Flying Home W/suitcases Full Of Items To Sell

MattFS218

I'm flying back to the US for 10 days in March and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for items I could pack in my suitcase to bring back to the US to sell (perferably on ebay, or other method that requires little effort). A couple of things to consider:

1) I'd rather bring many different items so if I in fact do get caught by U.S. customs they won't charge me any duty fees.

2) items should be able to fit in a suitcase

3) items should be liquid in value and easy to sell on places like ebay

I've heard rip off purses might work well. Anyone else have any ideas?

matt

Also, does anyone know any things I could bring back from the US and sell in Thailand for a profit (I think I might be able to make some money bringing over some hi-tech equipment ...espically with the dollar so week)..but I'm a tech bargain hunter :o.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know those long sleeve shirts that have all the little perforations so that the air circulates through them? You can pack about 80 of them in a medium suitcase and I just can't keep them in stock. For what appears to be flimsy material they hold up very well too. I get them for 35b and sell them for $8 Cdn (250B)

cv

For the copy-stuff just don't get caught by customs or you'll see your imports confiscated + a big fine.

Stuff that's worth bringing back to Thailand ... high-end, new gadgets ... MP3 players such as Ipod and Cretive Zen are about 50% more expensive here than in US - if you can find them.

I'm flying back to the US for 10 days in March and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for items I could pack in my suitcase to bring back to the US to sell (perferably on ebay, or other method that requires little effort).

So you are using this forum to solicit advice on how to illegally export and import stuff into the US and Thailand?

In the US: A felony? Punishable by heavy fines, prison, loss of rights, etc.?

In Thailand: Don't even want to imagine.

Why don't you just go ahead and call the customs service and give them your name and flight number, so they can be sure to wave you on through when you arrive?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at such stupidity. :o

Edited by Spee

You know those long sleeve shirts that have all the little perforations so that the air circulates through them? You can pack about 80 of them in a medium suitcase and I just can't keep them in stock. For what appears to be flimsy material they hold up very well too. I get them for 35b and sell them for $8 Cdn (250B)

cv

That's only a 619 per cent mark up Vic. How can you get by :o

Matt,

The way to get around the legality is to import clothing, wear it once, then sell it. If you bring back items for personal use under the allowed $$ limit there is no duty. Some exceptions apply like alcohol or tobacco.

I'm flying back to the US for 10 days in March and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for items I could pack in my suitcase to bring back to the US to sell (perferably on ebay, or other method that requires little effort).

So you are using this forum to solicit advice on how to illegally export and import stuff into the US and Thailand?

Why don't you just go ahead and call the customs service and give them your name and flight number, so they can be sure to wave you on through when you arrive?

I agree.All the've got to do is look for someone carrying the passport MattFS218 and away goes your stuff. Actually I'm sure Customs do keep an eye on this site for information. Thai police certainly do. But all you have to do is say they are samples or presents and you are okay. I once declared a case full of football shirts and watches and got charged nothing. Another time I sent the same items through the post and they got seized. When I owned 'Thai Superstores of Ramsgate' in UK I reguarly used to bring stuff back. Silk shirts were good. Kimonos were one of the best sellers. The most we took through once was 190 kg's. Cost me a fortune in excess baggage but still cheaper than shipping it by air on it's own.After a few runs you get to know what is allowed and what sells good.

Reminds me of the one where customs had an eye on this bloke for 2 years. \every month he used to come through customs with 7 suitcases. Trouble is every time they stopped him he had nothing. Just a few things in each case. Turns out he'd been smuggling suitcases. :D

Reminds me of the one where customs had an eye on this bloke for 2 years. \every month he used to come through customs with 7 suitcases. Trouble is every time they stopped him he had nothing. Just a few things in each case. Turns out he'd been smuggling suitcases. :D

:o:D:D

I agree.All the've got to do is look for someone carrying the passport MattFS218 and away goes your stuff. Actually I'm sure Customs do keep an eye on this site for information. Thai police certainly do. But all you have to do is say they are samples or presents and you are okay.

It's not really that simple. You have to get away with it every time. They only have to catch you once. And it's hard to justify an entire suitcase full of the same stuff as samples or personal stuff.

And yes the crackdowns do happen. For example, for the past couple of years the Japanese and American officials have been cracking down on US servicement returning from vacations in Thailand. I've personally seen news of military careers being ruined because of 1 or 2 pirated DVD's brought back from the streets of BKK.

Their cases are just like the ones discussed in this thread. Thousands of people do it and get away with it. But trying telling that to those guys after they were court-martialed and dishonorably discharged for a seemingly miniscule offense.

For those like me who enjoy life on the road, and the freedom that a passport and airline ticket bring, sorry but in this kid's case, it ain't worth the risk. Any business worth pursuing is worth pursuing legitimately, unless of course you are willing to accept the risks that come with crossing the line.

I agree.All the've got to do is look for someone carrying the passport MattFS218 and away goes your stuff. Actually I'm sure Customs do keep an eye on this site for information. Thai police certainly do. But all you have to do is say they are samples or presents and you are okay.

It's not really that simple. You have to get away with it every time. They only have to catch you once. And it's hard to justify an entire suitcase full of the same stuff as samples or personal stuff.

And yes the crackdowns do happen. For example, for the past couple of years the Japanese and American officials have been cracking down on US servicement returning from vacations in Thailand. I've personally seen news of military careers being ruined because of 1 or 2 pirated DVD's brought back from the streets of BKK.

Their cases are just like the ones discussed in this thread. Thousands of people do it and get away with it. But trying telling that to those guys after they were court-martialed and dishonorably discharged for a seemingly miniscule offense.

