Not Necessary To Close The Borders, Yet

george

GENEVA, Switzerland, June 23 (UPI) -- The World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, says there have been 231 confirmed deaths worldwide attributed to the H1N1 virus.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/06/23/...25401245813265/

Compare to 36,000 deaths yearly from the standard seasonal flu in the US alone.... the figure above of 231 is worldwide.

Someone is trying hard to cause an unnecessary panic over a comparatively weak flu strain.

P.s. by the way, my son - 11 y/o - got the swine flu 2 weeks ago (found out in the hospital), we took care as according to the doctors, as a common flu. He recovered in 5 days. School informed by hospital according the regulations but did not close .

Like I said on the previous page. This flu is nothing to panic about, but the WHO is causing a stir for some reason... gee, what reason could they have? They need money? They want more power? The selling of toxic flu shots?

Please, be careful of the WHO panic-stirring and the media's reckless fear mongering (it sure sells newspapers, though).

I certainly don't buy any of it... and guaranteed, I'll never accept any mercury-laden flu shot.

Please watch the video - a physician's take on the matter.

A good video response from a US perspective. And the doctor / congressman seems pretty straight.

Personally I think this whole border closure thing is political maneuvering designed to show the democrats as being pro active and decisive and to deflect attention away from the defeats of Bumjaithai in Issan. Will they ever close the borders - No!

But if they did - how would that effect trade, rice exports etc. My guess is it would trash the Thai brand abroad as closing the border maybe interpreted and 'spun' by the foreign media as a quarantined country due to swine flu. Would you want to buy anything from a country under quarantine. Even if it's self imposed.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's type-A (H1N1) influenza death toll has risen to 11, with 2,714 other cases certified

Strange, just checking Belgium figures: Tot nu toe zijn er in België 69 gevallen van de Mexicaanse griep.(belga/jv), that's zero deaths and 69 cases of AH1NH out a 10 million population, that does not add up to the Thai situation(muliply by 7). What do they do in Belgium that Thailand can't?

They also call the disease Mexican Flu, not a brilliant idea to call it Swine Flu.

Had a (Thai) neigbor asking me "You don't eat moo I hope?"

From reports here the most 'at risk' people are the ones who are suffering from other illnesses. Yesterday 4 died in Melbourne (Oz) and 3 of them had other health problems. Eleven have died so far.

So one can conclude that normal healthy people here, or there, can get it and survive with a little help.

Anyone calling for the border, any border, to be closed has rocks in their head!

Yes!!

As I suspected, pre-existing illnesses in at least some of the cases.

How many people are estimated to die in Oz per year from regular flu??

In the US it is said to be around 36,000.... compared to a little over 200 wordwide for H1N1.

In a recent article on the unfolding economic collapse, Rep. Ron Paul warns that the hysterically hyped H1N1 flu “pandemic” may result in the government requiring mandatory flu vaccinations. “Nearly $8 billion will be spent to address a ‘potential pandemic flu’ which could result in mandatory vaccinations for no discernible reason other than to enrich the pharmaceutical companies that make the vaccine,” writes Paul.

Keep your kids away from mercury-laden flu shots

Kids may be first in line for swine flu shots

Mass vaccination campaign possible in the fall, health official says

WASHINGTON - Schoolchildren may be first in line for swine flu vaccine this fall — and might even be able to get the shot right at school.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is taking that possible scenario to school superintendents around the country, urging them to spend the summer planning what to do if the government decides it needs their buildings for mass vaccinations.

"If you think about vaccinating kids, schools are the logical place," Sebelius told The Associated Press Tuesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31386720/ns/health-swine_flu/

Glad my child is not in the USSA.

I hope the spineless politicians here don't follow suit, or I'll be keeping my son away from any school.

Edited by ChefHeat

Lots of people in the U.S. said to close the border with Mexico when the first bout of swine flu broke out. Why should we badmouth Thailand because some doctors advocate a similar policy.

