Jealous People

longstebe

In general The Thai people have always been great to me.

We all know that Farangs have been living in the villages for some time now.

I often wonder, are some of the village people jealous? Most of the time the farangs have the nice house

with the nice car and the nice motorbike etc...

Has anyone encountered any problems due to this? Or what you think is due to this.

My village is primarily Thai people and they all have nice cars, nice houses equal or better than mine and motorcycles.

They've definitely got the nice motors, but the houses not.

No I must say everyone here comes round and enjoys the garden and a cuppa tea and are good people. My house isn't one of those grand palaces mind.

I have experienced jealousy from farangs more so than Thais. A lot of times, I think the Thais are a remarkably "un-jealous" people...I don't know how to express it clearly in words but if they do do something "bad" to you, it maybe driven by greed or anger or maybe even sheer ignorance but seldom have I encountered one who is jealous simply because I have more material things. Not talking abt affairs of the heart though, cos that's a different story :)

On the other hand, judging from the sniping that occurs on this forum, which also happens outside in real life, directed at other farangs and the often snide remarks towards people (thais or other farangs) who have something, it is pretty clear a lot of it is driven by sheer jealousy. There are many posts that say "you got more money than brains" or words to that effect directed towards other farangs who have something that the attackers don't.

my village (about 50 houses) only 5 houses(including mine) are modern houses, rest are bamboo houses; lot of them are poor. I cant say they are jealous, which i havent experienced from them but they do lack manners and lot of them simply avoid a foreigners; i guess they may be shy to talk to foreigners.

I have experienced jealousy from farangs more so than Thais. A lot of times, I think the Thais are a remarkably "un-jealous" people...I don't know how to express it clearly in words but if they do do something "bad" to you, it maybe driven by greed or anger or maybe even sheer ignorance but seldom have I encountered one who is jealous simply because I have more material things. Not talking abt affairs of the heart though, cos that's a different story :D

On the other hand, judging from the sniping that occurs on this forum, which also happens outside in real life, directed at other farangs and the often snide remarks towards people (thais or other farangs) who have something, it is pretty clear a lot of it is driven by sheer jealousy. There are many posts that say "you got more money than brains" or words to that effect directed towards other farangs who have something that the attackers don't.

:) I had more money than brains, mush and I must emphasise the 'had'.

my village (about 50 houses) only 5 houses(including mine) are modern houses, rest are bamboo houses; lot of them are poor. I cant say they are jealous, which i havent experienced from them but they do lack manners and lot of them simply avoid a foreigners; i guess they may be shy to talk to foreigners.

Do you avoid them? I used to a bit.

I know there is a serious language barrier, but yesterday for example around 50 people visited, mainly the old folk who like the gardens and a cuppa tea. It's very nice. It's not like that everyday, but my 63 year old neighbour, Lit, pops in most days along with a few others like Nan and Camsing.

Only thing is they keep bringing me plants which will grow into rather large trees and I'm running out of room.

I get saplings from Roi-Et for 80 satang, so next trip I'm brining back a thousand or so and give them out to all the oldies that love gardening.

Try and integrate best you can, you'll be amazed how the quality of life improves no end. My language skills are dire. I've never been able to learn other languages . . . I call it the English gene. But fear not, everyone understands a cuppa tea and a Bougainvillea in bloom.

Our truck is worth more than the house we live in, we just blend in with whats around us, it works fine. People that visit have trouble finding us as we just don't look like a farang house. :)

Our truck is worth more than the house we live in, we just blend in with whats around us, it works fine. People that visit have trouble finding us as we just don't look like a farang house. :)

Let's face it. Most of us Westerners that go to live in Issan do so because of the simple way of life. Trouble is many Thai wives want to show off and the 'face' thing comes into play, so some blokes end up building these big houses (which personally I love, think they're great).

I can see how this can cause issues in the locality.

But either way, once you spend time with the locals and make a little effort with them, they really don't care if they like you.

