Live Rugby League

Commiserations, Smokie, an a frustrating trip to the green green plastic of Widnes

Widnes 36 - 16 Hull; I've got the game recorded, I hope.

And Wakefield did well to score 22 points in Perpignan, but still lost

Catalans 29 - 22 Wakefield

I'll try to catch Warrington at New Craven Park against Hull KR tonight by the magic of wireless

SC

• Like 1

And here we are; Warrington win a penalty on their first set of six that gives them an attacking position in the KR half...

Two tackles to go and a metre short, but Simon Grix is held up

Its not Ray French, by the way, nor Allan Rooney

And David Hodgeson scores after a HKR penalty to open the scoring for the home team

And twenty minutes into the first half, Michael Dobson adds two points from a penalty to make it HKR 6 - 0 WAR

Warrington butcher a try but HKR knock the ball down, and Stefan Ratchford uses his agility and strength to touch down, and Brett Hodgson makes it 6 - 6.

And Hull KR recover the kickoff and Warrington under pressure, Brett Hodgson fields the kick and Warrington attack again

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And with the sides balanced as half time approaches in this nailbiting match, I'm off to my bed

SC

Eddie waring never went to bed at half time.

Maybe he didn't have work in the morning.

I was in a bad mood because the BBC had let me down, and it was the B Team commentating, instead of French & Rooney

SC

MissFarmGirl ... to you guys ... my Thai gf to me, is still yet to hang her colours up. (pick an NRL Team to cheer for ... was going to write root for ... but alas ... laugh.png )

Loves Cooper Cronk from Mbl ... but saw SBW from the Roosters last night and went WOW.

Twas a great game last night and I believe the scoreline didn't reflect the closeness of the game.

To much hype was made about SBW, the pre-recorded voice overs and the like.

I'm a big fan of his game ... though not the man. Ditto Justin Hodges from the Broncos.

SBW is a freakish player, but I've seen too many gutless shoulder charges from him to admire him. He can't get away with that now though.

Maybe she'll like Beau Ryan if she ever sees the Footy Show.

I'm sat in my boxers at Langtree Park (not literally, but virtually, by the magic of satellite television) for St Helens v Warrington. And there's a good crowd of away supporters chanting, but they seem a little nervous "Worry Worry Worry Worry Warrington"

Warrington knock down a St Helens pass and they get a second set of six mid-way into the Warrington half, and Saints keep the ball alive for Jordan Turner to dive over the line; the commentators are alluding to hints of a couple of forward passes, but Richard Silverwood doesn't pick up on such subtleties, and the try is awarded, but the conversion goes astray STH 4 - 0 WAR

And Saitns win a scrum in the middle of the pitch from an attemtped interception,and Lance Hohaia drives over near the posts.

Apparently it's two years since Warrington lost consecutive games but now they're trailing 10 - 0

Joel Monaghan charges down a kick and breaks up the pitch, he passes inside but the St Helens defence are scrambling backwards. Warrington play the ball quickly but the support hasn't caught up. Warrington pass the ball back and forth but the Saints defence has reformed and there's no way through.

But again Warrington charge down the kick, Hohaia recovers but knocks the ball on, and Warrington attack.

Adi Gardner crashes into Brett Hodgson, and he spills the ball forward. Saints attack again from their own half, and kick long into the Warrington half.

Saints attack again, and they're doing well to keep the ball in play, and now Saints are given a scrum 20 metres out; then Warrington are penalised. A long high pass out to Meli on the wing and he's able to dot the ball down over the try line for a third try,

The Saints are closing the Warrington attack down, and Warrington are barely into the opposition half before they launch a towering kick which is allowed to bounce, but its fielded by St Helens. They kick deep, and Warrington take the ball from their 20 metre line. Warrington win successive penalties. Saints smother the attack and again Warrington make a mistake - confusion between dummy runners and receivers...

It looks like Warrington have held the Saints attack, but they give away a penalty on the fifth tackle, but this time the Warrington defence is tight, and they get to the last tackle further out than they started the set of six. Saints grubber through but the ball goes dead as we pass the half hour mark.

Warrington knock on in the middle of the park, Saints knock on before they're tackled and they're called back for a Saints scrum in the middle of the pitch

Warrington attack, a high kick on the last tackle, fielded by Warrington, passed back, kicked across field, Saints knock on, Warrington recover for another set of six, but Michael Monaghan knocks on as scrum-half at the play-the-ball just as a thundering tackle sends him head over heels backwards.

