Live Rugby League

Former Scotsman Danny Brough had a great game for Huddersfield Giants as they ripped up the form book at Langtree Park

St Helens 4 - 40 Huddersfield.

It's a far cry from 1978, when Huddersfield last won in St Helens, by a single point

I'm going to miss the Warrington Castleford game tonight, as i have a long early drive before work tomorrow... probably won't even have time to check the scores in the morning

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Any thoughts on live commentary on the Super Bowl on now ... just started.

Would have to better then the current TV (not Thia Visa) commentary ... biggrin.png

Not a convenient time. I'll give them a call about next year's event. I've recorded it, though. I put on the TV to check if I had the France Italy game (Bonobo's going to be raging about all this OT stuff...) but I can't tell, because I'm now stuck watching the repeat of the Leeds Hull FC game - my apologies to Smokie...)

SC

EDIT: Confirmed I have the supperbowl but not the France - Italy game

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC ... if you get bored in the off season ... you could always turn your hand to cricket commentary.

49.5 Steyn to Wade, no run, another short ball from Steyn, Wade ducks under it

49.4 Steyn to Wade, no run, the bumper from Steyn, Wade gets across and ducks under it

49.3 Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade pushes it towards the off-side

49.2 Steyn to Wade, no run, tad fuller and on off, Wade gets forward and defends it towards cover

Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade gets across and defends it towards square leg

From here

I think cricket lends itself better to text commentary...

Am looking forwards to the NRL season. Hope I get to see some games this year.

You have the WCC at Headingley to look forward to, first, a few weeks after the start of the Superleague season. I think that the only time I watched that was in the York, in Dubai. Will you be going up to Leeds?

SC

No but I will probably put off going back this year so I can stay for the World Cup in November.

Will you go up to Cardiff in time for the Wales - Italy game?

SC

I'm sure you'll all be glued to your satellite dishes (not literally, unless you have a bit of trouble with superglue during your DIY erection - no! like as in putting up your own dish) for the Wigan Warrington game on Friday night / Saturday morning. If I'm not here, can you send me a PM to wake me up? as I'm meeting colleagues for a beer earlier in the evening...

SC

I'm sure you'll all be glued to your satellite dishes (not literally, unless you have a bit of trouble with superglue during your DIY erection - no! like as in putting up your own dish) for the Wigan Warrington game on Friday night / Saturday morning. If I'm not here, can you send me a PM to wake me up? as I'm meeting colleagues for a beer earlier in the evening...

SC

I will SC....but I am worried the pub here will be closed from 230pm until 5pm. Life in the provinces old chap...."I need to sort the cellar."

At least the beer is tops!

SC

I will SC....but I am worried the pub here will be closed from 230pm until 5pm. Life in the provinces old chap...."I need to sort the cellar."

At least the beer is tops!

"Where are you, Smokie?"

in the stylee of Scoobie Doo...

By way of an off-topic digression while Bonobo is still safely tucked up in bed, it's the USA Sevens from Las Vegas overnight tonight and tomorrow, and then ...the fixture that traditionally determined who got the spoon for their porridge, though it seems like Wales might be having a grab for it as well... Italy at Murrayfield. I've excused myself from a trip to the airport so that I can watch it.

SC

And you join us at the DW Stadium with Ray French and Allan Rooney for Wigan v Warrington;the game is supposed to be on Eurosport, but they're still showing running and jumping/

No score yet,Ray French has specifically mentioned us, by the way "listeners worldwide on line" - that's us, that is. It's Phil Bentham in the pink, by the way.

Warrington knock on, and they're subsequently penalised for holding down.

Now Warrington are back on side, and they're moving in very quickly to make the tackle.

There's a goof noise in the stadium, as you'd expect for this game.

Monaghan fields a chip over the top, and its Warrington with the ball, trying to drive up the field; Briers pumps the ball downfield to Matty Smith.

"Referee Phil Bentham off to a good start; he's imposed himself..."

A superb ball out wide but Reilly knocks on, great rugby from Warrington starting with a typical Lee Briers pass, but Wigan are judged to have knocked the ball on...

A beautiful pass from Lee Briers, the ball was moved to the blindside - a sensational pass - and Joel Monaghan had to step inside just inside the corner flag, and Warrington have got the start they wanted "They certainly have, Allan"

"A very well-worked try, starting down on the left, Wigan must've knocked the ball on, and Warrington swung back to score just inside the corner flag"

and Brett Hodgeson has swung the ball in between the posts from the touchline. Warrington 6 - 0 Wigan

The stadium's a bit quieter now...

EDIT: I can't believe Eurosport are still showing running and jumping...

