Brits Face Higher Passport Renewal Price

alant

well there is a surprise, as demand due to the economic status is down, the british government has decided to slap £5.50, about 7% on the price of a standard passport making it £77.50, for that you get maybe 28 usable pages (i think) for the 10 years it is valid which for me means if they use 1 each for a thai visa and a multi entry then that = 20 so a grand total of 8 pages for other visas i may need and entry and exit stamps. :)

what do others get charged, are we being charged a lot, the average or a low price for our passports?

as a swiss national i get charged something along the lines of over 200 dollars for my passport. since it's at the immigration right now i cant tell you the exact number of pages but it's somewhere along there...

bloody hel_l :) $US?

The £5.50 increase reflects a new Manners and Ettiquette Class that accompanies each new passport and renewal.

oh thats it, fair enough, good value then what. about time the rif raf had some manners, bargain

US Passport:

$85 for a minor under the age of 16, $75 for an adult renewal, or $100 for an adult first-time issuance or replacement for a lost, stolen, or mutilated passport.

Additional pages can be added at no cost.

Canada good for 5 years;

The fee for an adult passport is CAN$87. Of this amount, CAN$25 is used to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Foreign Affairs in providing consular services to Canadians abroad.

As for the remaining CAN$62, the breakdown is as follows:

47% towards security fees (e.g.: examination, guarantor checks)

43% towards production fees (e.g.: material, printing)

6% towards administration

BTW there is GST (VAT) applicable. Nailed 2 ways :)

USA is $100 in person and by mail, $75 Standard is 24 pages but you can get 48 and 96 page options.

I don't know if it's still a 10 year validity, (my old g/f had one issued in 2005 for 10 years) but the passports issued outside of the USA switched to 1 year only.

Edited by geriatrickid

Just a thought (stems from the hotel card topic in the travel forum), why can't they issue an e-passport in the form of a card that one could swipe at immigration and proceed.

All the neccessary visas etc etc could be handled electronically and no need to print the things, no need for stamps, no need for frowns at the counter and surely could be handled alot more efficiently.

Much like say the BTS card that you can top up, if you want a visa to China you just go to the embassy as usual, pay up, get your e-passport topped-up and when you arrive, one swipe and you are through.

No doubt the naysayers (those who would lose out) and traditionalists would point to security issues to make it seems non-feasible, but surely (don't call me shirley) it's time for the Passport world to come out of the 18th century into the 21st.

Yes, many a thousand bureacrats would need retraining but...

as a swiss national i get charged something along the lines of over 200 dollars for my passport. since it's at the immigration right now i cant tell you the exact number of pages but it's somewhere along there...

Hmm, afaik I paid 4000 Baht for my new Swiss Passport last year. Thats more or less 120 USD or you got a very bad exchange rate for your USD :)

Passport has 40 or 44 pages.

I don't know if it's still a 10 year validity, (my old g/f had one issued in 2005 for 10 years) but the passports issued outside of the USA switched to 1 year only.

:D Oh dear. Seems they (Naha, Japan) issued me a 10-year jobbie by mistake. :) Perhaps I should notify them of their error.

Edited by Texpat

We get charged a different rate depending on why we are applying for a new passport. If we lose or damage our passport then the embassy charges 4500 Baht for a new one. If our current one is full or about to expire, then it is only 800 Baht if my memory serves me correctly.

Brits will be lucky to get their passports renewed.

I tried to renew my second passport whilst I am in the UK.

A letter from my company to justify a second passport was requested and provided.

The renewal was rejected because my company stated that I live overseas............. :)

The passport was returned, but NOT the fee. :D

I have written complaining and raised the matter with my MP.

We get charged a different rate depending on why we are applying for a new passport. If we lose or damage our passport then the embassy charges 4500 Baht for a new one. If our current one is full or about to expire, then it is only 800 Baht if my memory serves me correctly.

Are you Thai? That's super cheap

A letter from my company to justify a second passport was requested and provided.

The renewal was rejected because my company stated that I live overseas............. :)

can you run this one past me again, i dont fully understand it but i think i may need to. is there a problem remewing a passport whilst you are here?

Just a thought (stems from the hotel card topic in the travel forum), why can't they issue an e-passport in the form of a card that one could swipe at immigration and proceed.

All the neccessary visas etc etc could be handled electronically and no need to print the things, no need for stamps, no need for frowns at the counter and surely could be handled alot more efficiently.

Big project, but I agree this is a step to the future and more simple. Also you can't run out of pages then. You must apply for a goverment job :)

Big project, but I agree this is a step to the future and more simple. Also you can't run out of pages then. You must apply for a goverment job :)

Thanks but my 'efficient first' attitude disqualifies me for a position as described.

Really? Very strange. UK citizens are not allowed to live overseas????

I've renewed 2 UK passports in Bangkok with no problem.

Got to get 3 new passports this year for kids - it's an expensive business. Maybe just get them a visa on their Thai one.

Reading not your strong suit?

"very limited usage" means cannot be used everywhere. Indeed, can only be used in a small number of border crossings.

Will not become ubiquitous (widespread, widely used) until many other countries adopt the idea. Thailand will likely adopt this technology sometime after the turn of the century.

Edited by Texpat

Reading not your strong suit?

"very limited usage" means cannot be used everywhere. Indeed, can only be used in a small number of border crossings.

Will not become ubiquitous (widespread, widely used) until many other countries adopt the idea. Thailand will likely adopt this technology sometime after the turn of the century.

Let me see there tex, are you asking if I opened your link? The answer would be no.

As for strong suits, perhaps you may wish to consider coming up with a more intelligent flame than that. Many have come before you mate, and being rude won't help you rid yourself of any ugly american stereotypes that may be applicable.

So in conclusion, don't assume that because you post a link that people will use it. Internet lesson 101 concluded for today.

Big project, but I agree this is a step to the future and more simple. Also you can't run out of pages then. You must apply for a goverment job :D

Thanks but my 'efficient first' attitude disqualifies me for a position as described.

Know what you mean :D , cheers. :)

You didn't need to open the link to understand that "very limited usage," would exclude Swampy.

Keep your glib comments to yourself and you won't have one thrown back. :)

limited usage means what then mate? only between certain states in the USA? If you werent so busy trying to impress everyone, you may have put 2+2 together to realise that in Asia we have some of the most modern technically advanced aiports in the world - likely candidates to be able to handle newer technologies.

You didn't need to open the link to understand that "very limited usage," would exclude Swampy.

Keep your glib comments to yourself and you won't have one thrown back. :D

limited usage means what then mate? only between certain states in the USA? If you werent so busy trying to impress everyone, you may have put 2+2 together to realise that in Asia we have some of the most modern technically advanced aiports in the world - likely candidates to be able to handle newer technologies.

Agreed, can't call my airport service nor other features from the airport " great ".

You know what's so funny?

Foreigner goes to Asia: complain about better things at home

Foreigner comes back from Asia: complain about better easy things in Asia.

:)

in Asia we have some of the most modern technically advanced aiports in the world - likely candidates to be able to handle newer technologies.

Then certainly passport cards are widespread and the poster who raised the question is merely uninformed, eh?

Perhaps you might provide an example of other passport cards, as I have.

Does E. Timor have capacity to process passport cards?

Edited by Texpat