Sandwich Counter At Rimping?

Sansai Sam

I am proposing to Rimping that they add to their meat counter a fresh deli sandwich option and I am curious to see what members think of the idea. With all the deli meats and breads available I for one would love to be able to stop by and pick up a freshly made sandwich for lunch. What do the rest of you think? Would you use it?

100% ABSOLUTELY I would love it!! :)

I find the ready made food offerings at all the supermarkets here pretty lame.

At the moment I make my own sandwiches with whole wheat bread, cheese, salad and occasionally meat but even that is a fuss.

Amazing sand. is just okay. More convenient if I can pickup at Rimping and buy my fruits etc at the same time.

Btw, Sansai Sam, which club was yours in HK? I lived there for quite awhile and did my share of clubbing, those were the (crazy) days!

Wanchai via LKF was a steady circuit for years.

Rimping Mae chok has some kind of bakery apart from the store. Too expensive and Not what I would want from a bakery. If somebody who runs or owns Rimping is reading this, I would suggest to move the cheese department to the milk department, and the milk department to the corner behind the coffee department where they sell useless too expensive goods like bbq's etc.

Also the bread should be fresh every day and not like now.. getting 5 days old bread with a discount :)

But That is my idea and who am I?

Edited by cmjantje

Rimping Mae chok has some kind of bakery apart from the store. Too expensive and Not what I would want from a bakery. If somebody who runs or owns Rimping is reading this, I would suggest to move the cheese department to the milk department, and the milk department to the corner behind the coffee department where they sell useless too expensive goods like bbq's etc.

Also the bread should be fresh every day and not like now.. getting 5 days old bread with a discount :)

But That is my idea and who am I?

Probably someone who appreciates good food.

I went there for the first time a coupla weeks ago and was shocked that they didn't have a fresh bread section as the other branches do, albeit recently added at the river store. I would imagine that will change in the not too distant future. I'm sure they're well aware of the store is in dire need of change in the bread department, as they seem to be getting all the other stuff pretty much right and have a professional approach to running supermarkets.

And 'yes' I would love a decent sandwich counter.

regards Bojo

I ....... was shocked that they didn't have a fresh bread section

Deli sandwiches would be a great draw. RE fresh bread: I have been in there numerous times where they are putting out bread with today's date stamped on it. RE bakery past cashiers: I, personally, like their products.

Edited by noise

I for one would love to be able to stop by and pick up a freshly made sandwich for lunch. What do the rest of you think? Would you use it?

Probably not ; but it sounds like a good idea. I stock up at Rimping Meechok about twice a week and always buy a loaf of Joe's Bakery's German Rye bread. Its a smallish loaf,keeps fresh for over a week in the fridge, and what's more, it tastes good. Rather than ready made sandwiches I would prefer to buy Joe's Multi Grain cob and tear it apart in chunks to go with the tomatoes and Cheddar cheese. (No connection with Joe; I just love that bread)

The small glass stall just outside the cash desks is, I believe, "Butter is Better's" (Hang Dong Bakery) display.Its contents strike me too as overpackaged and overpriced. I never see anything to tempt me ; the cakes don't look attractively homemade like the few offerings at Kasems or even the ones at the UN Irish Pub.

Wow! I am new to CM and just discovered Rimping over here in San Sai. I was giddy with delight at all the things I saw on offer!! I made sure to get a club card too as I have a feeling I will be shopping there a lot. Although some things seem very expensive. Bag of Doritos potato chips was about 130 baht, but I haven't been to the States in a while so maybe the price is high there too (I understand their imported so of course there is a premium to be paid).

I for one would love to be able to stop by and pick up a freshly made sandwich for lunch. What do the rest of you think? Would you use it?

Probably not ; but it sounds like a good idea. I stock up at Rimping Meechok about twice a week and always buy a loaf of Joe's Bakery's German Rye bread. Its a smallish loaf,keeps fresh for over a week in the fridge, and what's more, it tastes good. Rather than ready made sandwiches I would prefer to buy Joe's Multi Grain cob and tear it apart in chunks to go with the tomatoes and Cheddar cheese. (No connection with Joe; I just love that bread)

The small glass stall just outside the cash desks is, I believe, "Butter is Better's" (Hang Dong Bakery) display.Its contents strike me too as overpackaged and overpriced. I never see anything to tempt me ; the cakes don't look attractively homemade like the few offerings at Kasems or even the ones at the UN Irish Pub.

I think you're missing something Asmerom..I said "freshly made" to order sandwiches and you said "ready made sandwiches"...does it make a difference in your opinion?

I would venture that they are better than any of the cakes that you have mentioned, but they are not cheap. Try one of the stickybuns, brownies or ricepudding before you make up your mind. :)

I think you're missing something Asmerom..I said "freshly made" to order sandwiches and you said "ready made sandwiches"...does it make a difference in your opinion?

Bit late replying ; got hunkered down with Proust in the garden. You're quite right, I was as usual, missing something. and was thinking of prepared sandwiches lying in wait for the unwary, comatose and suffering in a plastic wrapper, carefully designed to ensure that the contents splatter all over the floor as you struggle to prise it open.

Yes indeed; now I remember. You mean like those places where there's a counter arrayed with rows of containers full of yummy and often exotic mixtures of fresh moist ingredients -- egg and cress, avocado and cheese,bacon, onions, tomato ad infinitum and your chosen selection gets piled and stuffed onto the freshly baked bread of your choice. Yes I would probably be very tempted by such a display of fresh ingredients. Bring it on, Rimping!