Closing borders makes NO SENSE once the virus is widespread in a country. I do fault the Thai doctors for this absurd idea. Also, I don't recall any elite US doctors or the CDC ever suggesting the US border be closed. Yes, there are always Mexican-phobic redneck types eager to demonize foreigners. I am talking about educated scientific elites. Yes there are stupid xenophobes in all cultures but one hopes that a country's elites are not like that. Sadly, some countries are like that.

But makes a great headline to suggest that the issue is the dastardly big outside world. People are dying right now at a much quicker rate than in countries with better health systems.

There is virtually nothing they can do, but I would like to know what is the standard recommended treatment in Thailand from the state hospitals for this virus.

Pandemic is broader than epidemic.

I spent 5 hours at Siriraj Hospital last Sunday. It seemed that everybody there had the flu except me. I didn't wear a mask, didn't hide, and didn't get sick. The flu goes around every year. What bothers me is the stupid Bangkok Post. Announcing another swine flu death, when the people they are talking about died of cancer during brain surgery, or kidney failure from years of drinking and partying. The weak die from the flu every year, it isn't because of it being the swine flu. Pandemic doesn't mean epidemic. Pandemic hype to epidemic proportions. paw leaow!

I gotta agree with you there 100%. I've had the swine flu and it wasn't much worse than a really bad cold and it came nowhere close to being as bad as a dose of regular flu (if there is such a thing) that I got about 10 years ago. This is a moderate virus by all accounts and unlikely to be of serious consequence to anyone in a reasonable state of health. The vulnerable die every day from diseases that the rest of us shake off easily, so it's high time the media quit blowing this thing out of proportion and causing unnecessary panic among the masses.

OK OK but have you started to crave brains by chance?

When I was in Thailand I learned that there are huge gaps between the people and alot of nonsense that the regular citzens believe because of the false information spread by the wealthy.

If you're referring to Mr Thaksin's proxy Puea Thai Party gleefully/opportunistically spreading flu-fear, then your observation would be correct.

Their cynical message of fear is being reinforced by Puea Thai's proxy (the reds) who have 'enjoyed' a successful campaign in the North/NE, fanning the flames of flu-fear, intimidatingly surrounding hospitals which the Health Minister visited and scaring the khrap out of patients and staff.

Not a wonder the Govt is forced to react to the fear-mongers message, including turning down a ridiculous request by some Chula doctors to close borders (one can only surmise Puea Thai/reds would have had the borders closed already if in charge?)

Recall 'Dr' Thaksin's reaction to bird flu which had a 70% fatality rate? Complete denial, followed by weeks of cover-ups, culminating in the usual 'side-show Bob' type farcical PR attempts. Given the records, most common sense folks would likely prefer 'Mark' over square-faced 'Frank' in charge of the flu outbreak. :)

If I'm being lazy and there's another thread dedicated then apols but my wife is pregnant - anyone have any idea of how dangerous this flu is for women in their first / second trimester? I've heard it's serious and would tamiflu or relenza help?

If I'm being lazy and there's another thread dedicated then apols but my wife is pregnant - anyone have any idea of how dangerous this flu is for women in their first / second trimester? I've heard it's serious and would tamiflu or relenza help?

Hi Nick, your wife does fall into a higher risk category but it should also be noted as long as she's otherwise healthy (no chronic lung ailments such as asthma or emphysema etc) there probably isn't much cause for concern (would take precautions though, such as washing hands constantly, don't touch eyes/nose/mouth etc)

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...d=moreheadlines

OBESITY/PREGNANCY:

Researchers say the link between obesity and more severe swine flu may be explained by physical pressure on the lungs. Studies have shown that pregnant women are also at higher risk for serious influenza infection, especially in the third trimester, when the fetus and womb compress the lower parts of the lungs. This makes it harder to breathe deeply and cough forcefully; it may also alter blood flow in the chest. A similar thing may be occurring in severely overweight people, some experts speculated.

