American, Thai Couple Nabbed For Drugs

george

Could this be a setup by Police to defraud more foreigners I ask?

Can we trust Thai Police?

That's the problem.

The ones enforcing laws are untrustworthy. I don't believe a word they say.

I don't trust anyone, especially the police here.

I'm sure the story is 1/4 of the truth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this be a setup by Police to defraud more foreigners I ask?

Can we trust Thai Police?

That's the problem.

The ones enforcing laws are untrustworthy. I don't believe a word they say.

I don't trust anyone, especially the police here.

I'm sure the story is 1/4 of the truth.

There is reasonable doubt in any case brought by Thai Police.

I say they should walk and the Police get investigated.

• 1 month later...
If he is Canadian and not American , then he will be deported back to Canada to serve his sentance in a nice cell with TV , fridge etc .

Are there any Canadians in Jails here , I think Not.

If he is American he can kiss his McDonalds arse goodbye .

I trust there are Canadians doing their time in Thai prisons. Yes with good luck he will be deported back to Canada, after serving time in a Thai prison (usually 6-8 years)

if not sentenced to death!

Canadian or American? I guess you mean North ans not south America? Anyway, I don't think he is a Canadian, this since they are more honest than (north) Americans.

Canada and US are both North America. South America is south of North America. :)

American, Thai couple nabbed for drugs

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday arrested an American man and a Thai woman for alleged drug-trafficking. They confiscated narcotic substances and Bt1 million in cash.....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-12

Pattaya Daily News reported he is a Canadian national and no mention of any alias name. His age is also shown as 34 in that "paper"..

If he is Canadian and not American , then he will be deported back to Canada to serve his sentance in a nice cell with TV , fridge etc .

Are there any Canadians in Jails here , I think Not.

If he is American he can kiss his McDonalds arse goodbye .

I trust there are Canadians doing their time in Thai prisons. Yes with good luck he will be deported back to Canada, after serving time in a Thai prison (usually 6-8 years)

if not sentenced to death!

Canadian or American? I guess you mean North ans not south America? Anyway, I don't think he is a Canadian, this since they are more honest than (north) Americans.

Since the same poster(s) mention this, I will try to help out with an explanation to settle this for future posts and comprehension/understanding of conversational/international English:

When a region indicator is present, it is commonly known as a region (North, Central, South America). When "American" is used, this overwhelmingly accepted as short for a citizen of the United States of America (since America is in its name). World leaders and citizens alike use this term overwhelmingly. For generations this has been acceptable in international conversational English, however dictionaries have 4 definitions including this mentioned for "American".

How one would know if it will become accepted just like Doeth and Hath and playeth have been removed; take a poll or read context, then do the same and go back generations. For me, the country was the common term, so it was easy to understand American also referred to a country. Conversations change dialects and eventually new languages (I'm just hoping "My Bad" doesn't make it anywhere)! Given our electronic age, it's more likely to keep international dialects more similar as evidenced by old British terms being dropped in favor of American one's and American terms being dropped in favor of Chinese, etc and on and on and on (in 1930 the word Okay didn't exist). I would think the increase in international communication will bring our different terms closer to the same versus 150 years ago.

I'd say all here know what an American is and what a Canadian is (common thread; country) and what a North American or someone from the Americas are.

In Thai, it's "Amedicaan/Amedicaa" USA & citizen and North American is tá-wêep à-may-rí-gaa nĕua (region of N. America) or tá-wêep à-may-rí-gaa (region of America). This is always clear to me. It seems those who have an ongoing misunderstanding may look at the context to better understand. English makes no sense; I'll be the first to say it. It's bastardazation of many European dialects and doens't follow consistent rules like Latin languages do. It makes it difficult for native tongues to understand and decipher at times.

Having said that, it's too bad Thailand doesn't focus on the cause of the drug trade and treat that-the war on drugs is a war on lives. There's 0 evidence the war on drugs does anything but turn citizens against themselves and destroy entire families and kill any potential for a tax paying citizen. The US has the largest imprisoned population in the world...nearly 1/4 of all improsoned on earth are in the USA. It's all about money and votes, not lives.

lls. This is why the books are often different than the spoken word then the books slowly evolve a few generations later.

Sorry to hear about your friends sbaker.

Only in Thailand...a handgun, magazine, and rounds placed inches from one suspect who is handcuffed only in front, the other not handcuffed at all!!! Law enforcement circa 1950's. I was waiting for him to make a grab for it and start wasting dudes. For THAT to happen would be very Thai! The fuc_king ego of these cops here in Thailand always doing the photo op after a big arrest. Guilty intill proven innocent, or else come up with a bigger bribe. Thailand: Unbelievable, but good for a laugh.

There is either a lot of sloppy reporting done in Thailand, or sloppy police work, or both.

Ya think?

I like how the cops treat this low life scum.