Seeking Guidance About The "o-ti-me" Restaurant Above Central Department Store

Oneman

Does anyone know the story at "O-Ti-Me" restaurant above Central Department Store in Chiangmai?

It is a situation which I've never encountered before.

Wondering if the girls who approach me there are simply "staff for rent", or is there something else going on behind the scenes.

This happened -- twice -- at that restaurant on the fourth floor of Central Department Store, "Gad-Suan-Gaeow" mall.

That's the same level as the cinema.

It is away from the main shopping area, so it takes a bit of effort to find it.

Once you get there, the menu offers Thai, Japanese, and European food.

There is no Karaoke, no bar, no coyote dancing, no chrome poles -- just the restaurant.

Up front is the smallest sushi counter I've ever seen, with the most dismal sushi I've ever seen.

I can't imagine Japanese going in for that.

Two times I've eaten there -- Thai food -- the food has been totally un-remarkable.

I can't imagine Thais going there to eat, either.

What's going on?

A normal waitress -- dressed in jeans and a t-shirt -- took my order and then disappeared in the direction of the kitchen.

Then a different girl approached my table: very attractive, very short skirt, very high heels, abundant makeup, and abundant smile.

At first, she looked like a "beer girl", but she wasn't wearing a beer girl uniform, and, anyway, I'd already ordered a fruit juice.

She simply walked up to my table, and stood there, making small talk about my reading material -- homework from my Thai language class.

We talked together in Thai.

She told me she was a uni student.

When my food arrived, she took it from the waitress and placed it on the table in front of me.

Then she walked away.

What was she about?

Exactly the same thing happened at that restaurant the only other time I've eaten there, but a different girl.

Again, tempting appearance and small talk.

In five years living in Thailand, I've never experienced anything like this in any other restaurant.

Both girls very attractive, in a professional sort of way.

Are these girls on the game?

Would it be appropriate to offer a ladies drink?

Or is there something more to this situation that I don't see?

Perhaps they are mamasans, making the first approach to introducing other girls, who are waiting behind some side door?

For reference, I look like a "long-stay" expat, not a tourist who is wanting to "party".

What's going on there?

Thank you for any guidance on this situation.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Does anyone know the story at "O-Ti-Me" restaurant above Central Department Store in Chiangmai?

It is a situation which I've never encountered before.

Wondering if the girls who approach me there are simply "staff for rent", or is there something else going on behind the scenes.

This happened -- twice -- at that restaurant on the fourth floor of Central Department Store, "Gad-Suan-Gaeow" mall.

That's the same level as the cinema.

It is away from the main shopping area, so it takes a bit of effort to find it.

Once you get there, the menu offers Thai, Japanese, and European food.

There is no Karaoke, no bar, no coyote dancing, no chrome poles -- just the restaurant.

Up front is the smallest sushi counter I've ever seen, with the most dismal sushi I've ever seen.

I can't imagine Japanese going in for that.

Two times I've eaten there -- Thai food -- the food has been totally un-remarkable.

I can't imagine Thais going there to eat, either.

What's going on?

A normal waitress -- dressed in jeans and a t-shirt -- took my order and then disappeared in the direction of the kitchen.

Then a different girl approached my table: very attractive, very short skirt, very high heels, abundant makeup, and abundant smile.

At first, she looked like a "beer girl", but she wasn't wearing a beer girl uniform, and, anyway, I'd already ordered a fruit juice.

She simply walked up to my table, and stood there, making small talk about my reading material -- homework from my Thai language class.

We talked together in Thai.

She told me she was a uni student.

When my food arrived, she took it from the waitress and placed it on the table in front of me.

Then she walked away.

What was she about?

Exactly the same thing happened at that restaurant the only other time I've eaten there, but a different girl.

Again, tempting appearance and small talk.

In five years living in Thailand, I've never experienced anything like this in any other restaurant.

Both girls very attractive, in a professional sort of way.

Are these girls on the game?

Would it be appropriate to offer a ladies drink?

Or is there something more to this situation that I don't see?

Perhaps they are mamasans, making the first approach to introducing other girls, who are waiting behind some side door?

For reference, I look like a "long-stay" expat, not a tourist who is wanting to "party".

What's going on there?

Thank you for any guidance on this situation.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Why not visit again today and see what happens when the half a dozen shifty looking expats who now share the restaurant with you get served :)

This is the restaurant with the balcony overlooking Huay Kaew Road. Right? Usually pretty empty.

I too have noticed a friendly, heavily made-up young lady in a very short dress serving customers, many of whom appear to be Korean gentleman.

I don't know the score at this place, but I take your point.

Following your post, it might get a bit busier :)

Regards

Why not visit again today and see what happens when the half a dozen shifty looking expats who now share the restaurant with you get served :D

Including me, if I have the time! :D

Hey Ulysses G, you busy for lunch? Just heard of an interesting place. :)

We may need reservations by now.

Edited by venturalaw

Not today. Another time. Ok? How about Monday?

