Slow Internet In Thailand? Try Opendns Settings.

BergRace

In regards to another posting on here.

A. In regards to privacy or anything online. Realistically it seems anybody even companies are continually try to push what they can and can't do. They already have the media industry trying to make them ISP Cops. I seriously would not be suprised if already some companies have employed some kind of

Deep Packet Inspections into their system.

B. Regarding data maybe not personal but certain companies can use doubleclick.net get the javascript for it and gather advertising data

C. As far as servers go and one point there was a website from a Dan something that checked to see if your dns you were running was secure or not. I believe as with anything computer or otherwise its only as secure as the person knows how to secure it

Many sites depend on ads to make money. TV does and I believe its fine and support the idea.

Sites that make money have better content and services, but it has a down side also. These ads often contact the internet many times during page loading. At no fault of the web site at times this can cause slow web browsing.

If your file download and speed test is good but browsing is a problem it may be caused be the local internet not getting fast responses from the ad sites.

Also check MTU setting running the highest number in Thailand seems to be a problem for some, try reducing it 8 bit at a time to clear the routing problem.

These are the two things that resolved all my web problems from Thailand.

I also use both the open and advantage dns IP's

Many sites depend on ads to make money. TV does and I believe its fine and support the idea.

Sites that make money have better content and services, but it has a down side also. These ads often contact the internet many times during page loading. At no fault of the web site at times this can cause slow web browsing.

If your file download and speed test is good but browsing is a problem it may be caused be the local internet not getting fast responses from the ad sites.

Also check MTU setting running the highest number in Thailand seems to be a problem for some, try reducing it 8 bit at a time to clear the routing problem.

These are the two things that resolved all my web problems from Thailand.

I also use both the open and advantage dns IP's

Yes, you're right, I changed my (1424 + 28 IP and ICMP headers= 1452 is the optimum MTU setting) too. The original setting by default was 1492.

To find the correct MTU for your configuration you must run a simple DOS Ping test. You will simply send out ping requests and progressively lower your packet size until the packet no longer needs to be fragmented.

The command for this ping test is ping www.google.com -f -l 1492

•There is a single space between each command.

•"-l" is a lower case letter L, not the number one.

•The last four numbers (1492) are the test packet size.

Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header.

Remember: You must add 28 to your results from the ping test!

Good luck!

Here is a neat little DNS Benchmarking tool to compare the speeds of different DNS servers from your location.

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

The program downloaded is small, only 154KB. Download it to our Windows Desktop and run it. The program has a bunch of DNS servers already loaded for benchmarking. It takes about 5-10 minutes to run the complete benchmarch against the various DNS servers loaded, which include Google DNS and OpenDNS. But during the benchmarch it shows real time results. Excluding my ISP's DNS server which has problems in finding some websites and which I added to the benchmark test, my running of the test resulted in Google DNS as the clear speed winner from my location here in Bangkok.

Edited by Pib

Here is a neat little DNS Benchmarking tool to compare the speeds of different DNS servers from your location.

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

The program downloaded is small, only 154KB. Download it to our Windows Desktop and run it. The program has a bunch of DNS servers already loaded for benchmarking. It takes about 5-10 minutes to run the complete benchmarch against the various DNS servers loaded, which include Google DNS and OpenDNS. But during the benchmarch it shows real time results. Excluding my ISP's DNS server which has problems in finding some websites and which I added to the benchmark test, my running of the test resulted in Google DNS as the clear speed winner from my location here in Bangkok.

Also check out namebench, a very similar Open Source Tool that uses your Firefox history to create the test data used in the benchmark.

If you are interested in discussing alternative DNS server, please join this thread (I know, Pib, you're already there :))

welo