Lynksys Wireless-g Broadband Router

Putu94

I have the following question.

We have a (modem) connection with TOT

Now we bought a Lynksys wireless router, to have the connection with the other computers and to go online.

How can we make the connection in IMac? ( how to do)?

It supposed to be easy with SecureEasySetup, but :)

How we can make connection with the laptop and the PC of my son ( both windows)?

I hope you understand the question and tell me what have to do.

Thanks to you all.

at the back of the router are 5 ports - 4 LAN (local area network ) and one set further apart WAN ( wide area network )

not sure exactly what yout TOT modem is but I will assume it has a rj45 LAN ethernet socket.

I will also assume that the modem connects to the internet and controls the connection via its inbuilt PPPoE software - username / password etc

normally these devices at default will have an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and run a DHCP server which will automatically assign an address in the 192.168.1.x range to any computer which connects to its LAN port.

first step

your linksys will also default have 192.168.1.1 assigned to its LAN side and will also be running a DHCP server handing out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range

as you can see both are going to conflict , so you need to change the linksys before you can actually plug it in to the modem.

so take your mac and connect its LAN port to a linksys LAN port ( 1 of the 4 LAN ports ) and then open up your web browser on the MAC and put 192.168.1.1 into the address bar

this should bring you to a login page - user = admin , pass = admin

now you will need to manually set an IP for the LAN side of the linksys so it will not conflict with anything else - suggest you go right up to nearly the top of the range and set it to 192.168.1.250 and also find the checkbox for enable DHCP and deselect it , then save

next step will be to connect another LAN port on the linksys to the modem LAN port ( keep the LAN in from the mac to the linksys LAN ) and you should have internet but the address now for the linksys will be 192.168.1.250

let us know if this is too confusing or if you are ready for the next step which will be to set up your wifi etc. also please give us the model of your linksys device

let us know if this is too confusing or if you are ready for the next step which will be to set up your wifi etc. also please give us the model of your linksys device

Thanks for the quick response

I will try to follow your advise.

And let you know if it is not to confusing

The TOT Modem = Billion , Bipac 5210S RC

Linksys Device, model: WRT.54GL

What I have to buy to get online with laptop and PC

Thanks again

The TOT Modem = Billion , Bipac 5210S RC

Linksys Device, model: WRT.54GL

What I have to buy to get online with laptop and PC

Thanks again

to connect via wifi you will not have to purchase anything

to connect via LAN cable you might have to purchase a cable.

the 54GL will have come with a 1.5 metre cable and I take it you had a LAN cable previously that connected the billion modem to a computer .

I notice the Billion modem has both a USB and a rj45 ethernet port - which cable have you been using to connect to the modem ?

http://au.billion.com/product/adsl/bipac5210sr_c.php

first step

your linksys will also default have 192.168.1.1 assigned to its LAN side and will also be running a DHCP server handing out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range

as you can see both are going to conflict , so you need to change the linksys before you can actually plug it in to the modem.

so take your mac and connect its LAN port to a linksys LAN port ( 1 of the 4 LAN ports ) and then open up your web browser on the MAC and put 192.168.1.1 into the address bar

this should bring you to a login page - user = admin , pass = admin

now you will need to manually set an IP for the LAN side of the linksys so it will not conflict with anything else - suggest you go right up to nearly the top of the range and set it to 192.168.1.250 and also find the checkbox for enable DHCP and deselect it , then save

till here I have follow it, till " SAVE " , but that he will not do , get message "Safari can not open the page"

I have try, to use the reset bottom , but same result.

Also what I have to do with Host name and Domain Name?

quote]

just to be sure - you originally connected to the Billion with USB or with LAN cable? ( it cannot be firewire as the billion does not have a firewire port )

if LAN follow on below

ok - you hit save and now safari cannot find page ?

if you have managed to change the LAN IP of the linksys to 192.168.1.250 and turned off its DHCP server now is the time to connect a LAN cable from a LAN port on the linksys to the LAN port on the Billion

you should then try the new address of the linksys - 192.168.1.250 and see if you get the config pages back again

Now we bought a Lynksys wireless router, to have the connection with the other computers and to go online.

It supposed to be easy with SecureEasySetup, but :D

How we can make connection with the laptop and the PC of my son ( both windows)?

Thanks to you all.

Try this:

1 - connect the single ethernet port on the back of the Linksys (labeled WAN) to the TOT modem. There are usually 4 ports in a row, and then, set apart a little bit, another port. You want the one that's set apart.

2 - Turn it on

3 - On the iMac, in the wireless panel, see if you see a wireless network called "Linksys". If so, connect to it and you are done.

If that doesn't work, set up the connection using the supplied software (those linksys CDs) on the PC of your son. It doesn't work on Mac. I have never used it but Linksys claims it's very easy :)

Edited by nikster

ok - you hit save and now safari cannot find page ?

if you have managed to change the LAN IP of the linksys to 192.168.1.250 and turned off its DHCP server now is the time to connect a LAN cable from a LAN port on the linksys to the LAN port on the Billion

you should then try the new address of the linksys - 192.168.1.250 and see if you get the config pages back again

I am connected with the LAN cable

Still, when I hit save Safari can not find the page. Maybe it is simple but I can not save the settings.

it could be as many config gui pages only work 100% with windows internet explorer.

but first I would test the address 192.168.1.250 as you changed it to

I still think I do something wrong when I hit save

" because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection

"

Well I'm a step forward :D;) It works

I connected the Linksys to the windows computer of my son , there he saved 192.168.1.250

Also I notice that the number 1 port ( of 4) was not working.

