My Name In The Green Book.

Just bought a bike and don't really have a Thai that's too keen to have it in their name. In difficult communication between my bad thai, and the shop's bad English they were saying to get a letter from the Embassy (and 1000thb for them to do it for me), and they should be able to do it.

I haven't heard of this before, is it true?

And what letter or document should I ask the Embassy for? A letter saying I've been living here x amount of years, and my address (by bringing them my rental contract)?

And I'm on a Tourist Visa.

You need a 'proof of residence' this can be

Letter from immigration.. Some give it free, some charge, some wont ive it al all or want long stay visa's.

Letter from your embassy.. They should know what it is.

Work permit.

Yellow house book (not accepted everywhere I am told).

Any of those should work.. Secondly the law says you need a non imm visa, on phuket I have never had a problem putting cars bikes and anything in my name, but that is the law and I have heard rural provinces refusing.

You need a 'proof of residence' this can be

Letter from immigration.. Some give it free, some charge, some wont ive it al all or want long stay visa's.

Letter from your embassy.. They should know what it is.

Work permit.

Yellow house book (not accepted everywhere I am told).

Any of those should work.. Secondly the law says you need a non imm visa, on phuket I have never had a problem putting cars bikes and anything in my name, but that is the law and I have heard rural provinces refusing.

Its called "Certificate of Residence". I v never had a problem on touristvisa in 6,5 years and 20 bikes, cars and trucks. BKK, Hua Hin and Phuket.

Its called "Certificate of Residence". I v never had a problem on touristvisa in 6,5 years and 20 bikes, cars and trucks. BKK, Hua Hin and Phuket.

Blimey, that's some going. A new car, bike or truck every four months over six years!

What happens, does the GF keep wrecking them? :):D

Blimey, that's some going. A new car, bike or truck every four months over six years!

Apart from buying and selling, many of mine have been becuase the missus rents scooters..

Not sure if I have put 20 in my name.. But cant be far off it.

Just bought a bike and don't really have a Thai that's too keen to have it in their name. In difficult communication between my bad thai, and the shop's bad English they were saying to get a letter from the Embassy (and 1000thb for them to do it for me), and they should be able to do it.

I haven't heard of this before, is it true?

And what letter or document should I ask the Embassy for? A letter saying I've been living here x amount of years, and my address (by bringing them my rental contract)?

Hi. It's very easy in some places. My bike is running on my name, because the Isaan is easier to arrange anything. But I do have a work permit, but not quiete sure if you really need one. Find somebody from this country, I guess there's an easy way to get the bike and insurance on your name. Good luck.

Law says you can not register a vehicle without a non-imm visa. Of course TiT- there's almost nothing that a little money can't fix :D:D:):D

They v never looked at my visa. Only Certificate of residence. Never payed one baht. :D

None wrecked (yet) :D

A new car or truck every year. In 2006 actually 3, Yaris, Vigo and Camry.

2 or more new stepthroughtwistandgo a year, Yammy Elegance presently, one in each home.

Employees bikes.

Big bikes.

Actually I passed 20 when counting.

Thanks. The cost from the Embassy is 940b. The shop wants 1000B for doing the change over, leeches.

If I go for this option and do it myself, do I just take the Cert. of Res. and green book to the Dept of Transport?

The last ownership page in the green book has been signed (in the centre at the bottom of the page) and then stamped twice on the left and right just under this. The same as the previous pages so I presume the shop doesn't need to sign anything else.

Thanks.

You presume a lot...

What kind of bike? Where are you located? Have you had a Thai friend look over the Green Book?

Have you checked to see if you can register bike with a tourist visa? You won't be able to register it in Bangkok.

And the shop offering to take care of the paperwork for only 1000 Baht sounds like a good deal to me, but then my time is valuable :)

Have you checked to see if you can register bike with a tourist visa?

Yes. On this thread. Everybody has said that they didn't have any trouble with a TV. One guy has said that he's never had a problem with 20+ bikes on a TV.

You won't be able to register it in Bangkok.

Okay then.

Pattaya?

And the shop offering to take care of the paperwork for only 1000 Baht sounds like a good deal to me.

Last bike they did it all for free, but that was into a Thais name. This time it was more the way slimey bloke said it at the end as everything was complete as he looked me up and down with $$ signs in his eyes, and a contemptuous <deleted> you farang tone of voice.

Edited by Simonpetterson

^ Ok- a Made in Thailand CBR150 should be no problem. (I had been wondering if it was an imported bike in which case you have to be much more careful).

As far as registering on a tourist visa, again, the law says no, but seems outside of Bangkok some provinces will accept a tourist visa for vehicle registration. Other than Phuket and Nakorn Ratchasima I don't know what other provinces will allow you to register a vehicle with only a Tourist Visa.

Good luck and happy trails!

Tony

oh.. lets see what happens to me then. At Kawasaki on Rama IX they told me I only needed the certificate of residency. I gave them this, a copy of my passport and the latest entry stamp since i'm still here on Tourist Visa. I sounded like it will be no problems at all and that the bike will be registered in my name within 2 weeks. Otherwise I guess I will have to start from scratch once I receive my non-immigration ED in 3-4 weeks.. Maybe they only wanted to sell the bike and that they don't care what happens later on..!?

peace,

Johan

Last year purchased and sold a cbr 150.

