Thai Driver's License

bhatmasterson

Does anyone know if when applying for a Thai driver's license the letter of current residence "MUST" be certified by an Embassy of your Country. Or is there another way round this? Seems I remember reading somewhere on the forum that there is a fee involved which wasn't always the case.

Thanks

No, all you need is a Certificate of Residence available at CM Immigration for 500 Baht. Bring copies of your passport, visa, departure card as well as your rental contract and 1 or 2 photos - I think 1 is sufficient.

Thank you for your prompt response elektrified!

Does anyone know if when applying for a Thai driver's license the letter of current residence "MUST" be certified by an Embassy of your Country. Or is there another way round this? Seems I remember reading somewhere on the forum that there is a fee involved which wasn't always the case.

Thanks

You'll need a doctor's note too, go to any clinic and they'll issue you one for about 50 Bht. If you have a cuurent D/L from your own country you can get a Thai Licence based on that. You're probably doing that right? Don't forget the 1st licence will be for one year, after that it will be for five years.

No, all you need is a Certificate of Residence available at CM Immigration for 500 Baht. Bring copies of your passport, visa, departure card as well as your rental contract and 1 or 2 photos - I think 1 is sufficient.

Or if you have a work permit you can use that instead of the Certificate of Residence.

/Claus

Or if you have a work permit you can use that instead of the Certificate of Residence.

/Claus

Give it a shot with the above info, see how it goes and let me know, please, for future reference.

Caveat: I went to CM Immigration with passport, 1 year B visa, work permit and 3 years worth of residential leases and Immigration told me to get bent, as I wasn't on a residential visa. I then went to the consulate and got the boilerplate document they give you for about 35 bucks and all was well at the License Department.

This was 3 years ago mind you (I have a 5 year license now), and this being Thailand, your results may vary.

/Claus

Give it a shot with the above info, see how it goes and let me know, please, for future reference.

Caveat: I went to CM Immigration with passport, 1 year B visa, work permit and 3 years worth of residential leases and Immigration told me to get bent, as I wasn't on a residential visa. I then went to the consulate and got the boilerplate document they give you for about 35 bucks and all was well at the License Department.

This was 3 years ago mind you (I have a 5 year license now), and this being Thailand, your results may vary.

Thanks very much for all the additional info. I will report back after the ordeal :)

just got driving licenses.

letter of residence free from immigration, took them copy of landlords housebook, copy of lease, doctors cert [30baht], 2 photos [4 for 60baht] copy of passport relevant pages, arrived at local immigration office with big big thai type smile, impressed the boss. out in 15 minutes including chat with officer who complemented me on looking 10 years younger than my real age.. all very nice and civilized.

followed up at driving license place by a painless exchange of documents for new license after 7 years of driving on uk license, [360 bahts for car and bike] plus a bag of cakes for staff to have with coffee for being so nice and helpful to old farang.

TiT. make the most of it

I'm due soon to get my 5 year license. I am encouraged to hear maybe I can get the letter of residence from Thai Immigration rather than the U.S. Embassy in BKK. I hate to make the trip there.

I'll ask the wife to call the Ayutthya immigration office to see if they will give me one. I don't have a rental agreement, but the wife has a home (but my name is not on it).

Mad at myself for not thinking ahead and getting the residence letter from my embassy when I was there to get my income letter last month for my visa extension. The upcoming new driver's license never occurred to this old fart.

Just got back from renewing my driver's licenses for both bike and car.

First went to immigration for residence certificate and the following was required:

Completed application form for residence certificate.

Copy of picture page of passport, current visa page, and current departure card.

2 photos

Copy of lease or rental agreement.

Copy of owner's book.

Copy of owner's ID card.

Everything needs to be signed INCLUDING OWNER'S SIGNATURE on appropriate documents.

500 baht

Then went to motor vehicle dept. and the following was required:

Original residence certificate.

Copy of passport, visa, and departure card.

