The Universe Is Expanding.

How can the quasar we see be 27 billion light years away if the universe is only 14 billion years old ?

and what about the parallel universe, does it exist ? What is the other you doing in Bizarro world ?

Edited by Aswin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
More scary:

Interesting 240Z (by the way I have owned 2 240's and are still in my top 5 cars ever to have been built), but consider that if a species with the ability to travel through space, deal with entering the Earths atmosphere, then dealing with gravity and then leaving in a vehicle that had enough thrust and fuel to provide that thrust and return to their own planet....do you not think they might have built something along the lines of that technology, not just lumps of rock stacked up on top of each other? (albeit amazingly done).

IMO if I could build a spaceship, I wouldn't <deleted> about with rocks!

Any thoughts?

More scary:

Interesting 240Z (by the way I have owned 2 240's and are still in my top 5 cars ever to have been built), but consider that if a species with the ability to travel through space, deal with entering the Earths atmosphere, then dealing with gravity and then leaving in a vehicle that had enough thrust and fuel to provide that thrust and return to their own planet....do you not think they might have built something along the lines of that technology, not just lumps of rock stacked up on top of each other? (albeit amazingly done).

IMO if I could build a spaceship, I wouldn't <deleted> about with rocks!

Any thoughts?

The problem is, Egyptian and Mayan culture for instance, reported about " disc objects and alien pictures " on their acient wall drawings. In those wall drawings it showed clearly the " aliens " ruled the egyptian people. But shapes like the pyramids are found in every culture, but just a bit different from the egypt one we take as the basic. In Bosnia there is also a pyramid found, which is buried under thick layer of mud, but you can clearly see it ( search google ; bosnia pyramid ). Makes me think, all civilisation in that time, used the pyramid design? There is still no proof, nor understanding how those people, could build such vast objects, with their bear hands, and some tools they build. Those stones are weighing tons. We are missing big parts of our history line....

It's even showed the egyptians had electricity... ( A stone pot, with some acid in it, and a metal in the middle, it showed about 3 to 4 volts ).

By the way why not rocks? We are still using it today, to build part of our houses. + stone doesn't rust or something, just a little corossion, check how many thousands of years the pyramids stand... A metal or wooden building, won't do that...

It's great that we have had all of these high powered scientists engaged in mental masterbation for the past 40 years, trying to explain differences in density of the universe and the like (and that we as taxpayers have paid billions of dollars to support their work and their toys). The only real question of significance it seems to me (other than as an academic curiosity, I don't care if the universe will implode 15+ billion years from now, really! (I don't expect to be here)) is whether the universe is finite or infinite (as some others here have querried). If it is infinite, I do not understand how that is possible -- my mind just isn't programed to think in those terms (in my world everyting has boundries/limits, everything). If it is finite, what lies outside the universe, and what supports it, expanding or not? These are unanswerable questions, even with the most powerful telescopes and the most ingenious systematic analysis. Isn't that why we created "God" thousands of years ago? To put all of the responsibility (blame) on him and forget about it, so we can go back to drinking beer and chasing women (what we really do best).

The OP's article was an interesting read and I now know/think that the universe is/maybe expanding, but my bigger concern is that due to too much Beer Chang (I know) my waisteline is expanding, which is interfering with what I do best (at least the second part). If anyone has a solution to that problem (other than the obvious, drink less beer) I'd love to hear it. Cheers,

It's great that we have had all of these high powered scientists engaged in mental masterbation for the past 40 years, trying to explain differences in density of the universe and the like (and that we as taxpayers have paid billions of dollars to support their work and their toys). The only real question of significance it seems to me (other than as an academic curiosity, I don't care if the universe will implode 15+ billion years from now, really! (I don't expect to be here)) is whether the universe is finite or infinite (as some others here have querried). If it is infinite, I do not understand how that is possible -- my mind just isn't programed to think in those terms (in my world everyting has boundries/limits, everything). If it is finite, what lies outside the universe, and what supports it, expanding or not? These are unanswerable questions, even with the most powerful telescopes and the most ingenious systematic analysis. Isn't that why we created "God" thousands of years ago? To put all of the responsibility (blame) on him and forget about it, so we can go back to drinking beer and chasing women (what we really do best).

The OP's article was an interesting read and I now know/think that the universe is/maybe expanding, but my bigger concern is that due to too much Beer Chang (I know) my waisteline is expanding, which is interfering with what I do best (at least the second part). If anyone has a solution to that problem (other than the obvious, drink less beer) I'd love to hear it. Cheers,

I agree with every word mate,except that i prefer beer Leo.

Luckily my waistline is not infinite,so there is a hope.

The solution is:more exercise and less beer :)

I was afraid that someone was going to mention the exercise thing -- ugh!

I don't think that Sukumvit Soi3/4 is the "center of the universe", but I am sure that it is the place right between it's legs!! (actually, I would have said Sukumvit Soi Cowboy, but Soi 4 is close enough -- only a few hairs apart (and no reason to split hairs)).

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding

In all of the directions it can whizz

As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,

Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,

How amazingly unlikely is your birth,

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,

'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Crossy, you're a star, I got half way through the OP and knew what I wanted to post, you beat me to it.

And to the poster that used the word down, there is no such thing as down, there are six (known) dimensions; the three spatial dimensions familiar to everyone and three additional chronological dimensions - t, our axis of time, τ (tau), and т (teh), everything in the universe is moving in two of those dimensions, down isn't one of them.

Do you find many people to bounce these ideas off in Isaan, Thad?