Got a letter of residence from the embassy.Purchased a new honda.

Sold later to a Farang he had a Tourist visa as did I.

He got a letter of reidency. We went to the department that handles

the transfers sold to him.

This was no problem in Chiang Mai.

I keep on reading about the need of Non Imm O or B to register vehicle, but has anyone ever been denied to register on tourist or entrystamp with Certificate of Residence? I just cant believe I v been lucky without Non Imm 20+ times :) Nor my friends :D

You won't be able to register it in Bangkok.

Okay then.

Pattaya?

So your resident paper lists Pattaya as your changwat / region then ??

And the shop offering to take care of the paperwork for only 1000 Baht sounds like a good deal to me.

Last bike they did it all for free, but that was into a Thais name. This time it was more the way slimey bloke said it at the end as everything was complete as he looked me up and down with $$ signs in his eyes, and a contemptuous <deleted> you farang tone of voice.

Well here on Phuket the fee direct to the DMV to move the bike if I do it all myself was 2k (bigger bike)..

Really pick your battles.. A rand not to have to fight the system.. Bargain.. Pay it and laugh at the pettyness of a rand being important to him.

I keep on reading about the need of Non Imm O or B to register vehicle, but has anyone ever been denied to register on tourist or entrystamp with Certificate of Residence? I just cant believe I v been lucky without Non Imm 20+ times :) Nor my friends :D

I have heard of it in the boonies.. And theres no doubt it is the law (I have posted multiple links) but on Phuket and most farang experienced zones they just let it slide. However it only takes someone tobe difficult and your stuck.

I have done reg's on a 30 day stamp when between visa's before.

Thanks all. I actually think I'm just going to do the easy option of putting into my partner's name like my last bike.

If I can ask, is it normally free for the shops to do this once you've paid for the bike. (the shop has about 50 bikes for sale so they're hardly not used to doing it). My last bike out in the sticks was done for free, but I just didn't like the try and screw you farang attitude of this shop (or the admin dealing with me at least) and at the end he demanded I give him 1000b for changing it over into my name when I bring him the docs. I didn't like it. Should it usually be done for free, especially when into a Thais name?

Thanks. The cost from the Embassy is 940b. The shop wants 1000B for doing the change over, leeches.

If I go for this option and do it myself, do I just take the Cert. of Res. and green book to the Dept of Transport?

The last ownership page in the green book has been signed (in the centre at the bottom of the page) and then stamped twice on the left and right just under this. The same as the previous pages so I presume the shop doesn't need to sign anything else.

Thanks.

Having got over 15 bikes in my name now ( I rent them) I would say for the extra 60 THB give it to them and avoid the hassle and stree of visiting the Department of Transport - its alot easier and quicker from my experience.

I have a Non Im B Visa so I just show them that and my work permit but friends of mine just show the proof of residence document and its fine.

Thanks all. I actually think I'm just going to do the easy option of putting into my partner's name like my last bike.

If I can ask, is it normally free for the shops to do this once you've paid for the bike. (the shop has about 50 bikes for sale so they're hardly not used to doing it). My last bike out in the sticks was done for free, but I just didn't like the try and screw you farang attitude of this shop (or the admin dealing with me at least) and at the end he demanded I give him 1000b for changing it over into my name when I bring him the docs. I didn't like it. Should it usually be done for free, especially when into a Thais name?

DMV charges 380 + 20 = 400 baht for a scooter, so if they can do 150cc for a grand, done deal. :)

Yes that's the one btw for anyone in the future. Will have to go back as my partner isn't from BKK so needs to get a letter from someone from BKK allowing it to be used in BKK.

Thainess.

If you don't have a Thai with you for all the forms etc. You'll be there a long long long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Katabeachbum,

am going through the proces of buying a new superbike ain HH and was going to transfer the greenbook to the GF's name. YOu have however given me pause to think.

I can get a certificate of residency no problems, I have a long term lease in HH.

You have done this in HH before? NO problems?

I am on a tourist visa as I work 4 week rotation on oil rigs.

Cheers,

F0xxee

Another success story..

I still haven't received my non-immigration-ed visa and hence stay in Bkk on tourist visa alone..and I don't have a work permit and when I bought my bike I didn't even have a thai DL. It took less than 3 weeks for Kawasaki to arrange with the registration and now I have both a plate and my name in the green book. While waiting for registration I went to Chatuchak and got my thai DL's for both car and motorbike.. the DL for car they just translated, while I had to do some small testing for the motorcycle DL.

The only thing I had to do in both cases (getting the registration and DL's) was to bring my passport, copies of last entry stamp; tourist visa; my swedish DL AND the certificate of residency issued by my embassy - one copy allowing me to buy a vehicle and one copy allowing me to get a thai DL.

I hope this will encourage whoever you are to get a new nice bike!! :)

Peace,

Johan

Edited by dunder