Fabrique - 300 Baht Entry Fee For Foreigners

ProdigalSon

Utter BS - you have avoided the point - you are talking 'down' to farangs (Errr you are one right?) and your attitude of 'pretending to be Thai' is pretty pathetic quite honestly... and:

1. no I would not but I live here and it is common practise for Thai's (and farangs) to take in bottles - when in Rome

2. no I don't - and don't here either

You display a contempt for farangs and an ambition to be a pseudo Thai - everyone should be treated equally - it's an obvious axiom

Take it easy on him, poor soul.

I already told him off and I think he got quite upset.

He even accused me of being a coward!! (irrational I know, but it shows his state of mind)

I feel guilty now.

Haha well I think you're being too kind saying 'irrational'... but we won't go there... I'm sure your guilt will last a nano-second when he replies again

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter BS - you have avoided the point - you are talking 'down' to farangs (Errr you are one right?) and your attitude of 'pretending to be Thai' is pretty pathetic quite honestly... and:

1. no I would not but I live here and it is common practise for Thai's (and farangs) to take in bottles - when in Rome

2. no I don't - and don't here either

You display a contempt for farangs and an ambition to be a pseudo Thai - everyone should be treated equally - it's an obvious axiom

Take it easy on him, poor soul.

I already told him off and I think he got quite upset.

He even accused me of being a coward!! (irrational I know, but it shows his state of mind)

I feel guilty now.

Haha well I think you're being too kind saying 'irrational'... but we won't go there... I'm sure your guilt will last a nano-second when he replies again

I think he got the point and he probably feels sorry now. He comes across as all hard and arrogant, but I bet he's more the sensitive type. I imagine he won't apologise (some people find it hard) but I'll take his silence as an apology anyway.  

Anyway, the kettles whistling - must go.

He hasn't replied to anyone as i understand it.

He apologised and said he would sort his people out. He has of course not done so. It's business as usual.

It's his business and if he wants to traet farangs badly then we vote with our feet. What is disingenuous is that he says he will stop it but does not. An owner not in real control

You don't really believe that was the owner replying do you?!!! :):D

It's the owner's email address

And the website checks out.

As a new poster when are you going to post something constructive.

He hasn't replied to anyone as i understand it.

He apologised and said he would sort his people out. He has of course not done so. It's business as usual.

It's his business and if he wants to traet farangs badly then we vote with our feet. What is disingenuous is that he says he will stop it but does not. An owner not in real control

You don't really believe that was the owner replying do you?!!! :):D

It's the owner's email address

And the website checks out.

As a new poster when are you going to post something constructive.

If that wasn't a spoof then all I can do is hold up my hands and say - guilty as charged. Sorry, but it was such a bad response I thought it was someone having a laugh. If it is for real .... that's scary.

As regards to my positivity - I sorted ALANT out as regards to the clarets, I pointed Banaaman in the right direction for sorting his Hard Drive problem I pointed out that business is picking up and I forgave Paagai for his rudeness to other Farangs - that's not a bad start is it?

Edited by muggins

Anyway, the kettles whistling - must go.

How quaint, one of those old fashioned cheap charlie kettles with a whistle :)

Nice to see that you've got your sense of humour back. 

All that 'looking down on other farangs' thing doesn't help does it? 

Try and keep positive, that's the important thing. All this calling everyone a 'cheap Charlie' will only make you worse.

And try to keep your pecker up.

The most interesting (revealing) statement was something along the lines of :

PAAGAI- "And the real point is they aren't discriminating against the colour of your skin, but against the stereotype they percieve goes with that skin colour. Show them you don't match that stereotype and you usually don't have to pay. Sweet" ....UM... :) ?

I'm not sure which Thailand you've been living in PAAGAI, but if you took a poll among Thais AND farangs, i'm pretty sure an overwhelming majority would

say that the stereotype of farangs is that 'they are all RICH'. ESPECIALLY amongst the 'pauper and modest Thais', of whom you claim to know so much about...

