Great Thai Food In Chiang Mai

Drew Aitch

There's a lot of threads on the best burgers, Pizza's, fish & Chips and all the rest of it, but what would you guys consider to be the best Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai. Not the Beer Stube's or the Blue Diamonds, but somewhere perhaps with a bit more of a Thai feel to it?

Cheers

Aitch

I would guess that we do not discuss this more because there are so many good Thai places that it is overwheming. The other problem is that many are almost noodle stalls, so they can be difficult to locate.

I go to Aroon Rai near Thapae Gate a lot because their papaya salad -Som Tam - and vegetable curries are really good and it is convienient. Some people say that it is over-rated though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ha ha lol - okay, maybe narrow it down a tad as i too enjoy some street stalls from time to time, but they could hardly be called good restaurants but rather places which serve good Thai food.

Let's say somewhere that's nice to sit, and has a peaceful atmosphere with a Thai ambiance, meaning that the clientèle is not made up of 98% foreigners.

Aitch

I agree with Ulysses. The topic is too broad. Perhaps you could narrow your question down to a specific area in the city or perhaps describe what you mean by ambiance.

For example, Baan Suan is located just off the ring road and is on the river. It's quiet and peaceful.

Palaad Tanwaron is located behind the zoo up on the mountain. It has a gorgeous view and live music (which is quite loud).

You'll get a lot of suggestions unless you're a bit more specific

My two top choices would be:

Khun Churn - veg food restaurant tho. But great food, great price, great setting, and a mix of clientele.

Lemon Tree - Huay Kaew (there is another branch, but I only know the Hauy Kaew branch). The set up inside is pretty basic, but the food is superb (imo). Again very good value.

Wow, difficult; because there are so many...

I'll list 4 in no specific order...

Im Pla Pao

Soom Non Sri

Loong Rat's

Tung Prik Tung King (spelling??)

All four are really good IMHO with very diverse menus and nice Thai ambiance. Soom Non Sri and Tung Prik Tung King have entertainment every night. Loong Rat's has some unusual items on the menu like crocodile and cobra. All tend to be completely full on weekends.

Lemon Tree - Huay Kaew (there is another branch, but I only know the Hauy Kaew branch). The set up inside is pretty basic, but the food is superb (imo). Again very good value.

absolutely. superb quality food and excellent value for money. they'll also deliver to you for a 10 baht charge if you don't live too far from there.

For atmosphere, especially around twilight, I rather like Khao Mao Khao Fang. Turn into the Ratchapruek road from Hang don road and do the first U-turn after a few hundred metres and it's on the left.

Outdoor tables are set on a wide broadwalk around a man made lake and with the sun going down behind the trees makes for a beautiful atmosphere. There is some interesting architecture amongst the open air but mostly covered restaurant,with some other tables around a waterfall feature.

The food (Thai) is very good, service adequate and the tables set far enough apart for private conversation. It's not cheap but not overpriced for the setting and quality.

There's a huge car park out front which is normally busy with minibuses. If you visit, make sure you check out the bathrooms!

Regards Bojo

Where is Camedara please?

I assume you mean Comedara. If you go east over the Nakhonping Bridge and turn right at the intersection with traffic lights, you will find it on the right side of the road about fifty or sixty meters from the intersection.

Yes, thank you.

Rasseru, were you a spelling teacher at some point in your life? Not capitalizing letters, wacky grammar and not punctuating bother me much more than minor spelling errors, but you never mention these mistakes at all and they are widespread on Thai Visa - Interesting. :)

Where is Camedara please?

I assume you mean Comedara. If you go east over the Nakhonping Bridge and turn right at the intersection with traffic lights, you will find it on the right side of the road about fifty or sixty meters from the intersection.

Its obvious what UG meant

I go to Aroon Rai near Thapae Gate a lot because their papaya salad -Som Tam - and vegetable curries are really good and it is convienient. Some people say that it is over-rated though

I also eat sometimes at Aroon Rai. Have been a customer there for more than 20 years. In my opinion, the folks that say it's overrated are simply repeating someone elses crap. Not always delicious, but good enough for me :)

There's a lot of threads on the best burgers, Pizza's, fish & Chips and all the rest of it, but what would you guys consider to be the best Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai. Not the Beer Stube's or the Blue Diamonds, but somewhere perhaps with a bit more of a Thai feel to it?

Cheers

Aitch

If you want to go outside the city, I have a couple.

On first ring road not far from Rimping Supermarket is a Moo Baan Chiang Mai garden Land, in front of that is “That Garden” always many people and grade Thai Food, or on second Ring road not far from the Moo Baan Laguna homes there is a small restaurant also very good, on theses restaurants you should be Lucy if you meet other foreigner, so you will get real Thai Food and not something there are changed for tourist.

If you don’t know the moo banns, they can be difficult to find, let me know if you want a map J

/Claus

Khun Churn - veg food restaurant tho. But great food, great price, great setting, and a mix of clientele.

I agree, Lemontree & Khun Churn are good choices, & here are a few more

Le Gong Khum, in the first going on the left going from Rincome intersection down Huay Keauw towards town. Vietnamese food is good & the garden setting delightful. Pretty quiet location in a small 'resort'.

Cafe de Nimman on Niimmanhaemin, great student place, good thai food, good value, iffy service but very laid back.

Hong Tauw on Nimmanhaemin, opp Amari Rincome, has pleasing food & is very relaxed. Great if you like old clocks!!!

