Engineering Jobs, Thailand

This forum is fantastic! What a find.

My question relates to expat employment in the oil and gas field as a chemical/process/project engineer. I've applied for a few roles, especially those at the refineries, but they all seem to require Thai citizenship. Where should I look?

Anyone here employed in a similar role within the industry? I'd like to hear from you.

My question relates to expat employment in the oil and gas field as a chemical/process/project engineer. I've applied for a few roles, especially those at the refineries, but they all seem to require Thai citizenship. Where should I look?

Anyone here employed in a similar role within the industry? I'd like to hear from you.

Suggest you contact Foster Wheeler, they have a big operation here in Thailand, mostly specific to oil and gas. A large percentage of their staff are foreigners who have some form of deep expertise.

Perhaps Foster Wheeler can also give you some more specific advice about other work opportunities in Thailand.

Suggest you do some research first and find the name of their GM and aim to talk specifically to him.

Why? Because a general call might well get transferred to a low level employee with an answer like 'no jobs at the moment', bye. I'm not saying this in respect of Foster Wheeler, just suggesting that it could be better to have a strategy of going direct to the top.

Do you have a good quality and well focused CV ready?

Suggest you contact Foster Wheeler, they have a big operation here in Thailand, mostly specific to oil and gas. A large percentage of their staff are foreigners who have some form of deep expertise.

Perhaps Foster Wheeler can also give you some more specific advice about other work opportunities in Thailand.

Suggest you do some research first and find the name of their GM and aim to talk specifically to him.

Why? Because a general call might well get transferred to a low level employee with an answer like 'no jobs at the moment', bye. I'm not saying this in respect of Foster Wheeler, just suggesting that it could be better to have a strategy of going direct to the top.

Do you have a good quality and well focused CV ready?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm really only still classified as a graduate with two years experience. I had some friends that went on to work with Schlumberger upon graduation in the UAE and Canada and I was hoping to do the same in Asia.

I do have a CV and cover letter ready, but I guess it is going to be a challenge getting a foot in the door with so little experience. Nothing to lose though, so may as well give it a go.

Edited by thailandfan

http://www.oilandgasjobsearch.com/default.aspx

Try this website and others of that ilk. Browse for `Employment agencies oil gas` and see what comes up.

I am a freelance draughtsman in the oil industry, working in Aberdeen, Scotland at the moment and have to tell you things are a bit iffy now, but hope things will pick up again soon.

Industry has finally cottoned on the the fact that many experienced guys are coming up for retirement soon and that will help you.

Best of luck in your search.

Shug

They require Thai citizenship because they are looking for Thai Nationals.

Why?...

Expected Thai salary, 20-30k bht per/mth

Expected Farang salary, 150-200k bht per/mth + expenses.

You need to look in Farang owned/run companies.

They require Thai citizenship because they are looking for Thai Nationals.

Why?...

You need to look in Farang owned/run companies.

Understandable, although I applied with Exxon Mobil.

http://www.oilandgasjobsearch.com/default.aspx

Try this website and others of that ilk. Browse for `Employment agencies oil gas` and see what comes up.

I am a freelance draughtsman in the oil industry, working in Aberdeen, Scotland at the moment and have to tell you things are a bit iffy now, but hope things will pick up again soon.

Industry has finally cottoned on the the fact that many experienced guys are coming up for retirement soon and that will help you.

Best of luck in your search.

Shug

Thanks mate, I'll give it a look.

Appreciate all the responses.

A couple of mates are in the same business and have worked in Thailand but now work in Africa & indonessia because the pay and conditions are way better in their fields - both just come back here to live and party inbetween contracts

My advice would be to email as many companies as possible, you never know what may come up. It really does not matter where you work if you are on 4 and 4 especially off-shore, you can always spend your leave time in Thailand. Right now though there is a push here for Thai nationals which you can understand.

The only openings really for foreigners are on a consultant basis of which you need experience.

Good luck

Ace

There's several interesting points here:

- To justify hiring a foreigner the company needs to claim that the foreigner has special expertise / experience. But don't let that be an instant roadblock.

Maybe in the experience you already have there is something related to some specific equipment, operational circumstances, etc., On top of this most employers would also be making an assessment of whether you are a creative / innovative, & reliable person. Think of specific points to raise if you do get a meeting, quote projects / especially quote project factors which were your specific responsibility. Don't rely on statements like "I'm a good team player!"

Keep in mind that in most oil & gas companies very high level skills / experience / latest state of the art hi tech and deep knowledge on how to use the hi-tech, specific experience in conversion from old to new technologies etc., to gain high value is lacking somewhat in Thai employees (not meant to be critical, just reality) therefore there are opportunities for foreigners. Most of the work performed by Foster Wheller (and there are several more similar consultancies) is on a project by project basic.

- QUOTEfrom another member: "They require Thai citizenship because they are looking for Thai Nationals.

Why?...

You need to look in Farang owned/run companies."

- There's another profile to consider. Foster Wheeler and similar consultancies might be interested to hire foreigners (with high level knowledge and experience) on a local contract.

'Local employee', for you, if the company is interested in this type of arrangement, would probably mean:

-- Company doesn't pay your international travel costs or holiday travel costs

-- Company doesn't pay your accommodation and utilities etc.

-- Company does pay health benefits

-- Company must still see you as a foreigner employee (but on a local contract) therefore company must still stay within set formulas of allowable numbers of foreigners compared to Thai employees.