So how is proving that you ARE'NT RICH, going to get you past the cover charge??... :D

Do you just show up in tattered clothing and the Thais feel pity and usher you in??........ "Sweet"

I can totally understand a business needing to cover costs and I'm not opposed to cover charges in anyway. I just think it's handled in a idiotic way here sometimes. It would'nt take much brains/imagination to come up with solutions that would appease everyone. Some have been mentioned here, ID's?, how about different levels of cover charge? 50Bt minimum (If the ANYONE is'nt willing/cant pay this, does the club really want them in anyway?), 150Bt ticket (1 drink), 300Bt (2 drinks)...Instead of 'farang only cover' which just invites resentment.

• 2 months later...

Ive been going to fabrique countless times since it opened. i love the place. i exchanged going to mandalay over fabrique. last weekend my falang friend and i went there (both of us usually go to this place and was never charged ever )until last weekend. i was annoyed. im not thai but i can get away with my asian looks when it comes to club charges. so anyway i didnt want to spoil the night arguing over 300 baht entry fee so we paid 600. i kept talking in english so they realize i wasnt thai so they end up charging me.

i cooled down when i was inside and then i realize that the 600 B charge can be exchange wtih a bottle of vodka and top up around 100+ for the selling price of the bottle which was 700 something. paid for the mixers and ice..... so i guess its ok so i didnt really bother much anymore...it was fun anyway...end up finishing 2 bottles by 5 AM!

thai's are very modest and theres not so much hi-so bruhaha here in CM. If you complain about the 300 baht cover charge try going to the clubs in BKK like Bed Supperclub and the likes.... its 500 baht entry fee...

• 2 years later...

[reviving this old thread b/c the other thread got shut down]

Never thought about this - I just paid my 300 baht every time I went there. It's a drink coupon so you're out, what, 150 baht?

Mandagay was annoying I admit, but I learned a lesson in Thai there, so I am not complaining. I went there with Thai friends and was singled out as the only one having to pay. The door man wasn't particularly friendly either. That pissed me off a bit and I started making my case. Then one of the Thai guys I came with paid the 300 baht for me. Hmmm.... I guess the lesson learned is: If you have it, just pay up. Same goes for buying drinks, etc.

The most interesting (revealing) statement was something along the lines of :

PAAGAI- "And the real point is they aren't discriminating against the colour of your skin, but against the stereotype they percieve goes with that skin colour. Show them you don't match that stereotype and you usually don't have to pay. Sweet" ....UM... :) ?

I'm not sure which Thailand you've been living in PAAGAI, but if you took a poll among Thais AND farangs, i'm pretty sure an overwhelming majority would

say that the stereotype of farangs is that 'they are all RICH'. ESPECIALLY amongst the 'pauper and modest Thais', of whom you claim to know so much about...

Ever heard the term farang kee nok ?

Must have had to come from somewhere.

Never been to Fabrique, a couple of guys I know work there and tell me I wouldn't like it :D so many better places to go until dawn :D Apparently a hangout for the Karoke bar girls - not my thing :D

Go to Mandagay every so often, never paid to get in; always with a group of Thais and know several of the staff too. The owner's door policy is quite simple: they don't want the lone Farang wallflowers nursing their bottle of Heiniken while trying to hit on uninterested passing girls. Or even worse, those Farangs who are older than John Travolta but still think they can out do his performance in Saturday night Fever. Not pretty and you know who you are :D Backpakers are just trouble, and nurse the bottle of Heineken between several.........

