Eide Vs Ide

JJDinsay

Your new cd writer should be backward compatible.

Check the settings on the new drive, is it master or slave.

Best to set it as master and anyother drive on the same cable as slave.

If in doubt, disconnect your old cd drive, until you have the new one running.

Did you use the new cable that came with the drive?

A friend was having trouble installing a DVD writer, it turned out that the

old cable was a little frayed and casuing the problem.

Your new cd writer should be backward compatible.

Should...

Check the settings on the new drive, is it master or slave.

Best to set it as master and anyother drive on the same cable as slave.

If in doubt, disconnect your old cd drive, until you have the new one running.

Master Drive is at the end of the Cable, Slave in the middle...

Did you use the new cable that came with the drive?

A friend was having trouble installing a DVD writer, it turned out that the

old cable was a little frayed and casuing the problem.

Often forgotten: have you checked the BIOS Settings? Maybe the channel is disabled...

I don't think it matters if the master is at the end or the middle of the cable. You can set either to be master, and either to be slave irrespective of their position on the cable. Just make sure one is master, and one is slave.

I did find that my dreadful nu dvd burner clashes with my lite-on cd burner and any attempt to use the 2 together results in chaos, most especially frives that will not stop spinning, and eject buttons that won't work. Now I use one or the other. Both are connected and working, just that I won't select multiple burners, or try and copy from one machine to the other.

JJDinsay - Your system (which I assume is running Win98 or newer) should detect the new hardware using the plug-and-play (or is it "plug-and-pray") feature. You may want to check your CMOS to see if the auto-detect function is activated. (Note: A dead or near dead CMOS battery could cause you to loose this, and other auto detect functions.)

For info, without getting into too much detail, IDE and EIDE are just a few of the "popular", but sometimes incorrect names given to the ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) specifications established for various interfaces. Other names include: ATA, ATA/ATAPI, EIDE, ATA-2, Fast ATA, ATA-3, Ultra ATA, Ultra DMA.

IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics while EIDE is a name dreamed up by Western Digital and stands for Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics. It does not have "official" standing and specifications labeled EIDE are often changed by manufacturers as a part of their marketing strategy.

ATA specifications are developed and maintained by the following organizations:

- T13 (T13 Technical Committee)

- ANSI (American National Standards Institute)

- NCITS (National Committee for Information Technology)

- ITIC (Information Technology Industry Council)

To avoid confusion, it is best to refer to these specifications by their correct ATA standard (ATA-1, ATA-2, ATA3, etc., etc.), and not just "nick" names. (I believe the latest is now ATA-7.)

Hope you get your problem worked out soon.

cheers

:o

Assuming you've stuck it onto a cable that already has one device, it's most likely that you're trying to run with both devices set to master. (and one is working, and one isn't).

Standard rule is, if you've got 2 devices on the same ide cable, you should set one to master and one to slave (the jumpers are usually next to the IDE socket, and nowadays are almost always labelled.)

The alternative is to set both devices to cable select (C/S), at which point whether they're plugged in at the end or middle of the cable decides which is the master. (i.e. RBO's post only makes sense if he always sets things to cable select).

That's the most likely thing - the other one I've done in the past is somehow plug the IDE cable the wrong way around, but you'd have to have unplugged it from the motherboard to do that...

As a general performance hint, you should set the newer or faster device to be the master. (Also you should try and avoid mixing hard drives and CD/DVD on the same cable - it will work, but again, could impact performance).

The alternative is to set both devices to cable select (C/S), at which point whether they're plugged in at the end or middle of the cable decides which is the master. (i.e. RBO's post only makes sense if he always sets things to cable select).

Also, the cable must have a "twist" in it between the slave and master drive connectors in order for the cable select to work! Once upon a time there were both twisted and straight cables floating around, although I think almost all have a twist these days.

If it's working on another PC - then I'd start looking at the cables and also the BIOS/drivers.

If the jumper on the drive is set to master - it would explain it working on the other machine, but not NOT working on the second IDE channel. (BIOS may have that turned off, but seems rather weird... - more likely a socket issue, but even that seems a bit unlikely given you're only using the second socket because the drive's not working on the first...)

One question - what operating system is it - is it the same one on both PCs - as it could be a driver issue on an older O/S (i.e Windows 98).