Medical certicate.

Current driver's license(s)

Remember if you are getting a license for bike and car you need a copy of each of these documents for each license.

Again, everything needs to be signed.

Fee for bike and car licenses for 5 years 1060 baht.

Went to immigration at 8:30 and walked out of motor vehicle with 2 new licenses at 10:00. All in all, a fairly painless experience.

First went to immigration for residence certificate and the following was required:

Copy of picture page of passport, current visa page, and current departure card.

2 photos

Copy of owner's book.

Copy of owner's ID card.

Everything needs to be signed INCLUDING OWNER'S SIGNATURE on appropriate documents.

500 baht

Medical certicate.

Remember if you are getting a license for bike and car you need a copy of each of these documents for each license.

Went to immigration at 8:30 and walked out of motor vehicle with 2 new licenses at 10:00. All in all, a fairly painless experience.

Original Cert of Residence,OK,got caught with that one today.Asked if they could not cite and return original keeping copies as I want to apply for a Yellow Tabian Baan next week, original required there as well.NO,NO NO oh yes we can accept copy but instead of the 5yr. you want, we'll give you a 1yr.

Ok 5yrs.,thanks very much.Back to Immigration,2x Cert of Residence in one day=Yellow Tabian Baan.

Don't you just luv it?????

Can anyone just confirm the following please?

Is this a form that is found at the Immigration office on arrival?

Copy of owner's book.

What is the 'Owner's Book?' Is this a single page or a muli page document/book. Does this mean that those of us in rented condos have to contact the condo owner and request this? In my case the owner of this particular condo lives in Hua Hin somewhere, so may or may not be obliging. Anyway, will check to see

Copy of owner's ID card.

I think there is info on both sides of a Thai ID card, so it would be my guess that both sides are required on the copy. Is this correct?

This is normal in Thai buracracy, but good point top make as not everyone will know this and it could hinder their application

Cheers

Aitch

2 photos

Copy of owner's book.

Copy of owner's ID card.

500 baht

Medical certicate.

Original Cert of Residence,OK,got caught with that one today.Asked if they could not cite and return original keeping copies as I want to apply for a Yellow Tabian Baan next week, original required there as well.NO,NO NO oh yes we can accept copy but instead of the 5yr. you want, we'll give you a 1yr.

Ok 5yrs.,thanks very much.Back to Immigration,2x Cert of Residence in one day=Yellow Tabian Baan.

Don't you just luv it?????

I have learned to follow the letter of the law exactly. dam_n well without exception we would need to return with the exact required document. Why fight it? Not me anymore. Back to the <deleted> BKK Embassy again for me.

LATE BULLETIN ON CHIANG MAI IMMIGRATION LETTERS OF RESIDENCE

I spoke with a fellow who told me that on 9 July 2009, the CM Immigration Office was NOT issuing residence letters! This was from his own personal experience on the morning of that date, one hour before I happened to run into him. And he is not some kind of nut.

Edited by Mapguy

Drew Aitch and others,

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The application form for a residence certificate is available at Immigration.

My copy of the owner's book was only one page. It was in Thai so I don't know what it said but I'm assuming it's like a title and verifies ownership of the property.

I can't remember if both sides of the owner's ID were on my copy or not but I would suggest doing both.

One other thing that might help is to know that the window for obtaining the residence certificate is the last window on the right as you are facing the office.

I would also agree with comments on various posts that if you go about things in a pleasant and understandig manner, things tend to go much smoother.

I just got my 5 year's thai driver's license. If you're a US citizen, you don't have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok to get the certificate of residence. The consulate can do it here in Chiang mai. Very easy and very fast. Just go to the consulate website to make an appointment. Also, you no longer need a doctor's certificate to get the driver's license.. And don't get photos taken. For slightly more money you can get a Smartcard driver's license that has the picture imprinted in the plastic. It's nearly impervious to any kind of damage short of fire..

