Michael Jackson's Ghost

OzMick

The lady friend comes home from work just as I am dozing off, climbs into bed (after a shower of course) and asks me "Are you scared?"

Half asleep, scared of what. "Michael Jackson's ghost". And she is dead serious (pardon the pun). Goes on with something about him being dead a week, and that's when ghosts come back, but for the life of me I can't understand why she thinks he'd haunt me.

The next day we try to sort this out. I deny the existence of ghosts (holy or not), but of course what can you expect from a stupid farang.

"Haven't you heard about the Song Thao driver near Phang Nga picked up a farang couple and a kid (maybe 2), and 5 minutes later when he looks in the mirror they are not there. Tsunami ghosts for sure". Try explaining the concept of an urban myth. Easier to say he's full of it, drunk or o/d on Red Bull.

Is it possible to convince a thai that this is all superstitious rubbish? If so how? I have to find out - I can't sleep expecting Michael to come through the (always locked) bedroom door.

Before someone asks, I am not a pre-pubescent blue-eyed blonde boy.

The lady friend comes home from work just as I am dozing off, climbs into bed (after a shower of course) and asks me "Are you scared?"

Half asleep, scared of what. "Michael Jackson's ghost". And she is dead serious (pardon the pun). Goes on with something about him being dead a week, and that's when ghosts come back, but for the life of me I can't understand why she thinks he'd haunt me.

The next day we try to sort this out. I deny the existence of ghosts (holy or not), but of course what can you expect from a stupid farang.

"Haven't you heard about the Song Thao driver near Phang Nga picked up a farang couple and a kid (maybe 2), and 5 minutes later when he looks in the mirror they are not there. Tsunami ghosts for sure". Try explaining the concept of an urban myth. Easier to say he's full of it, drunk or o/d on Red Bull.

Is it possible to convince a thai that this is all superstitious rubbish? If so how? I have to find out - I can't sleep expecting Michael to come through the (always locked) bedroom door.

Before someone asks, I am not a pre-pubescent blue-eyed blonde boy.

Its called animism, the belief in spirits/ghosts etc. It's an integral part of Thai culture. You may scoff, but think, do you walk under a ladder?, throw spilt salt over your shoulder?, beware of Friday 13th etc.

Put up with it, it may seem pretty harmles, but remember the Thais BELIVE in it.