Little Known Cool Places.

corkscrew

The Erawan Elephant Museum and Shrine is worth a visit if you live in Bangkok. The centerpiece of the place is a huge 3 headed elephant...about 100 meters tall. Inside is a museum of Thai artwork and handiwork. Hard to reach by public transportation it is best visited on a Sunday or holiday using private wheels.

post-9122-1247041293_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't call the Erawan shrine''Little Known" it's one of the most popular temples in central Bangkok!! But anyway, nice idea for a thread.

What about the Mae Nak shrine in Prakanong district which has the whole Mae Nak ghost story, movie and now musical based on it...

post-11421-1247042596_thumb.jpg

Wat Dhammamongkol impresses with a 95-meter-high chedi in which relics and strands of Buddha's hair are contained. They were given as a gift to this temple from the Supreme Patriarch of Bangladesh. The temple is a bit out of the way, being located on the outskirts of Bangkok on Sukhumvit Road but it is one of my favorite places to visit when in Bangkok. On the temple grounds also stands a pavilion which houses the biggest jade Buddha in the world (listed in the Guinness Book of Records).

Sukhumvit soi 101/1

I wouldn't call the Erawan shrine''Little Known" it's one of the most popular temples in central Bangkok!! But anyway, nice idea for a thread.

What about the Mae Nak shrine in Prakanong district which has the whole Mae Nak ghost story, movie and now musical based on it...

Thats not a temple and NOT the museum, which is in Samut Prakan

Catch 22 this thread is.

If I tell you the really cool / little known places I know, out the window they go...

I beg to differ. If 1.000 people read this thread, only a small percentage will go there, because the rest has not the possibility or the desire to do so. And when that small percentage has seen it, it properly will not go again or not that often...

Catch 22 this thread is.

If I tell you the really cool / little known places I know, out the window they go...

I beg to differ. If 1.000 people read this thread, only a small percentage will go there, because the rest has not the possibility or the desire to do so. And when that small percentage has seen it, it properly will not go again or not that often...

That is sort of true. I seldom visit the same temples more than once or twice, and only do so if I'm taking a visitor. But, there are fishing areas I return to on a regular basis. I always like the hike up Doi Suthep and can do a short walk or a longer one. When you get to know the staff at a favorite restaurant or bar then it's more fun to return to places you enjoy. It takes a while to be accepted as one of the regulars.

Having swum at many different beaches they all start to look the same after a while and it takes something unusual to make them different. I don't like the beach scene along Pattaya and Jomptien, but I love the beaches off Koh Larn. I seldom bother with Koh Samui anymore because I like Koh Larn better and it's much closer to my hotel. An isolated beach resort I find a bit boring after a while. But, I can explore a mountain river in the province of Kanchanaburi for days and never get tired...

First_morning_2.jpg

Bamboo_raft_trip_5.jpg

Bamboo_raft_2.jpg

Ian_with_Mahseer.jpg

Hey Ian where is that place?

I remember climbing a sh!t load of steps out in Krabi to get to a Buddah image.The view was well worth it

in the end.

Near Kanchanaburi on the south east side of the river. Kanchanaburi has a lot going for it, and if I didn't stay in Chiang Mai I'd probably live in Kanchanaburi instead. I believe that is where Kan Win chooses to live. You should check out his photo gallery.

In the first months of a year there are Buddhist celebrations at 1.400m Khao Khitchakut / Chantaburi. A rough pick up trip brings everyone to the top. There are many shrines build on the mountain trail, next to huge boulders or in the mountain forest.

Unbelievable scenics everywhere. High monks, pilgrims, beggars, hordes of average Thais, very sick people...almost no foreigner. One of the best experiences for someone interested in an unique and original Thai Buddhist happening.

Later in the year the area is closed to leave it to tigers and other wildlife.

post-33720-1247053014_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247052859_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247053311_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247053398_thumb.jpg

post-33720-1247053593_thumb.jpg

In the first months of a year there are Buddhist celebrations at 1.400m Khao Khitchakut / Chantaburi. A rough pick up trip brings everyone to the top. There are many shrines build on the mountain trail, next to huge boulders or in the mountain forest.

Unbelievable scenics everywhere. High monks, pilgrims, beggars, hordes of average Thais, very sick people...almost no foreigner. One of the best experiences for someone interested in an unique and original Thai Buddhist happening.

Later in the year the area is closed to leave it to tigers and other wildlife.

post-33720-1247053014_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247052859_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247053311_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247053398_thumb.jpg

post-33720-1247053593_thumb.jpg

Funny!just this morning i was talking to a Thai friend about this place,and plan to go there next March with his family.It seems to be a very ancient site,perhaps prehistoric.I had a chance to see a footage on the telly,it seems to be a great place with amazing landscapes,

i'm told that very few tourists go there so far,the pick-up must be a new thing.

Funny!just this morning i was talking to a Thai friend about this place,and plan to go there next March with his family.It seems to be a very ancient site,perhaps prehistoric.I had a chance to see a footage on the telly,it seems to be a great place with amazing landscapes,

i'm told that very few tourists go there so far,the pick-up must be a new thing.

Many 4x4 pick ups bring people up and down constantly. The path is that steep that locals are splashing water on that the whole time for the tires of the pick ups.

There are no foreign tourists at all, but it's crowded with Thais. A very religious place.

:D Bad things always happen when I tell people about my secret spots in thailand, I remember in 1964 while beachfishing near Bag lamung commenting that a bar and seafood restaurant would do pretty well there :D went back 3months later Pattaya was rising out of the sand, discovered a wonderful mountainous island paradise, miles of palm bordered golden beaches, swordfish, sailfish, mantarays and dolphins were there in abundance only 1 real road, no bars or touts and not a tuk tuk in sight , got back to camp told a few mates, Patong was Born :D but why keep it secret have discovered a lovely Resort called Wigan Pier, Turn left of the east lancs road :D:)

Thats not a temple and NOT the museum, which is in Samut Prakan

Sorry, my mistake.

Hey Ian where is that place?

I remember climbing a sh!t load of steps out in Krabi to get to a Buddah image.The view was well worth it

in the end.

You might mean Wat Tham Seua, which has got awsome views...

:D Bad things always happen when I tell people about my secret spots in thailand, I remember in 1964 while beachfishing near Bag lamung commenting that a bar and seafood restaurant would do pretty well there :D went back 3months later Pattaya was rising out of the sand, discovered a wonderful mountainous island paradise, miles of palm bordered golden beaches, swordfish, sailfish, mantarays and dolphins were there in abundance only 1 real road, no bars or touts and not a tuk tuk in sight , got back to camp told a few mates, Patong was Born :D but why keep it secret have discovered a lovely Resort called Wigan Pier, Turn left of the east lancs road :D:)

The good old days.Friday nights.

The good old days.Friday nights.

a drive along pattaya beach .2nd piccie is patong

post-11182-1247138281_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1247138333.jpg

Walk out of the Dusit Gym, Pattaya, via the large elevated pool, hit the sand, turn right and there

is the best little bar & restaurant, on the sand, in the world. I live a block from there.

Never busy, always plenty ice cold beer. There is another one - south, the last one under the trees,

with a small natural spring - with world-class Thai dishes.

Bubba

Just south of Chiang Rai, off Highway 1, there is one of the most amazing site to be seen in Thailand. It's called "Wat Rong Khun (วัดร่องขุ่น)" . It has become to be known simply as the "White Temple".

The temple has been constructed entirely in a radiant white color with sparking reflections from mirrored glass mosaics embedded in the white plaster.

post-25437-1247142706_thumb.jpg

post-25437-1247142680_thumb.jpg

My sister-in-law talked the whole family into going there a few years ago. She said a bus takes you up and then you walk up about 200 stairs so we all went, including the sick mil, a two year old and a six year old. Imagine how pissed I was by the time we sat through a 20 minute kidney bruising ride in the back of a truck struggling to hold on and then several kilometer of stairs to the wat.

It was a nice place but I didn't enjoy it because I was so angry and exhausted after carrying the kids. My SIL asked me if I wanted to go again last year, I think my exact quote was "<deleted> You!". I may be remembering the trip as farther than it was and if I am please correct me as I may go back if that is so, but I think my memory is fairly accurate.

The pickups are not new. There are two legs to the journey. The first leg is in a pickup up a VERY steep and winding dirt road where you are slammed around while the driver attempts to keep up enough momentum that he doesn't get stuck. The second leg, which is probably what made the film you saw, is a long walk up a scenic trail/stairway. When I was there I was the only farang but there was a steady stream of Thais on the trail, very crowded. Do not take this trip if you are not physically fit.

My sister-in-law talked the whole family into going there a few years ago. She said a bus takes you up and then you walk up about 200 stairs so we all went, including the sick mil, a two year old and a six year old. Imagine how pissed I was by the time we sat through a 20 minute kidney bruising ride in the back of a truck struggling to hold on and then several kilometer of stairs to the wat.

It was a nice place but I didn't enjoy it because I was so angry and exhausted after carrying the kids. My SIL asked me if I wanted to go again last year, I think my exact quote was "<deleted> You!". I may be remembering the trip as farther than it was and if I am please correct me as I may go back if that is so, but I think my memory is fairly accurate.

That story sooooo reminds me of a couple trips I had with the extended family of Kanchanaburi girl friend of mine. I was so pissed off by the end of the long day I vowed never to return to their village. Information gets lost in Thai translation. Now I only take trips I organize myself and pay for myself.

To put the story in a nutshell we left the lovely Erawan waterfalls, where the children and I were having a great time, to sit in the back of a pickup truck and drive 4 hours to a temple I've seen before and stay for 20 minutes before driving another 4 hours back to my hotel. It ruined a perfectly good day.

The pickups are not new. There are two legs to the journey. The first leg is in a pickup up a VERY steep and winding dirt road where you are slammed around while the driver attempts to keep up enough momentum that he doesn't get stuck. The second leg, which is probably what made the film you saw, is a long walk up a scenic trail/stairway. When I was there I was the only farang but there was a steady stream of Thais on the trail, very crowded. Do not take this trip if you are not physically fit.

post-33720-1247276879_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247276902_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1247276938_thumb.jpg