" The Voice Of Thaksin " Magazine To Be Launched

sriracha john

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to the travelogue section of the magazine and eagerly anticipate reports from such exotic and highly desirable locations such as El Salvador, Botswana, and the Ivory Coast.

I'm not looking forward to the centrefold.

There might be 'HOT LYDIA' to attract those uninterested readers like you! :)

I was lucky enough to see a pre-production draft of the new magazine. I only got to see the cover, but it looks like some effort and research has gone into it, judging by the articles advertised on it:

POLL: One million respondents would lie down and let Thaksin walk all over them!

FASHION: Red is the new red!

BEAUTY: Achieve that square faced look using simple household tools!

TRAVEL: Fun filled destinations in Central Africa!

TESTED: LPG tankers – the best bang for your baht!

MY WAY: How a simple police colonel with nothing became Thailand’s richest man, using only corruption, nepotism, murder and unethical business practices.

REVOLUTION: Bring the family along for this fun event!

THUGS: We interview a number of top Red shirt leaders and find out how mindless violence has changed their lives!

MORONS: Read this magazine and become one in one easy step!

They were also advertising for a pictures editor – must have experience with red airbrush and able to change dates on digital camera photos.

Normally I don't like to speculate but can we expect a circulation/distribution of 1.000.000 copies per issue?

I know we will not agree on Thaksin. At the very least, can we agree that one-person-one-vote electoral Democracy is under threat here in Thailand and is hanging in the balance?

Of course there should be one man one vote or even one woman one vote with the elction outcome repsected :)

There are also other things we should be able to agree on like innocence until proven guilty, rule of (fair) law, independent media, independent judiciary, right to free speech, right for anyone to campaign anywhere, freedom to travel etc etc

The report said that the registration fee is 200 baht for event participation, breakfast and a T-shirt, available at the 5th floor of Big C, Lat Phrao branch.

As I am getting older I am not sure I've got that last sentence right. Does it mean each participant is paid 200 Baht... or people must pay 200 Baht to participate?

That means the Reds members have to pay that amount into the Red Shirt Slush Fund for the privilege of running with Veera et al.

They're a bit pressed for dough now, what with

Thaksin's Ultimate Goal

starting tomorrow...

Edited by sriracha john

Ferwert has mentioned in a few posts the fact this government is going to change the constitution. Can I please remind you that it is Thaksin's PPP, TRT or whatever the hel_l they are called these days (and Newin's factoin) who were the ones pushing for the constitution change...that was one of the main gripes of the PAD against Samak and Somchai governments. Thaksin wants the constitution changed, mainly to lessen accountability burden on political parties because of politicians' shenanigans. And of couse to free up his 111 banned cronies.

Normally I don't like to speculate but can we expect a circulation/distribution of 1.000.000 copies per issue?

I know we will not agree on Thaksin. At the very least, can we agree that one-person-one-vote electoral Democracy is under threat here in Thailand and is hanging in the balance?

Afraid not. In the first place, 'one-person-one-vote' does not guarantee democracy. Democracy is not just elections (most especiallly not where individual votes, individual candidates, and even entire political parties can be bought by the super-rich), it's about governance following an election. Willingly accepting a coalition government without any regard for coalition partners, for example, is hardly democratic.

Microcosms speak volumes. Take your Tha Li immigration office experience for example, Ferwert, which was typical for a region that is the largest political base for the most corrupt PM Thailand has seen since Field Marshal Sarit.

And I don't think for a minute that the one man one vote is under threat here. So what if a few PAD members have mentioned it? Have you heard any positive feedback from the people, the media, or any group or persons of significance supporting this proposal? It was a silly proposal and doesn't hold water with anyone, so get over it.

And now, a magazine for Thaksin

Sutham said the red shirts and general public could acquire shares in the company that published the magazine at 1,000 Baht per share.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-15

Too expensive for toilet paper :)

Wow, You Farangs get all worked up about a pro-Thaksin initiative. But I understand that it takes time to turn around the brainwashing that has been the product of three years plus, of anti-Thaksin demonization program in the only media you can read. Fortunately the Thai electorate have shown they are more astute, and that is all that matters. Brain-washed Farangs can blow-viate all they want, and I enjoy interacting with them via these posts. I am surprised however by their susceptibility to anti-democracy politics, considering the democratic traditions they have grown up with. By the way, this magazine was conceived and is being published by "friends of Thaksin", and is not an initiative of his. Publishers know the huge readership involved and it is good business.

