Live Rugby League

My apologies; I failed to set the alarm through tiredness and strong drink. I woke up at four, and thought about tuning in for the end of the game, but decided against it. I've not even checked the scores yet.

Widnes fell by a missed conversion, with Wakefield rising mid-table 9tenth), four points clear of the bottom.

This weekend's big game is in the other code, though - Owen Farrell v Johnny Wilkinson at Twickenham on Sunday

SC

• Like 1

Rather than watch Castleford Tigers at Barton on Irwell, we went tiger hunting down at Gasing. With a lure of wild boar (curried, as it happens) we tempted them out into the open and then downed four. Big ones, as well. Anyway, one thing led to another... so I'm watching the replay this afternoon, with a bit of a sore head from the tigers

Yes some of you hate Manly (where men are men and men are Manly!), without us league would be s@@t. Great to see some Poms still follow the game, we have hope to bring this game to the forefront everytime someone mentions sport! Go to the beaches and see the love we have for league, that cannot be denied!

While not live commentary, great to see the Rabbitohs smash the Broncos tonight. Like Manly, if this club goes strong, so does the future of league in Australia. One team we(you) hate, one we all have a soft spot for.

• Like 1

I'm watching the replay of Leeds running riot against Bradford. There's not a lot more to say.

Elsewhere in the other code Japan are hosting South Korea, while the Glasgow Sevens kicks off in a few hours.

But tonight we have Wakefield Catalans to look forward to.

Wakey Wakey, David!

SC

WAKEY WAKEY! as vivien would say....

You join us two minutes into the game and it's still scoreless.

When I say 'Us', I mean the Eurosport team, and myself, and the Catalan Dragons, at Belle Vue (now the Rapid Solicitors) Stadium. I've not had a good view of the referee yet, and the video ref has not yet been called upon, so you are left with your pointless speculations.

Wakey have forced a goal line drop out...

SC

I think it's Phil Bentham with the whistle. I'm not sure who's on the line.. I don't know if you saw the HKG - Japan game last week, but one of the linesmen was a lineslady...

And regardless of what happens in the rest of this weekend, surely the most remarkable result will be Widnes' 28 - 35 away victory at Langtree Park over St Helens.

Smokie will be happy with Hull's 48-12 win over the Capitalists, while Warrington travel to Huddersfield tomorrow; I'm afraid you can expect a bit of commentary there, as we have a surprise holiday on Monday....

My apologies for not paying attention, but Peter Fox has followed up his try in Perpignan in March with an equaliser tonight.

EDIT: and the commentators are getting a bit huffy about a refereeing error or otherwise...

It's a hard dry surface this afternoon in Wakefield, which may suit Catalans

But Danny Caremont has scored from a shocking Thomas Bosc kick and Wakefield are 10 - 6 in front.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

And a penalty gioal in the closing minutes of the first half sees Wakefield extend their lead to 12-6... and a try on the penultimate second makes it 18 - 6 ! Oh la la et Sacre bleue!

And Wakefield are confidently ahead as they approach the final quarter 30 - 6 ahead (and I can tell you that the video referee is Richard Silverwood)

And Wakefield leapfrog back over Widnes with their 30 - 12 win over Catalans to recover tenth place...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

And Wakefield are confidently ahead as they approach the final quarter 30 - 6 ahead (and I can tell you that the video referee is Richard Silverwood)

And Wakefield leapfrog back over Widnes with their 30 - 12 win over Catalans to recover tenth place...

SC

I believe that this short post was amongst your best.

Please note that the score and the winning team involved had naught to do with me appreciation!

SC

I believe that this short post was amongst your best.

Please note that the score and the winning team involved had naught to do with me appreciation!

It was certainly on the top 95%

• Like 1

Strewth, that was a bit of a rush!

I had to get back from Scotstoun, in the West End of Glasgow, where Scotland were eliminated from the Bowl Semi-Final by Kenya 24 - 19. Then a race down to Huddersfield to the John Smith Stadium - still in the same place as when it was the Sir Alfred McAlpine, and Warrington have scored a second try from a nasty bouncing kick, and its 6 - 10...

SC

EDIT: Warrington have stretched their lead 6 - 22, and Ben Thaler is dispensing words of wisdom regarding the dragging of players into touch after a

EDIT: And Danny Brough has been sin-binned and Bret Hodgson misses the goal kick.