I firmly believe that if you treat all people with the respect they deserve. Rich or poor. Ugly or beautiful. Old or young. They will respond in the same way.

Many of the rural thai people are used to the attitude they get from rich thai people. Many of them putting down the poor or even declare them stupid because of their lack of education. They experience this when they work in the mansions in Bangkok as housekeepers or maids, they see it on TV and read about it in the news.

Due to the fact that most of us farang (I think) are not rich buy the measurements in our native countries. But we may be percieved as rich by thai people in rural Thailand. We don´t have the attitude many rich thai people have. In my experience must of us farangs in Thailand are working or middle class and we have been working hard to gather whatever "wealth" we have accumulated. This I think is what makes it easier for thais to accept any signs of wealth on our behalf.

I firmly believe that if you treat all people with the respect they deserve. Rich or poor. Ugly or beautiful. Old or young. They will respond in the same way.

Many of the rural thai people are used to the attitude they get from rich thai people. Many of them putting down the poor or even declare them stupid because of their lack of education. They experience this when they work in the mansions in Bangkok as housekeepers or maids, they see it on TV and read about it in the news.

Due to the fact that most of us farang (I think) are not rich buy the measurements in our native countries. But we may be percieved as rich by thai people in rural Thailand. We don´t have the attitude many rich thai people have. In my experience must of us farangs in Thailand are working or middle class and we have been working hard to gather whatever "wealth" we have accumulated. This I think is what makes it easier for thais to accept any signs of wealth on our behalf.

A beautiful post. Absolutely correct.

My next door neighbour said to my sister-in-law as she was ragging at me about something (me cowering and bowing and scraping) "They're just like us!"

The ice was broken.

About the only good thing going for me right now are my neighbours. Wonderfully supportive, kind people.

"I get saplings from Roi-Et for 80 satang..."

What kind of saplings are you getting?

This sort, Terry. The garden centre is about 800 yards down the opposite side of the road from Global Home. Near the junction.

Some are 2 Baht each, some 80 satang.

post-62129-1246710622_thumb.jpg

post-62129-1246710925_thumb.jpg

My neighbors where I Live no ,My Thai friends who I Socialize with are happy when things are going well with our business and personal life as true mates do.

The Thai Chinese people that are neighboring our business premises, when we are busy and they are not YES Jealous as hel_l.

It dosent seem to matter that our business is not in competition with any of them they physically scowl at us have done for years.Our local Thai staff pick up on it and cant understand the problem either.

Do you avoid them? I used to a bit.

I know there is a serious language barrier, but yesterday for example around 50 people visited, mainly the old folk who like the gardens and a cuppa tea. It's very nice. It's not like that everyday, but my 63 year old neighbour, Lit, pops in most days along with a few others like Nan and Camsing.

Only thing is they keep bringing me plants which will grow into rather large trees and I'm running out of room.

I get saplings from Roi-Et for 80 satang, so next trip I'm brining back a thousand or so and give them out to all the oldies that love gardening.

Try and integrate best you can, you'll be amazed how the quality of life improves no end. My language skills are dire. I've never been able to learn other languages . . . I call it the English gene. But fear not, everyone understands a cuppa tea and a Bougainvillea in bloom.

Do you like gardening Mike? :)

My next door neighbour said to my sister-in-law as she was ragging at me about something (me cowering and bowing and scraping) "They're just like us!"

The ice was broken.

About the only good thing going for me right now are my neighbours. Wonderfully supportive, kind people.

Sounds like a nice place you got there Mike :) , still i would prefer somewhere far up north, I think I will go for Pai.

The ice was broken.

Sounds like a nice place you got there Mike :) , still i would prefer somewhere far up north, I think I will go for Pai.

I've not been there, Bart, but I've heard it's now massively over-developed and wrecked.

Yes I do like gardening, probably more than anything else.

I often wonder, are some of the village people jealous? Most of the time the farangs have the nice house

Has anyone encountered any problems due to this? Or what you think is due to this.