Now it's Wigan's turn to bring the ball over the half way line; Bennie Westwood gives away a penalty for lying on, and Warrington are desperately trying to slow Wigan down "They do play the ball very quickly, this Wigan side"

Mcclorum is stopped 12 m out in front of the posts and Wigan win another penalty, Ian Thornley drives but Bennie Westwood stops him, Warrington back-pedalling under pressure, little chip through, and Bennie Westwood couldn't gather it in, he pushed it away over the dead ball line...

and Wigan are back up to the Warrington 20 m line...

Warrington keep the door shut, 10 m away, but out on the right hand side a smart tip top finger-tip pass sees Josh Charnley go over, he won't score too many easier tries than that. But the conversion is waved away, and Warrington still hold a two-point advantage, eighteen minutes into the game.

And Eurosport now have the game on, so I think we'll switch to the video feed; it's running a few minutes behind, and they're just showing the missed conversion.

Hull FC v Bradford Bulls cancelled due to a very bad accident on the M62, by the way.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Wigan playing in traditional Cherry and White hoops, by the way, and Warrington in Primrose and Blue vertical stripes. Good, striking strips.

Matty Smith changes his shirt due to blood, he's got no number on his back "It doesn't matter - Tony Smith knows who the danger man is"; he's got a big wide headband on, though.

A kick through, bounces off the Warrington player, who is tackled before he picks the ball up, and Warrington are relieved to kick the ball up field after sustained pressure.

Lee Briers now up to the Wigan try line, and Lee Briers kcik goes dead. Warrington penalised fr markers not standing square, and Wigan are playing too quickly for Warrington, more pressure as Wigan turn the screw...

O'Loughlin unloads in the tackle, a pass to Ben Flower dodges past one defender and through two more to get a second try for Wigan. Pat Richards makes the much easier conversion to take a 10 - 6 lead.

And a towering Lee Briers kick bounces off Josh Charnley - should've been a penalty to Wigan for tackled early and off the ground, but Warrington get six more tackles, and the ball spins acros to the opposite side of the field for Warrington to score their second and equalise. Brett Hodgson can't squeeze this one in. Two minutes to half time. Gareth Carvell knocks on at the play the ball and Wigan scrum ten metres out. Penalty for a high tackle and will Wigan go for the two points?

Wigan 12 - 10 Warrington.

SC

Warrington win back to back penalties that bring them up to ten metres from the Wigan line at the start of the second half...and Richie Myler slices through the Wigan defence like a blow torch trough a silk veil for Warrington's third try in the middle of the field

Apologies, Dave... good noise...

Warrington are penalised for pushing the player into touch after the tackle, and Liam Farrell goes over for a Wigan try - referred to the video referee (Steve Ganson, if anyone was speculating) for obstruction, but its awarded - and Pat Richards misses the conversion - 16 all.

• Like 1

And the game is bubbling over as Warrington pressure the Wigan line. A penalty on the right wing for malarkyy in the tackle, now for a spear tackle in the middle of the pitch.

And Grix is pulled up a foot short.

But Warrington can't get over, and knock on; the opportunity's lost

Sixty minutes gone, and still 16 all.

Wigan get to their fifth tackle and they're still deep in their own half, but the Wigan defence stop Warrington making any ground, and a desperate late off-load sees them knock on and give away an attacking position in the centre circle (centre circle? that's a new marking on a rugby pitch...)

Ambitious passing by Warrington sees them break up to the Wigan 20, and throw the ball across t the other wing, but Sam Tomkins pushes the man into touch and Wigan attack, still in their own half, and Hodgson fields the kick easily

Edited by StreetCowboy

Wigan get to their fifth tackle and they're still deep in their own half, but the Wigan defence stop Warrington making any ground, and a desperate late off-load sees them knock on and give away an attacking position in the centre circle (centre circle? that's a new marking on a rugby pitch...)

Ambitious passing by Warrington sees them break up to the Wigan 20, and throw the ball across t the other wing, but Sam Tomkins pushes the man into touch and Wigan attack, still in their own half, and Hodgson fields the kick easily

Ten minutes to go, still 16 all... and Brett Hodgson makes his first mistake of the match and fingers a long kick into touch to give Wigan an attacking scrum

and Mattie Smith takes a drop goal to give Wigan a one point lead...

"and if we can get a shot of Shaun Wayne's face, he'll be grinning"

Not according to the cameraman, he's not. A long eight minutes to go...

Sam Tomkins is limping, and Warrington win a penalty for being taken out as the kick comes down...

Five mintes to go and Adrian Morle loses the ball.

And there's the Imam chanting away as well. Not sure what team he's supporting...

Warrington trying to et nto position for a drop goal to tie the game...

Ratchford makes the ground, and this is within Briers' range, he kicks he hits the post but it goes through - 17 - 17...

and in 1999 Lee Briers kicked a drop goal to tie the scores at 17, and here we are again!

and two minute to go, Lee Briers goes for another one pointer, but it goes dead.

wwoooaawwww says the Imam tremulously..

and that's the way it ends as both sides attempt desperate last-gasp moves but the hooter goes and the whistle blows - 17 all "a fair result, neither team deserves to lose"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

In a packed weekend of rugby, we take the time to take up that empty seat from 2003, and we're at the Suncorp Stadium for the NRL All-Stars game; NRL All-Stars versus Indigenous All-Stars, on a hot and steamy Brisbane night.

