Uk Visa Rejected.....how Long To Re-apply?

Hi all,

My thai g/f has just had an application for a UK 6mth holiday visa rejected.

The stated reasons for this were that she didn't show enough evidence of contact between us in the 7 months since we met even though I showed phone bills proving that I call her almost every day and a few e-mails that we have sent to each other. (only a few as her written english is not so good).

I am assuming that the problem is that the phone calls are only one-way ie. I call her but she vary rarely calls me(simply due to the fact that I can afford the calls more than she can).

Can anyone confirm that this to be the case?

Secondly, can anyone tell me if there is a time limit to when she can re-apply?

Many thanks

this seems to be a something that happens a number of times, my other half had exactly the same thing, a rejection for that reason and we live together in a house that we both have a "book" each for in joint ownership. Not only that we were taking her mother with us, her mothers visa was granted, my other half did not get hers. appeals take for ever with no date given and are heard in the uk so they are very difficult so apply again and sorry to say, pay again, emphasise the phone bills and offer to discuss with them (as I bet they didnt call you or your partner). there is no limit that i am aware of.

we did this and my other half received a phone call asking her to go to the embassay within 24 hours of her going to have her biometrics and form submission done.

Yes you can apply straight away but you must address the concerns of the ECO in the rejection letter.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for some girls to have one or two boyfriends on the go and as the calls seem to have been one way it might have caused some concerns from the ECO, I am not suggesting for one moment that your girlfriend falls into this category. When she reapplies she needs to address this concern explaining the fact that you call because you can afford to and of course it's cheaper to call from the UK.

Telephone conversations are not the be all and end all, the strength and length of you relationship is important, I have to say that knowing her for seven months is a tad on the low side, but others will say their girlfriends have been granted visas for a shorter relationship. During your visits have you travelled around Thailand or even better overseas, if so give copies of any photos.

You say your girlfriend applied for a six month visa, yes that is the minimum visa but how long was the visit? anything longer than a couple of weeks will start alarm bells ringing, did you explain the purpose of the visit and supply her intended itinerary?

The other important thing to address are strong reasons to return, studies, employment and the ownership of land or property, compelling reasons to return, with evidence, could outweigh the lack of evidence of strength of your relationship.

In short you can apply again but unless she presents a stronger case I fear the result will be the same.

Yes you can apply straight away but you must address the concerns of the ECO in the rejection letter.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for some girls to have one or two boyfriends on the go and as the calls seem to have been one way it might have caused some concerns from the ECO, I am not suggesting for one moment that your girlfriend falls into this category. When she reapplies she needs to address this concern explaining the fact that you call because you can afford to and of course it's cheaper to call from the UK.

Telephone conversations are not the be all and end all, the strength and length of you relationship is important, I have to say that knowing her for seven months is a tad on the low side, but others will say their girlfriends have been granted visas for a shorter relationship. During your visits have you travelled around Thailand or even better overseas, if so give copies of any photos.

?

When we appled for the wifes settlement visa, we used my mobile bills as the only proof of communication between us, and her visa was issued without any further proof being requested.

What I did do was highlight every phonecall via an access number and every sms sent on the bills

and of course it's cheaper to call from the UK.

eh ? I never phoned the wife when I was in the UK because it was only 7 baht a minute for her to phone me.

I found it was as cheap UK to Thailand, using contract minutes on my mobile via an access number in the UK @ 1p per minute.

and of course it's cheaper to call from the UK.

eh ? I never phoned the wife when I was in the UK because it was only 7 baht a minute for her to phone me.

£1 = 55baht. 7 baht roughly 13p. Most calls to Thailand through an access number are 1p per minute.

You say your girlfriend applied for a six month visa, yes that is the minimum visa but how long was the visit? anything longer than a couple of weeks will start alarm bells ringing, did you explain the purpose of the visit and supply her intended itinerary?

The other important thing to address are strong reasons to return, studies, employment and the ownership of land or property, compelling reasons to return, with evidence, could outweigh the lack of evidence of strength of your relationship.

In short you can apply again but unless she presents a stronger case I fear the result will be the same.

Not neccasarily correct. For my (now) wifes first visit visa we said she would be in the UK for three months. I explained fully in my sponsors letter the reasons for the planned length of stay and her visa was granted within four days (her second visa was for two months).