Mandagay is a Thai place for Thai people, we need to respect that. Farangs who go with a group of Thais, stand respectfully round a table with bottles of whisky :D , don't grope the ladies, run a healthy Check Bin and understand what a tip is are always :) Sweet!

havent seen the "harlem shuffle" performed for awhile, i wouldnt be offended if i saw it, i would be pissing myself :D who knows, it could make a come back :D

reason for edit; just had to include video!!!! :P

This is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQWPgQMHhQ

Never been to Fabrique, a couple of guys I know work there and tell me I wouldn't like it :D so many better places to go until dawn :D Apparently a hangout for the Karoke bar girls - not my thing :D

Go to Mandagay every so often, never paid to get in; always with a group of Thais and know several of the staff too. The owner's door policy is quite simple: they don't want the lone Farang wallflowers nursing their bottle of Heiniken while trying to hit on uninterested passing girls. Or even worse, those Farangs who are older than John Travolta but still think they can out do his performance in Saturday night Fever. Not pretty and you know who you are :D Backpakers are just trouble, and nurse the bottle of Heineken between several.........

Mandagay is a Thai place for Thai people, we need to respect that. Farangs who go with a group of Thais, stand respectfully round a table with bottles of whisky :D , don't grope the ladies, run a healthy Check Bin and understand what a tip is are always :) Sweet!

havent seen the "harlem shuffle" performed for awhile, i wouldnt be offended if i saw it, i would be pissing myself :D who knows, it could make a come back :D

reason for edit; just had to include video!!!! :P

This is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xLQWPgQMHhQ

That was great BeeJu .... thanks for that ...... great way to start off the morning...

G

I agree that is sucks to have different pricing for farangs and locals. Yes there is a rationale for it, perhaps, but it still doesn't really make sense.

However, in my many years of happy living in Thailand, I've learned how to adapt and even find ways to make lemonade from the sour wedges that Thailand sometimes deals to the friendly foreigner.

These places are good for the occasional splurge. As a previous poster commented, once you start spreading some money around, you'll get VIP treatment. That's how Thais have a good time, and after all this is Thailand. So if you put a group of friends together, dress well, go in and pay the cover/vouchers buy a bottle of whiskey or two, smile and just have fun, you may end up making friends and having a good time.

I really don't see the problem. You pay 300 baht...and you get 300 baht credit towards drinks. So unless you're planning on not drinking...which if that's the case just go somewhere else....why is this an issue?

Sure! Racial discrimination is good for a society! And its ok for Thais to accept it. But how would you feel if it spread? Suddenly, you get in a taxi and there is a different fare rate based on your race. Then you go to the cinema and there are different ticket prices, heck, different area for seating. Then at the grocery store, added "race tax" on all your products.

Night clubs are different from Taxis. Some night clubs only let in the "right" people. Others "discriminate" based on dress. This one wants to keep the backpackers out, but does it in a nice way - if the backpacker buys 2 drinks, they can get in anyway. They don't need to do that for Thais, as Thai drinking habits in those places are quite different, they go in with a group, and order whiskey & sodas. They're not cheapskates when going out.

I have no issue with the 300 baht fee. Whatever. Infinity has no such policy, and neither do a bunch of other clubs in CM... just go to those if you can't deal with the 300 bht... a friend of mine even brought his own Whiskey to Infinity, Thai-country-style, and ordered only sodas and ice... amazing Thailand...

I have no issue with the 300 baht fee. Whatever. Infinity has no such policy, and neither do a bunch of other clubs in CM... just go to those if you can't deal with the 300 bht... a friend of mine even brought his own Whiskey to Infinity, Thai-country-style, and ordered only sodas and ice... amazing Thailand...

I'm pretty sure you can do that at most of the clubs around here, most of them charge you a couple hundred baht as an opening fee though. As far as i know fabrique is the only place that has a cover charge in chiang mai.......and really at least your not in japan paying 40 dollars to get into a club and not getting any drinks.

Find it odd, people complaining about having to pay to enter Fabrique. I've been there about 6 or 7 times. Sometimes I've entered alone and sometimes entered with a group. Never once have I been asked to pay to enter. Nor have I ever seen somebody being asked to pay. This policy, if it exists, definitely isn't being applied to all foreigners. Additionally, my few visits have been spread over a 3-4 year time span, so its not as if I am recognized as a regular or anything. Have I just been lucky??

