Need Advice/opinions About Purchasing A Place In Pattaya.

submaniac

Hi I was contemplating purchasing some property in Pattaya. The deal is, I already have a residence/house in BKK, and we (my family) has about a 100 rai plantation several hours North of BKK. I am a Thai citizen, so purchasing land is not a problem. I was looking for a small place in Pattaya that I could come up for weekends. I was eventually going to retire in Thailand, but wanted to/can afford to start buying now.

The questions that I have are as folows:

Do you think it would be better to buy a house or a condo? I really do not need that much space for a weekend getaway. I condo would probab ly suit me just fine, but the problem is I have a real fear about Thai condos because I have seen so many that once they get old, they start falling apart, and no one takes care of them. I really just don't trust that the condos will be kept up through the years. So I am asking about houses. But the problem with houses is if you are not there, then the problem is that people break into them. Basically, if you have a house, you cannot really leave it unattended, which this one would be as it is a weekend getaway type of thing.

Also, do you know of any communities that I could buy into with alot of Falang around? Like particular condos that alot of falangs own, or neighborhoods? When I was last in Pattaya I picked up the real estate papers where they were doing a new neighborhood of homes (cheap too) which included the company which would own the house for the new owner (falang). Are there any places like that that you know of? Thanks.

Only you can answer these questions, how on earth would anybody on here know wheather a house or condo is best for you??

Get out out and about and look around to see what area's you are comfortable with, speak to people that are there already.

And by the way, just so you dont get lost, if you are travelling from BKK to Pattaya you would be going south ie: DOWN to Pattaya not UP!!! :)

Only you can answer these questions, how on earth would anybody on here know wheather a house or condo is best for you??

Get out out and about and look around to see what area's you are comfortable with, speak to people that are there already.

And by the way, just so you dont get lost, if you are travelling from BKK to Pattaya you would be going south ie: DOWN to Pattaya not UP!!! :)

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

:D

Edited by GraBangkok

I live in a condo in Jomtien Beach. I have been here for two years and it is a GREAT community. The management is really good. Maintenance is always done promptly, though it does take a while on some of the exercise equipment in the clubhouses. We have two clubhouses, two pools and numerous shops among the 5 buildings. It is fairly quiet and family oriented. The rates are reasonable for the annual maintenance fees - 5,600 baht and they keep everything clean and all the garden areas well tended.

There are a lot of Thai people who live in Bangkok and come here for long weekends and holidays. It is a short distance to the beach.

PM me if you need a contact to show you some real estate. I have a Thai friend who lived in Canada for a long time and she does property management. She is very honest.

Best Wishes,

Micheal

So you are Thai Citizen, but you want to retire in Thailand? You mean you work and living overseas?

Personally i wouldn't buy anything, because rentals are so cheap. Don't lock up your money. Keep your freedom to move always if you don't like it. But if you really want to buy something, you have to look around and beware of House scammers. I just lost a deposit on a house, wich i want buy on finance. Finance not passed, Deposit lost, even we had a verbal agreement that i get my deposit back, in case if the finance will not pass.

Condo can be a nightmare as you never know who will be moving in next door or above, not such a problem if you buy a house with a decent amount of land. If you rent a condo you can always move. As for Farang areas in Pattaya, well, it is hardly Thailand anyway is it? Our house is unnatended a lot of the time but never had a break in, you need good security and good neighbours to keep an eye out for you. If crime worries you then a Farang area in Pattaya is the worst choice you could make.

I faced the same dilema umpteen years ago when deciding about where and what kind of accomdation in Pattaya on retirement.

Of course it depends on your lifestyle and what you would consider comfortable.

After checking it out for several months I came to the conclusion that the most secure and comfortable place for my needs was: A town house surrounded by good Thai neighbours who would act as security in my absence.

The east side of the highway is ideal, close to the beach, markets etc,

Cheers

Rent

You may change your mind about living here, or taking weekend trips here in the future, and selling is really difficult, so play it safe, invest elsewhere, and rent.

best of luck whichever path you take

Hi,

depends on your budget and your preference so decide whether you would like a sea view or would be happy with small garden, or maybe a big garden if you have the dough or just a cheap place to lay your head down when your visiting.