If the only reason for refusal was 'evidence of contact between you' then that is all you need to address, you don't need to change any other part of the application as the ECO must have been happy with everything else otherwise he would have added the other bits he wasn't happy with to the reasons for refusal.

You can apply again straight away if you think you can address the reason for refusal.

Not neccasarily correct. For my (now) wifes first visit visa we said she would be in the UK for three months. I explained fully in my sponsors letter the reasons for the planned length of stay and her visa was granted within four days (her second visa was for two months).

Actually it is correct, whilst I don't know how long the OP's girlfriend had hoped to be in the UK, if it's longer than might be considered normal for a holiday, alarm bells would start ringing, I didn't say, or suggest that it wouldn't be granted, but you need to explain any unusually long holiday.

You obviously realised this when you sponsored your then girl friend and explained the reasons in your covering letter. I did the same recently for my girlfriend who is going to the UK for a couple of months, and her visa, her first, was issued.

But you are quite right that the issues raised by the ECO when turning down the application need to be addressed or I fear the result would be the same.

Thanks for the advice guys,

We've decided to wait a couple of months before re-applying thus giving us time to collate more evidence of calls and e-mails and I'll also give them a letter explaining why the communication was "one way" until now.

Thanks Again.

Hi all,

The stated reasons for this were that she didn't show enough evidence of contact between us in the 7 months since we met even though I showed phone bills proving that I call her almost every day and a few e-mails that we have sent to each other. (only a few as her written english is not so good).

I am assuming that the problem is that the phone calls are only one-way ie. I call her but she vary rarely calls me(simply due to the fact that I can afford the calls more than she can).

Many thanks

Hi all,

I have a similar issue and have just joined the forum this morning in an attempt to glean whatever information I can before I lodge my appeal.

I've known my Thai girlfriend for almost two years now and have been over to see her on 5 seperate occassions each for around a month period. We've travelled fairly extensively in Northern Thailand and I figured it was time for her to come over to meet my family and friends. This is a serious relationship and I'm sure she doesn't have several boyfriends on the go as I've seen suggested in this topic string!

I could go into details of the refusal but these are fairly boring, needless to say we've been messed about something aweful during which time she has made 3x long arduos trips to Regents House.

Anyways after a ludicrous 9 week period the visa was refused. During this time I emailed several times which ultimately resulted in an email stating if I carried on asking for information on progress our application would take longer ie. go to the bottom of the pile!!! Problem was her departure date was looming and the flights were getting much more expensive.

The refusal cirted several reasons one of which was this contact thing. I speak to her almost everyday on my mobile for next to nothing using a UK contact number. She has called me on occassion but this is much more expensive hence makes little sense. I supplied a handful of the cards with the number on but have no documented proof of calls as I don't receive itemised bills from my mobile providor.

Another cited reason for refusal is the fact she has never made a comparable trip. Surely chicken and egg scenario!! Also she has lost her previous passport. Not a sensible thing to do but nevertheless a fact. I did the same thing myself some years ago trying to get out of Glasgow airport!

Basically there is a strong suggestion that she won't return to Thailand once in the UK but this is nonsense. She's not going to be impressed with the UK in the autumn as she moans something awful when the temperature drops below 20 degrees!!

I could go on but basically a load of BS.

What I am looking for is ANY help anyone can provide to build a case against this refusal. I have already been told that appeals are long winded hence intend submitting a new application when I'm back over there in Thailand. BUT I feel strongly against this decision and fully intend to appeal. In actual fact having already spoken to a couple of guys in the same position I'm angry.

I've also spoken to one of the Thai agents. He suggested an appeal was a waste of time as it takes too long (around 5 months) and GUARANTEED me a visa for the small fee of 35,000 Baht!!

So to start with is sending a strong message that I'm not happy with the decision and lodging an irate appeal a bad thing?

Any and all advise gratefully received.

Incidentally I hope it's ok me jumping in on this topic and trust I've not upset the original poster......

Kind Regards

Paul

Hi all,

I have a similar issue and have just joined the forum this morning in an attempt to glean whatever information I can before I lodge my appeal.

