Cmda 680 With A Wirless Router

MisterMan

Hi I have the CDMA 680 and would like to get wireless in my house. I read a few previous posts and it seems a bit complicated.

is it possible to do? Someone in Phuket is selling a customized model for the CDMA 680 for 6500 baht which sounded really wrong to me.

Also I will be going to the States next month, perhaps i can pick up something there? On the Franklin website they show this one http://www.franklinwireless.com/?doc=bbs/g...ct&wr_id=19

The CXR-100

Broadband WiFi Router

Will this work? Should i buy it in the states or is there an easy alternative here? I am using a macbook by the way. not sure if it matters but I am so to technical to be fixing scripts etc..

Thank you

post-46666-1246776044_thumb.png

I use the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 that I purchased off of ebay. Works well. And no, you don't have to worry that you're on an Apple; I have both Linux and 1 (only 1!...it's the brother in laws netbook) Windows machine that connects to it and as far as they're concerned it's just a plain old wifi point.

One thing to consider is making sure, if possible, you get a Draft-N router(the Cradlepoint is one). Your connection won't be any faster, the EV-DO connection is the slowest point in a wifi chain and if you don't have draft-N in your machine it won't reach maximum speed anyways, but the added signal strength allows you to get further from the router and seems to maintain a better signal to boot.

So does that mean I can buy and am better to buy something outside of Thailand? They are $250 in the states, is there not a less expensive alternative? Thanks for thie info!

Edited by MisterMan

So does that mean I can buy and am better to buy something outside of Thailand? They are $250 in the states, is there not a less expensive alternative? Thanks for thie info!

Unfortunately there are no cheaper options that I'm aware of. That's actually not a bad price for a WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network) router. I purchased the MBR1000 from here last September for a penny shy of 240 USD (currently it's 220 USD). There are cheaper options, down to 139 USD, but this had options I was looking for. Namely it has LAN ports (I can hook up my Xbox360/netcam/etc) and it allows bonding (combining several CDMA/GSM (and one ASDL/Cable) connections into one fat pipe.

These cost more because of features offered. A regular old 30 USD router will not allow you to connect to a WWAN....and make sure you purchase a router that connects with the Franklin CDU-680 as it's known in the States.

**edit**

Read a review on my router.

Edited by dave_boo

Hi I have the CDMA 680 and would like to get wireless in my house. I read a few previous posts and it seems a bit complicated.

is it possible to do? Someone in Phuket is selling a customized model for the CDMA 680 for 6500 baht which sounded really wrong to me.

Also I will be going to the States next month, perhaps i can pick up something there? On the Franklin website they show this one http://www.franklinwireless.com/?doc=bbs/g...ct&wr_id=19

The CXR-100

Broadband WiFi Router

Will this work? Should i buy it in the states or is there an easy alternative here? I am using a macbook by the way. not sure if it matters but I am so to technical to be fixing scripts etc..

Thank you

I'm using a Kyocera K2, works with no problem, I bought it online in Thailand from this side http://www.surfnshop.biz/index.php?lay=sho...e&Id=348101

/Claus

The CDU-680 is a WWAN module.

They won't work unless you're good with Linux mainly because most don't have the necessary USB port. Even then you need to be able to navigate your way around and make sure that you have correct firmware, drivers, configuration, etc...

One more novice question..

If I buy one in the states then can I test it if it works with the dongle even if there is no connection (obviously cat wont be in the us).

I ask this because even before I connect i do get the green light and signal strength indicator.

If I buy one in the states then can I test it if it works with the dongle even if there is no connection (obviously cat wont be in the us).

I ask this because even before I connect i do get the green light and signal strength indicator.

Take it to a Sprint shop and ask "Pretty please, let me make sure this router works with your "Franklin" EV-DO modem because I'm thinking about getting service with you".....

Take it to a Sprint shop and ask "Pretty please, let me make sure this router works with your "Franklin" EV-DO modem because I'm thinking about getting service with you".....

HAHAH ok. great thanks!