If you have the spare cash then buy as some great deals around and if you rent and only use it some weekends then doesnt seem worth it in real long term.

By the way I got a couple of cheap places still available for rent or sale. pm me if you want more info on them....might be ideal if you want safety and nearish the beach.

Hi I was contemplating purchasing some property in Pattaya. The deal is, I already have a residence/house in BKK, and we (my family) has about a 100 rai plantation several hours North of BKK. I am a Thai citizen, so purchasing land is not a problem. I was looking for a small place in Pattaya that I could come up for weekends. I was eventually going to retire in Thailand, but wanted to/can afford to start buying now.

The questions that I have are as folows:

Do you think it would be better to buy a house or a condo? I really do not need that much space for a weekend getaway. I condo would probab ly suit me just fine, but the problem is I have a real fear about Thai condos because I have seen so many that once they get old, they start falling apart, and no one takes care of them. I really just don't trust that the condos will be kept up through the years. So I am asking about houses. But the problem with houses is if you are not there, then the problem is that people break into them. Basically, if you have a house, you cannot really leave it unattended, which this one would be as it is a weekend getaway type of thing.

Also, do you know of any communities that I could buy into with alot of Falang around? Like particular condos that alot of falangs own, or neighborhoods? When I was last in Pattaya I picked up the real estate papers where they were doing a new neighborhood of homes (cheap too) which included the company which would own the house for the new owner (falang). Are there any places like that that you know of? Thanks.

There's a new little development going-up, as we speak. It's unique location, very near the famed Silverlake Vineyard, is more than superb. The views from each villa are abolutely breath-taking ! ! ! Incredibly beautiful. The Winery Villas Estate is an exclusive 30 Villa development, built under European Management and managed by Europeans (Dutch). Top security and just 15 minutes from Pattaya; 5 minutes to Bangseray Beach. Have a look at their web-site: www.wineryvillas.com You can purchase a beautiful Eco Responsible small Villa there for 5.5 mil baht, on some 650 sqm of landscaped garden, your own private swimming-pool and you never ever have to worry about security, maintenance etc.

We have bought a larger Villa there, on 1/2 Rai ( 10.1 mil) and can't wait to move-in.

If you need more info., PM me.

Cheers.

Edited by jaapfries

if it is just a weekend getaway i do not understand why you would buy as you cannot rent the place for 5 days and stay for 2...the interest earned on the money you dont use to buy a place will far exceed a few weekends of rental or hotel fees... prices in patts are dropping so there will be no capital gain for many years if any! its not a choice of buy a condo or house for me it's buy or rent.

Buy a house if you are Thai. You'll have full ownership and it is a better investment hands down. However, if I were you I'd wait as there should be another 10-20 percent drop in prices. You may also want to check out Hua Hin and area. Hua Hin has some nice housing nestled up in the mountains not too far from town.

Don't be too hasty and good luck.

So you are Thai Citizen, but you want to retire in Thailand? You mean you work and living overseas?

Personally i wouldn't buy anything, because rentals are so cheap. Don't lock up your money. Keep your freedom to move always if you don't like it. But if you really want to buy something, you have to look around and beware of House scammers. I just lost a deposit on a house, wich i want buy on finance. Finance not passed, Deposit lost, even we had a verbal agreement that i get my deposit back, in case if the finance will not pass.

Yes, dual U.S. Thai citizen. Am in states most of the time because I earn way more than in Thailand (though I was thinking of opening up an office in Thailand eventually).

Anyways, was going to buy rather than rent. Things in Thailand are very cheap now. Was even cheaper years ago when my family bought property, and needless to say things have gotten more expensive. If Pattaya is cheap right now I say better buy now because it will eventually go up.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into it. I am not in a hurry, but was going to start looking and wait until I find the right bargain. Is there a good website that lists the properties for sale? (Yes I know about the TV classifieds, too, thank you.) Thanks for the help.