Internet Connection For My Laptop Around Hua Hin

monkeytunes

Hello, Im not too techy so need a bit of advice,

I want to be able connect to the internet via my laptop, but I need to access it when Im mobile, im based in and around Hua Hin , could any advise me on what options I would have? Many thanks MT

You can use CDMA, check with CAT or true not sure who provides service in that area. I have a CDMA for my laptop in Surin which I got from CAT, but it does not work in Bangkok, only in Surin and I had it working in Chang Mai, unlimited use for about 800 baht per month. Not so fast... but good for checking emails and web surfing.

12call sim card...you can top up at telewiz in Market village....starts at about 50 baht for 10 hours.....200baht=50 hours 350baht=100 hours and unlimited 999Baht...great connection here and also BKK and Surin way...slow for uploading pics if you want to send any and sometimes cant get up Yahoo but apart from that is ok

• 3 months later...

Hello,

End of this month, my Thai wife and I will move from Doi Saket to Pakhnam Pranburi, 20 km south of Hua Hin. In Doi Saket I have enjoyed a fast 3Mb ADSL-connection from TT&T with negligible connection-problems. Doi Saket (Cheungdoi) does have a problem with power: sometimes 3-4 times a week a 20-30 minutes electricity outage. What is worse, and is the reason that we will be moving, is the increasing air-pollution here. That is no longer limited to 'only' the cold and hot season: right now in October, the wettest month, the burning of toxic garbage is so bad that in addition to my asthma I now also have severe irritation of eyes (infection) and nose. My wife suffers here from 'hives'-like skin problems, and even my 5 (stray) cats who all were healthy and well vaccinated, are since over 6 months increasingly suffering from irritation of eyes and nose. My wife and I spend the last 2 weeks (house-hunting) in Petchaburi, Prachuap, Chumpon: both of us could do without anti-histamines there....

We DID find a new house to rent at Pakhnam Pranburi. Health wise a perfect location. However, access to (fast) Internet seems to be a problem. A connection to TOT will cost 15.000 Thb (fee for extension of the existing line) for "free" ADSL, which consists of a telephone-line plus a 56K data-line!

I thought I could have CDMA from CAT. My wife checked internet and (in disbelief) made a call to CAT. The answer was "no CAT in Prachuap Khirikan. please contact Hutch. She then checked "Hutch" on the net to find out that the best they offer is -at 1.000 B a month- a meager 153 Kbps connection, which I think is about 1Mb, and Hutch warns that depending on the location the speed might be slower.

I am puzzled: in the tiny province of Chumpon, CAT provides cdma but NOT in Prachuap, with the mega-tourist town Hua Hin?

As I do a lot of serious spam-fighting, I DO need a fast inernet connection: regular updates for anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-virus programs are often BIG. Besides that: I love to download songs/concerts from "oldies": Group 1850, Moby Grape, Velvet Undergound etc.

Any advice on -fast- connections at Pranburi would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Jamaar

12call sim card...you can top up at telewiz in Market village....starts at about 50 baht for 10 hours.....200baht=50 hours 350baht=100 hours and unlimited 999Baht...great connection here and also BKK and Surin way...slow for uploading pics if you want to send any and sometimes cant get up Yahoo but apart from that is ok

Apologies for my ignorance but I too am coming over with a laptop for the first time. How does the sim card work exactly ? Do you buy and then just go to a website to register the number on the card ? Plus, can this be bought and works throughout Thailand to your knowledge?

Thanks for any help

Apologies for my ignorance but I too am coming over with a laptop for the first time. How does the sim card work exactly ? Do you buy and then just go to a website to register the number on the card ? Plus, can this be bought and works throughout Thailand to your knowledge?

Thanks for any help

Get a 12call sim card from any telephone shop. Put it in your phone. Go to Teliviz on the 3rd floor in Market Village and ask them to put credit on for the internet, starts at 50Baht for a few hours upto 1,000 baht for unlimited. You will need the software on your laptop, if you have a Samusung or Nokia etc they would have provided the disc when you bought the phone so make sure that you have that. You then comnnect the phone to the laptop and follow the steps that are required to establish a connection and that is it....next time you turn on your laptop a connection box will appear and you just press connect. First time you pay for the internet is a fee of about 40 Baht also and if you dont top up one mo nth you will need to pay that again.....works perfectly everywhere I have been in Thailand, from near Malaysia all the way up to Issan and in between

"I am puzzled: in the tiny province of Chumpon, CAT provides cdma but NOT in Prachuap, with the mega-tourist town Hua Hin?"

You're not locating yourself in Hua Hin. 20 km is out of town.

True, but Lamae is a very remote district in Chumpon, over 100km from the "town" Chumpon, even though the house of my wife's family is situated in the jungle outside of the village Lamae (on a rubber plantation), CAT cdma is available there....

Anyhow, I would appreciate to hear from anyone who has experience with Hutch's cdma, or any other fast alternative that can be used in Pranburi. From what I have read on Thaivisa, and info from friends who used Edge from both 1-2=Call and Dtac, that is even slower than a 56K dial-up connection.

Edited by Jamaar

Get a 12call sim card from any telephone shop. Put it in your phone. Go to Teliviz on the 3rd floor in Market Village and ask them to put credit on for the internet, starts at 50Baht for a few hours upto 1,000 baht for unlimited. You will need the software on your laptop, if you have a Samusung or Nokia etc they would have provided the disc when you bought the phone so make sure that you have that. You then comnnect the phone to the laptop and follow the steps that are required to establish a connection and that is it....next time you turn on your laptop a connection box will appear and you just press connect. First time you pay for the internet is a fee of about 40 Baht also and if you dont top up one mo nth you will need to pay that again.....works perfectly everywhere I have been in Thailand, from near Malaysia all the way up to Issan and in between

Many thanks for the helpful response. Unfortunately I have a Motorola, but the GF has both Nokia and 1-2 Call -- so that could be the way forward. Thanks again