all there is to it.

Dangerous if you are inexperienced. Why would anyone think they could hop off a Bangkok Airways plane and ride a moped let alone a motorbike for the first time...the same thing happens in Phuket.

Samui is awash with hazards even for the wary...I only ever had one bike incident in Samui and that was when the wind whisked some 'free' electric cables that were hanging around looking for trouble so that they lassooed the bike....no experience going to deal wiith these sort of things. At least we just fell gently into a puddle outside Bauhaus...just like 4.00 am!