Ulysses G :

The "imported" carrot cake at Kassems is unbeatable for a fresh, wholesome, homemade, tasty, almost healthy mouthful of something sweet. Their in-house apple tart is awful; unlike the one at the Irish Pub where the slices of similar cakes vie for quality with Kassem's carrot cake. Kassem's just can't make pastry. None of the Butter is Better offerings have anything like this fresh homemade appeal. They look factory produced and packed. Solid, as opposed to light and fluffy.Nevertheless, knowing your gastronomic renown hereabouts, I must try and test your suggestions before I'm completely satisfied I'm right.

Ulysses G :

The "imported" carrot cake at Kassems is unbeatable for a fresh, wholesome, homemade, tasty, almost healthy mouthful of something sweet. Their in-house apple tart is awful; unlike the one at the Irish Pub where the slices of similar cakes vie for quality with Kassem's carrot cake. Kassem's just can't make pastry. None of the Butter is Better offerings have anything like this fresh homemade appeal. They look factory produced and packed. Solid, as opposed to light and fluffy.Nevertheless, knowing your gastronomic renown hereabouts, I must try and test your suggestions before I'm completely satisfied I'm right.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the items at both places that you mentioned, but I might not have ever tried the carrot cake. I have not eaten anything from their bakery for quite a while. Why do you call it "imported"

I do think that Butter is Better products are generally of higher quality than anything that I had there in the past, but I would hesitate to recommend it too highly. IMHO, it is pretty good for Chiang Mai.

Have you eaten anything from Butter is Better or are you just going by the way that it is packaged and presented?

Why do you call it "imported"

I do think that Butter is Better products are generally of higher quality than anything that I had there in the past, but I would hesitate to recommend it too highly. IMHO, it is pretty good for Chiang Mai.

Have you eaten anything from Butter is Better or are you just going by the way that it is packaged and presented?

Why "imported"? Well, I couldn't think of the right word to describe a product which they don't make themselves on the premises ,as they do most of the other pastries displayed, but is made by a freelance individual outsider (maybe a middle aged English lady expat who used to supply her local annual Fair in Guildford with homemade goodies) and brought in - just like their Marmalade is. And the difference between the two products is clear. "Outsourced", perhaps might have been less ambiguous. "Imported" doesn't necessarily mean "from abroad" as you know. Its often used in computer speak to mean an item imported into a file from another file.

Yes, I have bought things from Butter is Better (can't remember what) but do remember being disappointed ; otherwise I wouldn't be expressing an opinion.I often scour their shelves as I'm often in Rimping ( the one on the 1001 Sansai Road) and just can't believe it always looks so depressingly heavy,stodgy,unappetising and costly. But,as I say, I'll give it another try, difficult as it maybe overcoming the price barrier to buy something so unappealing---to me, that is. Each to his own.

If you already tried their products and were not happy, I would not bother. It is just that I would usually prefer them to the other places that you mentioned.

However, it sounds like the carrot cake is fairly new and well worth checking out. Your description of "imported" actually made perfect sense, but I don't remember them selling outside baked goods, so I wanted to make sure. :)

They put that sweet salad dressing on sandwiches and ruin them. If only they would make some with real mayo!

I will be accused of stalking, but never mind! How can you stalk a guy who has enough posts to reach the moon?!

Anyway, UG is bang on when it comes to mayonaise. The Thai version is very, very sweet and really not suited to some tastes including American, English, and Japanese.

I will be accused of stalking, but never mind! How can you stalk a guy who has enough posts to reach the moon?!

When almost every single post is directly or indirectly related to another poster, being accused of stalking is inevitable. That is why Priceless put you on ignore.

However, you have been much better lately. Please keep it up. :)

Ulysses G :

The "imported" carrot cake at Kassems is unbeatable for a fresh, wholesome, homemade, tasty, almost healthy mouthful of something sweet.

Asmeron, you are right about those "imported" items at Kasems. The German Blueberry Coffeecake ain't bad either! Thank you! :)

They put that sweet salad dressing on sandwiches and ruin them. If only they would make some with real mayo!

Anyway, UG is bang on when it comes to mayonaise. The Thai version is very, very sweet and really not suited to some tastes including American, English, and Japanese.

And you can most definitely add Australian to your list.

It is pretty easy to go back to it: If they use real mayo for those who want it, it is a great idea. :)

Unfortunately we live in the land of sweet. However there is help at hand and it comes in the form of a 'best foods' IKG pack of mayonnaise, labelled on the front of plastic see thru pack 'original style'.

It's available at Macro and at most of the other big stores around town. So if any of your favourite haunts are serving the sweet stuff there's a very cheap alternative @ around 110b.

Regards Bojo

For dressing on a salad you cannot beat Kraft's Miracle Whip!!!!!

I fell down onto my knees when I saw it for sale here!!!! It is the only dressing I have used on my sandwiches my entire life. The Miracle Whip is imported from the US so I think we're lucky to have it.

I also noticed they have Kraft velveta cheese at Rimpink. You can do sooo much with it. It is especially good to use on nachos.

A fresh sandwich counter would rock. Nothing beats a good sandwich and there are endless meats and cheeses and dressings, etc. to chose from. Combine with some Doritos or corn chips with salsa and you got one hel_l of a meal!

Now I'm hungry, gotta go :)