Now the Billion is connected to port 4 and lynksys to port 2

( I connected Billion, all the time to the internet port oepss :) )

what to do now to set up wifi etc

Edited by Putu94

ok - wifi

wifi requires you to select a channel - between 1 and 11 - if you are in a condo you might want to check out what channels are in use and choose one 2 away , but if you are just in a house if probably will not be an issue.

also you need an SSID - default now is linksys , change it to something. ( I use hello )

next is the security , basically you choose between WEP ( not very secure , but common as you have a shorter key ) or WPA .

WPA is recommended and once you have the linksys generate you a key copy and paste a copy into a text file , so you can then transfer it via usb etc ( even email ) and then copy and paste it into the boxes on the laptops/desktops when you hook them up via wifi.

if you are using the laptop now to config via LAN cable , then keep a copy of the text doc with the key on it and then you can copy and paste later.

the LAN connected machines will not require the key

It supposed to be easy with SecureEasySetup, but :)

Thanks to you all.

Let me know how you get on. i have the same modem and tot setup. i have setup everything fine. cant chat right now, but will be able to help in a few days if needed

ok - wifi

This Time it is to confusing

Where/how I select a channel, we are just in a house and the distance will be less the 10 mtr.

also you need an SSID - default now is linksys , change it to something. ( I use hello )

The same how and where

next is the security , basically you choose between WEP ( not very secure , but common as you have a shorter key ) or WPA .

WPA is recommended and once you have the linksys generate you a key copy and paste a copy into a text file , so you can then transfer it via usb etc ( even email ) and then copy and paste it into the boxes on the laptops/desktops when you hook them up via wifi.

I have to ask Linksys for WPA ??

if you are using the laptop now to config via LAN cable , then keep a copy of the text doc with the key on it and then you can copy and paste later.

the LAN connected machines will not require the key

How the laptop and PC connect with wifi?

They need Wifi onboard? like my Itouch?

I hope that you can tell me point by point what to do, it is something I never have done I'm more a freak with Photo's :)

Anyhow I appreciate very much your help.

if you look there you will see some tabs and one of them will be wifi or wireless

you will need to put the settings in their boxes there and then save

Wireless

Basic Settings : Network mode .....Mixed

: Network Name .....Wayan

Wireless Channel: .....11-2.462GHZ

Ssid Broadcast .... Enable or disable ??

Security: Mode:..... WPA Personal

WPA algorihms.... TKIP

WPA shared Key: xxxxxxxxxxx

how Linksys generate a key?

Mac Filter : Enable or Disable ??

Edited by Putu94

SSID broadcast - enable

WPA algorithm AES

MAC filtering disable

and go here to get 63 character alpha numeric password - copy and paste into the linksys config and also save yourself a paste in a text file

------------------------------------------------

Great, I see i'm never to old to learn :)

I have done everything , so what is the next step?

Can I use for the other computers the e-tech wireless LAN USB Adapter?

I need to copy the 63 character alpha numeric password for laptop and PC?

you will need the 63 character password on anything you want to connect to the wireless access point. - the idea of it in a text file is so you can copy it to a USB memory stick or email it etc so you can then copy and paste the key when you need it - I don't think you want to be entering it by hand every time :)

yes your USB wireless adapter will work fine - just install it and then open its utility ( or the default windows one ) and look for your SSID ( Wayan ) and connect , then paste in the 63 character password.

you will need the 63 character password on anything you want to connect to the wireless access point. - the idea of it in a text file is so you can copy it to a USB memory stick or email it etc so you can then copy and paste the key when you need it - I don't think you want to be entering it by hand every time :D

yes your USB wireless adapter will work fine - just install it and then open its utility ( or the default windows one ) and look for your SSID ( Wayan ) and connect , then paste in the 63 character password.

Thanks a lot you been a great help

One thing more, because I use the Itouch it was impossible to use the 63 Character password

I try a 9 character password and it works with the Itouch.

The 63 character password is used to have more safety ??

well anyhow I own you some beer or whatever :D , if you ever have the feeling to have a few days in Mahasarakham ( a lot of good guys) you are welcome

:)

I try a 9 character password and it works with the Itouch.

The 63 character password is used to have more safety ??

the 9 character password is probably 64bit WEP encryption ( though I thought it was 10 characters ) and that has been cracked since 2001 - there maybe a firmware update for your apple device which will allow you to use WPA encryption , but I will leave that discussion to other apple device owners :)

but any encryption is better than nothing

With thanks to "stumonster" my wireless home network works perfect. :)

The following question is maybe more difficult. ( i spend the whole weekend to find the solution)

I want to communicate between my Imac and computers (with XP) of the family

Share printers/photo/doc/etc etc.

But how??

Linksys have a wireless guard, but I could not find a download for Mac

Is there a other way to share to computers , maybe somebody have a good idea

Looking forward to your answers

Nice greetings/Thanks