Ed Visa Questions

Walen School, at least here in Chiang Mai, has a good reputation for teaching Thai and for following thru on their visa promises. It is definitely not some kind of scam.

Admittedly, some students don't like the initial emphasis on learning the alphabet and how to read and write. I suspect many of those students want to learn to converse with the local residents really want to converse with Thai bar girls. I think those most of those girls know enough English to do their jobs and their Thai isn't going to be standard "television news reader Thai" since most come from Issan.

In the long run, it's better to learn how to read and write early if you're really serious about learning Thai.

I'm retired and don't need an ED visa, but I like to study the Thai language and have done it for three years. Some of the students at the YMCA's good non-visa Thai programs are also Walen students. They're serious about learning Thai, so they take both the classes at Walen and the ones at the Y.

I think reading Thai is an important skill if you want to speak Thai properly. It makes knowing the tones much easier.

I have heard good things about Walen in Chiang Mai and never heard of anyone having a problem with their visa with them. I think if you are going through Walen you don't have anything to worry about.

Lopburi3, thank you very much, yes, conservation would be the keyword.

I will attend Walen in Pattaya, it would be very helpful if anyone had pics of the actual ED-extensions and re-entry stamps they issue in Jomtien nowadays.

Also, although it seems MacWalen is not active these days, on your website you write "You can study Thai for 3 years using the same ED visa, every year we will need to obtain for you a new letter from the Ministry of Education." Does it mean extensions every 90 days, and only one full page ED visa for 3 years?

A visa is a permission to travel to Thailand, nothing more. Once inside Thailand you don't need your visa anymore. Inside Thailand you will be asking for extensions of stay. For a language schoosl these are typically given for 90 days at a time, at the end of these 90 days you renew again with proof from the school you are still studying. Your visa is no longer important.

Good information in this Thread, however, I still have some questions.

FACTS :

• I have a tight budget :-(
  • Arrived in Bangkok, October 2nd (30 day arrival visa)
  • I want 1 year student Visa
  • Will sign up at Walen for 180 classes on October 26th. (25k baht)

Questions

1. How long does it take to get the paperwork?
  2. Where is the easiest place to go get the non-im ED Visa? (additional fees?)
  3. Every 90 days, is my extension free? OR Do I have to pay an extra 1900 baht to the immigration office each time?

Paperwork takes, depending on the location, from one to five weeks. Tell me where you want to study and I can be more precise.

The best location to get an ED visa is Vientiane but other locations work well also with the exception of Hongkong.

Walen School

MacWalen, hello. On your website you write "You can study Thai for 3 years using the same ED visa, every year we will need to obtain for you a new letter from the Ministry of Education." Does it mean extensions every 90 days, and only one full page ED visa for 3 years?

MacWalen, hello. On your website you write "You can study Thai for 3 years using the same ED visa, every year we will need to obtain for you a new letter from the Ministry of Education." Does it mean extensions every 90 days, and only one full page ED visa for 3 years?

That is correct, as long as we process all the documents required for the extension for the following year on time you will not need a new ED visa. Only extensions. You will keep using the original visa.

this is perfect, many thanks to OP for this thread

I was wondering how I'd do the visa process, but since I also want to learn to read/write/speak thai this is a wonderful alternative

and without a doubt the way I'll do things

having read some reviews on Walen, all being 99% positive, I feel very comfortable knowing they care about what they do, and not just the money they bring in

anyone having experiences with the pattaya branch of school, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on the school and the process

@MacWalen, am I correct to presume I can arrive with a 60 day visa, get a 30 day extension, and that thru you I can get the ED visa without leaving the country??

many thanks for all replies and help.

I was wondering how I'd do the visa process, but since I also want to learn to read/write/speak thai this is a wonderful alternative

having read some reviews on Walen, all being 99% positive, I feel very comfortable knowing they care about what they do, and not just the money they bring in

anyone having experiences with the pattaya branch of school, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on the school and the process

@MacWalen, am I correct to presume I can arrive with a 60 day visa, get a 30 day extension, and that thru you I can get the ED visa without leaving the country??

That is not correct, you will need to leave the country to obtain an ED visa unfortunately, is it not possible to change to an ED visa in Thailand, for private language schools that is (using legal channels). We recommend Vientiane in Laos. Another way is to get the paperwork processed before you arrive and apply for the ED visa in your country.

Walen School - we will take good care of you.

That is correct, as long as we process all the documents required for the extension for the following year on time you will not need a new ED visa. Only extensions. You will keep using the original visa.

Thank you, MacWalen. Do you know maybe how much space these extensions take in a passport? I will attend your school in Pattaya and go to the Jomtien Immigration.

That is not correct, you will need to leave the country to obtain an ED visa unfortunately, is it not possible to change to an ED visa in Thailand, for private language schools that is (using legal channels). We recommend Vientiane in Laos. Another way is to get the paperwork processed before you arrive and apply for the ED visa in your country.

MacWalen as you are currently monitoring this thread I would like to ask you to read a new thread I have opened in the Thai language section which is specifically to do with some queries I have regarding your methodology of teaching.thank you

<h4></h4>

Thank you, MacWalen. Do you know maybe how much space these extensions take in a passport? I will attend your school in Pattaya and go to the Jomtien Immigration.

You should be able to get 3 per page.

You should be able to get 3 per page.

Thank you very much, MacWalen, 3 per page sounds great!

but surly thats the best option for someone just wanting the ed visa for visa's sake, how many thai immo staff speak Russian?

Thai immigration is not stupid and we would not even like to think this way. If they want to test somebody they can easily. We do everything by the book as good relations with the immigration and the ministry of education are very important to us.

Walen School - don't abuse the system that works!

Edited by MacWalen

So how many lessons can someone miss before you warn them then take any actions based on those warnings and what would those actions be?

Its not the school im sure who abuses the system (and i am not saying you do) It is the individual of course. My question is. How do you ensure your students are not abusing the system?

My point was if you are studying Russian are there these mini tests at immo at the 90 day thing? I am doubting it as of now.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am now in Pattaya and would like the Walen school here to prepare the necessary documents for my ED visa.

However, after coming back to Thailand with that visa, I intend to study at the Walen school in Chiangmai.

Is it possible for the Walen school in Pattaya to prepare the documents in this case?

Also, as a Walen student, can I freely and at any time change schools to your other locations?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

If you are listening to macwhalen, my advise it that you validate before you buy.

This goes for any Thai language school. Different schools use different teaching methods. Before you sign up, sit in on a free trial class to see if the teaching method suits you.

Alin, I think it will be best if you email the Walen school about your question regarding the possibility of transferring from one branch to another after enrolling. Click on their banner advertisement to find the email address if you don't have it already.

If you are listening to macwhalen, my advise it that you validate before you buy.

Gvan, do you know any genuing case where there was ever a problem with Walen not delivering when it comes to an ED visa assistance? People can discusse our teaching methods but when it comes to an ED visa asissatnce we are undisputed experts. We have processed thousands of cases.

Walen School - ED visa assistance experts.

Hello,

I am now in Pattaya and would like the Walen school here to prepare the necessary documents for my ED visa.

However, after coming back to Thailand with that visa, I intend to study at the Walen school in Chiangmai.

Is it possible for the Walen school in Pattaya to prepare the documents in this case?

Also, as a Walen student, can I freely and at any time change schools to your other locations?

Thank you!

Hi Alin, if you want to learn in Chiangmai we will process your paperwork there but we can do it through our branch in Pattaya. We network all the time between our schools. Soon you can also study in Chiang Rai or Samui as new schools there will be opened soon.