The refusal cirted several reasons one of which was this contact thing. I speak to her almost everyday on my mobile for next to nothing using a UK contact number. She has called me on occassion but this is much more expensive hence makes little sense. I supplied a handful of the cards with the number on but have no documented proof of calls as I don't receive itemised bills from my mobile providor.

Kind Regards

Paul

One piece of advice would be to get itemised bills for your mobile.

Hi all,

Kind Regards

Paul

One piece of advice would be to get itemised bills for your mobile.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Hi all,

I've known my Thai girlfriend for almost two years now and have been over to see her on 5 seperate occassions each for around a month period. We've travelled fairly extensively in Northern Thailand and I figured it was time for her to come over to meet my family and friends. This is a serious relationship and I'm sure she doesn't have several boyfriends on the go as I've seen suggested in this topic string!

I could go into details of the refusal but these are fairly boring, needless to say we've been messed about something aweful during which time she has made 3x long arduos trips to Regents House.

Anyways after a ludicrous 9 week period the visa was refused. During this time I emailed several times which ultimately resulted in an email stating if I carried on asking for information on progress our application would take longer ie. go to the bottom of the pile!!! Problem was her departure date was looming and the flights were getting much more expensive.

Another cited reason for refusal is the fact she has never made a comparable trip. Surely chicken and egg scenario!! Also she has lost her previous passport. Not a sensible thing to do but nevertheless a fact. I did the same thing myself some years ago trying to get out of Glasgow airport!

Basically there is a strong suggestion that she won't return to Thailand once in the UK but this is nonsense. She's not going to be impressed with the UK in the autumn as she moans something awful when the temperature drops below 20 degrees!!

I could go on but basically a load of BS.

What I am looking for is ANY help anyone can provide to build a case against this refusal. I have already been told that appeals are long winded hence intend submitting a new application when I'm back over there in Thailand. BUT I feel strongly against this decision and fully intend to appeal. In actual fact having already spoken to a couple of guys in the same position I'm angry.

I've also spoken to one of the Thai agents. He suggested an appeal was a waste of time as it takes too long (around 5 months) and GUARANTEED me a visa for the small fee of 35,000 Baht!!

So to start with is sending a strong message that I'm not happy with the decision and lodging an irate appeal a bad thing?

Any and all advise gratefully received.

Incidentally I hope it's ok me jumping in on this topic and trust I've not upset the original poster......

Kind Regards

Paul

hello there paul

im no expert on visas,but me and my mrs did apply (and granted) late last year for avisit visa.first one.

if i was you i wouldnt go down the appeal route, as you say would take to long.

my mrs had the same problam,with the loss of her first passport,what we did was to go to the local police station and

report this as lost,and they gave us apolice report,we needed this also for the issue of her new passport,and the passport office

gave it back to us after inspecting this report (handy) and issued the new pp.

then when we applied for the vv we submitted this police report along with the application,because it asks you on the form if this is

your1st pp or not and were are your previous pp.

im sure this was crucial info for the eco because when we recieved the appliction back this was kept by the eco for there records i suspect.

Also maybe another useful bit of info

when we recieved the new pp my mrs come on all my visa runs with me so therfore she got all relevant stamps in the pp,

it looks good for her to show that shes left her country and rtd within the visa issued,even if it was for 1 hour,we used to go cambodia

literaly in and out,

it will look better than putting a new pp in with no travel history.

i hope this helps you in some way

jp

The agent was in correct by saying that appeal in this case would be a waste of time because for a standard tourist visa there is no right of appeal, though if you thought, and could prove that the ECO has made a fundamental error the applicant could ask that the ECM review the decision, you would need pretty convincing evidence, for those with the right of appeal an appeal form is sent with with the refusal notice.

You are of course right in highlighting the guarantee from the agent, no agent can give you such a guarantee and is just a con.

Oldgit is spot on (which is not unusual) about the agent; avoid this one.

If you want professional advice then make sure that the agent is registered in the UK with the OISC.

Difficult to comment on the actual refusal without knowing exactly what the refusal notice says.

Oldgit is spot on (which is not unusual) about the agent; avoid this one.

If you want professional advice then make sure that the agent is registered in the UK with the OISC.