Warrington attack again, and again they butcher the opportunity

Edited by StreetCowboy

Warrington attack, a high kick on the last tackle, fielded by Warrington, passed back, kicked across field, Saints knock on, Warrington recover for another set of six, but Michael Monaghan knocks on as scrum-half at the play-the-ball just as a thundering tackle sends him head over heels backwards.

Warrington attack again, and again they butcher the opportunity.

Saints are attacking from their own half, Jordan Turner loses the ball in the tackle, Warrington attack but they lose the ball and Saints are away down the field like a Class 43 belting through Warrington Bank Quay but they're pulled back for the original knock-on, Warrington take the ball from the scrum and Chris Bridge goes over in the corner; Uncharacteristically, Hodgson misses the conversion and that's the end of the first half WAR 4 - 14 STH

EDIT: I must be suffering from the drink last night - I don't know where I am...this game's being played at the Haliwell Jones Stadium where the Tetley's brewery used to stand, just up from the Lord Rodney. No wonder you guys couldn't make it here. My apologies for the duff directions...

• Like 1

And Warrington attack with more determination in the second half. A high cross kick comes off Adi Gardner's chest and Warrington have an attacking set of six close to the Saints line. Ryan Atkins keeps the ball alive, twisting through the tackles, Warrington kick through and Johnny Lomax pats the ball dead for a goal line drip out.

Richie Myler finds half a gap... Ryan Atkins kicks through and Johnny Lomax is tackled with his elbow just over the whitewash.

Another charge-down and Saints have another set of six starting from their own 30 metre line and James Roby kicks downfield to relieve the pressure.

Stefan Ratchford loses the ball forward in the tackle to give Saints an attacking opportunity and Warrington's goal line defence keep the ball out to deny Saints a fourth try; and Richard Silverwood and the TV match official agree with Stevo - no try. Who is that man in the shadows with such power - there's no point speculating...

Saints play the ball, kick through, Ben Westwood touches the ball down for a goal line drop out, Saints come back...

Warrington attack, and its their turn to keep the ball alive, but they kick early and Johnny Lomax does well to get the ball bac into the field of play.

Saints are still looking fresh as they run the ball back at Warrington, over the half way line, a high kick to Chris Bridge, still no score in this second half as we approach the sixty-minute mark.

Saints win a penalty for a high tackle, and slot over two points for the first score of the second half - 4 - 16.

A penalty takes Warrington up to the 20 metre mark, Atkins passes the ball from the tackle back to Hodgson, to Reilly, pulled up a metre short, Saints knock the ball down, scrum to Warrington ten metres out...

But the Saints defence is up quickly to stifle the Warrington attack; Grix almost finds a way through, but Saints hold them out and win a penalty for stealing the ball

Chris Hill loses the ball in the tackle, it falls into James Roby's arms, and he's off to score behind the posts to seal the win for Sint Helens with ten minutes to go, and I can tell you that the video referee is Ian Smith.

WAR 4 - 22 STH a fair reward for the aggression and control that Saints have shown.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Richie Myler skips through the Saint Helens defence, the support is with him and Chris Bridge touches down for his second try and Hodgson converts it quickly. From the kick off Warrington break again. Four minutes to go and trailing by 12 points.. Warrington are denied a penalty and lose the ball forward.

And the Imam's out now, with the call to prayers, but no-one's leaving the ground yet...

Two minutes to go, and Warrington are desperately trying everything, but they're not getting the breaks that they need.

One minute to go, and Saints win a second set of six, can they stretch their lead? Wilkin pulls a drop goal wide, and the game ends WAR 10 - 22 STH

Meanwhile, elsewhere you could probably hear in Warrington the cheers from the Stobart Stadium as 12-man Widnes scraped a draw 22 all with a late penalty against Bradford, while fifteen miles up the M6 Wigan crushed the Catalans 38 - 0.

Smokie will be pleased as Hull FC hammer Castleford 52 - 0; Wakefield host Salford on Sunday afternoon, but I think most of us will be cheering on the Italians at Twickenham.

It's the second round of the Challenge Cup on Saturday as well...

Anyway, as soon as the Imam's finished I'm away back to bed for an hour or so before work

SC

• Like 1

I've just seen your report and its cheered me up so much I'll have another pint.

Nae pies though...it wisnae Wigan efter aw....

Well in a remarkable turn-up for the form books, Salford get a draw at Wakefield - disappointing for our David, but good news for Salford as that lifts Salford off the bottom of the table.

SC.

• Like 1

I've got Catalans Widnes on a French feed (No, like as in French language from France, not as in Ray French), but I'm afraid I'll be concentrating on the Cardiff game this evening.