Mandalay on the other hand, completely different story. I've gone there a couple times and both times they tried to charge me to enter. The last time I was with a bunch of my Thai friends and coworkers. All well-dressed network engineers and sales people. They tried to charge only me. My Thai coworkers told the door man that all approximately 10 of us were going to leave if they didn't let me in. The door man was fine with that. Very strange business model in my opinion. Would rather turn away a large group who had obviously came to drink and spend large amounts of money, rather than forgo the "farang entrance fee".

Anyway, I prefer to spend my hard earned baht in places that recognize and value me as a long term local customer. Places like Cafe Del Sol and bars in the "reggae area", such as Babylon and Roots. I enjoy being greeted when I walk in, extra-strong drink pours, and the occasional free drink/ complimentary shots. So if places like Manadalay really don't want my/ our business, it doesn't bother me in the least. There are plenty of places that do.

-Mestizo

I really don't see the problem. You pay 300 baht...and you get 300 baht credit towards drinks. So unless you're planning on not drinking...which if that's the case just go somewhere else....why is this an issue?

Judging by some of the sh*t spewed in the other thread, it seems to be an ego thing, i.e. How dare they charge ME when they are not charging THEM. How dare they think I am a tourist!

With the option of cloaking it as a "racist" issue.

I'd say the toilets in Fabrique are worth the 300B entrance fee alone. Very spacious, always soap and tissues there to wash your hands. Like my old Gran used to say, you can judge a place by its toilets.

Edited by keo

So you go to clubs for the toilet scene? Interesting. I always see some guys hanging out in there, not really sure what they are up to, nor do I want to find out. To each their own. I go for the music, atmosphere and the scenery, the scenery on the dance floor that is.

Hmm... me thinks Vibe doth protest too much. :whistling:

I can merely appreciate a decent toilet in a club. Actually a decent toilet anywhere in Thailand, for that matter.

Cloaking?? What does that even mean? This is not some online fantasy game that you play, its real life. Its racial discrimination plain and simple. What, never seen Asian backpackers? You think they would get charged? No, they would not. As I said, I was with a Canadian/ Japanese guy that they knew was not Thai, yet he did not get asked to pay.

cloak [verb trans] (figurative) hide, cover, or disguise (something) : the horror of war was cloaked in the trappings of chivalry.

Personally I wouldn't say it was racial discrimination. It's economics. That is it's justified in terms of profitability, before you ask.

There's two tier pricing all over Thailand, from tuk-tuks to temples. But obviously with you having been here so long, and married to a Thai, blah de blah, you never get gouged, do you? :lol:

Funny, I went to Fabrique with a Korean guy, and he had to pay.

If they straight up refused entry to caucasians, then it would be racial discrimination. See the difference? :jap:

On a similar side note, apparently in that Irish bar at the end of Khaosan Rd, have started charging the Africans to get in, in a bid to put them off. Why? Cause they sell drugs, piss the customers off, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Is that racist? No, it's called keep the d*ckheads out, keep the customers happy.

So you go to clubs for the toilet scene? Interesting. I always see some guys hanging out in there, not really sure what they are up to, nor do I want to find out. To each their own. I go for the music, atmosphere and the scenery, the scenery on the dance floor that is.

Hmm... me thinks Vibe doth protest too much. :whistling:

I can merely appreciate a decent toilet in a club. Actually a decent toilet anywhere in Thailand, for that matter.

Cloaking?? What does that even mean? This is not some online fantasy game that you play, its real life. Its racial discrimination plain and simple. What, never seen Asian backpackers? You think they would get charged? No, they would not. As I said, I was with a Canadian/ Japanese guy that they knew was not Thai, yet he did not get asked to pay.

cloak [verb trans] (figurative) hide, cover, or disguise (something) : the horror of war was cloaked in the trappings of chivalry.

Personally I wouldn't say it was racial discrimination. It's economics. That is it's justified in terms of profitability, before you ask.