It'll be hard for the Tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers and motorcycle riders to read on the run?? Maybe they'll have revealing shots of ex-wife in bikini?? All in red of course! :D

I'm looking forward to the travelogue section of the magazine and eagerly anticipate reports from such exotic and highly desirable locations such as El Salvador, Botswana, and the Ivory Coast.

Lovely, tres drole!

Are you serious?? There has never been a one person one vote democracy here...Democracy was imposed in 1932 by the elite for the elite!

Nothings has changed, nor will it until the people want it to change!

During an interview for the upcoming magazine Thaksin was asked what his favourite songs were and here are a couple he mentioned

Runaway

Livin On a prayer

I'm So Lonesome I could cry

Who Says You Can't Go Home

My Own Prison ( creed )

And the ever popular "I fought the law and the law won"

You forgot:

Speedy Gonzalas

It's Now Or Never

I Did It My Way

Money (P Floyd)

During an interview for the upcoming magazine Thaksin was asked what his favourite songs were and here are a couple he mentioned

Runaway

Livin On a prayer

My Own Prison ( creed )

You forgot:

Speedy Gonzalas

It's Now Or Never

I Did It My Way

Money (P Floyd)

I'd like to add:

Money (that's what I want) - (the Beatles version)

Edited by webfact

Of course there should be one man one vote or even one woman one vote with the elction outcome repsected :)

There are also other things we should be able to agree on like innocence until proven guilty, rule of (fair) law, independent media, independent judiciary, right to free speech, right for anyone to campaign anywhere, freedom to travel etc etc

I take that to be a yes - One-person-one-vote electoral democracy is hanging in the balance in Thailand. You make an excellent additional point - respect the .... results! Makes one wonder if it would be possible to achieve that agreement from all concerned prior to engaging in an election. Number one, at had better be a transparent election where it is clear the voters control the outcome, not the vote counters, with International Observers and media balance. The two sides (if in fact there are two sides) are quite clearly identified. It is generally known who the primary instigators and deep pockets are behind the anti-democratic PAD, and the pro-democracy Red Shirts also have clear leadership. As long as the military goes back to practicing border controls and preparing to defend the country against foreign invaders than it should be OK.

Runaway

Livin On a prayer

My Own Prison ( creed )

You forgot:

Speedy Gonzalas

It's Now Or Never

I Did It My Way

Money (P Floyd)

I'd like to add:

Money (that's what I want) - (the Beatles version)

"It's hip to be square" - Hughie Lewis

Ferwert has mentioned in a few posts the fact this government is going to change the constitution. Can I please remind you that it is Thaksin's PPP, TRT or whatever the hel_l they are called these days (and Newin's factoin) who were the ones pushing for the constitution change...that was one of the main gripes of the PAD against Samak and Somchai governments. Thaksin wants the constitution changed, mainly to lessen accountability burden on political parties because of politicians' shenanigans. And of couse to free up his 111 banned cronies.

Careful with the historical revisionism here. I have mentioned previously that the moment a Democratic Government (Samak) was re-elected, the coup/military inspired constitution should have been abrogated immediately. Only a Government with electoral, representational legitimacy has the right to tamper with constitutions - not the coup/military. Samak and Somchai had the electoral legitimacy to restore A democratically promulgated constitution. I fault them for their timidity in not doing so considering their clear electoral mandate.

I take that to be a yes - One-person-one-vote electoral democracy is hanging in the balance in Thailand. You make an excellent additional point - respect the .... results! Makes one wonder if it would be possible to achieve that agreement from all concerned prior to engaging in an election. Number one, at had better be a transparent election where it is clear the voters control the outcome, not the vote counters, with International Observers and media balance. The two sides (if in fact there are two sides) are quite clearly identified. It is generally known who the primary instigators and deep pockets are behind the anti-democratic PAD, and the pro-democracy Red Shirts also have clear leadership. As long as the military goes back to practicing border controls and preparing to defend the country against foreign invaders than it should be OK.

Well perhaps they should be giving some leadership advice to the political arm of their operations, Phua Thai.

PAD's New Politics hasn't had a mention for years by the way. Blatantly grasping at straws, which is great news.

