What Has Happened To The Weather

lampard10

What's happening to the weather here in Thailand? From an early January low of around 10 and high of around 20 to a late Jan/early Feb low of 30 and a high of 40+,the temp has plummeted again to a low of around 14/15 at night creeping up to just 28/30 in the day. I have noticed over the years the 'winter' temp getting lower each year,but then it gradually gets back up to a mean average of 30/32 about this time. Not this year it's going up and down like a bloody yo-yo. Maybe it's just Isaan. What's the weather like in the rest of Thailand? I do look in the BKK Post,but they are no-where near some of the time. Weather experts please.

Here's the forecast for the Chonburi district...

As you can see, not a lot of variation... (21-23° at night and 35-37° daytime).

Tuesday

Clear. High: 95° F / 35° C Wind SSE 4 mph / 7 km/h

Tuesday Night

Scattered Clouds. Low: 73° F / 23° C Wind WSW 2 mph / 3 km/h

Wednesday

Scattered Clouds. High: 95° F / 35° C Wind SSE 8 mph / 14 km/h

Wednesday Night

Clear. Low: 73° F / 23° C Wind WSW 4 mph / 7 km/h

Thursday

Scattered Clouds. High: 96° F / 36° C Wind SSE 8 mph / 14 km/h

Thursday Night

Scattered Clouds. Low: 69° F / 21° C Wind WSW 2 mph / 3 km/h

Friday

Scattered Clouds. High: 98° F / 37° C Wind South 6 mph / 10 km/h

Friday Night

Scattered Clouds. Low: 69° F / 21° C Wind West 2 mph / 3 km/h

Saturday

Scattered Clouds. High: 98° F / 37° C Wind SSE 6 mph / 10 km/h

Saturday Night

Scattered Clouds. Low: 71° F / 22° C Wind WSW 2 mph / 3 km/h

Sunday

Clear. High: 96° F / 36° C Wind SSE 6 mph / 10 km/h

Sunday Night

Scattered Clouds. Low: 71° F / 22° C Wind WSW 2 mph / 3 km/

The Issan is well-known for having such temperature varations: freezing cold sometimes yet at other times hot enough to fry and egg. Lots of factors, such as wind patterns, amount of moisture (humidity) in the air as well as the foliage and the terrain all effect the ambient temperature. Issan is almost desert like in certain areas and deserts are freezing cold at night since there are no clouds or enough foliage to trap the heat that is radiating back up into the atmosphere after the sun sets.

Bangkok is more or less like Chonburi...little variation. Funny thing is, it sometimes feels as hot at night as it does than during the day. Probably the lack of a good breeze.

dont know whats happening to the weather , but i do know that the bangkok post and the nation do not give very accurate or informative forecasts. probably because the weather is so predictable here.

coming from the uk , i am used to very detailed explanations of what is happening weatherwise , weatherwatching is a national pastime over there.

for a rather better picture of what is happening in thailand go to the thai meteorological department website at.

http://www.thaimet.tmd.go.th/eng/default.asp

Not trying to use scare tactics or anything, but it is just reality that the polar ice caps and glaciers worldwide are melting at a faster rate than scientists had thought. This will have an adverse effect on climate and weather around the world.

It is now being said that summer winds that usually clear southern California of its

air pollution will stop blowing in the near future. It may well happen to Thailand as well. Just a small rise in sea level will change the wind patterns, swell directions and salinity in the world's oceans. This will have a direct effect on ecology, animal

life and ultimately human life. Weather these changes will be negative is anybody's

guess. There will undoubtably be some panic as the decades go by, but animals and humans (to lesser degree) are very adaptable and will just have to cope with it. Hey, at least my condo in Krung Thep is on the fourth floor. :o

Most places with long-term weather records seem to show much wider variations than people would assume. Seeing the averages and daily high/low records over years, decades, and centuries can be pretty surprising! I think the safe bet is to think what you have experienced so far is relatively unusual in the larger climatic sense. Only when you live your whole life somewhere, learning what your grandparents have to say about the weather there too, can you really get a sense of what is normal. I am reminded of all the immigrants to California I met who arrived during brutal droughts and then were dismayed when it finally started raining. This repeats itself every major El Nino cycle...