For those like me who enjoy life on the road, and the freedom that a passport and airline ticket bring, sorry but in this kid's case, it ain't worth the risk. Any business worth pursuing is worth pursuing legitimately, unless of course you are willing to accept the risks that come with crossing the line.

I'm not talking about brining back Pirated DVD's.... I have the Internet for that!!! :o

If you buy high quality rip-off items (which will sell better on ebay anyway)...how is a dumb customs offical (I'm really setting myself up to be stripp searched, I know! :D) if it's real or not?

However, thanks for the advice on silk pillow cases and other items. I really apperciate it! Does anyone have any experience selling electronics equipment in thailand? What's the easiest, hassel free way to do it? If I walk into the Electronics Mall in Bangkok (I forget the name) with shit, will I be able to get vendors to purchase it off me for a fair price?

Matt, (or is it Mike?)

I believe the customs duty limit is $800 US. I have taken stuff back to the US in my suitcases every time and i declare it every time. I am under the limit (check out the US customs website for the exact amt). I am not foolish enough to take pirated stuff tho. The silk pillowcases have done really well, as have little purses (string straps), as well as those wrap around pants (not fisherman pants but pants that you tie up between your legs-the silky fabric is the best). Silver jewelry also does well.

I have always declared my goods as such (merchandise) and they have never once dutied my stuff. Even after gettin waved through customs in LA (first time) I thought it must be a mistake so I went up to the another customs guy and said, "I have merchandise to declare" and he said how much, I said $600 (there is only so much you can stuff into two suitcases)and he waved me on through. I have been doing this every year for 4 years and not once have they bothered with me. But then, I have always declared my goods.

Yep, it's best to be honest coming back - even when bringing food! :D

Had one suitcase 3/4 full of primo chili paste this last time - and it was the one the X-ray machine lit up.

It was cool tho 'cause it was all shrink-wrapped.

Can't get away with too much these days... :o

Are you sure you are not going to Scotland??? :o

Why?

If you buy high quality rip-off items (which will sell better on ebay anyway)...how is a dumb customs offical (I'm really setting myself up to be stripp searched, I know! ) if it's real or not?

You cant sell copied stuff on Ebay. Read the rules.

Thanks for the tremendous response and great ideas. Can someone give me an idea of what I can expect to pay for silk pillow cases and the other items mentioned in the post if I purchase them in bulk? Where would be the best place to purchase them, Bangkok?

Also, on the selling side, how do most people sell these items in the United States? Ebay?

Just to be clear, and to keep this thread on topic, I'm NOT interested in making a living doing this, I just want to get back some of the money I'm paying for this airplane ticket. I'm NOT transporting any pirated goods (and don't care what your opinion is on this subject). Although I might consider sneaking across one or two fake gucci purses :o. Otherwise I expect to be well under the $800 US duty free limit.

Thanks for the help!

I have flown back and forth between Thailand and the US 40 times, each time bringing stuff back to the US with me. Stuff that has been popular for selling in the past for me were laser pointers, copy Nike Golf/Polo shirts, and copy DVDs.

I never once sold this stuff on Ebay because it is against their rules and its illegal. I have been searched by customs many times. The only thing they recognize as counterfeit are the DVDs. Once one of them said to me, "Don't you know these aren't real?" I told him I knew but didnt care and he assumed they were for personal use.

The only things I have brought back in large quantity are the Nike shirts. You have to make sure you look carefully because a lot of them look really stupid that they have in LOS. Look for normal colors and designs with nothing ridiculous sewn into the collar. If a customs guy asked you about it, you could say they were gifts for family. A friend once brought back an enitire suitcase full of them to sell and sold every one. He was never searched though. Usually, I sold them to people I worked with. You can buy them for 5 USD in Thailand and I would sell them for about 15-20 USD back at home. These shirts, the real ones, cost 50-60 USD in the store. I even have a lot of them in my closet. If you find a good one, they are well worth it.

Never thought about the silk pillowcases. I believe you would be dealing with a very limited group of people trying to sell those. Besides, you said 10 days right? You need to find something you can unload quick that people don't have to give much thought to. Shirts are an everyday thought for people.

Are you sure you are not going to Scotland??? :o

Why?

If you buy high quality rip-off items (which will sell better on ebay anyway)...how is a dumb customs offical (I'm really setting myself up to be stripp searched, I know! ) if it's real or not?
You cant sell copied stuff on Ebay. Read the rules.

Is haggis smuggling illegal? Do they celebrate Robbie Burns night here. How many haggis can you get in a suitcase ? :D

Yep, it's best to be honest coming back - even when bringing food! :D

Had one suitcase 3/4 full of primo chili paste this last time - and it was the one the X-ray machine lit up. 

It was cool tho 'cause it was all shrink-wrapped.

Can't get away with too much these days... :o

I recently worked at the local airport as groundcrew and talking to the security guys they mentioned that sometimes sauces and pastes will set off the scanners. Seems they appear as 'organic', read explosive, and similar consistancy as semtex. Peanut butter was the best at doing this.

Thanks for the tremendous response and great ideas. Can someone give me an idea of what I can expect to pay for silk pillow cases and the other items mentioned in the post if I purchase them in bulk? Where would be the best place to purchase them, Bangkok?

Also, on the selling side, how do most people sell these items in the United States? Ebay?

Just to be clear, and to keep this thread on topic, I'm NOT interested in making a living doing this, I just want to get back some of the money I'm paying for this airplane ticket. I'm NOT transporting any pirated goods (and don't care what your opinion is on this subject). Although I might consider sneaking across one or two fake gucci purses :o. Otherwise I expect to be well under the $800 US duty free limit.

Thanks for the help!

The best places to buy cheap stuff are chinatown and pratunam for clothes/cosmetics. I'm selling on ebay and it's very easy, but i won't give away anymore of my secrets, or everybody will be doing it.