-- Company would very likely do the work to get you a Work Permit (WP). (Note: WP is always specific to an employment contract, you cannot get a 'roving WP, it doesn't exist in the Thai WP system.)

-- To qualify for a WP your letter of offer of employmenet (contract) must state a salary which would be way above a typical Thai salary. (I'm not sure what the curent minimum salary for WP is, perhaps another member can advise on this point.)

-- Some companies are allowed to have foreign employees but on the basis that eventually Thai staff must take over the positions.

-- Local contract would in any event very probably be on a one year basis. (Note WP is only valid for one year but renewal is not that difficult.

-- Whether the company would actually pay you at an international salary level might be doubtful, but this is very much case by case.

Perhaps this is a structure which might interest you and might be tempting to the employer.

What I did suited me, may not suit others.

Work in the oil exploration business, same company past 14 years, now a tax exile after my UK marriage went down the tube

Company I work for had me in most parts of Northern Europe. Got sick of the cold and asked for a transfer out the Far East which was granted. Spend my leave in Thailand. Been doing this now for 6 years.

My advise is get a position with a Western company, offer yourself as willing to relocate.

Would not look inside Thailand, look at firms based in Singapore.

Best of luck

Don't think you will find many foreign oil and gas workers working in the kingdom for THB 200k per month.

Well he did day he's only got 2 years post qualification experience so that salary level would probably be OK.

Agree you won't get any experienced O&G people for that amount but then the companies wouldn't insult them by offering that sort of salary.

Recommend you get a job with a major Engineering and Construction company in your home country and then work real hard, get good experience and keep applying for any overseas assignment. Eventually you may get lucky and after several shithole assignments (where you will make a ton of money), you will get a good one such as Thailand.

Most of the other advice is worthless and is likely coming from people that don’t actually work in the business.

:)

TH

Edited by thaihome

Don't think you will find many foreign oil and gas workers working in the kingdom for THB 200k per month.

You are quite correct, most of the O&G guys in the Thai industry on starting pay of around 350-400k a month, average salary is around 500-650k month

Going to agree with Thaihome. there is a load of useless advice on this thread from people who havent got a clue what they are talking about...I work in the Thai O&G game

To the OP, To get a break in O&G anywhere in the world requires contacts, not what you know, but who you know..

Re Thailand...forget about it....you are about 5-7 years too late....Thailand is under going some serious nationalisation in the industry that number of experienced farangs is reducing by the year...

Not sure why everyone is talking about O&G in one breath and then talking about Foster Wheeler in another, FW are an EPC(I) type company (ie industrial Wh*re) not an O&G company... :)

Not sure why everyone is talking about O&G in one breath and then talking about Foster Wheeler in another, FW are an EPC(I) type company (ie industrial Wh*re) not an O&G company... :)

Most people confuse what you mean as pure O&G with petrochem.

FW are doing a lot of consultancy work for PTT at the moment and the only EPC work in Thailand they have is at Asia Industrial Estate.

Here you go, almost like they were talking directly to you...

'... always a new adventure'

TH

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go, almost like they were talking directly to you...

'... always a new adventure'

TH

Cheers thaihome.

There is still some work going on in Thailand both offshore and onshore but its all still a bit 'tumbleweedish', as with most things in the the O&G/Petrochem business its contacts you seem to need more than anything.

As mentioned above Foster Wheeler have some work on, so do CUEL and Worley but without you knowing anyone in there it may be difficult to get a foot in...but theres nothing lost in getting in touch directly.

You could always try googling these companies also:

PTTEP

Cuel

Worley Parsons

Clough

Pearl

Nucoastal

John Stamp

Ipedex

Fircroft

Brunel technical services

Singapore always has a lot of work on and if you can get past the cost of living its a good place for a short stint.

Best of luck, mines a San Mig lite if you get anywhere :)

There is still some work going on in Thailand both offshore and onshore but its all still a bit 'tumbleweedish', as with most things in the the O&G/Petrochem business its contacts you seem to need more than anything.

As mentioned above Foster Wheeler have some work on, so do CUEL and Worley but without you knowing anyone in there it may be difficult to get a foot in...but theres nothing lost in getting in touch directly.

You could always try googling these companies also:

PTTEP

Cuel

Worley Parsons

Clough

Pearl

Nucoastal

John Stamp

Ipedex

Fircroft

Brunel technical services

Singapore always has a lot of work on and if you can get past the cost of living its a good place for a short stint.

Best of luck, mines a San Mig lite if you get anywhere :)

Allow me to comment on some of the companies mentioned, as have direct knowlege of most of them:

PTTEP - Direct to no chance these days for a Farang, any work through an agency

CUEL - Amount of work is decreasing and they are laying Farangs off at the moment

Worley - petro-chem maybe, but for offshore work have kicked off just about every offshore job they have been involved with in Thailand

Clough- basically not operating in Thailand any more - yard in Sattahip area just about closed down

Pearl - again through an agency

Nucoastal - No info

John Stamp

Ipedex

Firecroft

Brunel

4 above are all agencies who recruit for some of the companies above, and bascially when a job comes up, the details are passed around people already working for them seconded to some of the companies mentioned above, so generally the job is filled before its made "public"

Not trying to p*ss on this guys parade just giving the reality....as metioned in a previous post, in the O&G game, if more to do with who you know as opposed to what you know. If the OP knows people in the abovementioned companies he may stand a chance, if he doesnt...dont hold your breath waiting for the phone to ring...