Looking To Buy A Touch Screen Mobile Phone

I know buying a mobile phone is a personal thing, and every one has different needs, I am looking at buying a new up to date mobile phone that has at least the following Minimum specifications .. ( no particular order )

1. Touch Screen ( Min 3.0 inches ) non stylus

2. Minimum 3 megapixel camera ( With Flash + Auto focus )

3. Card Slot

4. GPRS

5. EDGE

6. 3G

7. Wi-Fi

8. Bluetooth

9 . USB

10. Video

11. Internal Memory

12. TV- Out

13. Radio

14. speakerphone

Ive never had a touch screen mobile phone before , so I could do with hearing your comments , suggestions and thoughts , if you were going to buy a new touch screen phone , which one would you choose ..? that has at least the above specifications , or have you bought one / using one and what do you think .

I am not in a rush , so could wait for a coming model if necessary

Thanks in Advance :)

So no iPhone for you. No cardslot, and cam not up to speed.

Still I would recommend it if you do not need multitasking. And if you are in Thailand, do you really need to pay for a 3G phone? The iPhone 2G is probably dirt cheap now, and can be upgraded to OS 3.0 as well.

I do hear good things about the Nokia 5800 Expressmusic though, and many people like the Symbian OS.

Personally I would never touch anything with Windows Mobile system, unless the manufacturer has done a complete (and good) remake of the user interface. The standard sucks to a degree where it almost become a joke, although a very expensive one.

PS!

Multitasking might sound like a gadget-freak issue, but it's not.

For an internet power user like myself, not having the ability to run my IM in the background while browsing the web or writing a mail is so freaking annoying that it probably will lead to me abandoning an otherwise brilliant little helper.

I bought a couple of HTC touch phones recently, the Diamond2 and TouchPro2. Both meet the op specs except no flash on camera. But the camera is the best I have come across on a mobile so far. Ok, its WM6.1 but HTC have done a very good job of covering that up with their own very slick cover system and they both run fast. Depends really on what apps one needs, including multitasking. Syncs effortlessly with a PC.

I'm very happy with my Nokia 5800. It has all the features you want at a reasonable price. It comes with a stylus, but the on-screen keyboard can be switched to fullscreen, so you don't need it. Good software available, including GPS navigation and map for Thailand from Garmin.

Thanks for the comments , Ive done a bit more searching and come up with this model .. LG GD900

Here's the Specification ....

Picture11.jpg

and phone ...

Picture8-2.png

Picture9.png

YouTube Demo ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zX8VZfTaU

I am wondering about the comment ... toret made ... Personally I would never touch anything with Windows Mobile system , ive read several other comments on this line , I am not too sure if this phone runs on Windows Mobile system .

What do you guy's think about this model...?

Forget about anything Windows Mobile. Windows Mobile is so bad that Gizmodo, for example, doesn't even compare WinMo phones to other phones anymore.

I'd recommend an iPhone 3GS - more expensive but also more future-proof, and a lot of the really cool stuff doesn't work on my 2 year old 2G iPhone. The camera on the 3GS is way better which is huge, and it has other niceties. No FM Radio, and do you really need a SD slot when you already have 16 or 32GB on board?

I don't know about Android - the new hardware from HTC looks really nice but it remains to be seen whether Android is as good as the iPhone.

The main question of iPhone vs others is this: Do you want to have a lot of features, or do you want to use a lot of features. For the latter, the iPhone is years ahead of anyone else.

Forget about anything Windows Mobile. Windows Mobile is so bad that Gizmodo, for example, doesn't even compare WinMo phones to other phones anymore.

I'd recommend an iPhone 3GS - more expensive but also more future-proof, and a lot of the really cool stuff doesn't work on my 2 year old 2G iPhone. The camera on the 3GS is way better which is huge, and it has other niceties. No FM Radio, and do you really need a SD slot when you already have 16 or 32GB on board?

I don't know about Android - the new hardware from HTC looks really nice but it remains to be seen whether Android is as good as the iPhone.

The main question of iPhone vs others is this: Do you want to have a lot of features, or do you want to use a lot of features. For the latter, the iPhone is years ahead of anyone else.