"Warrington very much on top, Allan... that is total domination at the moment"

Edited by StreetCowboy

I had a quick trip back to Glasgow at half time, and the USA have demolished Fiji in their plate semi-final, while England are trailing South Africa in the first Cup Semi Final.

The teams are back on the field at the John Smith, while there is talk of a Superleague restructuring, and the number of teams being reduced to 12... bad news for Salford and London and Castleford; I imagine Dr K will be cursing, and may feel that the rugby league did not negotiate in good faith when he stepped in to rescue Salford Reds.

I had to get back from Scotstoun, in the West End of Glasgow, where Scotland were eliminated from the Bowl Semi-Final by Kenya 24 - 19.

<deleted> ... eliminated from by Kenya ... cheesy.gif

As a Scot ... don't you find that a little humiliating?

BTW ... thanks for the honesty of the reporting ... you could have overlooked reporting that particular result ... wai.gif

I had to get back from Scotstoun, in the West End of Glasgow, where Scotland were eliminated from the Bowl Semi-Final by Kenya 24 - 19.

BTW ... thanks for the honesty of the reporting ... you could have overlooked reporting that particular result ... wai.gif.

Not really; Kenya are one of the stronger teams, above England in the rankings. We beat Portugal and Spain, two of the teams we'll be facing in next week's Qualification Tournament.

Our objective was to finish this week better than USA, and with New Zealand and England in our pool, that was going to be a struggle. You might argue that the USA had the easier pool, with Wales and France and non-core-side Russia; anyway, USA qualified for the CUp and went on to win the Plate, leaving us languishing 13th in the World Rankings, and, as I mentioned, joining the Iberian countries, Russia, Georgia, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe and Tonga in the Qualification Tournament.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

BTW ... thanks for the honesty of the reporting ... you could have overlooked reporting that particular result ... wai.gif.

Not really; Kenya are one of the stronger teams, above England in the rankings. We beat Portugal and Spain, two of the teams we'll be facing in next week's Qualification Tournament.

Our objective was to finish this week better than USA, and with New Zealand and England in our pool, that was going to be a struggle. You might argue that the USA had the easier pool, with Wales and France and non-core-side Russia; anyway, USA qualified for the CUp and went on to win the Plate, leaving us languishing 13th in the World Rankings, and, as I mentioned, joining the Iberian countries, Russia, Georgia, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe and Tonga in the Qualification Tournament.

SC

Watch out for Tonga! They have a s@@t hot side this year, many current and former NRL players in their side. Should easy win this group (if clubs let them play).

SC

Watch out for Tonga! They have a s@@t hot side this year, many current and former NRL players in their side. Should easy win this group (if clubs let them play).

My apologies for the confusing cross-code discussion regarding the rugby sevens.

In the World Cup, everything is an unknown as the teams play each other so rarely; I don't hold out a lot of confidence for Scotland - as you say, Tonga are probably favourites in that group.

SC

Fifth round of the Challenge Cup this weekend, and in the battle of strained friendship Hull FC host Wakefield tonight. I don;t think I'll stay up for it, though...

Huddersfield Leeds is the Eurosport featured game on Saturday evening, but I'll be joining Ray and Allen at the Haliwell Jones when Warrington host Salford on Sunday. Meanwhile St Helens have decided to focus on the league this year.

SC

Rather than watching the Huddersfield Leeds game live, I'm going to slope off to the pub in between Scotland games in the Sevens Qualifying tournament; I might take my PC with me to catch Scotland HK, though.

SC

Evening, Gentlemen, sorry I'm late

"We're four and a half minoots into pley here at the Halliwell Jones, roars of Salford, Salford they're enthusiastic fans, Allan"

"Well, they are, Ray - Good afternoon, Cowboy"

"SIT DOWN!"

"Sorry, Ray"

Salford win a penalty for hauling into touch, eight metres out; Salford wearing nice clear black numbers on an all-white strip.

"Good ball out wide, its knocked down by Warrington, surely! Scrum down to Salford"

Salford pressing the Warrington line.

"Oh I thought Martin Gleeson had got it!" but Warrington (Richie Myler) are racing away with the ball and Warrington win a penalty for a spear tackle on Ryan Atkins.