As for this week, it seems to be getting hotter in Bangkok since when I left on a trip last month. It's about what I would expect as we head towards March and April. Now, I was in Chicago on my trip and let me tell you it seemed mild there for this time of year, being only slightly below freezing instead of freakishly Arctic with wind chill cold enough to freeze miscellaneous parts off. :o

What's happening to the weather here in Thailand? From an early January low of around 10 and high of around 20 to a late Jan/early Feb low of 30 and a high of 40+,the temp has plummeted again to a low of around 14/15 at night creeping up to just 28/30 in the day. I have noticed over the years the 'winter' temp getting lower each year,but then it gradually gets back up to a mean average of 30/32 about this time. Not this year it's going up and down like a bloody yo-yo. Maybe it's just Isaan. What's the weather like in the rest of Thailand? I do look in the BKK Post,but they are no-where near some of the time. Weather experts please.

Try CNN.com weather, it has several sites in Thiland and the one for Udon seems to have been fairly accurate most of the time. they do miss sometimes

Edited by ray23

The weather is definately changing all over the globe. In good ole South Australia (The dryest state on the dryest continent in the world), the weather used to fluctuate between 0 degrees at night in winter to 50 degrees in summer. It is now trying to get to 35 degrees in summer and Im told, consecutives days over 35 are now just a memory.

Thailand is far from hot, for an Aussie. :o

The Issan is well-known for having such temperature varations: freezing cold sometimes yet at other times hot enough to fry and egg. Lots of factors, such as wind patterns, amount of moisture (humidity) in the air as well as the foliage and the terrain all effect the ambient temperature. Issan is almost desert like in certain areas and deserts are freezing cold at night since there are no clouds or enough foliage to trap the heat that is radiating back up into the atmosphere after the sun sets.

Bangkok is more or less like Chonburi...little variation. Funny thing is, it sometimes feels as hot at night as it does than during the day. Probably the lack of a good breeze.

I don't know about the "freezing cold" (pleasantly cool, ok), but "hot enough to fry an egg" I can go with. Have had a "cool front" come through Issan the last few days. Enjoy while you can. :o

Thailand is far from hot, for an Aussie.  :D

You don't find the humid heat much more oppressive? I grew up with dry heat: frequent 37 C and 43+ C every few years. To me, humid temps above 32 C are much less comfortable than even 43 when it is dry. I don't think I've ever felt 50 C outside a sauna!

It's funny how I've met Thai people who describe tropical humidity like a comforting hug and who are genuinely distressed by dry air where they've moved in the US. On the other hand, I'd rather be in the desert shooting chunks of salt straight out of my pores than smothered in the humidity here in BKK. :o

I know there is a long - running thread about this...But the real issue here is Why it has not rained...six hours in six months+ If it was Europe everthing would be dead. The River Yom is now disappearing though The River Nan looks pretty normally full...but it has the dams..Here the days change..we have had cloudy mornings, with the sun not breaking through til midday...then 40+ and yes at night need the duvet....

Those polar ice caps melting (as another poster mentioned) is unsettling to say the least. Places like England will get much cooler...courtesy of the extra water in the oceans wiping out the North Atlantic Drift. My home state, Florida, may well be under water in the next couple hundred years. When I was growing up in Fort Lauderdale, you could dig down just six feet in your backyard and hit water.

One of the reasons the Issan struggles financially is because it's difficult to grow many popular crops there. Much of the land is dry and dusty. In the hot season, you can literally walk over to Laos at some points along the Mekong River.

Is d.a.m.n. banned on this forum? :o

Too ####### it is. ####### bloody ##### annoying at ####### times.

####, I ######' don't know the #### why.

####, it's not ####### as if we're not ######'n bloody ####### adults or something.

:D

Since i came back last month i cant get warm Dug out the long Johns today as it is wet and snowing.

Dream of leaving the arrivals hall and walking down the incline to taxi in bkk so dont complain about the heat.

I remember a couple years ago when India had that heat wave it was 50C on some days! :o I always tell people here it's a little hotter and a little more humid than South Florida but the cool season there is much cooler than here... but nothing compared to those winters in Europe!

Thailand is far from hot, for an Aussie.  :D

You don't find the humid heat much more oppressive? I grew up with dry heat: frequent 37 C and 43+ C every few years. To me, humid temps above 32 C are much less comfortable than even 43 when it is dry. I don't think I've ever felt 50 C outside a sauna!

It's funny how I've met Thai people who describe tropical humidity like a comforting hug and who are genuinely distressed by dry air where they've moved in the US. On the other hand, I'd rather be in the desert shooting chunks of salt straight out of my pores than smothered in the humidity here in BKK. :o

I spent quite a few years in the Northern Territory and North Queensland - on par with here I think.