Johnathon Thirston leading the indigenous side In think, and they have the first attacking chance but the kick goes too deep

and the NRL All Stars go over at the other end, but the try is disallowed for obstruction; they seem to be having no trouble making progress up the park; seems a bit Haarlem Globtrotters, with lots of wild passing and interceptions

But its more like Subuteo as the Indigenous toe-poke the ball forward and dribble over the line before touching down to score the first try and Johnathon Thirston coverts Ben Barba's try to take a six point lead

And a wild Indigenous offload is picked up by the NRL Full-back, who runs most of the length of the field to score and the scores are tied, but in the 21st minute the Indigenous Allstars take the lead with a well-worked passing move that sees the ball out to the left wing and back and Thirston curves the ball between the uprights as they break for the first quarter (First quarter? They must be using borrowed clocks... it'll be centre circles next....)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

My apologies for the lapse in commentary - an urgent domestic task cropped up

Indigenous now leading the NRL by 22 - 6 as we approach fifty minutes

How did you get that picture so quickly, by the way? Does your TV have a printer on it?

Apparently I can get internet TV with Astro, but it's beyond my capabilities; I should learn, though, in case I'm ever back in BKK when there's an important game on, but the family connection's a bit turgid

Indigenous pressing again, kick through from fifteen metres out, but it's safely carried over the deadball line for a goal line dropout

And all the pressure is from the Indigenous at the moment but an interception sees the NRL break to their opponent's 40 metre line where they win a penalty for mischief in the tackle and the pressure is reversed

and the Indigenous off-side blockers are penalised, but still NRL can't find a chink through - they're all away for New Year! A speculative grubber then a dive off a blocker, presumably in the vain hope of a penalty, comes to nought and the Indigenous Allstars work out from their 20 m line

and the hooter goes for the third quarter; what next? hard hats and forward passes?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And while I've been otherwise distracted, the Indigenous Allstars have scored twice. Six minutes to go...

The 'play-the-ball' is better in this game than in Superleague, when the ball gets rucked back without a stud touching it at most restarts, bytheway.

Three minutes to go...

And another try to set a record for the number of tries in an All-Stars game, apparently.

And the game finishes Indigenous 32 - 6 NRL

Barba the first man to score three tries in an All-Stars game, and Robinson the second

Edited by StreetCowboy

And this weekend we have the Catalan Dragons to look forward to, at the Haliwell Jones, 3 am Thai time Saturday.

On the other side of the 1895 schism our antipodean brethren will be anticipating the start of their own brand of superrugby, as the Super XVs start

SC

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls; I hope that you are sitting comfortably as we settle down at the Halliwell Jones for the Warrington - Catalans game.

Catalans have won three of their seven superleague games at this ground, and they also beat Wigan here in the 2007 Challenge Cup semifinals...

and Ryan Atkins butchers a chance on the left wing...

and it's a fiesty old game, this. Benny Westwood offers to land a great lamping ham of a fist on his tackled player, and there's a bit of shoving and barging. Warrington are without Lee Briers this weekend.

And Warrington get a dubious penalty for the defenders not being ten metres back - maybe Richard Silverwood's metres are bigger than ours, and they go on to score. Bret Hodgeson's conversion goes in off the post to make it 6 - 0.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Richard Silverwood gets it seriously wrong as he awards a scrum to Warrington despite their player being bundled into touch, and from that scrum, Warrington score a well-worked try. Sacre Bleue!

10 - 0 Warrington.

Et voila un autre! Warrington break, Richie Myler looks like Neil armstrong as he finds himself in space and goes over under the posts...

and Richard Silverwood is lecturing Steve Menzies and his captain on the perils of talking to the touch judges

and Warrington break again, pulled down fifteen metres short, the Warrington player is pushed down as he regains his feet and Richard Silverwood pulls a card from his pocket "Nothing to do with me, sir!" cries Steve Menzies, "Not you - him!" shouts Richard Silverwood, and Brent Webb goes off for ten minutes in the naughty chair.

But a knock-on sees Dragons attack, and Damien Blanche touches down for his first try of the year and the stadium is silenced... Thomas Bosc squeezes it over from the touch line to make it 16 - 6

Edited by StreetCowboy

Will this be a full match commentary ... or just a half time commentary.

Do you need some more money the meter?

Just read in your (excellent) commentary that Steve Menzies is still running around.

Does he get wheeled on to the Park now-a-days ... man, that dude is old!

'Et voila un autre!' ... help (I Googled it first)

Edited by David48