Nope I don't think Thai people in general are Jealous of a Farangs living in their village, with a nice home/car/motorcycle. Now on the other hand a few of the Thai Lady may be a bit Jealous of the Thai Wive.

My village is primarily Thai people and they all have nice cars, nice houses equal or better than mine and motorcycles.

Ohhh dear, this 'story' just keeps on getting better and better. Let me get this right. You are a Doctor of high standing @ one of the big time hospitals. Your Wife is a Hi-so Chinese Thai Lawyer, big time business and can get her own visas to the united states. You have a fleet of BMW's that you bought for half price. A dog that can play the banjo and tap dance and now all the thais in your village drive nice beemers too, actually some of their beemers are better than yours & their motorcycles too. And they all have nice houses. Wow, what part of Thailand are you living in Jungian? Have you ever been to Thailand? :):D

I can't wait for nexts weeks version of the Jungian diaries. :D

This sort, Terry. The garden centre is about 800 yards down the opposite side of the road from Global Home. Near the junction.

Neat as a PIN Mike. The place is going to look out of this world when all those saplings grow and thicken up. You can't really go wrong with saplings at 2 Baht, 80 satang etc.

Nope I don't think Thai people in general are Jealous of a Farangs living in their village, with a nice home/car/motorcycle. Now on the other hand a few of the Thai Lady may be a bit Jealous of the Thai Wive.

Would that be because I'm a handsome man!!! :)

Edited by longstebe

Neat as a PIN Mike. The place is going to look out of this world when all those saplings grow and thicken up. You can't really go wrong with saplings at 2 Baht, 80 satang etc.

The garden centres are my gogo bars. There's lots of gorgeous honey's in there. I go most Sunday's but too much to do tomorrow so Wednesday I reckon.

I was going for some fully grown stuff, but gets expensive (1300 Baht for a palm etc). May as well get the cheap saplings and grow the stuff, I think it's more fun seeing it all come together over time. Neighbours bring stuff round too, some pretty amazing plants. Lot's of people coming round these days. I find old folks watering and dead heading stuff, planting . . .

Wish I had the field out the back, but they don't want to sell. I'd like to create a mini-Nong Nooch in the village here for everyone to enjoy.

Gotta say I do love living in Issan.

That's very true, rich Thais are absolute as$holes 90% of the time. It's one of the major reasons I don't want to live in Thailand long term- the social interactions of that country are on the level of junior high school students (14 year olds). I don't care what the 'culture' is, no man or woman should treat another with disrespect or indifference.

It's weird, poor isaan people treat me with too much respect just because I have a little bit more money than them, like assuming I'm going to ignore or look down on them. I'd prefer if the great aunt who is 50 years older than me would let me open the door for her or let me act humble around her, but she doesn't! :) Most thais seem suprised if I'm doing a little work around the house or other menial tasks, like I'm supposed to be some fat chinese dude that just sits around all day running some crooked business and going to karaoke everynight!

My experience....jealousy is not part of the equation. Only surprise that anyone would invest in a comparatively 'expensive' house in a village....and in a location where it is not easily seen. When I describe the traffic, pollution etc of the mega-cities we have lived in and point out the natural beauty around us, I believe they start to 'get it'.

--------------------------------------

I guess you havent lived too long in a village here in Thailand. Mingle with the people... try to understand what they say....

and you will find out that, what you call "lack of manners" is just "lack of your/ours manner", nothing else. They live in Thailand and

they are Thai, så why should they have forein manners??????

Yes many of them avoid falangs, many of them are getting nervous because they cannot speak english/german or whatever, and they

just dont understand the behavior of falang!!!

But mind you, these Thai consider it to be a great day (up here in Isaan), if they happen to meet a falang, and on top of that, this

falang greets him with a hello!!! So meet them, ALWAYS say hello, and give them a big big smile. Than suddenly everyone will try

to talk to you (a little bit) and they always give you a big smile when you meet next time.