(the same can be said of regular seasonal flu which may congest lungs - still, not many die from it and even less from swine flu).

More: Pregnancy and swine flu

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/20...-swine-flu.html

Edited by baht&sold

I just came back from the UK. On the news there they were saying that they've given up trying to control it and expect 100,000 people a day to come down with the virus soon. As it stands now, however, it is just like regular flu- no more or less lethal.

Of course opinions may chance once everyone who thought they had recovered turns into a brain-eating zombie.

Or starts to think British MP,s are honest.

Same thing Zombie /Voter.

Or so the politicians think.

Women have weaker immune systems when pregnant so your wife would be among the "at risk" people.

If she's sick, she should see a doctor. If she's not sick now, she should take usual precautions to avoid sickness.

Neither the USA or Mexico closed their borders.

I think that it would have a draconian effect on tourism and those who hold jobs associated with tourism,there would be no "High Season" and dramatically reduce bookings that are being made for 2010

The U.S., like Thailand, likes the cheap labor that illegally crosses the borders. Illegals, unlike legal immigrants, are not required to have physical examinations for diseases. Living in border states with Mexico such as California, Arizona, New Mexico & Texas, is the front line for diseases coming from Mexico. Tuberculosis was almost wiped out in the U.S. and is not spreading as a result of illegals from Mexico, as is the flu virus and even typhus has showed up in Texas counties with a high percentage of illegals from Mexico. Closing the borders from illegals from Third World countries can stop other diseases that spread by human contact. If Thailand continues to allow immigrants from such backward countries as Burma, it will experience the same epidemics that are just now getting a foothold in Texas and other states bordering Mexico.

I think that it would have a draconian effect on tourism and those who hold jobs associated with tourism,there would be no "High Season" and dramatically reduce bookings that are being made for 2010

The U.S., like Thailand, likes the cheap labor that illegally crosses the borders. Illegals, unlike legal immigrants, are not required to have physical examinations for diseases. Living in border states with Mexico such as California, Arizona, New Mexico & Texas, is the front line for diseases coming from Mexico. Tuberculosis was almost wiped out in the U.S. and is not spreading as a result of illegals from Mexico, as is the flu virus and even typhus has showed up in Texas counties with a high percentage of illegals from Mexico. Closing the borders from illegals from Third World countries can stop other diseases that spread by human contact. If Thailand continues to allow immigrants from such backward countries as Burma, it will experience the same epidemics that are just now getting a foothold in Texas and other states bordering Mexico.

I meant to write tuberculosis is now spreading throughout Texas as a result of the millions of illegals from Central & South America and especially Mexico. Living in Texas we see and read about it daily.

Think about this

H1N1 cases reported to WHO Population (CIA world Fact Book) Cases H1N1 per million of population

Canada 7906 cases 33.4 million 236.5 / m

USA 33902 cases 307 million 110 / m

Thailand 2076 cases 65.9 million 31.5 / m

GET ME OUT OF CANADA ASAP, clearly Thailand is safer! (by a factor of more than 7 times actually)

Its not like Thailand is south of the equator going into winter, when H1N1 will likely spread at a faster rate.

Actually I will be heading to the LOS in about 3 weeks.

Tamiflu?

This "cure" is worse than the disease.

Read how many children have died after taking tamaflu.

http://drbenkim.com/blog/2005/11/fda-takin...ok-at-anti.html

Lord knows what this stuff will do to a fetus.

No cure available so far...

my guess is that fact will become the breeding ground for a lot of quacks pretending to offer a "cure".

And that is a fcukin' dangerous situation!

It seems to have happened in TH already - a quack offering a cure for 5000 baht per shot.

Trust to remember this story was running on Thai TV a few weeks ago.