Thanks for the comments , from my experience with using my current mobile phone ( Sony Ericsson K790i ) one thing that

I seem to use a lot when taking photos' is the built in flash. I would like to hear if possible some comments

about the iPhone and the photo results with out a flash, your comment about .....

do you really need a SD slot when you already have 16 or 32GB on board , ...... thats a good point .

I tried the iPhone and the Blackberry Storm before settling on the Blackberry. As a business device the Blackberry wins hands down, but if it's for more casual use the iPhone is more user-friendly, the software is much better developed (Though the Storm's has improved markedly since the first release), and there's thousands of apps to extend it's capabilities.

On the other hand, the Blackberry's 3.2mp camera is great.

Don't get hung up on the card, swap files on and off of it via your PC (or Mac).

Edited by cdnvic

Original Windows Mobile seems to be made as a niche product for people who either have many years experience as software developers for Microsoft, or persons with several years of experience working in customer support for Microsoft and/or some semi-obscure company making overpriced gadgets for people who have their own personal IT-technician and a need for familiar interfaces on par with smack addiction.

I have an HTC P4350 that came (i think, me no remember those numbers) with WM5, upgradeable for free to WM6 (Microsoft giving away a "new" OS for free should set off at least a couple of alarms), but the sucky sucky-factor was still so obvious that I, burdened with a gadget addiction bordering on psychiatric diagnosis, lost all interest in record time.

So, if you choose a phone with WM, make sure the factory has designed a very good menu system on top of the OS.

In the name of fairness though, I hear HTC has become quite good at this.

PS!

If there is an unbiased (no previous Linux experience whatsoever) person out there with some Android experience, please post and/or PM me as Rotten Apple still has not got the copulating point and included copulating multitasking in their copulating OS 3.0

Ah, now I feel slightly better.

Now I am confused :)

Try to google Thailand 3G

You will find that Thailand was extremely early among ASEAN nations in deciding she wanted 3G, and bidding for concessions would take place soon. This was quite some years ago, although not a full decade, and the "3G - coming soon" on the TrueMove website is becoming more funny every time I see it.

Now even Cambodia has it. Thailand not.

Original Windows Mobile seems to be made as a niche product for people who either have many years experience as software developers for Microsoft, or persons with several years of experience working in customer support for Microsoft and/or some semi-obscure company making overpriced gadgets for people who have their own personal IT-technician and a need for familiar interfaces on par with smack addiction.

I have an HTC P4350 that came (i think, me no remember those numbers) with WM5, upgradeable for free to WM6 (Microsoft giving away a "new" OS for free should set off at least a couple of alarms), but the sucky sucky-factor was still so obvious that I, burdened with a gadget addiction bordering on psychiatric diagnosis, lost all interest in record time.

So, if you choose a phone with WM, make sure the factory has designed a very good menu system on top of the OS.

In the name of fairness though, I hear HTC has become quite good at this.

PS!

If there is an unbiased (no previous Linux experience whatsoever) person out there with some Android experience, please post and/or PM me as Rotten Apple still has not got the copulating point and included copulating multitasking in their copulating OS 3.0

Ah, now I feel slightly better.

Picturede2-2.jpg

:)

Simply because LOS has lousy IT, does not mean you must buy a dumbed-down phone, and have your friends

begin to doubt your integrity or smartz - your CPU is underutilized also. 600hp is great, at 0300, on the Interstate 10

Maybe you like to travel, and one day go to SG/USA for a real iPhone experience. The App Store is a killer.

I have owned all of the platforms - they will forever be playing catchup.

Bubba

Bubba

Including an Android phone? From everything I have read, the Hero is impressing a lot of IPhone users.

Love the idea of an open source OS to complement the one on my PCs.

Bubba

Including an Android phone? From everything I have read, the Hero is impressing a lot of IPhone users.

Love the idea of an open source OS to complement the one on my PCs.