So plse no lack of manners..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

--------------------------------------

I guess you havent lived too long in a village here in Thailand. Mingle with the people... try to understand what they say....

and you will find out that, what you call "lack of manners" is just "lack of your/ours manner", nothing else. They live in Thailand and

they are Thai, så why should they have forein manners??????

Yes many of them avoid falangs, many of them are getting nervous because they cannot speak english/german or whatever, and they

just dont understand the behavior of falang!!!

But mind you, these Thai consider it to be a great day (up here in Isaan), if they happen to meet a falang, and on top of that, this

falang greets him with a hello!!! So meet them, ALWAYS say hello, and give them a big big smile. Than suddenly everyone will try

to talk to you (a little bit) and they always give you a big smile when you meet next time.

So plse no lack of manners..

Glegolo

Nice reply Glegolo

yes, jealousy is a natural human trait, more pronounced in some than others, jealousy and envy possibly the worst of the seven deadly sins. Buddha, does give it a big mention! People are always going to be envious of others, for a myriad of reasons. In all societies at all levels. This isn't the problem.

I speak to just about everyone around where i live. I observe the Thai rituals of dealing with elders etc., I say Krap alot, I smile alot, even whistle and sing as I stroll along, the Thais love to see you being happy in their country. I go out of my way to not be like the serious farang with a frown on his face, always in a hurry, stressed out. I ever so slightly dip my head when I walk past an elder. I talk about the weather, or I teach some kids to say 'Good Morning' or 'Good Evening' in English. A thai is always going to ask 'Bai Nai?' when you smile as you walk by, you should have an answer for them, 'Bai lanka krap, boori mot'

Just a few simple words and a big smile.

Thailand is still a country where good manners and politeness are their own rewards.

Integrate. Thats the name of the game.

I think the opposite problem is worse.

Farang that decide by choice or circumstance to live by modest means. A small home with a motorbike (no car) He is often looked down upon and gossiped about by old betel nut chewing women who haven't got a pot to piss in their wooden shack, let alone a motrobike or a car.

The more farangs that move to Issan and splash money around the more compitition abounds - Keeping up with the Boueys and all that BS.

I think the opposite problem is worse.

Farang that decide by choice or circumstance to live by modest means. A small home with a motorbike (no car) He is often looked down upon and gossiped about by old betel nut chewing women who haven't got a pot to piss in their wooden shack, let alone a motrobike or a car.

The more farangs that move to Issan and splash money around the more compitition abounds - Keeping up with the Boueys and all that BS.

Yes, but there is a great comeback for those you mention above.

I quote from the wisdom of His Majesty The King.

'Por Piang'.

they can't argue with that regardless of what they think of you. it certainly raises eyebrows and puts them on the backfoot.

Especially since I am a great believer of 'Por Piang' and try to live my life that way.

I mentioned this once before. I'm riding down the road on my 50,000 baht bike & I've got deadshits in 1980ies coronas on finance travelling towards me & as they near my location they swerve onto my side of the road & overtake, effectively forcing me to the shoulder of the road or worse....WHY NOT, afterall Im only a scumbag on a motor scooter :D . It seem completely irrelevant to them that I may just be on the bike after having dropped my 300 million baht Ferrari at the service centre or something like that. It could be the case that Im stinking rich but like riding a scooter, but for that moment they are THE MAN! That strikes me as really odd & an attitude that stretches out around Thailand.

Just watch the way ur taxi driver slings change at the girl in the toll booth, barely opening his window to do so & without even muttering a 'thankyou' or 'kiss my asss'. THE ATTITUDE REALLY STINKS.

When I deal with people that are obviously doing jobs that pay little or arent that desirable, I always go out of my way to thank them or chat with them or be nice. I don't see much of that here. Sorry, i've never really understood the level of 'classes' that is so evident here.

I have always thought about treating people as people until they treat me in a way that requires a different response....fair enuf? :)