Comedara, had a wobbly quality session a while ago but now seems good again. Lovely relaxed outdoor riverside evening setting.

Krua Nimman in the market area opp Hillside 4 on Huay Keauw, interesting food, regularly changing specials and a comfortable bar next door also run by Krit and good value.

Spice adjacent to Galare food court at the Night Market has Thai as well as Indian influenced food.

Pun Pun is a fantastic vegetarian place behind the Monk Chat room in Wat Suan Dok. Delicious salads & other veg food, great fruit smoothies, and amazingly cheap. Outdoors so not great in the rain but refreshingly secluded. Not open Wednesday.

Suan Pak right next to the Airport Plaza on the airport road has good main restaurant, excellent noodle restaurant & a salad restaurant all in a quiet compound.

IMHO Palaad Tawanron is a tourist trap with awful service at times & not great food but a superb setting, Im Pla Pow is great for fish but is a bit of a 'factory' as it gets sooooo busy.

Somewhere really off the wall, Collina at Kad Khamtieng flower market behind Tesco. Tiny scruffy outdoor place with tasty basic food & lots of adjacent stalls for gardening fanatics to wander around.

CM is a fascinating mix of places & cuisines but why no Indonesian restaurant???!!!

Le Gong Khum, in the first going on the left going from Rincome intersection down Huay Keauw towards town. Vietnamese food is good & the garden setting delightful. Pretty quiet location in a small 'resort'.

Cafe de Nimman on Niimmanhaemin, great student place, good thai food, good value, iffy service but very laid back.

Hong Tauw on Nimmanhaemin, opp Amari Rincome, has pleasing food & is very relaxed. Great if you like old clocks!!!

Comedara, had a wobbly quality session a while ago but now seems good again. Lovely relaxed outdoor riverside evening setting.

Krua Nimman in the market area opp Hillside 4 on Huay Keauw, interesting food, regularly changing specials and a comfortable bar next door also run by Krit and good value.

Spice adjacent to Galare food court at the Night Market has Thai as well as Indian influenced food.

Pun Pun is a fantastic vegetarian place behind the Monk Chat room in Wat Suan Dok. Delicious salads & other veg food, great fruit smoothies, and amazingly cheap. Outdoors so not great in the rain but refreshingly secluded. Not open Wednesday.

Suan Pak right next to the Airport Plaza on the airport road has good main restaurant, excellent noodle restaurant & a salad restaurant all in a quiet compound.

IMHO Palaad Tawanron is a tourist trap with awful service at times & not great food but a superb setting, Im Pla Pow is great for fish but is a bit of a 'factory' as it gets sooooo busy.

Somewhere really off the wall, Collina at Kad Khamtieng flower market behind Tesco. Tiny scruffy outdoor place with tasty basic food & lots of adjacent stalls for gardening fanatics to wander around.

CM is a fascinating mix of places & cuisines but why no Indonesian restaurant???!!!

I thought the topic was Thai food only. One of the above talks about Vietnamese food. I agree that Colina is an excellent Thai restaurant as well, although with a limited menu. I concur regarding Palaad Tawanron... "awful service at times & not great food but a superb setting..."

Edited by elektrified

There's a lot of talk here about the Lemon Tree , and i agree that both food and price are very good. But a nice relaxing place to eat with a traditional Thai ambience? Hardly! It reminds me of a Greasy Joe's roadside cafe but with much better nosh. But grubby white walls, bright fluorescent lighting, and hoards of people clonking up and down the stairs every 2 minutes, hardly makes it the kind of place you would want to spend a pleasant evening with friends.

If you're hungry and want some good nosh in a no thrills environment then yes, the Lemon Tree takes some beating, but it really is little more than an 'eat your grub, pay your bill, and leave' type of an establishment. IMHO of course :)

Aitch

^ Agree totally with your description and lack of ambience in Lemon Tree. But, if you get take out or delivered you can set up your own ambiance. A picnic somewhere or just a nice meal at home without fuss. :)

true, thread title said 'great thai food', not great ambience and restaurant design. lemon tree wouldn't be the value for money it is if the owners spent a fortune on fixtures and fittings.

place near there does good food in a lovely atmosphere as it goes, sudsanan. about 100 yds to the left of lemon tree as you're looking at it and down a small soi. really nice outdoorsy place with great food and lovely live acoustic music.

Let me update Cafe de Nimman. Today food fine but the service was dreadful, sullen inatentive & at 2pm they could not even find change for a 1000 baht note for my 400 baht lunch. Maybe that is why the place was almost empty.

Pun Pun is great, a lovely place where you sit outside and the food's well priced (50 baht or under)and tasty.

A little bit further up on Suthep Road, turning left out of Waat Suan Dok, is a great Thai style vegetarian restaurant that does a really nice Khao Soi (special Chiang Mai dish) for only 20 baht.

See a map and more details at this page:

www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-accommodation.html (letters I and J on the map).

There's a good restaurant too on Moon Muang Soi 9, inside the moat, called the Grace House Restaurant. See number 20 on this page and map:

www.thailand-travel-help.com.chiang-mai-information.html

The penang curry fo 50 baht is delicious and they give generous portions...

Sorry, where can I find this (and other veggie places) in CM?

soi 1 nimmah.rd?

i remember there was a huge blog about vegetarian food here in the chiang mai section, should be easy to search.

although i am not vegetarian myself i find more and more a lot of the thai food tastes best without the meats.

for example the kao soi, a very good one just three buildings west of chiang mai gate at the vegetarian place there.big portion too and just 25 batzkies.