Sending Usd$ To A Bank In The Uk

Hi, I need to transfer money to an HSBC account in the UK, but the amount I send them needs to be USD$. Last time I did it I used an online banking site (Australian based) and sent it succesfully but the recipient was charged a USD$25.00 handling fee. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to do the transfer and avoid the USD$25 fee?

I was told that the fee is charged when an intermediate bank s involved. Would it be any different if I went into a bank branch and did the transfer?

From my own experience with HSBC in Bangkok .... if you send money abroad in a currency different to that of the receiving country, the sending bank will have to send the money to a "foreign" bank in the receiving country. This is required to effect settlement with the remitting bank. So, sending USD to the UK means the money will be sent to a US bank in the UK who will then need to forward the money on to wherever, and you will get billed a handling charge from the intermediary (US) bank.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US almost all the banks charge a fee to receive a wire transfer, dont know why. Have sent money from Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, UK to my US account and always get charged a fee from my receiving account in the US. Guess you will just need to send a little extra to cover the fee.

Thanks for your reply, I had suspected such but wasn't sure. Looks like I'll have to wear the USD$25.00 fee, the banks must be making some good money on that fee, I'm sure that when businesses transfer large amounts of cash they don't even question the fee.

Thanks for your reply, I had suspected such but wasn't sure. Looks like I'll have to wear the USD$25.00 fee, the banks must be making some good money on that fee, I'm sure that when businesses transfer large amounts of cash they don't even question the fee.

the banks provide a service. for that service they are charging a fee. but the procedures to avoid that fee are various and rather simple. one of your options is: fly to the UK, take the money in cash with you and hand it over to the recipient. :)

[signed: Naam - striving to be the most hated poster on Thaivisa]

the banks provide a service. for that service they are charging a fee. but the procedures to avoid that fee are various and rather simple. one of your options is: fly to the UK, take the money in cash with you and hand it over to the recipient. :)

But that would cost more than the $25 fee he's trying to save.

Putting it in an envelope and posting it would be much cheaper.

But that would cost more than the $25 fee he's trying to save.

Putting it in an envelope and posting it would be much cheaper.

Definitely. And can be done by buying a draft and posting it. Though I've only done sterling drafts to UK so far, I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult/expensive to send/process a dollar draft in the UK. Anyone done it?

CMMCB

But that would cost more than the $25 fee he's trying to save. Putting it in an envelope and posting it would be much cheaper.

= not safe! the OP could save some money by taking a rowboat instead of a flight :D

the banks provide a service. for that service they are charging a fee. but the procedures to avoid that fee are various and rather simple. one of your options is: fly to the UK, take the money in cash with you and hand it over to the recipient. :D

But that would cost more than the $25 fee he's trying to save. Putting it in an envelope and posting it would be much cheaper.

= not safe! the OP could save some money by taking a rowboat instead of a flight :D

or work as a stoker on steamship freighter :)