If my aftershave works out, there won't be any staff on monday :)

If all it takes is your aftershave, then perhaps I should consider buying some stock in that company.

This is the restaurant with the balcony overlooking Huay Kaew Road. Right? Usually pretty empty.

...I don't know the score at this place, but I take your point. ... Following your post, it might get a bit busier :)

...Right, that's the place.

Very nice view -- the reason I was attracted.

Food is not delicious.

...And for one pretty face it is not worth going there.

There are so many places in town with better selections.

...I'm not promoting the place, just trying to figure it out.

In Thailand, so many things are not what they appear on the surface, eh?

Useful to learn and understand whenever we can.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

I've been here for nearly 20 years and have encountered similar situations on a regular base.

The only way to discover what's going on is to push the envelop a bit.

I remember a 5 star hotel coffee shop, a restaurant wagon (train ride Bkk-Chiang Mai) and a Bangkok shopping Mall restaurant: all with female staff intentionally crossing that thin line and definitely fishing for adventure.

Same can be said for quit a few department store employees, once you speak Thai, rather easy to make things happening.

Fun to 'play along' as it adds to the charm of 'boring' locations.

And during a next visit all factors may have changed and nothing happens anymore, these situations is a matter of being on the right place at the right moment: never suggest 'buddies' to go there and try to repeat a great experience...

Not sure it needs to be posted on a forum, which more or less destroys rare but unique situations...

Two observations, which apply as much to me as to anyone. 1) Men are generally very poor at reading women's intentions. 2) Thais are often amused and baffled by farang men's incompetence when it comes to flirtation. We tend to think too much, deliberate, analyze, wanting to understand the situation, environment, risks, costs, etc., rather than simply following our instincts and going with the spontaneity of the moment. So the question, "Is the girl available?" is a case in point. Ask her out and you'll have your answer. Alcohol helps.

Two observations, which apply as much to me as to anyone. 1) Men are generally very poor at reading women's intentions. 2) Thais are often amused and baffled by farang men's incompetence when it comes to flirtation. We tend to think too much, deliberate, analyze, wanting to understand the situation, environment, risks, costs, etc., rather than simply following our instincts and going with the spontaneity of the moment. So the question, "Is the girl available?" is a case in point. Ask her out and you'll have your answer. Alcohol helps.

I'll give my impression, which is almost certainly totally inept and quite probably also unfair.

I think the girl is a player. I was in a group of 3 western men and I definitely got the impression she would have preferred to have met each of us individually and dated all three of us simultaneously to improve her standard of living and also to join a no doubt long list of other foreign men "helping" her

But I may be wrong. Maybe she really is a sweet girl with no boyfriend who is very friendly to strange foreign men and speaks English very well entirely through her own studying.

This has happened to hubby a couple of times when he's gone to that place by himself. He doesn't know if the gals just want to flirt or practice their English or if they're fishing for more adventure. He did push the envelop a bit one time to test the waters. The girl said she was a student at Far Eastern Univ (near Airport Plaza) and wanted to met him outside the restaurant for a date. He pointed out that he was married and that I lived in Chiang Mai with him and all she said is "I don't see your wife now!" and continued to suggest a meeting. Both times he was dressed in nice slacks, a shirt with buttons and shoes. In other words, he looked more like a businessman than a 60-something retiree on a limited budget, which is what he is. I think he keeps going back because he likes the attention. I don't mind because he is just looking and only has a beer or two. My motto is "look all you want, but touching will get you into trouble!"

So it takes an older married man to inquire and get the information. Got to wonder why the others interested or confused did not inquire themselves. Something like the weenie thread where a simple inquiry was all that was required. God help those ladies now that the word is out.

I think the girl is a player.

Yes, that's my impression, too.

What puzzled me is she seemed to be "on the staff", but the only one.

There was no "line up" or "presentation" of various ladies, just the one.

As soon as the waitress had taken my order, and moved toward the kitchen, this girl appeared, almost from nowhere, as if she'd been waiting in the back, and came out "on que".

Exactly the same scenario, the previous time, with a different girl.

Cash wont just help. It will be required.

Clearly, "cm96" knows Thai ways very, very, well. :)

So how is this place an eye-opening, unusual 'find' ? I guess it's just unexpected in that location.

Good question.

Yes, unusual and unexpected in that location.

If Loi Kroh or Moonmuang Road, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

So why interested in this little situation?

I've learned that, in Thailand, the choicest items are not displayed openly.

The most interesting things are usually hidden and not easy to find.

Not trying to be too exotic here, but I think there is, metaphorically, a hidden door in that place.

This is the first of this type I've found, so I decided to ask here about others' experiences.

Now I'll be on watch for more, and will proceed cautiously, willing to make mistakes.

Not only is cash essential, but some fluency in Thai language will be, too.

Clearly, this is not a venue that caters to white men.

I've been here for nearly 20 years and have encountered similar situations on a regular base.