Difficult to comment on the actual refusal without knowing exactly what the refusal notice says.

It seems doing everything the legal way still doesnt get you into the uk, why not go to Calais and try to get yourself into a truck or get on a boat into the canary islands,once in there,s plenty of ways of getting a uk passport, unemployment money and free housing...

The common string running through this thread, shows that it's the 'assets' that the applicant can show at first appearance at the office, that make all the difference.

Although I've been residing in Thailand for nearly 4 years and married to Thai lady for over 4&1/2, when she visited me in the UK, she was simply my girlfriend.

I was expecting to be with her when she applied but had to cancel the trip, due to a sudden SNAFU dropping on my head.

So she went to Brit Emb. alone. I was worried since I'd known her for not much more than a year, but had only been together for 12 weeks, [ 3 visits of 4 weeks at a time.] And she was 25 yrs younger than me.

But she sailed through and received a 6 mth visa for a 4 week stay.

These are the 'qualifications' she was able to show;

Excellent command of written and spoken English.

Bankbook showing a fair amount.

Passport already used for holiday in Hong Kong.

Proof of buying a condo.

Employed as office manager with shipping co.

My UK address.

And last but not least; A fistfull of emails from me to her. She only had to show a couple.

Or maybe its just the way the dice rolls.

The common string running through this thread, shows that it's the 'assets' that the applicant can show at first appearance at the office, that make all the difference.

Not sure what you mean by 'assets' but yes, you are basically correct.

The ECO can only make a judgement based upon the evidence supplied by the applicant. If the applicant supplies enough evidence to show that, on the balance of probabilities, they meet the criteria for the visa applied for then they will get the visa; if they don't then they wont.

Of course, ECOs are capable of making mistakes, but another common theme in posts about refusals is that in the overwhelming majority of cases it was not that the applicant didn't qualify, but that they failed to show that they did. Refusals due to ECO error do happen, but are rare (I'm fully aware that this is no consolation to anyone who is the victim of such an error, But what is also shown by reading this forum, and others, is that when such errors do occur they are often overturned by the ECM.).

It seems doing everything the legal way still doesnt get you into the uk, why not go to Calais and try to get yourself into a truck or get on a boat into the canary islands,once in there,s plenty of ways of getting a uk passport, unemployment money and free housing...

Chances are that you will not make into the UK and if you do you certainly will not qualify for a UK passport and benefits, though you may get free accomodation whilst waiting for your return flight, care to check it out?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managing...removalcentres/

quote]

My girlfriend was declined due to insufficient data. She had already visited UK twice with no problems. We were actually shown a file that was considered acceptable...no, not the contents. The thickness. We were advised by an agent, not employed by us, to get letters of invitation, or hotel bookings, and photos of the people/ places to bulk out the file.

A conversation with a UK embassy senior administrator said dressing for the interview was important. Avoid anything creating anonymity (eg white shirt dark jacket is bad). The amazing advice was to apply for a longer period. It seems criminals want access at the lowest apparant cost. You have to distance yourself from this low cost, cheap and cheerful, economic with words and ideas presentation.....

The visa process is trying to eliminate organised crime and criminals don't bother so much with the flavours of authenticity. Standard answers are a no-no.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Insisting on phone records is getting a bit out of date. What about people who use Skype? I use it all the time to call friends and relatives abroad, and it is free from PC to PC.

Does a Skype call log count as a phone record?

Insisting on phone records is getting a bit out of date. What about people who use Skype? I use it all the time to call friends and relatives abroad, and it is free from PC to PC.

If the basis of the application is a relationship with a British citizen/resident then the ECO will want to see evidence of that relationship, including evidence of regular contact.

This contact can be by phone, Skype, MSN messenger, e-mail or even cleft stick!

Evidence of contact is required as part of proof of existing relationship. As long as there is proof of contact, it shouldn't matter whether it is emails, itemised mobile bills, IM logs or Skype call logs.

Some advice here might be for guys to get their girls onto DTAC if they use PAYG mobile services. DTAC users can register online and you can see and print out as well as download the last 2 months worth of calls and SMS sent.

