Not Necessary To Close The Borders, Yet

george

PM: Not necessary to seal country

BANGKOK: -- It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of H1N1 flu, as recomnmended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday.

However, the matter will be raised on Thursday when the cabinet meeting will consider further action such as closures of tuition schools and internet shops from which the flu was said to have spread.

The Public Health Ministry on Wednesday reported 290 addition cases of H1N1 flu, bringing up the total to 2,718 with 11 deaths.

Mr Abhisit said the government will try to keep close watch on those infected to prevent more deaths.

A committee had been set up especially to take care of four flu patients who were seriously sick, he added.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-08

If ever there was a reason for the government only allowing the main government to make a comment this is it. A bunch of pooyai doctors get given a microphone, and look what happens.

Seal the country! Are these guys on crack?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I am back in the States right now and there is NO MENTION of the Swine Flu. Seems that Americans got bored with it, and now have moved on to the new thing...

The sudden and tragic death of a dancing pedophile.

Thailand only cares about the way they look, not if it is right or wrong. They need to give the appearance that they are doing something, regardless if it has results.

It is truly shocking to be outside of LOS.

todd

H1N1 seem to be a very nasty old virus, HAD to make a visit to hospital yesterday, many hospital staffer are wearing the mask. :D:D:D:D

They can wear all the masks they want. It will not protect them from long term exposure. The ones who should be wearing the masks are the ones with the Virus and then practice sterile maintenance. :)

Seal what???

Certainly some holes should be sealed :D ! But closing the country's border is just an absolutely ridiculous idea in this economic climate.

This is called PANIC Thai Style, by a bunch of under-educated Physicians. This will be :) as effective as sealing the Borders during Songkran Festival and expect no deaths.

H1N1 seem to be a very nasty old virus, HAD to make a visit to hospital yesterday, many hospital staffer are wearing the mask. :D:D:D:)

The WHO and the media have so over-hyped this H1N1 flu, it is beyond ridiculous

Less people have died from H1N1 than the regular flu.

In the US alone, 36,000 people die from regular flu complications every year.

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/tag/annual-...-toll-per-year/

H1N1 to date has been attributed to 80 deaths WORLDWIDE as of May... perhaps around 100 or slightly more today.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/...E54H1XO20090520

What's more, the vaccinations they will be offering are likely more dangerous than the disease, as flu vaccines contain mercury in the preservative called Thimerisol.

You should have a listen to what Dr. Ron Paul (MD) has to say about the "swine flu" scam:

'Closing the barn door after the horses have left' sounds about like it now.

Sorry. We Thais love to shoot ourselves on the foot from time to time. It also comes with the ever changing policies that our government likes to implement when they have nothing else to do. I wonder who thinks up this brilliant ideas. :) They seem to be using the "coin toss" method to make decisions like this. On the brighter side, at least the lowly satang still has it's uses.

At one time visas were not renewed unless you could provide a chit signed by a doctor stating that you were not suffering grom elephantaisis amongst other things. If I had contracted that malady I must have caught it here since there isn't a lot of it about in Wimbledon. Rather than being refused a visa renewal I should be taking legal action against one of the Thai Governments. This country defies all logic.

There is in fact a reason to slow down transmission and perhaps close airports, though I agree it's not worth doing on balance and largely too late now.

There will be a vaccine quite soon. The UK will have one by end August for at risk categories (respiritory problems - asthma etc) and front line workers.

Waiting for a vaccine and delaying transmission in the early stages has some relevence to this point.

Meanwhile Tamiflu is the antiviral of choice and there has been limited resistence in Denmark and Japan, so I would recommend Relenza too.

Edited by twix38

They need to figure out a way to kill off MORE people, not less. The world is already over populated and needs disease and war to kill off the weak ones. Humans have been increasing their life expectancy for the past 100 years. At one time your life expectancy was a little over 40 years. Now it's into the eighties.

HEY - for like the 5th time - please pay attention to the original article. THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT WHO IS PROPOSING CLOSING BORDERS.

Sorry, Thanks, Back to the discussion.....

