" The Voice Of Thaksin " Magazine To Be Launched

sriracha john

The question is, Who is going to read it???

Haven't seen many Thais reading a book, not even, a magazine!!!!!

May be it's better like that, or it can be used for hygenic purpoces in the toilet??

Not sure where you've been hanging out but huge numbers of Thais read magazines. Thai newspapers have huge circulation numbers as well.

As someone who has worked in the thai media industry for the last 6 years I'd suggest that 'huge' circulation is a little strong

Thai Rath is the largest circulating newspaper title and with an estimated (Nielsen data) circulation figure of something around 1m and Daily News and Kom Chad Luke combined amounting to around the same, newspapers are not strongly read. Pass on readership (ie people reading copies brought or discarded by someone else) normally amounts to no more than 3.8 per issue so at most you are looking at 7.2m readers

That is a little over 10% of the kingdom reading a wrag (which is what they are) which, when compared to the average of most

Thais actually are not really big readers. Simple reason is the written thai word is frankly a pain in the proverbial to read on a leisure basis. They are superb at creating visual communications which is why they excel at visual advertising. Not many world-class thai copywriters...

Thai mags tend to be launched because daddy has some money and little johnny wants to launch something to make him feel important. Few actually gain any traction. There is a big contraction due in the thai mag market and it has been due for the last couple of years (actually most thai mags don't last beyond the 5th issue the turnover is that rapid)

Thanks for the insight on the flightiness of the local rag market.

Very interesting. So who is the Thai Tina Brown?

Edited by animatic

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful with the historical revisionism here. I have mentioned previously that the moment a Democratic Government (Samak) was re-elected, the coup/military inspired constitution should have been abrogated immediately. Only a Government with electoral, representational legitimacy has the right to tamper with constitutions - not the coup/military. Samak and Somchai had the electoral legitimacy to restore A democratically promulgated constitution. I fault them for their timidity in not doing so considering their clear electoral mandate.

That clear electoral mandate in the same elections that every current member of parliament, except for a few by-elections, was voted in on? That same parliament that has now voted Abhisit as its PM? What you are saying is: The elections were legal. The current members of parliament are all legal. A majority of those members have voted for Abhisit as PM. Therefore Abhisit is the legal PM. No amount of twisting and spinning can change these facts.

It continues to be a source of amazement to me how Farangs who hail from countries' with mature electoral-based democracies will become apologists for the anti-democratic practices they witness here. The intellectually challenged dolts from the NE seem to have a better grasp on the "rightness" of representational Democracy than do some of the people on this board. I sure would like to see some of you so-called democracy-enlightened Farangs attend some of the events of the pro-democracy Red Shirts. You would be greeted warmly, not encounter militarized perimeters and be among a cross-section of Thai society with similar political pursuasion. This is especially true of those Farangs who so often parrot the English media negative agenized Red Shirt commentary.

It continues to be a source of amazement to me how Farangs who hail from countries' with mature electoral-based democracies will become apologists for the anti-democratic practices they witness here. The intellectually challenged dolts from the NE seem to have a better grasp on the "rightness" of representational Democracy than do some of the people on this board. I sure would like to see some of you so-called democracy-enlightened Farangs attend some of the events of the pro-democracy Red Shirts. You would be greeted warmly, not encounter militarized perimeters and be among a cross-section of Thai society with similar political pursuasion. This is especially true of those Farangs who so often parrot the English media negative agenized Red Shirt commentary.

I would be interested in seeing the pro-democracy red shirts, unfortunately, the only ones around are the "bring back Thaksin", the pro communist republic, and the homicidal thug, who have no interest in politics but love violence, ones. Again, unfortunately, I am uninterested in causing violence, killing innocents or threatening to destroy lives and homes, so I don't have anything in common with their leadership too. I'm sure I would be greeted warmly though, those LPG tankers put out a lot of heat.

For the slower witted members of the forum, I will repeat: Thailand is a parliamentary democracy (well, it's supposed to be, but in reality never has been). The people of the country elect the members of parliament. The parliament elects the PM. Got it?

Speaking of parrots, you may want to change the "english media brainwashing negative red shirt anti Thaksin" record. Basing an entire political ideology on it is causing it to wear a little thin.

