Illegal Immigration

Does anybody know what the rules are for somebody who entered Thailand illegally but now wants to legalize his status. In the US, I think they'd have to leave and then get in line, so I am wondering what the law says here.

Can somebody who entered illegally apply to be legalized inside Thailand? There are a couple of people I know who arrived here from Myanmar without a passport but now have received one and I told them I'd check. I'm surprised that they care. The gardener of the place where I stayed in Samui had been there for a long time and it seems there is not much of a crackdown on illegal immigrants in Thailand.

In an unrelated question, when would a foreigner have to show a visa? I didn't have to do it for traveling by train or bus, only for plane trips.

It would depend on the nationality, as the Thai government sometimes has "amnesty programs" for illegal imigratns from neighbouring countries, in which they can legalise their status. But that is only neighbouring countries. You might contact a refugee agency for more information.

Traveling without a visa is always a risk, as you can be checked. It does happen and he frequency you are checked depends on where you are in Thailand. In some border regions they check strictly because of illegal immigrants. Take for instance the Mae Sod area, where you can expext to be checked for sure. A "white" person is always less likely to be checked then someone who looks asian, but they are checking.

Does anybody know what the rules are for somebody who entered Thailand illegally but now wants to legalize his status. In the US, I think they'd have to leave and then get in line, so I am wondering what the law says here.

Can somebody who entered illegally apply to be legalized inside Thailand? There are a couple of people I know who arrived here from Myanmar without a passport but now have received one and I told them I'd check. I'm surprised that they care. The gardener of the place where I stayed in Samui had been there for a long time and it seems there is not much of a crackdown on illegal immigrants in Thailand.

In an unrelated question, when would a foreigner have to show a visa? I didn't have to do it for traveling by train or bus, only for plane trips.

A foreigner would only need to show a visa when travelling by air or in/out of the country. If you on any other kind of transportation you need ID or your passport. Travelling without it is pretty serious and could get you detained or even deported :) There are some exceptions, but why take the risk?

-------------------------------------

DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN THAT KIND OF SHIT!!!!!

THE POLICE WILL COME ANYHOW SOONER OR LATER,

AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE THERE IN THE MIDDLE..

YOU CANT SAVE THEM ALL... ESPECIALLY NOT THESE

FROM BURMA OR LAOS THAT WORKS HERE ALMOST FOR

NOTHING....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

-------------------------------------

DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN THAT KIND OF SHIT!!!!!

THE POLICE WILL COME ANYHOW SOONER OR LATER,

AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE THERE IN THE MIDDLE..

YOU CANT SAVE THEM ALL... ESPECIALLY NOT THESE

FROM BURMA OR LAOS THAT WORKS HERE ALMOST FOR

NOTHING....

Glegolo

No need to shout, most of us can read.