Thinking outside the box here, a guy could get a DTAC SIM, register it and have it enabled for roaming and take it back home with him. He can then call himself and he will generate a call history of a Thai mobile phoning his western number. She could of course do the same from Thailand. If he sorts out a Siam Commercial bank account, he can just load up the phone as and when on the net.

For his calls going out, then I suspect there would be no record as it would be through a cheap provider with only that access number as a reference.

hello there paul

im no expert on visas,but me and my mrs did apply (and granted) late last year for avisit visa.first one.

if i was you i wouldnt go down the appeal route, as you say would take to long.

my mrs had the same problam,with the loss of her first passport,what we did was to go to the local police station and report this as lost,and they gave us apolice report,we needed this also for the issue of her new passport,and the passport office gave it back to us after inspecting this report (handy) and issued the new pp.

then when we applied for the vv we submitted this police report along with the application,because it asks you on the form if this is your1st pp or not and were are your previous pp.

im sure this was crucial info for the eco because when we recieved the appliction back this was kept by the eco for there records i suspect.

Also maybe another useful bit of info

when we recieved the new pp my mrs come on all my visa runs with me so therfore she got all relevant stamps in the pp,

it looks good for her to show that shes left her country and rtd within the visa issued,even if it was for 1 hour,we used to go cambodia literaly in and out, it will look better than putting a new pp in with no travel history.

i hope this helps you in some way

jp

Many thanks for the advise.

Do you mind my asking when you say 'my mrs' are you married?

My girlfriend insists her passport is still 'somewhere' in the house (!) but despite several frantic attempts to locate it she hasn't managed to do so. She has however managed to acquire a new passport without any issues.

I totally agree about the latter part of your comments. The fact that they've left Thailand and actually returned there is considered an important criteria by the UK Border Agency in granting a Visa for the UK.

The annoying thing is she has travelled to Vietnam and Combodia and her old passport would have reflected this hence it is indeed a sad loss.

Regards Paul

It would seem that this is at the particular ECO's discretion but is certainly another important criteria. Again a point was raised on our refusal as to why her intended length of stay was 6 weeks.

The minimum Visa has recently changed to 6 months hence it made sense at the time for her to come to the UK for a reasonable period of time hence the 6 weeks.

With hindsight I think it advisable to limit the proposed stay to 2 or 3 weeks for their first visit. Just to satisfy the bullshit criteria basically!!!!

If you state a 2 week stay and your beloved stays longer what would happen? Would the Border Agency pick up and this? Could this potentially result in a 'black mark' against their passport?

There was a piece on the news in the UK yesterday about how the Border Agencies are picking up a lot of 'baddies' (they quoted 4000) thanks to the stricter controls at the airports. One poor sod heading off on his honeymoon was arrested and banged up for failure to appear at court.

I think it's certainly true to state that there are also much tighter restrictions on granting Visas to the UK in recent months.

Regards Paul

The agent was in correct by saying that appeal in this case would be a waste of time because for a standard tourist visa there is no right of appeal, though if you thought, and could prove that the ECO has made a fundamental error the applicant could ask that the ECM review the decision, you would need pretty convincing evidence, for those with the right of appeal an appeal form is sent with with the refusal notice.

You are of course right in highlighting the guarantee from the agent, no agent can give you such a guarantee and is just a con.

One does have limited rights of appeal. I've not had much time to investigate (several sections of legal nonsense quoted on the refusal) but have spoken to a guy I met in Hua Hin who also got refused and it seems one can appeal on the grounds of racial discimination. He did this and they won the appeal but it took over 5 months to process.

I'm going to appeal as a matter of principal but we're going to put a new application in when I'm back over in Thailand in September.

Excellent command of written and spoken English.

Bankbook showing a fair amount.

Passport already used for holiday in Hong Kong.

Proof of buying a condo.

Employed as office manager with shipping co.

My UK address.

And last but not least; A fistfull of emails from me to her. She only had to show a couple.

Or maybe its just the way the dice rolls.

Again the above is valid information and should be noted.

It's certainly true to state that your intended should have a decent bank balance. Thinking about it rationally this makes sense in so much as they'll need to get home or potentially support themselves for a while should anything unforseen happen. For example you drop dead God forbid.

So if like my girlfriend yours is potless you'll have to give them a few quid before they make the journey. Around 50,000 Baht has been suggested to me.