Careful with the historical revisionism here. I have mentioned previously that the moment a Democratic Government (Samak) was re-elected, the coup/military inspired constitution should have been abrogated immediately. Only a Government with electoral, representational legitimacy has the right to tamper with constitutions - not the coup/military. Samak and Somchai had the electoral legitimacy to restore A democratically promulgated constitution. I fault them for their timidity in not doing so considering their clear electoral mandate.

That clear electoral mandate in the same elections that every current member of parliament, except for a few by-elections, was voted in on? That same parliament that has now voted Abhisit as its PM? What you are saying is: The elections were legal. The current members of parliament are all legal. A majority of those members have voted for Abhisit as PM. Therefore Abhisit is the legal PM. No amount of twisting and spinning can change these facts.

Afraid not. In the first place, 'one-person-one-vote' does not guarantee democracy. Democracy is not just elections (most especiallly not where individual votes, individual candidates, and even entire political parties can be bought by the super-rich), it's about governance following an election. Willingly accepting a coalition government without any regard for coalition partners, for example, is hardly democratic.

Microcosms speak volumes. Take your Tha Li immigration office experience for example, Ferwert, which was typical for a region that is the largest political base for the most corrupt PM Thailand has seen since Field Marshal Sarit.

I take that to be a 'no'....One-person-one-vote electoral democracy is not in peril. 1-1 so far. I agree Democracy is not perfect, but as the pundits always say, it is better than anything else. Democratic practices however, begin with how Governors are selected. Than other issues need to be addressed, hoping that Democratic maturity evolves. It is my belief that those who currently focus on all the weaknesses of Democracy, including some of the points you suggest, have a hidden agenda-----that is to do away with elections as we know them.

Like I said, we will never agree about Thaksin. I respectfully disagree with your points about Mr. Thaksin.

The question is, Who is going to read it???

Haven't seen many Thais reading a book, not even, a magazine!!!!!

May be it's better like that, or it can be used for hygenic purpoces in the toilet??

Not sure where you've been hanging out but huge numbers of Thais read magazines. Thai newspapers have huge circulation numbers as well.

Sorry, May be you are correct,but in the Ban Phai area that I live (near Khon Kaen) with approx. 400,000 inhabitants, there are only 2 bookshops and as I said before I haven't noticed people reading.

Again may be I am wrong.

Not sure of what quality the magazine will be. It just shows again that the way Thaksin was removed from power was absolutely unacceptable and damaging for the country. Thaksin-supporters still feel cheated and their voices and opinions remain unheard. Remember that the current government has never been elected!

Now Thailand has to deal with a Thaksin who seeks revenge and enjoys steering up trouble. Very damaging for the country indeed. And nobody from the current government or the so called “Thai military Elite” wants to take any responsibility for the mess they caused themselves!!!

Worth noting again.

Thaksin was removed as 'Care Taker Prime Minister', not as Elected Prime Minister.

He was a lame duck of his own making,

and thatposition shortly ending anyway in the next replacement election,

to replace the one his jail bound Election Commissioners screwed up to help him win it.

At the delayed next election HIS CREW won again, with Samak,

but their arrogance and lack of forethought was their undoing yet again.

Sorry these prats keep shooting their own feet.

AND Thaksin was convicted with the Democratically Elected Samak PPP Government in place.

The coup was all over and things had moved on. Disagreeable as that episode was.

This carping about him being removed as 'Prime Minister' is so much hot air and very sour grapes.

That clear electoral mandate in the same elections that every current member of parliament, except for a few by-elections, was voted in on? That same parliament that has now voted Abhisit as its PM? What you are saying is: The elections were legal. The current members of parliament are all legal. A majority of those members have voted for Abhisit as PM. Therefore Abhisit is the legal PM. No amount of twisting and spinning can change these facts.

Ditto.

Yep he caught you.

That they didn't try and do another complete constitutional drafting is their own fault.

That all PPP DID try to do was a re-write to get the 111 banned back in the game,

and Thaksin's every crime forgiven IN ADVANCE of court dates is also their fault.

Nothing in their agenda EVER addressed replacing that constitution,

they only talked about bringing the boss and his cronies back.

That PPP was disbanded for breaking electoral laws,

and viewing the Noppadom/Cambodia fiasco,

shows there were not even capable of putting forward a new constitution,

because they couldn't even understand their own jobs based on the

legal interpretation of the constitution they were elected under.

Samak didn't 'get it', and Somchai never even went there.

Yes, if they had the legal authority and mandate to put in a new constitution,

then they THEN and NOW have the authority to keep Abhisit and his coalition in as the legal government.

