Seeking Guidance About The "o-ti-me" Restaurant Above Central Department Store

Oneman

There's a fairly interesting read on page 18 of this months Citylife regarding mia nois etc.

Regarding oneman's post back to me above, 'just a shame I'm married' is supposed to be interpreted as ...

Personally, I wouldn't because I respect my wife too much but the thought's always nice.

Interesting post by the way oneman.

My wife's gone to the cinema today, guess I'll have to leave any voyeuring until another day!

Regards Bojo

My Thai mentor friend once said to me that you can get laid pretty much anywhere in Thailand. ... Just a shame I'm married.

Bojo --

Thai women, even if they are married, don't play by the same rules as we would expect from Western females.

Here is one example of how some Thai women think on this topic, which might apply to this thread topic.

In studying Thai language, I often ask my teacher (Thai woman, age 40+) for details and nuances on some of the vocabulary.

A recent discussion concerned:

"Mia-noi" -- minor wife or mistress

"Gik" -- casual sex partner

My questions brought one, very surprising answer:

"If I were married, and I have a "mia-noi", is that bad?

Teacher:
"Oh, yes, that would be bad."

"If I were married, and I have a "gik", is that bad?

Teacher:
"Oh, yes, that would be very bad."

"If I were married, and I go to "ahb-ohp-nuat" (soapy massage), is that bad."

Teacher:
"No, of course, not. How could that be bad?"

Really!?

Thai teacher is mature Thai woman, who has described herself as "conservative and traditional".

Yes, I know, not all Thai women think like that.

But thank goodness some Thai women do think like that.

how does it, or did it remain open.

It did occur to me that the restaurant might be the front door for "ahb-ohp-nuat", but I have no evidence for that.

The location is attached to a large hotel.

At least three other "ahb-ohp-nuat" in town are also attached to hotels, all of similar style and vintage to this one.

Perhaps this location, being within a shopping center, feels a need to be more discrete.

Wifey goes into Central Department Store shopping for shoes.

Hubby goes upstairs for "a beer and a sandwich and to watch the TV".

I am merely speculating now, but makes you wonder, eh?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Interesting thought. But wouldn't they have to be more obvious to make any money? I was there one time for lunch with a male friend and experienced what you described. Didn't think anything of it, but now after reading this thread, well, I think the place will become much busier. It will be interesting to see what occurs over the next few weeks.

My guess is that most of their customers are Asian and would "get it" right away.

After all, their big complaint about the part of the sex industry catering to farangs is that we have to be so obvious about it all. You have to hit us over the head with the Big Nasty before we are sure that it is there! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

My guess is that most of their customers are Asian and would "get it" right away.

After all, their big complaint about the part of the sex industry catering to farangs is that we have to be so obvious about it all. You have to hit us over the head with the Big Nasty before we are sure that it is there! :)

The explanation is simple - we didn't grow up with it (leastwise in the US we didn't).

But wouldn't they have to be more obvious to make any money?

Excellent question.

Answer: Not if the target market is Japanese/Korean.

And that neighborhood is home to a lot of Japanese and Koreans.

The Japanese here have amazingly detailed guidebooks (for men, anyway).

They list exact locations, prices, options.

Nothing like the random dust that blows up around many of the farang forums.

How do I know?

A few years ago, I exchanged Japanese-English lessons with a Japanese man working in Thailand.

We discussed such matters as men discuss.

It wouldn't even take a sign out front.

They can do good business just from a mention in the Japanese guidebooks.

In fact, browsing in those is how I have found some of my favourite "resources" here -- where the ads also have some English language.

That said, I have never seen this restaurant any Japanese guidebook in Chiangmai.

Maybe so, but I can't read Japanese.

That makes perfect sense, and is the best fit to the facts observed so far.

I've done the early "scouting" and submitted my reports here.

Now I'm waiting for other explorers -- not arm-chair tourists -- to send in any further reports.

Of course, silence from other explorers may also be interesting, eh?

And, as usual, I invite private messages or emails on delicate aspects of the topic.

A reminder that my speculation is just that; speculation.

May be nothing more than a mediocre restaurant, in a poor choice of location, just squeaking by until it can get out of its lease.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

But wouldn't they have to be more obvious to make any money?

Excellent question.

Answer: Not if the target market is Japanese/Korean.

And that neighborhood is home to a lot of Japanese and Koreans.

The Japanese here have amazingly detailed guidebooks (for men, anyway).

They list exact locations, prices, options.

Nothing like the random dust that blows up around many of the farang forums.

How do I know?

A few years ago, I exchanged Japanese-English lessons with a Japanese man working in Thailand.

We discussed such matters as men discuss.

It wouldn't even take a sign out front.

They can do good business just from a mention in the Japanese guidebooks.

In fact, browsing in those is how I have found some of my favourite "resources" here -- where the ads also have some English language.

That said, I have never seen this restaurant any Japanese guidebook in Chiangmai.

Maybe so, but I can't read Japanese.

That makes perfect sense, and is the best fit to the facts observed so far.

I've done the early "scouting" and submitted my reports here.

Now I'm waiting for other explorers -- not arm-chair tourists -- to send in any further reports.

Of course, silence from other explorers may also be interesting, eh?

And, as usual, I invite private messages or emails on delicate aspects of the topic.

A reminder that my speculation is just that; speculation.

May be nothing more than a mediocre restaurant, in a poor choice of location, just squeaking by until it can get out of its lease.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Very interesting thread Oneman. Thank you.