Japanese Voted World's Best Tourists By Hoteliers

LaoPo

I am not french, but i don't think the french are the worst tourists unless..... the survey talk about the "maghrebin", the north-african origin french people, and yes, they are the worst!!

Every hotel/guesthouse (in Pattaya and Patong in Phuket, the only places they visit) owner can confirm that.

I have two friends who work in high-end hotels, one a very, very high-end place.  Both of them like to take care of Japanese (one runs one of the reception shifts, one has been a personal butler before moving to the spa.)  The Japanese don't complain much at all.  BUt bottom line is how much money they make, so both of them like Americans and Russians, with one saying the Russians are the biggest tippers, the other saying that both Russians and Americans tip about the same.  Neither like Indian guests as, according to them, Indians complain incessently and tip poorly.  One likes mainland Chinese as she has had good exepriences in tipping from them.  

Those are just some random opinions they have expressed to me at different times.

I am French and I agree with the survey !

Just wouldn't like to be a Japanese who do not complain during his holidays then suicide back home because of worst vacation ;-) , better complain on the spot !

And I understand why everybody like Japanese tourists, they are big spenders and super quiet people, just want hotels and shops like !

Actually I wonder if Chinese are not really the worst...

Brits the 2nd biggest tippers - interesting. All the one's I know are the tightest. :D

Great minds think alike, James. The British tip? :D

:)

While our business caters to budget travellers, I have to say while the Japanese may be clean and polite, they can be extremely demanding, when they can communicate with you, that is. They are some of the hardest to deal with, IME, mainly because they cannot speak English very well and cannot understand English very well. Many of the Japanese I have met cannot at all. That said, for those very few who do speak English well, they are lovely people.

We get mainly young people in our place, under 30, and I have to say that we rarely have awful ones and when we do I am quite cognizant of the concept that awful people can come from any nation. That said, our (Thai) staff does not like to have Thai people as they are generally very demanding and treat the staff like servants. Australian, Kiwi, Canadian, American, British and European budget travellers are usually very easy to deal with, lots of fun and I have made many good and close friends with our guests over the years.

I couldn't say there is a "worst" and a "best" nationality because really, it does all depend on the individual

But, I can't say that many british are good tippers :D.

The Japanese are almost always polite it's not just tourists. Great people all around (too generalise of course).

I don't understand this 'treat staff as servants'? Service staff are servants no? Do you mean treat like slaves?

I think many of us westerners demand to little of service staff. Probably cause we're used to exceptionanlly bad service where we come from. I blame the high minimum wage! :D

Service personnel are not your personal servants, they are their to do their jobs, and in a budget place, that is not to cater to every whim. Thais tend to be completely unrealistic as to this concept. Chinese too for that matter.

Fine, if you are staying in a high end place and paying plenty of money for it, but for a budget place?