Edited by webfact

another example of the typical Thai way of thinking. Just like prohibiting the sale of alcohol before 11:30 and between 14:00 and 17:00! Or closing petrol stations after 22:00... :)

Our son has had the swine flu already first day headache and sneezing ,second day generally run down third day playing basketball, the flu hasnt mutated(yet and may never ) and the only ones dying are those who are very sick alrady and catch it ,those over 60 are more than likely immune .

one thing i will say is that if you take your child to bangkok pattaya they keep you in for a couple of days (nice little earner) two children in our street were . dont panic !!

Many do not know that when the WHO declared a level 6 for the H1N1 that

any country has the option to close its borders without notice. No one in and no one out. Just a heads up.

Arrrhhhhh, I see now! Thailand has changed its focus on milking tourists to milking those who overstay because they can't get out! They sure are adaptable :)

There's an element in Thai society that will jump at any excuse to close the country's borders and keep foreigners out. Look at the airports last year. It's disappointing that a group of doctors, who should know better, are willing to ignore what the WHO has to say about it now being pointles to try to stop H1N1 spreading, and jump on the old xenophobia bandwagon.

You may remember that last year the trains running between Bangkok and Isaan had to be withdrawn from service and fumigated for bed bugs. The cause, according to a government minister at the time - foreign backpackers.

another example of the typical Thai way of thinking. Just like prohibiting the sale of alcohol before 11:30 and between 14:00 and 17:00! Or closing petrol stations after 22:00... :)

Both of which were brought in by previous Thaksin/Samak Govts (along with early closing times;) :D

On topic, glad to see PM Abhisit refused requests to close the borders (despite the worst efforts by Puea Thai & Reds to whip-up flu-fear frenzy) :D

Nice day outside, time to hit the pool (and let the 'Thailand is <deleted>' contingent here and the usual tin-foil hat/ufologists take over;) Enjoy!

HEY - for like the 5th time - please pay attention to the original article.

THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT WHO IS PROPOSING CLOSING BORDERS.

PM: No need to shut down nation to end influenza spread

BANGKOK, 9 July 2009 (NNT) - The Prime Minister stressed that there was no need to shut down the Kingdom in response to the influenza A (H1N1) spread. Specialized teams have been formed to care for the infected.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva met yesterday with Minister of Public Health Witthaya Kaewparadai and both agreed that a complete shut down of travel to and from Thailand to stifle the spread of swine flu would be unnecessary. The PM elaborated that the death rate linked to the illness did not reach the World Health Organization's standard for such an action.

The Cabinet has set agenda to launch more measures to control the outbreak by calling on cooperation from tutoring schools and game stores, 2 venues that have shown the highest frequency of infection. The government is prepared to go as far as passing acts to close such places if they do not volunteer assistance. Teams of experienced medical practitioners have also been established to aid the severely infected patients.

Mr Abhisit assured that stockpiled medications remained sufficient to deal with the problem.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-07-09

Think about this

H1N1 cases reported to WHO Population (CIA world Fact Book) Cases H1N1 per million of population

Canada 7906 cases 33.4 million 236.5 / m

USA 33902 cases 307 million 110 / m

Thailand 2076 cases 65.9 million 31.5 / m

GET ME OUT OF CANADA ASAP, clearly Thailand is safer! (by a factor of more than 7 times actually)

Its not like Thailand is south of the equator going into winter, when H1N1 will likely spread at a faster rate.

Actually I will be heading to the LOS in about 3 weeks.

Actually, you are looking at an illusion..........the reason for the stats above is that the pandemic started in Mexico and spread from there to the USA.......Canada.........and long after it reached Southeast Asia. Give it some time and you will see the same number (more or less) of cases per million population in Thailand.

The official number of counted cases in any country is just the tip of the iceberg. Also, some theories are this strain STARTED in Asia. The vast majority of people getting a mild flu rightly do not visit a doctor or if they do visit a doctor it doesn't follow they will necessarily be tested for the specific strain.

Edited by Jingthing