There's two tier pricing all over Thailand, from tuk-tuks to temples. But obviously with you having been here so long, and married to a Thai, blah de blah, you never get gouged, do you? :lol:

Funny, I went to Fabrique with a Korean guy, and he had to pay.

If they straight up refused entry to caucasians, then it would be racial discrimination. See the difference? :jap:

On a similar side note, apparently in that Irish bar at the end of Khaosan Rd, have started charging the Africans to get in, in a bid to put them off. Why? Cause they sell drugs, piss the customers off, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Is that racist? No, it's called keep the d*ckheads out, keep the customers happy.

You are wrong on so many points I couldn't even begin to point them out. Nor would it be worth it.

Judging by some of the sh*t spewed in the other thread, it seems to be an ego thing, i.e. How dare they charge ME when they are not charging THEM. How dare they think I am a tourist!

With the option of cloaking it as a "racist" issue.

I'd say the toilets in Fabrique are worth the 300B entrance fee alone. Very spacious, always soap and tissues there to wash your hands. Like my old Gran used to say, you can judge a place by its toilets.

Its not an ego thing, but instead a moral issue. Do you know the difference?

As far as Mandaly goes, I have never been asked to pay there.

i'm assuming your white, considering i see very few black guys around chiang mai...and it's funny to me to see a white guy complaining about racial discrimination when we've opressed/murdered/raped/stole land etc of so many different cultures.

don't be a sore winner.

and it's funny to me to see a white guy complaining about racial discrimination when we've opressed/murdered/raped/stole land etc of so many different cultures.

I'm pretty sure that he did not do all this scurrilous white guy oppressing personally. :whistling:

Nothing like a good guilt trip.... B)

You are wrong on so many points I couldn't even begin to point them out. Nor would it be worth it.

Agreed. He has a dictionary to look up "cloaking", but chooses not to use it to understand the word discriminate.

You're the one who asked what it meant!

Anyway, for all my caucasians who are feeling racially discriminated against, humiliated, and are considering flying home to weep into their mother's bosom...

Wipe those tears away and thank yourself lucky that you're not an hispanic living in Alabama right now.

>>>here<<<

Sure! Racial discrimination is good for a society! And its ok for Thais to accept it. But how would you feel if it spread? Suddenly, you get in a taxi and there is a different fare rate based on your race. Then you go to the cinema and there are different ticket prices, heck, different area for seating. Then at the grocery store, added "race tax" on all your products.

Night clubs are different from Taxis. Some night clubs only let in the "right" people. Others "discriminate" based on dress. This one wants to keep the backpackers out, but does it in a nice way - if the backpacker buys 2 drinks, they can get in anyway. They don't need to do that for Thais, as Thai drinking habits in those places are quite different, they go in with a group, and order whiskey & sodas. They're not cheapskates when going out.

I was in a bar last week and I ordered a bottle of Johnnie Walker, the waiter announced it was too expensive in the bar, took 1000 baht from me, went to 7/11, purchased it, and brought me back the bottle and the full change.

I've seen it all now!! :crazy:

oh, oh, and i forgot to mention......I then had to pay a 100 baht fee for opening the bottle so all this running around saved me 40 baht. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I really think the sex trade has had such a negative impact on perceptions in both cultures.

Unfortunately, many Thais seem to think:

Any Thai girl with a foreigner is a hooker

The majority of foreigners are "farang kii nok" (bird shit) who are ignorant of Thai ways, drunks, fakes, or all of the above

Many foreigners on the other hand might view all Thai girls as potential sexual partners and even unknowingly treat them that way

The well is poisoned. I now live in another Asian country not famed for its sex trade, and it is possible to have just boy-meets-girl relationships.

Ya, I've been in Thai places that discouraged foreigners coming in and eyeing the college girls. I even tried to strike up a conversation with a few college gals and they were paranoid as hell -- one even told me her friends would think she was a bad girl, so forget it.

Who needs all the agro? Just stay away from those places.

Edited by chaoyang