Driving In Thailand On Uk European License

IDP £5 2 years ago from the Post Office.

When I had to show it to the police they still had no real idea what it was. But I thought it better to be safe than sorry and for the small cost why worry about not having one and you have a legal licence to drive in Thailand. You get the IDP over the counter at main P.O.

If you are unlucky enough to have an accident and detained by nthe police it is much better to have an international driving licence as the vehicles insurance may be invalidated without one.......or so I was told when I rented a car from Highway Car Rental on Sukumvit Road.

It is my intention to rent a car fron a rental company. So thanks for your replies.

It looks as though I will need to get an international licence.

Thanks

IDP cost me GBP 7.00 a year ago (now 7.50) and it saved me 400 Baht in tea money. I had a very satisfied smirk when I saw Constable Somchai's face drop when I handed over the IDP.

link here http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Only valid for 12 months so I now have a Thai driving licence.

It is my intention to rent a car fron a rental company. So thanks for your replies.

Thanks

IDP cost me GBP 7.00 a year ago (now 7.50) and it saved me 400 Baht in tea money. I had a very satisfied smirk when I saw Constable Somchai's face drop when I handed over the IDP.

Taken from the link (on the "you will have to send" part:

Your DVLA confirmation of entitlement to drive

<deleted> is THAT ?????

Penkoprod

I've just got my IDP in the UK. The RAC do it for GBP7.50 and Green Flag charge GBP5.50. The AA and Post Office also do them but I don't know their prices. Just check their websites. Both the RAC and Green Flag wanted copies of my UK Drivers Licence (photocard and paper bits) and also a photocopy of my Passport photo page, to confirm ID. They'll also only send it to an address in the UK, the one on your Drivers Licence. Turn around by snail-mail was a week.

I've actually got 2 IDPs this time round - just in case. :) You never know if dear ol' Somchai might want to "keep" the IDP in cases of "negotiation" over tea money, etc. It's happened to me before.

Thanks

Taken from the link (on the "you will have to send" part:

Your DVLA confirmation of entitlement to drive

<deleted> is THAT ?????

Penkoprod

:)

You have to love the gobbledegook.

In 99.9% of cases your Euro licence will do the trick, HOWEVER to be totally legal you need an IDP, best to get one :)

You have to have an International permit. If you'd have an accident you would be in deep shit without that. Insurance companies are similar like in other countries. Drive slowly......... :D

post-39518-1246839657_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sisaketmike

Got my International one from the Post Office..took 5 mintues.

1 photo

1 normal licence

1 dosh (can't remember how much think it was a fiver or a bit more but under a tenner)

fill out forms and hand over money.. easy peasy plus mine was done at the money exchange window/travellers cheques etc.. No queuing with blue rinses and chavs after their government handouts ... :)

I have not yet had to produce it but it is tooked away in the glove box of my car...... along with a crispy 100 baht!

Hello all.

I will be driving in Thailand on holiday and was wondering if my UK european licence will be enough or will I need to apply for a International permit to legally drive in Thailand.

Thanks slippery

heres some infor about post office IDP

International Driving Permit

Applying for an IDP at a Post Office

Personal applications for an IDP can be made at selected Post Office® branches listed below.

You must apply in person (no third-party applications).

You must complete an application form available from the Post Office®, and produce one of the following ORIGINAL valid documents:

• Your UK driving licence (if photocard licence then photocard and counterpart), or
  • Your UK pass certificate (certificate of competence to drive, valid for two years from the date of your test), together with your provisional driving licence.

This document must be accompanied by a recent passport-sized photograph(see photograph checklist on the application form ) on photographic paper, signed on the back and showing full face against a light background, together with some other acceptable signed proof of identity (eg passport).

There are no other circumstances under which an IDP can be issued at a Post Office®.

The statutory charge for a permit is £5.50.

Payment to the Post Office® may be made by cash or cheque. If by cheque this should be made payable to "Post Office Ltd" and supported by a cheque guarantee card. Payment cards (credit/charge/debit) are not accepted for these transactions.