Wow, You Farangs get all worked up about a pro-Thaksin initiative. But I understand that it takes time to turn around the brainwashing that has been the product of three years plus, of anti-Thaksin demonization program in the only media you can read. Fortunately the Thai electorate have shown they are more astute, and that is all that matters. Brain-washed Farangs can blow-viate all they want, and I enjoy interacting with them via these posts. I am surprised however by their susceptibility to anti-democracy politics, considering the democratic traditions they have grown up with. By the way, this magazine was conceived and is being published by "friends of Thaksin", and is not an initiative of his. Publishers know the huge readership involved and it is good business.

Anything involved with Thaksin involves a whole lot of money. If he wasn't shoveling money at everyone who doesn't hate him, he'd have no more supporters than the guy selling charcoal under the bridge.

Some article title suggestions;

HOW TO FLEE THAILAND ILLEGALLY

HOW TO SLOUGH RESPONSIBILITY

HOW TO AVOID PAYING CORPORATE TAXES

HOW TO PROMISE RICHES, BUT DELIVER NOTHING

HOW TO FOOL FOREIGN LEADERS IN TO THINKING YOU OFFICIALLY REPRESENT THAILAND

HOW TO CHEAT PEOPLE AND GET RICH

HOW TO ENDANGER YOUR CHILDREN BY USING THEM AS TAX SHELTERS

Thank you for that. Very creative, insightful and informative. You Farangs are fun.

Too bad all that intellectual energy was not available for all the Governments that preceded Thaksin and was not applied to the military regime when they and their friends realized they could never win an election.

On a more substantive note however, my major fear going forward, is that this Government will try to fiddle with constitutional and political reforms when they do not have either a mandate to do that, nor the electoral legitimacy. This is especially worrying when everyone knows that the next election will be their demise. Given that knowledge, can you imagine what they will try to do under the misdirected code-words of National reconciliation, political reform, etc. In the interests of fair-play however, should they win the next election, by all means they should wipe away the legacy of the military coup Government.

i start to wonder...

a) are you paid?

B) are you a troll?

c) are you sincerely deluded?

The gf says if there is 200 baht inside the magazine, she will go and buy many copies, as long as its less than 200 baht per copy. Otherwise she can't see any reason to pay for Taksins propaganda. :)

Reminds me of two Unilever reps I saw in Tescos the other day with a wad of buy one get one free vouchers for soap. They must of bought about 100 bars of soap (well 50). Now I know how they can soap in the street cheaper than in the shops! Most Thais are low on ethics and morals when it comes to making money and you can buy anyone if the price is right. Thats why 1 person 1 vote does not work here. Taksin was unbearable and a dictator when he was kicked out and you cannot say he got into power in a fair manner.

Edited by MaiChai

I would be interested in seeing the pro-democracy red shirts, unfortunately, the only ones around are the "bring back Thaksin", the pro communist republic, and the homicidal thug, who have no interest in politics but love violence, ones. Again, unfortunately, I am uninterested in causing violence, killing innocents or threatening to destroy lives and homes, so I don't have anything in common with their leadership too. I'm sure I would be greeted warmly though, those LPG tankers put out a lot of heat.

For the slower witted members of the forum, I will repeat: Thailand is a parliamentary democracy (well, it's supposed to be, but in reality never has been). The people of the country elect the members of parliament. The parliament elects the PM. Got it?

Speaking of parrots, you may want to change the "english media brainwashing negative red shirt anti Thaksin" record. Basing an entire political ideology on it is causing it to wear a little thin.

I don't think a true parliamentary democracy can come to Thailand without the use of some excess force. Thai people are 300% brainwashed into their own system. To get that out, who knows what it takes. :)

May be it's better like that, or it can be used for hygenic purpoces in the toilet??

Not sure where you've been hanging out but huge numbers of Thais read magazines. Thai newspapers have huge circulation numbers as well.

Sorry, May be you are correct,but in the Ban Phai area that I live (near Khon Kaen) with approx. 400,000 inhabitants, there are only 2 bookshops and as I said before I haven't noticed people reading.

Again may be I am wrong.

Data from the Economist Intelligence Unit indicate that Thais read daily newspapers at the rate of 65 readers per every 1,000 of the population aged 18 or older. (In contrast, Hong Kong voraciously leads the world in the rate of daily newspaper readership at 806 readers per 1,000 population.)

Actually, Thailand at only 65 daily newspaper readers per each 1,000 of the Thai population ranks 40th in the world. I take that as quite a statement about the rest of the world. However, most articles in Thai language newspapers have about as many words as there are in this post (equivalent). The standard writing level is at Prathom 6.

FYI, the UK ranks 8th in the world at the rate of 332 daily newspaper readers per 1,000 population.

The USA ranks 21st at 212 daily newspaper readers per 1,000 pop.

Canada ranks 27th at 159 per 1,000. Australia ranks 15th at 297 per.

The data pertain to having a printed newspaper in hand.

Edited by Publicus

So based on the readership of papers in Thailand, this magazine poses little threat to the establishment.

A couple of points, and they are insignificant, but one, it is a magazine and not a newspaper. I doubt that makes a big difference.

Secondly, if the information inside is read over the television or radio, then it WILL get a large audience.

As near as I can tell here in Thailand is that if you put anything on Television it will get viewed.

Sorry, May be you are correct,but in the Ban Phai area that I live (near Khon Kaen) with approx. 400,000 inhabitants, there are only 2 bookshops and as I said before I haven't noticed people reading.

Again may be I am wrong.

Data from the Economist Intelligence Unit indicate that Thais read daily newspapers at the rate of 65 readers per every 1,000 of the population aged 18 or older. (In contrast, Hong Kong voraciously leads the world in the rate of daily newspaper readership at 806 readers per 1,000 population.)

Actually, Thailand at only 65 daily newspaper readers per each 1,000 of the Thai population ranks 40th in the world. I take that as quite a statement about the rest of the world. However, most articles in Thai language newspapers have about as many words as there are in this post (equivalent). The standard writing level is at Prathom 6.

FYI, the UK ranks 8th in the world at the rate of 332 daily newspaper readers per 1,000 population.

Unfortunately, a picture speaks a thousand word.

Thaksin just want his pictures distributed into those households to remind them how square his face look and that LV wallet containing many thousand baht notes is ready to open any moment.

So, even many people 'don't read' , they can still flip those pages to look at pictures and photos.

Wonder who will be featured in the center spread. Mrs EX T or current Lydia? :)

Again may be I am wrong.

Do you read the Thai tabloids, The Daily News, Khao Sod or Thai Rath?

There's far more words than the British equivalent, the Sun or the Daily Mirror. Long passages on the previous day's political events as well as the standard murders and scandals. Business news and farming articles also have their own pages.

I'd argue the level of Thai is higher than Prathom 6, more like M3, and being tabloids they are aimed at the less educated populace.

So based on the readership of papers in Thailand, this magazine poses little threat to the establishment.

A couple of points, and they are insignificant, but one, it is a magazine and not a newspaper. I doubt that makes a big difference.

Secondly, if the information inside is read over the television or radio, then it WILL get a large audience.

As near as I can tell here in Thailand is that if you put anything on Television it will get viewed.

There was an article in the Nation - I dont have the link to hand as it is a few days old - that looked at the plethora of new magazines, papers hailing from within the red movement. It seems red analysts see it as a way diverse groups get out their individual messages that the red movement as a whole dont take up. One red analyst predicted they may start attsacking each other soon. VoT is just one of a fair few recent and upcoming start ups. They are maybe more about getting their individual messages out within the red community than shaking up the establishment

The ruthlessness of the individual behind all this,

holding this nation randomly hostage at will and as pleases,

trying to derail any progress for his very own sake,

is as awesome as it is breathtaking!

And that there are plenty of people willing to serve this mans ideas

and evil plans, just for the sake of money and power speaks volumes

about the dignity and ethics of these people!

It's all build on deceit, trickery and lies, lies, lies!

"if I can't make it, i'll brake it" concept....very, very sad...

this band of thugs has to be stopped!

Edited by Samuian

"Voice of Thaksin" on sale July 26

The first issue of a new twice-monthly political magazine, Voice of Thaksin, will hit the stands on July 26, the 60th birthday of Thaksin Shinawatra, it was announced on Monday.

Sutham Saengprathum, a former executive of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, denied the magazine was funded by the former prime minister. He said the money was raised from Thaksin's supporters.

The magazine will feature columns written by politicians and activists such as fugitive Jakrapob Penkair, Somyos Prueksakasemsuk, Jaran Ditha-apichai and Sunai Julapongsathorn, he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...on-sale-july-26

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-20

This post touches on more than one aspect of the Big Brother Speaks magazine (Crazy Uncle?!?).

First, did I miss any statement as to the price of the new piece of sh*te magazine? I dunno the price (not that I'm gonna buy it). I'm only wondering who can cough up to pay for some glossy and glitzy zine (if that's what it's going to be).

Obviously the Thaksin Gang is gonna have to keep the price low or not charge any price at all. Black and white pix are cheaper than color ones; quality of the paper etc.

I'd like to nominate the screwball former health minister Sudarat as the inaugural centerfold. That would guarantee few in their right mind would go near the thing :) . Actually, Sudarat should be the permanent centerfold coz we respect her for her mind.

And yeah, another point is that Thais--as with most people in most societies--get most of their news from TV, especially cable and/or radio. Some people get all of their news from TV or radio, or both. Also true for many years now in the UK, US etc.

So the press run of the zine might actually be very low for the reasons noted above, i.e., reds can read the rag on radio, show some visuals on TV and almost everyone would be exposed to it.

And lastly, I don't have any data concerning distribution of daily newspaper readership in Thailand, but I'd offer a fairly reasonable statement: Most daily newspaper readers in LOS would be clustered in several geographic areas, to include of course Bangkok along with CM, Pattaya, Phuket, Had Yai and perhaps one or two other areas.

I very much doubt that more than 20 per 1,000 in the North are daily newspaper readers. There are lots of TVs and radios up there tho.

Edited by Publicus

"Voice of Thaksin" on sale July 26

The first issue of a new twice-monthly political magazine, Voice of Thaksin, will hit the stands on July 26, the 60th birthday of Thaksin Shinawatra, it was announced on Monday.

Sutham Saengprathum, a former executive of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, denied the magazine was funded by the former prime minister. He said the money was raised from Thaksin's supporters.

The magazine will feature columns written by politicians and activists such as fugitive Jakrapob Penkair, Somyos Prueksakasemsuk, Jaran Ditha-apichai and Sunai Julapongsathorn, he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...on-sale-july-26

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-20

Gee these reds can't do anything peacefully. Even their magazine swings a punch. :)

1248086347.jpg

Red Shirts to launch 'Voice of Thaksin' magazine

BANGKOK, July 20 (TNA) - Leaders of the anti-government United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) said the group will launch a fortnightly magazine, the "Voice of Thaksin" on Sunday, to celebrate the 60th birthday of ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, while announcing that they have successfully gathered one million signatures as targeted to petition His Majesty the King to pardon the ex-premier.

The Chairman of the magazine’s Executive Committee, Sutham Saengprathum, a former Member of Parliament of the now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, said that academics, politicians, writers, and persons from varied walks of life who have benefited from the populist policies implemented during the two Thaksin administrations wanted to recall memories about the policies, so they jointly created this magazine with the hope of reflecting points of view of Thai people and injustices in Thai society.

Sutham said that the magazine will be officially launched July 26, the birthday of the former premier, and will be published on the first and 15th of every month, with 30,000 copies each time.

Somyot Preuksakasemsuk, a leading UDD member, said the magazine is not financed by Thaksin, but by donations from his supporters.

Some part of the benefit from running magazine will be used to further develop a magazine for Asian readers like Time Magazine.

Meanwhile, key UDD leader Veera Musikapong said that the group has successfully gathered one million signatures to ask for a Royal Pardon for the ex-premier, so that he will be allowed to return from his self-imposed exile, as the movement earlier intended.

"We have to see again on July 31 when we will hold a mass anti government protest at Bangkok's Sanam Luang", said Veera, "whether there will be more signatures collected."

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-20

1248086347.jpg

develop a magazine for Asian readers like Time Magazine.

Indeed, Thaksin's new rag will certainly become the equal of Time Magazine and its decades and dozens of Pulitzer Prize winners in no time. :):D

post-9005-1248108198_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, key UDD leader Veera Musikapong said that the group has successfully gathered one million signatures to ask for a Royal Pardon for the ex-premier, so that he will be allowed to return from his self-imposed exile, as the movement earlier intended.

They got their million (or so they say)... but... whatcha gonna do with them now, Veera?

post-327-1248139887_thumb.jpg

Sutham Saengprathum shows new twice-monthly political magazine; Voice of Taksin,

which will hit the stands on July 26, the birthday of fugitive ex-Thaksin Shinawatra.

The magazine will has its own website.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/32

post-327-1248139887_thumb.jpg

Sutham Saengprathum shows new twice-monthly political magazine; Voice of Taksin,

which will hit the stands on July 26, the birthday of fugitive ex-Thaksin Shinawatra.

The magazine will has its own website.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/32

And in typical Thai fashion, the best way to replicate the success of Time magazine for Asia is completely ripping off its front cover (no doubt leaving attention to content a very distant second priority).