The only way to discover what's going on is to push the envelop a bit. ... And during a next visit all factors may have changed and nothing happens anymore, these situations is a matter of being on the right place at the right moment: never suggest 'buddies' to go there and try to repeat a great experience... Not sure it needs to be posted on a forum, which more or less destroys rare but unique situations...

Much good advice: Thank you, "whiteboy".

Now that I know what to look for, indeed, will "push the envelope".

I appreciate your caution about announcing details in a public forum.

So I'm always open to further discussion in private messages or email.

-- Oneman

My Thai mentor friend once said to me that you can get laid pretty much anywhere in Thailand.

As a man isn't it great living somewhere with the impression that every woman wants to shag you. Regardless of whether it's true or not or how much cash might be involved. Just marvellous. Just a shame I'm married.

regards Bojo

This has happened to hubby a couple of times when he's gone to that place by himself. He doesn't know if the gals just want to flirt or practice their English or if they're fishing for more adventure. He did push the envelop a bit one time to test the waters. The girl said she was a student at Far Eastern Univ (near Airport Plaza) and wanted to met him outside the restaurant for a date. He pointed out that he was married and that I lived in Chiang Mai with him and all she said is "I don't see your wife now!" and continued to suggest a meeting. Both times he was dressed in nice slacks, a shirt with buttons and shoes. In other words, he looked more like a businessman than a 60-something retiree on a limited budget, which is what he is. I think he keeps going back because he likes the attention. I don't mind because he is just looking and only has a beer or two. My motto is "look all you want, but touching will get you into trouble!"

Woh, cheeky bint!! On a few occasions even when my bf and i have been together, some girls (usually any beer girls if we are out eating, or occasionally a masseuse) have attempted to give the come on (flirtiness is one thing, part of the job really. Im talking about more than that). At times its kinda funny really and more than a touch pathetic. These girls have no class and any self-respecting man knows it. I guess many guys lap up any attention given to them, but some actually dont need every waif and stray to give them an ego boost. Yes, i know that sounds harsh, and although i understand about working girls, if she shows a lack of respect when a man is with his partner or has made it clear he isnt interested, has a wife/gf, etc, then i have no respect for her either. But anyway..off topic and a bit of a rant, sorry.

Anyway..I did once go into that place with my bf about a year ago, just to see what was there. We both agreed seemed a bit strange and boring, so went straight back out again. Hah...I did sort of wonder about it, cause always seemed to have no customers but yet still open. Cant imagine the rent is too cheap for there. The plot thickens :)

Anyway..I did once go into that place with my bf about a year ago, just to see what was there. We both agreed seemed a bit strange and boring, so went straight back out again. Hah...I did sort of wonder about it, cause always seemed to have no customers but yet still open. Cant imagine the rent is too cheap for there. The plot thickens :)

Good point - how does it, or did it remain open. I think with all of this hype it may start having a few more customers - at least for the time being.

This has happened to hubby a couple of times when he's gone to that place by himself... My motto is "look all you want, but touching will get you into trouble!"

I dare say that if more of us had wives as understanding as Nancy L., there would be a lot fewer broken marriages! thumbsup.gif

Crikey, nothing much new here...Chiangmai is loaded with students, bank tellers, shopkeepers, waitresses et al that are all on the 'look out' where you least expect it....you just need to be in the right place at the right time to witness it first hand......so they tell me. :)

My Thai mentor friend once said to me that you can get laid pretty much anywhere in Thailand. ... Just a shame I'm married.

Bojo --

Thai women, even if they are married, don't play by the same rules as we would expect from Western females.

Here is one example of how some Thai women think on this topic, which might apply to this thread topic.

In studying Thai language, I often ask my teacher (Thai woman, age 40+) for details and nuances on some of the vocabulary.

A recent discussion concerned:

"Mia-noi" -- minor wife or mistress

"Gik" -- casual sex partner

My questions brought one, very surprising answer:

"If I were married, and I have a "mia-noi", is that bad?

Teacher:
"Oh, yes, that would be bad."

"If I were married, and I have a "gik", is that bad?

Teacher:
"Oh, yes, that would be very bad."

"If I were married, and I go to "ahb-ohp-nuat" (soapy massage), is that bad."

Teacher:
"No, of course, not. How could that be bad?"

Really!?

Thai teacher is mature Thai woman, who has described herself as "conservative and traditional".

Yes, I know, not all Thai women think like that.

But thank goodness some Thai women do think like that.

how does it, or did it remain open.

It did occur to me that the restaurant might be the front door for "ahb-ohp-nuat", but I have no evidence for that.

The location is attached to a large hotel.

At least three other "ahb-ohp-nuat" in town are also attached to hotels, all of similar style and vintage to this one.

Perhaps this location, being within a shopping center, feels a need to be more discrete.

Wifey goes into Central Department Store shopping for shoes.

Hubby goes upstairs for "a beer and a sandwich and to watch the TV".

I am merely speculating now, but makes you wonder, eh?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman