Agree Or Disagree

ThaiBasil

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An expat is someone who will experience culture shock if they move back to their home country.

Spot on definition. And they are 'becoming' an expat when they stop comparing everything they experience to their home country.

As a Dept of State retiree who has lived in several countries all over the world

COMMENTS - -

Wow, Things sure have changed! In my 25+ years of living outside the USA, I have always found DoS employees to be the most insulated from the culture of the host country......clueless. One step down from a tourist.

Edited by Diablo Bob

Before the last tax rise a few months back, I was paying 93 Baht for 3 large Chang - now 101 Baht

I don't wear gold.

I'm not sure about the colours for the days of the week, something to do with superstition I think. I did know about blue for friday, but I've only really seen a lot of Friday blue shirts in the North. I also know about yellow for Monday. Yellow is the King's colour because he was born on a Monday, but Monday's colour was yellow long before he was born. I've no idea about the colours for the other days of the week.

Everything else you are spot on, so I guess I'm only 75% Expat?

An expat is someone who will experience culture shock if they move back to their home country.

This is a good one. This is a common problem amoung embassy staffers who live in many places overseas over many years. It is espcially a problem for their children who are supposed to be American, for example, but may have spent almost no time in America.

I think the test is extreme and a real expat does not "go native" in these ways. I am curious how one simply becomes a Thai if, for example, they have lived here a long time?

You always can tell us expats ,we are white as a sheet and never get a suntan ,tourists are all brown and go everywhere (even the supermarket) in shorts and a singlet.
I have to correct you, my wife is complaining me(the farang ) is more browner than she is :)

I'm quite happy being a 13 year veteran tourist. It couldn't be better and it always feels like coming home when I get off the flight at Chiang Mai airport.

Agree with that one Ian.

When thinking about it, it seems strange. But I really do feel this is my home now and long may it continue.

Hmmmmm ..... I guess people get stuck at the karaoke and the Thai gold. It's just that as soon as you buy a cd with Thai music, it has a video with text to sing along. It is not really whether you like karaoke or not. Probably should have rephrased that then.

If you live with a Thai family the last thing you want to do is buy Thai music cds, at least I sure don't want them around. I think buying Thai cds is more of a tourist thing because if you spend much time in Thai homes you get more than enough Thai music.

And regarding the gold: sooner or later you'll be offered a Thai Buddha which to wear around your neck, or sooner or later you'll wear a ring with your (Thai) partner, or just a wristband. But I guess its indeed a matter of taste too. I for instance wear a gold necklace with a Thai buddha offered to me by my gf father. So I'll wear it out of respect and also out of respect for the beuatiful religion (hope people will stay on-topic and not turn it into a topic about religion now).

I have several Buddha and Rama V amulets that have been given to me over the years, including a one ounce solid gold Buddha given to me by an old monk to protect me when I fly (he was concerned about terrorists blowing up my plane). Where I am from few men wear jewelry other than a few particular ethnicities (Greek, Itallian, Mexican). When I see a farang with Thai gold it usually screams to me "somebody trying to fit in" not someone who belongs. Although it does look natural for some guys, very few don't look silly.

Now that I agree with. :D

Been living here 6 years and quite tanned so obviously not an Ex-pat?? :)

1. I speak the language.

2. Yes

3. I like snake, I ate quite a bit of it while working in the Australian outback, frogs and snails are fine by me, and I quite like the native squirrel ( Galork )

4. Unfortunately yes, more than 5 Karoke CD's, more for the better half.

5. Yes I wear Thai gold.

6. I am nearly always the only Farang at any party or dinner.

7. I ate Bar B Q in Australia, I wouldn't bother in Thailand, due to the poorer quality of meat.

8. Chillies, well I won't go into that one.

9. Beer isn't my drink

10. I have not worn shoes on a day to day basis for about 40 years, hurts like hel_l when I have an occassion to pull out my one and only pair for something like a wedding or funeral. I would not be seen dead in slippers in any country in the world.

I might add that you know you are at home here when you walk 3 blocks to save 2 Baht on the price of something.

I disagree with this test.

The test does not distinguish between an expat and a tourist.

It's about distinguishing an aboriginized farang (AB) from a tourist farang.

A real expat is a different category, in between of the two above. I consider myself being a "real" expat. But after half a dozen years spent here, I only scored 1 out of 10

1) NO - I can't order a dish in Thai, except for tom yam kung and tom yam talay pet pet. Many expats stay in Bangkok where menu is available in English or with pictures.

2) YES - I know that the yellow/blue colours are related to the colours the HMKing/Queen flags, and are worn on the day they were born. Many tourists may know this from a country guide.

Well, but I also know why green Wednesday are not as popular, as pink Tuesdays, and the role of a fortuneteller in boosting the pink garment market.

3) NO - I've never tried bugs, etc., even once. Believe me, not many expats have. I would have tried though, if those were not stored under the sun, dust, exhaust gases and other stuff for weeks, or just had been fried in the oil, that had been used hundreds of times, and stored under the sun and other above conditions.

4) NO - I don't have any CD's with Thai karaoke music. Many expats spend their time playing golf with other expats, not drinking wisky at a party followed by karaoking

5) NO - I don't wear Thai gold. BTW, the first thing many tourists ladies do - go to a gems/ jewellery factory.

6) NO - I've never been the only farang at a party. This can be a common case for an AB married to a Thai. Not that much for many expats.

7) NO - I don't eat more barbequed food here than anywhere you've ever been, as I'am from a barbeque-loving society (that's individual, and therefore not indicative)

8) NO - More than one chilli pepper in my dish has never made me run to the toilet at all (that's also individual. some expats could easily lose to a mexican tourist)

9) NO - I have never been interested in local beer prices. Many tourist can remember 3x100 prices from their previous visits. Many expats enjoy imported wines available under duty-free entitlement and have no idea of the local alc prices.

10) NO - I have to wear shoes. Many tourists wear slippers only. Many expats need shoes to go to the office. Many AB don't.

Edited by Newbee

2) I memorized Monday to Thursday, and dressed accordingly for two years (many natives don't). Friday is Lanna shirt day; any color.

5) I've never worn necklaces - too gay.

6) I was the only farang on a huge campus for years.

7) I eat at KFC sometimes; lots of hamburgers, chocolate milk.

10) I've only worn shoes once in the last 4 years.

12) I learned how you pick up the best freelancers without paying the mammasan.

Friday is blue for the queen

Edited by caf

12) I learned how you pick up the best freelancers without paying the mammasan.

Um.. If they're freelancers then what's got a mamasan to do with anything? Noob! :D

Anyway, generally speaking I'd say that when you're an expat:

13) You're past any inclination to try to label foreigners in Thailand into categories. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not talking about the actual definition of tourist or expat here. Just for fun: if you have experienced (or are able to do) the following 10 things you are a real expat. If not you're still in the tourist category:

1) You can order a dish in Thai other than the most common dishes (:pad thai, sweet n sour, fried rice, etc)

2) You know why Thai people where yellow shirts on Monday and Light blue on Friday

3) You've tried the bugs, snake, frogs (or something alike) more than once

4) You have at least 5 CD's of Thai karaoke music

5) You wear Thai gold

6) More than once you were the only farang at a party

7) You eat more barbequed food here than anywhere you've ever been

8) More than one chilli pepper in your dish does not make you run to the toilet anymore

9) You've been here during the good old times: 3 big bottles of chang = 100 baht

10) There was a time you've not wore shoes for more than 2 months and went everywhere on slippers

again it is not too serious, just for fun. just motivate your answer: agree of disagree?

1. Not interested in Thai food. Much prefer European, Indian, Chinese or Mexican.

2. Who the <deleted>^k cares.

3. I've never been that pissed.

4. Your joking right.

5. Ditto

6. True.

7. No.

8. True.

9. Still can buy 3 x chang for 100 baht.

10.Use flip flops in the day, and leather footwear at night.

11.Don't use bar girls.

1. Not interested in Thai food. Much prefer European, Indian, Chinese or Mexican.

4. Your joking right.

5. Ditto

6. True.

7. No.

8. True.

11.Don't use bar girls.

So how long have you lived permanently in Thailand Costalot? With those answers you can't possibly be an Expat :)

To the OP, when are you going to let us know why people wearYellow on Monday and Blue on Friday? Is it just some superstitious belief? Lucky colour of the day?

Edited by loong

I must be an expat ,because when the wife and i walk around Pattaya no one tries to bother us ,the only indian suite seller to stop me in weeks just wanted to tell me how bad buisness was and when he asked who made my shirt and i told him the" lady round the corner from us " i thaught he was going to cry. :)

4. Your joking right.

5. Ditto

6. True.

7. No.

8. True.

11.Don't use bar girls.

So how long have you lived permanently in Thailand Costalot? With those answers you can't possibly be an Expat :)

To the OP, when are you going to let us know why people wearYellow on Monday and Blue on Friday? Is it just some superstitious belief? Lucky colour of the day?

Only 10 years.

Jeez guys, do some of you not take the blindest bit of notice of the country you are living in? and some of you don't seem to care either. Its your loss.

How on earth some of you don't know why people wear Yellow on a Monday and Blue on a Friday is beyond me. Try actually talking to some Thai people sometime, they don't bite you know.

Jeez guys, do some of you not take the blindest bit of notice of the country you are living in? and some of you don't seem to care either. Its your loss.

How on earth some of you don't know why people wear Yellow on a Monday and Blue on a Friday is beyond me. Try actually talking to some Thai people sometime, they don't bite you know.

Jeez, buffalobob, why don't you just tell us? :)

Go on, please enlighten me

Jeez, buffalobob, why don't you just tell us? :D

Go on, please enlighten me

Loong,it has something to do with Astrology,i find it interesting,so i was asking this question on the thread "custom beliefs" few days ago.

Actually i don't know "why" i should wear a colour instead of another,and i don't follow this tradition(and very few Thais do).Just asked my GF about,she knows about it,but she says most of the people don't know and don't care.Back to topic,i live in LOS 5 years now,don't feel like an expat so far. :)

I'd skip the beer chang bit. Go for 'if you can remember when Sangsong was called Sangtip :)

How about - if you can remember taking the klong taxi when there were three of them at the beginning of the klong on Samsen soi 1, Banglampuu

Edited by bungy007

I apologize if this is a repeat but... I think a better way to do this is to say, "you know your a newbie when: (here is my list)

-You think all the Thais are smiling because they like you.

-You think tuk tuks are fun.

-You tip a lot for everything (you are not a newbie when, upon seeing this tipping practice, you say to yourself, "he/she is ruining it for us."

-You walk along Silom or Sukhumvit in the middle of the afternoon with a can of Chang and a kit more appropriate for the sofa on Sunday.

-You think Chang and Singha taste good.

-You drink Sangsom by choice.

-You think the 23yo thai girl you just met loves you for your beautiful heart (you are 55, fat and are drunk 80% of the time.

-You pay for lady drinks every time you go out.

-You think you can make a killing at some business because you will introduce "western" style management.

-You think the ear-splitting volume levels at which Thais play music is fun.

-You answer the touts when they try to speak with you.

-You think RCA is a the name of an old electronics company.

-You've never eaten khao man gai on the corner of Petchburi and Rajdamri.

-You have no idea what sohm nam naa (สมน้ำน่า) means.

-You get up on the stage at _____ bar on Soi Cowboy, take off your shirt and dance around like an idiot thinking its cool.

-100 baht isn't enough for one meal, let alone a whole day of nourishment.

-You have never sat around with a bunch of friends and biatched about Thailand and Thai people (especially regarding logic).

-You think all Monks are saintly.

-You think a Thai girl cursing in English like a drunk sailor is cute.

-You don't know what your friend means when he says he got a freebie the other day.

-You have never had a physical altercation (non-sexual) with a ladyboy.

-You think the Bangkok Post and The Nation are good newspapers.

I'm sure there are a lot more but I think that's enough for now.

Been here 20ish years, so let's see:

1) You can order a dish in Thai other than the most common dishes (:pad thai, sweet n sour, fried rice, etc) - Yep.

2) You know why Thai people where yellow shirts on Monday and Light blue on Friday - Don't know about the light blue

3) You've tried the bugs, snake, frogs (or something alike) more than once - Yep

4) You have at least 5 CD's of Thai karaoke music - No, haha.

5) You wear Thai gold - Not really my style.

6) More than once you were the only farang at a party - Plenty of times.

7) You eat more barbequed food here than anywhere you've ever been - I prefer steak on my bbq :)

8) More than one chilli pepper in your dish does not make you run to the toilet anymore - True.

9) You've been here during the good old times: 3 big bottles of chang = 100 baht - I remember the Black Cat whiskey days from when I was younger. What happened to it?

10) There was a time you've not wore shoes for more than 2 months and went everywhere on slippers - No.

Additional ones:

11) You purposely give directions in English to a cab driver so you don't get into the 1,000,000th discussion about your life. (I realize it makes me sound rude, but sometimes I'm really not in the mood to chat, especially when taking multiple taxis a day).

12) You do small dip when walking between two people who are talking.

A real expat is a different category, in between of the two above. I consider myself being a "real" expat. But after half a dozen years spent here, I only scored 1 out of 10

1) NO - I can't order a dish in Thai, except for tom yam kung and tom yam talay pet pet. Many expats stay in Bangkok where menu is available in English or with pictures.

How someone could live in a country for half a dozen years and not even be able to order food is beyond belief. Simple curiosity and a desire to explore would take care of that in a few months for most people.

I swear, some people seem to take a perverse pride in being the most far removed from Thailand while living here.

Not talking about the actual definition of tourist or expat here. Just for fun: if you have experienced (or are able to do) the following 10 things you are a real expat. If not you're still in the tourist category:

1) You can order a dish in Thai other than the most common dishes (:pad thai, sweet n sour, fried rice, etc)

2) You know why Thai people where yellow shirts on Monday and Light blue on Friday

3) You've tried the bugs, snake, frogs (or something alike) more than once

4) You have at least 5 CD's of Thai karaoke music

5) You wear Thai gold

6) More than once you were the only farang at a party

7) You eat more barbequed food here than anywhere you've ever been

8) More than one chilli pepper in your dish does not make you run to the toilet anymore

9) You've been here during the good old times: 3 big bottles of chang = 100 baht

10) There was a time you've not wore shoes for more than 2 months and went everywhere on slippers

again it is not too serious, just for fun. just motivate your answer: agree of disagree?

#4 - How about being paid to be in one? My friends & relatives in England had a right laugh at it.

How someone could live in a country for half a dozen years and not even be able to order food is beyond belief. Simple curiosity and a desire to explore would take care of that in a few months for most people.

I swear, some people seem to take a perverse pride in being the most far removed from Thailand while living here.

I can order Thai food, I can't order food in Thai. I can cook more thai dishes than some of my Thai colleagues. But I don't care about their names in Thai language.

When I place orders, I am interested only in getting food done as soon as possible.

What curiosity are you talking about???

I come to a restaurant, I take a menu, I see two columns - smth like fried chicken with cashew nuts on one side and smth unreadable in thai characters on the other side.

Of course I can take time and ask about the names of dishes in thai. Of course it will make my food delayed at least by 15 min. Of course some of my kids will be sleeping by that time, others will be crying. No, it's not because they are starving, but because they had been sitting idle at the table (not easy to keep kids at the table even when food is there) while I was trying to satisfy my simple curiosity and a desire to explore.

Of course I can take thai lessons and study thai characters. But I would rather use that time to teach my kids literacy/numeracy.

I do understand however young and not so young men who can afford spending ten minutes before ordering food to build up their thai vocabulary - they may have noreasons to hurry. Also, that works like a good excuse to start talking to a nice waitress.