Hmmmmm, sorry but i beg to differ here i'm afraid! :)

If YOU actually read the OP you'll read quite clearly that PM Abhisit only decided against closing or sealing the borders or however you wish to describe it AFTER consulting the Chulanong Hospital Doctors. So he quite obviously was thinking about taking this action and proposing it until the recommendation not to do so from the Doctors.

As it stands, yes, no-one has closed/sealed the borders but the fact that Abhisit clearly had this in mind until being persuaded/recommended otherwise i think is what people are meaning by their comments on this thread whether it's serious comments or completely tongue in cheek....so, back to the discussion.... :D

Let's spell it out one more time: the danger is not from this particular epidemic. The danger is that its spread will give rise to a far deadlier mutation. The H5N1 variety of the 1920s killed tens of thousands. God forbid, if something like this happens again, there will be no medical or social answer.

There is no use blaming the Thai authorities. They are ultimately as powerless as the rest of the world. Isolation is a tried & tested palliative in epidemics. It is not a cure. You can buy Tamiflu before the rush, but it's probably not much use.

If the worst begins, keep away from contact with others, shut yourself up at home, & pray. Oh, for the entrepreneurs amongst us, maybe buy a wheelbarrow. You might make a few baht going round shouting, "Throw out your dead". Let's hope not. Old Git Tom

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/09/nat...al_30106918.php

Death toll on the rise

By The Nation

Published on July 9, 2009

Death toll on the rise

63-year-old woman in coma in Samut Prakan

Thailand's type-A (H1N1) influenza death toll has risen to 11, with 2,714 other cases certified - among them a 63-year-old female patient admitted to Samut Prakan Hospital yesterday with high fever, who went into shock and is now in a coma.

The Bang Sao Thong resident's condition is critical, because she has a history of chronic illness, including heart disease, said hospital director Chalit Thongprayoon.

The province's most severe case, she is hooked up to a respirator while staff await samples sent to the Medical Science Department's lab.

Many private hospitals in Samut Prakan have had flu patients seeking treatment, but determining whether they have the new flu depends on lab confirmation costing from Bt4,000 to Bt5,000 a case, a source reported yesterday.

Many schools have been closed for cleaning after students came down with conventional flu. The Bang Pu Industrial Estate has reported workers with flu and some factories have installed thermal scanners to prevent workers or visitors with high body temperatures from entering workplaces, the source reported.

In Chiang Mai, where 50 type-A (H1N1) flu patients have been reported, a 26-year-old man died of acute pneumonia, and doctors believe he was infected with the virus, said Chiang Mai's chief public-health officer.

Dr Wattana Kanchanakamol said the man died only two hours after being admitted to a private hospital, and tests to confirm the virus are under way.

In Phuket, 37 new flu patients have been reported. Provincial public-health chief Dr Pongsawat Rattanasaeng said three had been in direct contact with freshmen from Prince of Songkhla University who were infected with the new virus last week and were under surveillance.

Deputy university rector Methee Sanpanich announced a two-day closure for the institute from yesterday, to clean the 1,500 student-dormitory rooms.

Department of Medical Services chief Rewat Wisarutvej yesterday visited a male patient, 45, unconscious at Ayutthaya's Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Hospital.

He said the Bangkok man, who weighed 103 kilograms and suffered chronic illness, including heart disease and a deteriorated kidney, had been visiting relatives in the province. He developed a high fever and was unable to breathe on his own. The hospital suspects he may have type-A (H1N1) flu and has submitted his samples for testing.

It might be prudent for the Thai Government to have some "health screening" measures to check for symptoms like China, UK and USA did for the Avian flu.

Hong Kong, China and Taiwan had temperature reading machines at Immigration check points.

Closing the borders would only isolate Thailand from the world... not a good thing with this Global Economy. So PM Abhisit is right not to over react and consider a border closing.

The resistant strains of the virus are more concerning.

Closing the borders would have little or no effect on this since it is based on not using the proper antibiotics to treat it, not using strong enough amounts to completely erradicate it so it survives in the host and mutates into a strongerbug.... evolution dictates if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger...works for bug and viruses too.

With all of the negative political and financial events effecting Thailand over the last ywo years, I am amazed the Thai baht hasn't taken a spiral back to at least 43THB to the US Dollar. Is that on the horizon?

I wonder what's holding it at 33-34THB?

Edited by DMasut

Closing the borders would keep new strains of the virus from coming in, but once they open the borders again people will continue to bring in the regular flu, which takes many more lives. Border closing is not a viable option unless this is a pandemic.

It may keep new strains from coming in from somewhere else but not prevent it from mutating here on its own... After all we have a lot of nasty possible combination for a crossover in South East Asia.

It is here already, sealing the border would only escalate the fear of uneducated people and do nothing to stop the spread in any way. But it is great PR for the people in power...scare the uneducated population, then come to the rescue and be seen as doing something when it is all just a complete show with no substance... TIT.

Is it for fun that ThaiVisa relays such surrealistic news?

It must be, given the reactions given to this topic.

Otherwise, if the prime minister, actually, took from his precious time to comment about such a "strange" university concept, coming out to counter a pandemic, it must be part of a game(?). A frightening one! Information that any manager have to master as a tool ... .

P.s. by the way, my son - 11 y/o - got the swine flu 2 weeks ago (found out in the hospital), we took care as according to the doctors, as a common flu. He recovered in 5 days. School informed by hospital according the regulations but did not close .

Different cultures, indeed, look through different glasses. Settling down anywhere is our freedom.

So... has anyone printed an updated T-shirt about... 2003 bomb, 2004 tsunami, 2005 bird flu... what next...

2008 yellow shirted idiots, 2009 red shirted morons... 2009 swine flu..... what next.....

I think it could be a hit with the tourists

TB

If Thailand would educate the poor starting at community outreach programs and in the schools their health problems would be reduced. There really is no reason to close the borders, as for persons closing the border with Mexico and the US it didn't happen. The border was still open but the border patrol was trained to look for persons with the symptoms. They also had medical personnel standing by to assist the sick. Thailand has alot of problems and even thinking suggesting to close the borders is nothing more than the Thai doctors being lazy. When I was in Thailand I learned that there are huge gaps between the people and alot of nonsense that the regular citzens believe because of the false information spread by the wealthy. It seems that the medical care that you can receive in Thailand is what we in America would call criminal. As for the political unrest it seems more like a child hood arguement than a real political system. Yellow shirts versus red shirts. I remember when I was growing up that when my friends and I would dislike someone we would band together and ultimately shun them or try to turn the other persons friends against them.

If Thailand would educate the poor starting at community outreach programs and in the schools their health problems would be reduced. There really is no reason to close the borders, as for persons closing the border with Mexico and the US it didn't happen. The border was still open but the border patrol was trained to look for persons with the symptoms. They also had medical personnel standing by to assist the sick. Thailand has alot of problems and even thinking suggesting to close the borders is nothing more than the Thai doctors being lazy. When I was in Thailand I learned that there are huge gaps between the people and alot of nonsense that the regular citzens believe because of the false information spread by the wealthy. It seems that the medical care that you can receive in Thailand is what we in America would call criminal. As for the political unrest it seems more like a child hood arguement than a real political system. Yellow shirts versus red shirts. I remember when I was growing up that when my friends and I would dislike someone we would band together and ultimately shun them or try to turn the other persons friends against them.

Are you a politician now? :)

From reports here the most 'at risk' people are the ones who are suffering from other illnesses. Yesterday 4 died in Melbourne (Oz) and 3 of them had other health problems. Eleven have died so far.

So one can conclude that normal healthy people here, or there, can get it and survive with a little help.

Anyone calling for the border, any border, to be closed has rocks in their head!

Are you a politician now? :)

Not a politician, just someone who pays attention to world events and is able to speak his opinion.

GENEVA, Switzerland, June 23 (UPI) -- The World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, says there have been 231 confirmed deaths worldwide attributed to the H1N1 virus.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/06/23/...25401245813265/

Compare to 36,000 deaths yearly from the standard seasonal flu in the US alone.... the figure above of 231 is worldwide.

Someone is trying hard to cause an unnecessary panic over a comparatively weak flu strain.

P.s. by the way, my son - 11 y/o - got the swine flu 2 weeks ago (found out in the hospital), we took care as according to the doctors, as a common flu. He recovered in 5 days. School informed by hospital according the regulations but did not close .

Like I said on the previous page. This flu is nothing to panic about, but the WHO is causing a stir for some reason... gee, what reason could they have? They need money? They want more power? The selling of toxic flu shots?

Please, be careful of the WHO panic-stirring and the media's reckless fear mongering (it sure sells newspapers, though).

I certainly don't buy any of it... and guaranteed, I'll never accept any mercury-laden flu shot.

Please watch the video - a physician's take on the matter.

Edited by ChefHeat

HEY - for like the 5th time - please pay attention to the original article. THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT WHO IS PROPOSING CLOSING BORDERS.

Sorry, Thanks, Back to the discussion.....

Hmmmmm, sorry but i beg to differ here i'm afraid! :)

If YOU actually read the OP you'll read quite clearly that PM Abhisit only decided against closing or sealing the borders or however you wish to describe it AFTER consulting the Chulanong Hospital Doctors. So he quite obviously was thinking about taking this action and proposing it until the recommendation not to do so from the Doctors.

As it stands, yes, no-one has closed/sealed the borders but the fact that Abhisit clearly had this in mind until being persuaded/recommended otherwise i think is what people are meaning by their comments on this thread whether it's serious comments or completely tongue in cheek....so, back to the discussion.... :D

Which op are you reading? Certainly not the same one Netfan and i are reading. It quite clearly states that the doctors recommended the border closures not the pm. It is the pm that has gone against the doctors in not closing the borders.

Edited by cyborg22

what would seem a better idea to me is to close all buildings with air conditioning and open all windows.

It's spread through the air isnt it?

Would appear to me that sitting in an enclosed environment with the air con on is silly.

what would seem a better idea to me is to close all buildings with air conditioning and open all windows.

Would appear to me that sitting in an enclosed environment with the air con on is silly.

So really what you are saying by closing down all buildings with aircon. You want to shutdown Thailand?

Good grief. Let's just make Air con illegal.

While we're at it, the authorities should make mercury-laden flu shots mandatory, or go to jail.

Martial law. suspension of all rights, because.... hel_l, its the "swine" flu and 200+ people have died worldwide.

Of those, we don't even know if they had pre-existing conditions.

This is exactly the kind if hysterical panic the WHO and media are trying to generate.

See my previous post (4 posts above) and watch the video.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jonathan Mann who was the first director of WHO’s Global Program on AIDS from 1986 to 1990.

He advocated against discrimination and was a key figure in highlighting the need for a global response to the crisis.

He told me that closing the gates of the towns in the Middle ages did not prevent the pest to enter the cities and that one needed to embrace a pandemie to better fight it. He told me also that it was safer to have an HIV sero positive in your home than in the streets, arguing one would learn a lot more how to live safely with such a person in your house.

Subsequently I sheltered an HIV infected person in my home for 18 months< I guess I learned more about AIDS than most people around.

Unfortunately Jonathan Mann and his wife (also AIDS researcher) died in the 1998 crash of Swissair flight 111.

Closing the boarders?

Brilliant id :)

Lots of people in the U.S. said to close the border with Mexico when the first bout of swine flu broke out. Why should we badmouth Thailand because some doctors advocate a similar policy.

Closing borders makes NO SENSE once the virus is widespread in a country. I do fault the Thai doctors for this absurd idea. Also, I don't recall any elite US doctors or the CDC ever suggesting the US border be closed. Yes, there are always Mexican-phobic redneck types eager to demonize foreigners. I am talking about educated scientific elites. Yes there are stupid xenophobes in all cultures but one hopes that a country's elites are not like that. Sadly, some countries are like that. Frankly, I am more worried about the political fallout from this than the flu itself.

may be they want to close the borders so they can clean up on overstay money

I am in Australia at the moment where about 30 people have died , but in all cases everyone had a underlying condition of some sort .

That is whats killing people at the moment(the underlying conditions they have)

Not h1n1 itself.

But when it finally mutates and it will mutate, It could be more deadly than anything you have experienced before.