1248086347.jpg

Somyot Preuksakasemsuk, a leading UDD member, said the magazine is not financed by Thaksin, but by donations from his supporters.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-20

Few bahts by his supporters but bulk of it comes from his own pocket via nominee company or proxy individual that Mr & Mrs Thaksin is so famous for.

Maybe it's time for that former maid and driver to contribute few million baht each as donations for the new magazine! :)

Government unfazed by 'Voice of Thaksin'

The United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) can launch its news magazine Voice of Thaksin so long as it contains no content that contravenes the law, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said on Tuesday.

The first edition of the twice-monthly anti-government magazine is due out on Sunday. Mr Suthep said the government can control the red-shirt movement but it respects the rights of all parties as long as they do not do anything illegal.

He, personally, paid no attention at all to the movement supporting fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra. Prime Minister's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey also said he was not worried about the launch of the pro-Thaksin magazine. People would use their own judgement in reading its

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...oice-of-thaksin

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-21

They got their million (or so they say)... but... whatcha gonna do with them now, Veera?

or maybe not...

Thaksin´s fan club to celebrate his birthday

CHIANG MAI, 21 July 2009 (NNT) – The Thaksin fan club, comprising those loyal to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, will celebrate his 61st birthday anniversary on July 26 in Chiang Mai.

President of Khon Rak Thaksin Fan Club of Thailand Mahawan Kawang revealed that the club, in cooperation with other alliance organizations, would celebrate the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s 61st birthday anniversary on July 26 in Chiang Mai.

61 Buddhist monks would be invited to receive alms and make merit at Elephant Circle in front of the Royal Floral Park 2006 at 9 am.

The rite would be held at Wat Don Chan Temple, and the party would be organized in the evening in front of the venue of the Royal Flora 2006.

During the party the group would collect names for supporting royal amnesty for the former prime minister as well.

Currently the group had collected over 30,000 names already.

Mahawan said that Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin did not want them to celebrate the occasion, but the group insisted to organize the party as it did not cause trouble to anybody, while the people who supported the former Prime Minister would participate in the fair as well.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-07-21

I've seen some reds recording birthday messages for Thaksin on video, for their TV station, I guess.

It was very emotional and full or references to "prachachons" and "nayoks". It occured to me that they don't seem to realise that there are millions of Thais out there who don't want Thaksin anymore. Those Thais apparently don't exist in the red minds. According to all signs those people also outnumber Thaksin loyalists. But, as with every revolution, opposing views don't matter and don't count, they are a distraction from a fight for "democracy".

or maybe not...

During the party the group would collect names for supporting royal amnesty for the former prime minister as well.

Red-shirts push forward Royal Pardon campaign for Thaksin in Petchaburi

The red-shirt group is moving forward with its campaign to seek a Royal Pardon for fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Key red-shirt figures including Nutthawut Saikua, Jatuporn Prompan, and Arisman Pongruangrong organised a stage in Petchaburi's Thayang district to discuss their plans for political movement and for the attack of the Abhisit government.

More than 500 red-shirt supporters from the provinces of Petchaburi, Ratchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Samut Sakhorn, Samut Songkram, Kanchanaburi, and Nakhon Pathom attended the activities.

Additionally, the key red-shirt figures vowed to continue the campaign to collect 1 million signatures, asking for a Royal Pardon from His Majesty the King for fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-07-22

or maybe not...

CHIANG MAI, 21 July 2009 (NNT) – The Thaksin fan club, comprising those loyal to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, will celebrate his 61st birthday anniversary on July 26 in Chiang Mai.

President of Khon Rak Thaksin Fan Club of Thailand Mahawan Kawang revealed that the club, in cooperation with other alliance organizations, would celebrate the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s 61st birthday anniversary on July 26 in Chiang Mai.

61 Buddhist monks would be invited to receive alms and make merit at Elephant Circle in front of the Royal Floral Park 2006 at 9 am.

The rite would be held at Wat Don Chan Temple, and the party would be organized in the evening in front of the venue of the Royal Flora 2006.

Mahawan said that Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin did not want them to celebrate the occasion, but the group insisted to organize the party as it did not cause trouble to anybody, while the people who supported the former Prime Minister would participate in the fair as well.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-07-21

The news bureau is reporting about his upcoming 60s birthday... or his 61st next year... ??? :) or is the exact date of birth unknown?