LATE BULLETIN ON CHIANG MAI IMMIGRATION LETTERS OF RESIDENCE

I spoke with a fellow who told me that on 9 July 2009, the CM Immigration Office was NOT issuing residence letters! This was from his own personal experience on the morning of that date, one hour before I happened to run into him. And he is not some kind of nut.

I applied for and received Cert of Residence on 10 July 2009,yesterday.The fellow you spoke with may not some kind of nut,but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I applied for and received Cert of Residence on 10 July 2009,yesterday.The fellow you spoke with may not some kind of nut,but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's possible it could be a nationality thing. I was there a couple of years ago and they asked where i was from. I said the UK, and they said that British nationals had to go to their embassy or consulate for a letter of residence. At over 2,000 Baht a pop, one can't help but feel someone was getting a cut for sending the Brits to that sleepy little consulate in CM.

Since that time, I know Brits have been able to get letters of residences again from the immigration, but reading the above post, it might be, we, or some other nationality, may be getting referred back to their embassy.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

It's possible it could be a nationality thing. I was there a couple of years ago and they asked where i was from. I said the UK, and they said that British nationals had to go to their embassy or consulate for a letter of residence. At over 2,000 Baht a pop, one can't help but feel someone was getting a cut for sending the Brits to that sleepy little consulate in CM.

Since that time, I know Brits have been able to get letters of residences again from the immigration, but reading the above post, it might be, we, or some other nationality, may be getting referred back to their embassy.

Aitch

When I applied for my first licence (2 years ago) I had to go to the UK consulate and pay their rip-off fee for a letter of residence.

When I applied for my renewal (earlier this year) the driving licence centre told me that there had been a change in procedure and letters of residence could now be obtained from the immigration office. This was a simple exercise and cost 500 baht.

Regards

Edited by piercefilmlid

Hang on! Hang on!

Advice from two years ago, perhaps two months or two weeks ago, is often not useful.

I can report on the situation this week. The Immigration Office in Chiang Mai is apparently not now issuing residence permits. [sorry, this is a report from a guy who has a lot of successful experience in Thailand but still chooses to wear a pigtail like some '60s Mother Earth child and dresses in a dirty tee shirt and nasty [but long] pants! Nonetheless, he did not moan and groan after being turned away; just went to his consular people for the necessary.]

Never mind the reasons for this apparent change of policy. The reasons for which are probably interesting. It might be temporary.

Anyway, just phone first! You can! Just be practical. Thai bureaucracy isn't really any different from bureaucratic behavior anywhere else!

Edited by Mapguy

Hang on! Hang on!

Advice from two years ago, perhaps two months or two weeks ago, is often not useful.

I can report on the situation this week. The Immigration Office in Chiang Mai is apparently not now issuing residence permits. [sorry, this is a report from a guy who has a lot of successful experience in Thailand but still chooses to wear a pigtail like some '60s Mother Earth child and dresses in a dirty tee shirt and nasty [but long] pants! Nonetheless, he did not moan and groan after being turned away; just went to his consular people for the necessary.]

Never mind the reasons for this apparent change of policy. The reasons for which are probably interesting. It might be temporary.

Anyway, just phone first! You can! Just be practical. Thai bureaucracy isn't really any different from bureaucratic behavior anywhere else!

Anyone who has dealt with Thai bureaucracy will know that rules and procedures can change without notice. So the situation this week is also not often helpful to someone reading this thread next week. As you say, it might be temporary.

Also, as I have experienced, two different officials in the same office can give contradicting advice on the same day.

When I attend Thai government offices I show some respect by dressing smartly, and I think this really helps in getting the document I am after.

I agree, phone first and be practical.

Regards

Edited by piercefilmlid

Hang on! Hang on!

Anyone who has dealt with Thai bureaucracy will know that rules and procedures can change without notice. So the situation this week is also not often helpful to someone reading this thread next week. As you say, it might be temporary.