Looks very Good, but sadly no camera flash :)

I recently got my wife a new mobile. We first ordered an LG Renoir but had to return it due to a mistake in the monthly package allocated by the supplier. Although they suggested a return and re-order, we had to take a Samsung Pixon because the LG had gone out of stock. Both are quite nice with 8 megapixel cameras and all or most of the features speciified in the OP. Having played a bit with both to set them up, I'd say that each has certain advantages. The LG had the better camera lens, a nice auto-focus and snap feature, xenon flash and dolby MP3. The touch screen on the Pixon is more responsive and the body looks stronger. Camera is still good and has a nice panorama feature. I have tried connecting my notebook to the web using the Samsung as a modem (3G in UK) and it seems to work on some versions of Vista but not others. It seems that nether handset handles GPS very well. Neither has GPS software built in. I think the Samsung works up to a point with the free AmazeGPS but it is said that sound doesn't function properly and I'm waitiung for an update before I bother trying it. People say the iPhone software and responsiveness of the touchscreen wins hands down over these rivals, but the hardware specification is inferior, especially for the camera and HSDPA. There are a couple of new models from LG and Samsung just coming out as well. P.S. No wi-fi on the Samsung but the Renoir has this feature.

Edited by citizen33

Thanks for your review, I am still searching and just seen this ...

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8910_omnia_hd-2691.php

YouTube Review ....

It seem's to have every thing on my spec list , but not too sure about this part .... OS Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5

could some one please comment on that ..?

The other thing that I wonder about is , in the past ive had a Samsung mobile phone, and had a lot of problems with up dates, and connecting

the phone to a computer, and I generally found the Samsung mobile web site , difficult and not user friendly .

Thanks

Now I am confused :)

Try to google Thailand 3G

You will find that Thailand was extremely early among ASEAN nations in deciding she wanted 3G, and bidding for concessions would take place soon. This was quite some years ago, although not a full decade, and the "3G - coming soon" on the TrueMove website is becoming more funny every time I see it.

Now even Cambodia has it. Thailand not.

Read in the Bangkok Post today or yesterday that 3G will not be available in Thailand until "late 2010" at the earliest.

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD

YouTube Review ....

It seem's to have every thing on my spec list , but not too sure about this part .... OS Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5

The other thing that I wonder about is , in the past ive had a Samsung mobile phone, and had a lot of problems with up dates, and connecting

the phone to a computer, and I generally found the Samsung mobile web site , difficult and not user friendly .

Thanks

Looks good i have found this review you may be interested in

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-i8910-hd.htm

Do you know the price are they asking for this phone here?

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD

YouTube Review ....

Thanks

Looks good i have found this review you may be interested in

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-i8910-hd.htm

Do you know the price are they asking for this phone here?

Well the review words .... Outstanding and a Full 5 Stars , has to make any one look , although from my past experiences

in trying to use the Samsung web site , download and use software and tether a past Samsung mobile phone to a PC and Mac , makes me wince just thinking about it . :)

Picture1-3.png

Features of the Samsung i8910 HD include:

* 8 megapixel camera with 4x digital zoom, autofocus and power LED flash

* HD video camera with power LED video light, DivX playback

* 3G video calling with secondary VGA camera

* Display: AMOLED, 16 million colours, 640 x 360 pixels (3.7 inches)

* MP3 player (MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA formats), stereo speakers & DNSe 2.0

* Stereo FM radio RDS

* MP3 ringtones

* Speakerphone

* GPS satellite navigation

* Messaging: SMS, MMS, email (POP3 / SMTP / IMAP4), instant messaging

* Document viewer

* Java games (Java MIDP 2.0)

* Personal organiser functions

* Offline mode

* Memory: 8/16 Gbytes plus microSD memory card slot (up to 32 GB)

* Internet: HTML web browser, WAP 2.0, GPRS Class 12, EDGE, 3G HSDPA (7.2 Mbps), HSUPA (5.76 Mbps)

* Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.0, USB 2.0, WiFi, 3.5mm audio jack

* Quadband GSM plus triband 3G HSDPA/HSUPA

* Size: 123 x 58 x 12.9 mm

* Weight: 144g

* Talktime: up to 13.5 hours

* Battery standby: 600 hours

As for the price , not sure

has any one seen this phone on sale here in Thailand ..?

Thanks