May be it's better like that, or it can be used for hygenic purpoces in the toilet??

Not sure where you've been hanging out but huge numbers of Thais read magazines. Thai newspapers have huge circulation numbers as well.

As someone who has worked in the thai media industry for the last 6 years I'd suggest that 'huge' circulation is a little strong

Thai Rath is the largest circulating newspaper title and with an estimated (Nielsen data) circulation figure of something around 1m and Daily News and Kom Chad Luke combined amounting to around the same, newspapers are not strongly read. Pass on readership (ie people reading copies brought or discarded by someone else) normally amounts to no more than 3.8 per issue so at most you are looking at 7.2m readers

That is a little over 10% of the kingdom reading a wrag (which is what they are) which, when compared to the average of most

Thais actually are not really big readers. Simple reason is the written thai word is frankly a pain in the proverbial to read on a leisure basis. They are superb at creating visual communications which is why they excel at visual advertising. Not many world-class thai copywriters...

Thai mags tend to be launched because daddy has some money and little johnny wants to launch something to make him feel important. Few actually gain any traction. There is a big contraction due in the thai mag market and it has been due for the last couple of years (actually most thai mags don't last beyond the 5th issue the turnover is that rapid)

As someone who has worked in the thai media industry for the last 6 years I'd suggest that 'huge' circulation is a little strong

Thai Rath is the largest circulating newspaper title and with an estimated (Nielsen data) circulation figure of something around 1m and Daily News and Kom Chad Luke combined amounting to around the same, newspapers are not strongly read. Pass on readership (ie people reading copies brought or discarded by someone else) normally amounts to no more than 3.8 per issue so at most you are looking at 7.2m readers

That is a little over 10% of the kingdom reading a wrag (which is what they are) which, when compared to the average of most

Thais actually are not really big readers. Simple reason is the written thai word is frankly a pain in the proverbial to read on a leisure basis. They are superb at creating visual communications which is why they excel at visual advertising. Not many world-class thai copywriters...

Thai mags tend to be launched because daddy has some money and little johnny wants to launch something to make him feel important. Few actually gain any traction. There is a big contraction due in the thai mag market and it has been due for the last couple of years (actually most thai mags don't last beyond the 5th issue the turnover is that rapid)

And don't get me started on the 'farang' / english mags here who profess min 45,000 copies! Chili, Bkk, etc, LOL!!!! :)

And don't get me started on the 'farang' / english mags here who profess min 45,000 copies! Chili, Bkk, etc, LOL!!!! :)

I can wholeheartedly agree. Distributed copies 45.000 - printed 5000... :D Have some personal experiences ...

Sutham said the red shirts and general public could acquire shares in the company that published the magazine at 1,000 Baht per share.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-15

Wow, You Farangs get all worked up about a pro-Thaksin initiative. But I understand that it takes time to turn around the brainwashing that has been the product of three years plus, of anti-Thaksin demonization program in the only media you can read. Fortunately the Thai electorate have shown they are more astute, and that is all that matters. Brain-washed Farangs can blow-viate all they want, and I enjoy interacting with them via these posts. I am surprised however by their susceptibility to anti-democracy politics, considering the democratic traditions they have grown up with. By the way, this magazine was conceived and is being published by "friends of Thaksin", and is not an initiative of his. Publishers know the huge readership involved and it is good business.

why do you think i'm a brain-washed farang :D

As you said, i'm a farang so somehow i am not allowed to participate in political

matters in Thailand.

So i have no interest in buying this kind of newspaper, it would be a waste of time for me.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-15

Actually, there will be 200 baht in the centerfold page for the first 10,000 readers.....

It's actually a simple equation:

A. Thais worship money

B. One loud-mouthed man is very rich

C. Thais don't care whether he became rich by devious means, it's the fact that he's rich that matters.

D. If/when Thaksin regains power, he will get a big portion of money 'unfrozen'

E. Thaksin will naturally reward those who supported him during his tough times away from Thailand.

Those rewards will be commensurate with individual's importance in the grand scheme of things. Those closest to T will get the most money and power, whereas those supporters who are furthest from him (namely voters in Issan), will get smaller amounts. However, even 500 baht is much appreciated to a poor person.

So the overall scenario is somewhat like the stock market or horse racing: You bet on a possible outcome, and hope for financial rewards later on.

It would be interesting to hear your response on the other features of democracy mentioned.