SC

EDIT: And I've got Radio Merseyside on the wireless now, but it's not French there... and I can tell you that before Wales kick their first penalty, Patrick Arvan has put the Widnes Vikings ahead with a first try at the Stade Gilbert Brutus in Catalonia

Crivens - and Dave Allen has scored the second for Widnes, and the Widnes forwards are on top - the Catalans are very standoffish And Patrick Arvan makes it 10 - 0, and the way it stands at the moment, this will take Widnes up to the threshold of the top half of the table...

And a hanging Leon Pryce kick is dropped by Rees Hanbury, and Thomas Bosch has nothing else to do than dot the ball down to narrow the gap to four points.

And Grandpa Menzies has scored in the corner, right place at the right time, and it's 12 - 10 to the dragons, while the ....

... sorry lads, had to pop up to Cardiff for a moment.

"oh la la, monsieur le referee; c'etait forward, n'est-ce pas?" but James Child doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, and Patrick Arvan gets his second to put Widnes back in front 12 - 14.

... while in the Principality young Owen Farrell, obviously put off now he's been rumbled and the uncanny likeness to the elusive Lord Lucan pointed out in another thread, misses a penalty.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

and they're off at the Sir Robert McAlpine stadium, or whatever its called now, still Huddersfield 0 - 0 Hull FC, but I'm going to stay in the South of France imagining my cans of Carlsberg are rich red wine drunk out of a plastic bottle. At least there's not much chance of sunstroke today, it being 1.30 in the morning..

And Widnes withstand a mountain of pressure and anderson knocks on as we approach half-time

Widnes still with possession, last tackle, kick into touch and Widnes get the head and feed after a lucky deflection, and again Widnes win a scrum off another deflection into touch... the commentators can't see the clock, but they've gone off for oranges in Cardiff...

Widnes a metre out and they knock on - an opportunity gone...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Meanwhile, in the Pennines, it's still 0 - 0 at the John Smith stadium, but as we join the Eurosport coverage during the oranges, Phil Bentham has asked Richard Silverwood to comment on a possible touch-down by the giants; no, its a fifth tackle from the ten metre line, and they turn over possession. Smokie will be hanging on - still 0 - 0

And after a remarkable turnover, Sean Lunt from dummy half skips delicately through the tulips to score the first try of the game for Huddersfield and its HUD 6 - 0 HFC after 20 minutes....

And we're back in Le Midi, but it's a bit parkey up here in the stand, and I'm grateful that I'm imagining this Carlsberg is vin du pays - or perhaps pink diesel, to warm the cockles of my heart... and Catalans are back in front, while HFC have pulled one back at the John Smith.

And three penalties in five minutes see Catalans up to the Widnes try line, and on the fifth tackle THomas Bosch kicks against the padding of the posts and Catalans score again 24 - 14

Helpmaboab! A third try in ten minutes as Steve menzies touches his own kick back to Damien Blanche and Blanche armwrestles his way over. 30 - 14 and Catalans are completely on top - while the Welsh dragon is on top against St George 12 - 3, though the English are scarcely being crucified. Or roasted.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And James Child asks M. Thierry Alibert of Toulouse to adjudicate, and he adjudicates in favour of his neighbours from Perpignan, and the conversion makes it 36 - 14, and I might start imagining that my Carlsberg is creamy John Smith's Yorkshire bitter, brewed in traditional squares.

And it looks like it's all over in Cardiff as well, Wales go over for a second try and they're leading 27 - 3. This will give Wales the championship... as it goes.

And surprisingly, there's a penalty at the scrum in Perpignan for a foot up early strike - as if the ball was not going to go in behind the second row!

SC

My wine is real though...Hunter Valley Shiraz...I think this one is winnable....but the other code is calling ,me.....

With Shaun Edwards and Andy Farrell on the coaching staff, and Owen Farrell and Chris Ashton playing, I think your OK on this thread...

Yeah...we are winning and oddly enough I am starting to take an interest late though it is this season....

That's the final hooter, and maybe the Widnes players overdid the vin rouge with their oranges at half time. too many penalties and some confident Catalan attacking saw it finish 46 - 14, while Hudds have scored a second converted try to take back the lead.

It looks like I'll have no TV coverage for the France Scotland game so I'll need to see what I can find on the internet. Meanwhile, I'm off to see what I can find in the fridge

So now I'm focussed on the John Smith stadium.. HFC win a penalty on the HUD goal line and ? kick it BACK to the 20 m line! Last tackle and they're still at about 18 metres. And Huddersfield build from their own quarter. Brough, who used to be Scottish, kicks across field, but Tom Briscoe takes it easily and they're almost up to the half way line...