You'll be pleased to hear that Scotland qualified for next year's IRB series, by the way

"ssh.. And it's a POWERFUL TRY for HILL, but it was a weak try to give away, Allan"

"And it's try time again... and I put that down to clever play by the full-back... and Mr Koukash behind me has his head in his hands"

That's Dr Koukash, Ray. Brett Hodgson lines up out on the touch line, and he's out of contract at the end of the season, if any TV readers are interested.

Some woeful Salford defending and Warrington hack the ball through the Salford bystanders and touch down for a third try and its 18 - 0 for Warrington, and it could be a long day at The Office for anyone in Soi 33 supporting Salford.

Warrington crash over the line, but Salford hold them up

"Are we being a little unfair, Allan, there's very fine rain coming down, and the ball must be a little slippery, the grass is slippery underfoot"

"Yes, Ray, it's very ... lush..."

"The standard of this game, Allan, you'd think it was under-12s"

And they're complaining about the referee's whistling - maybe he wants to be a Union ref.

"And they're looking at the ball, Allan, and they're changing the ball, which is very very interesting"

"And you can hear the crowd is getting restless, and there's a few grumbles about the quality of this game, and we... have to tell the truth" but Warrington play some good rugby, they're stopped, then Stefan Ratchford fools the Salford half-backs and scores the simplest of tries. Brian Noble, alongside Ray and I, must be wondering what he's taken on.

And I'm tempted to pop over to Hull, where Hulking Stonerovers are leading Wigan 4 - 0, last time the BBC Latest Scores was updated.

And a quick scout round the country indicates that Sheffield will probably be the only Championship side in the Quarter-Finals, after their home win over Halifax on Friday. Workington are at home trailing Widnes 16 - 0, while York are on the wrong end of a 84-8 drubbing in Perpignan, and it's not over yet...

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

And that's the way the half ends, 24 - 0 to Warrington

"Adam, Adam, we need some scores; some scores please"

"Hopeless!"

"Hello, Adam, Hello! Hello!"

Just check the web site, Ray. I've posted a couple of them up above, anyway.

"Hello, luv, we need scores, as we're commentating, we've asked Adam to give us some, but we've had nothing"

Well, Ray, I can tell you that the All Blacks have beaten Kenya 7 - 0 to reach the Cup Final, and England have scored their first try against Australia in the other semi-final.

"Somebody's just texted them into us, luv. But we need them here in the match..."

92 - 8 is a final score in Perpignan against York,

Hull KR 4 - 12 Wigan

Workington Town 0 - 18 Widnes

"That's Koukash sat next to me here, just behind. 92 - 8, eh?"

Your microphone's still on, Ray.

"Yeah, yeah, we are. Hello! Right..."

Seven all at half-time at Twickenham

"shh... and you can see why Salford are at the bottom... I just hope, Ray, that the game is stepped up in the second half"

I just had a Calvin and Hobbes moment, there - there was a tiger in the fridge!

And as the second half starts, Mickey Higham dives through three burly Salford defenders, I'll not mention them to save the embarrassment, and he's now coming off to a great round of applause, and onto the pitch comes talisman Lee Briers.

"Well if Lee Briers gets going, I really fear for this Salford side, Allan"

And Warrington break, it's a long kick through for Chris Rielly, but Ashley Gibson got his boot to the ball and kicked it dead as the spectators leapt to their feet.

And Australia have beaten England 14 - 7 at Twickenham to set up a final against New Zealand

"shh, Cowboy, and a beautiful gliding, sliding try from the master... still the crafty player that he is, still required a little side step and then under the post at the Martin Dawes end" and Lee Briers scores his first try of the afternoon.

Fages, Salford's young French signing, breaks but he's collared, and Salford win a penalty on the Warrington 20, but Warrington get the ball but he's forced over the touch line

"And why's that not a penalty? Why's that not a penalty when it was a penalty in the first half?"

'Cause they were pushing, Ray. You can push the man in to touch, but you can't drag him.

"I'm delighted with the Salford fans, Allan, they're chanting and signing and enjoying themselves'

"Good for them, Ray, they've really come to life in the second half"

"And Salford have disconcerted this Warrington pack; Chris Hill wants to come on, but none of the Warrington players want to come off"

Edited by StreetCowboy