Also, as I have experienced, two different officials in the same office can give contradicting advice on the same day.

When I attend Thai government offices I show some respect by dressing smartly, and I think this really helps in getting the document I am after.

Regards

I can second that! I'm guessing it's possible that you can get two different policies from the same official at different times of the day! Maybe it's his/her satisfaction with the lunch they've had, or whatever.

Hang on! Hang on!

Regards

I can second that! I'm guessing it's possible that you can get two different policies from the same official at different times of the day! Maybe it's his/her satisfaction with the lunch they've had, or whatever.

Has anybody posting here applied for a Cert. of Residency in the last week?Try posts#11 and #17 no problem,same girl,same window,after explaining Land and Traffic kept original,no more paperwork,computer spitout+B500.Hey everybody,get the paperwork right,no dramas,no problems and certainly no belligerence from the Immigration staff,and I had to go back and get a second one on the same day.lighten up.

/Claus

I only had my work permit, doctor's letter, US driver's license, and passport, and mine went through without a hitch. I just renewed last year and got my five year one.

Hope that helps!

2 photos

Copy of owner's book.

Copy of owner's ID card.

500 baht

Medical certicate.

Not true. You do not need these. I've gotten 3 Certificates of Residence at CM Immigration; including one just about two weeks ago. No one is going to hand out their ID and house book to a farang tenant any way.

Drew Aitch and others,

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The application form for a residence certificate is available at Immigration.

My copy of the owner's book was only one page. It was in Thai so I don't know what it said but I'm assuming it's like a title and verifies ownership of the property.

I can't remember if both sides of the owner's ID were on my copy or not but I would suggest doing both.

One other thing that might help is to know that the window for obtaining the residence certificate is the last window on the right as you are facing the office.

I would also agree with comments on various posts that if you go about things in a pleasant and understandig manner, things tend to go much smoother.

You absolutely do not need the owner's book and the owner's ID card. Only the copy of your Rental Contract is necessary, along with copies of your passport and a photo.

You absolutely do not need the owner's book and the owner's ID card. Only the copy of your Rental Contract is necessary, along with copies of your passport and a photo.

All I needed for my last 5 year licence was my rental agreement, photos, and copies of the relevant passport pages. No house owner details were asked for.

The time before that they were issued free with production of a utilities bill in your name at the address stated. The only constant here is change :)

/Claus

Thanks very much for all the additional info. I will report back after the ordeal :)

It is true that if you have a valid work permit you do not need the certificate of residence. One or the other is fine. You must bring the original. A copy will not be accepted. My work permit in currently in transition so I had two nice color copies which were rejected.

I applied for my certificate of residence yesterday and received same after presenting my passport, two copies each of the photo and visa pages, one copy of my lease agreement, two photos, a completed application form and 500 bt. I arrived early but still waited about one hour for processing.

Thanks

If you have a valid work permit a certificate of residence is not needed.

Be careful where you go for a medical check up. I went to McCormick Hospital because I'm familiar with the system there. Had my blood pressure checked and everything looked fine until they brought out the Ishihara test for color blindness. It's the one that uses the mixture of colored dots to reveal sometimes hidden numbers or letters.

The nurse told me I'm red blue color blind which I already knew. I tried to explain that I could see the important colors just fine but she wouldn't listen. She then sent me to the eye clinic where I was given the test again and told again about my problem. The doc told me I can't drive in Thailand because I can't see.

I walked out of the hospital and went to a clinic on Moon Muang rd. where the only thing that was examined was my passport, and was issued the necessary doctor's note. 100 bt.

I almost turned around and walked out of the license bureau when I was called in as part of a group for the mandatory vision check. They had a large Ishihara chart on the wall and I knew there was no way I was getting a license because from where I was standing I already know I couldn't see anything but dots. As it turns out, the examiner was pointing to individual dots and asking, " What color?" " Red, Yellow, Bule, or Green?" I passed the test.