Usb 3g/edge/gprs Modem 550 Baht

Jiu-Jitsu

For those of you who can make use of such a thing, you can find it here.

Once obtained, you'll need to change the 3 branded firmware to the generic 'open' version. All that you need is here. You'll need to have a machine with Windows XP installed in order to change the firmware.

All you need now is a friend in the UK. You can entice him/her with the promise of five free albums by unsigned artists. :)

I think that in Thailand they are around five times more expensive, though I'm sure someone can come up with more accurate info.

It's also got a MICRO SD Memory Card Slot, so that you can double it up as a storage device. I think up to 4 GB.

Tried one with a DTAC PrePaid SIM on EDGE and was happily downloading in excess of 20 kB/s within minutes. :D

Yes, I too got one for 4.95 inclusive of postage and packing.

I recall someone asking about Aircards, so thought the link would be useful.

Model is ZTE MF627.

Not so cheap,but not so far - in Singapore Airport you can get modem with SIM for 2500B,prepaid - 5 days unlimited mobile broadband - 400B

and it is real 2M or more,company name:StarHub,modem from Huawei

in HK - "3" has similar offer only without registration.

Yes, I too got one for 4.95 inclusive of postage and packing.

I recall someone asking about Aircards, so thought the link would be useful.

Model is ZTE MF627.

Not so cheap,but not so far - in Singapore Airport you can get modem with SIM for 2500B,prepaid - 5 days unlimited mobile broadband - 400B

and it is real 2M or more,company name:StarHub,modem from Huawei

in HK - "3" has similar offer only without registration.

Is it unlocked? So that you can connect worldwide using local SIMs. If not, it's quite useless.

Distance makes little difference to the UK offer, as it can be forwarded by International Signed For mail and still cost as little as 750 baht. As to it being 'real', it' capable of a 3.6MB 3G connection...only the mobile networks in Thailand haven't spread coverage as yet.

In addition, you can connect to the StarHub service by just buying the SIM and using it with the unlocked modem as above.

What do I need for my MaxMobile Prepaid service?

To access StarHub MaxMobile Prepaid service, you would need our MaxMobile Prepaid SIM Card, a USB Modem and a laptop. You can purchase a MaxMobile Prepaid SIM Card and a USB Modem from any StarHub shops and all Exclusive Partner outlets.

If you currently already owned a USB Modem, you can configure the Access Point Name (APN) setting to “shppd†in order to access MaxMobile Prepaid. If necessary, the Dial Number for MaxMobile Prepaid is *99#.

http://www.starhub.com/support/broadband/f...ileprepaid.html

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

• 2 weeks later...

TRUE "Wi-Fi / EDGE / GPRS” promotion

1. Prepaid or Post-paid

2. Users are eligible to apply for this Wi-Fi/EDGE/GPRS promotion until 5 August 2009 and use this promotion until the end of billing cycle for the month of October 2009.

Users are eligible to apply for or cancel the service by dialing *9000 only (free of charge) and start using this promotion after receiving a confirmation SMS.

4. This promotion comprises:

4.1 Monthly unlimited hi-speed net package:

4.1.1 Monthly fee of 250 Baht covers unlimited EDGE/GPRS access.

4.1.2 Monthly fee of 450 Baht covers unlimited EDGE/GPRS and/or Wi-Fi 256 K access.

4.1.3 Monthly fee of 599 Baht covers unlimited EDGE/GPRS and/or Wi-Fi 1 Mb access.

tried today..it all seems to work..you sign up and get an email saying account created and they give you a voucher code

then when you try to log in to the site you get a lovely..

Microsoft JScript runtime  error '800a01b6'

Object doesn't support this property or method

/Localisation/gblTop.asp, line 161

:)

Website is working now.

If there is concern that there is no security on the payment page, add s on to the end of http, hit Enter and accept the certificate.

You can then go ahead with payment.

At 275 baht, it's less than one tenth of the price of a comparable product in Thailand.

Thank u for the Link Jiu-Jitsu.

Just asked a friend in UK to buy it. Lets see what happens.

Unit arrived yesterday. So three day delivery to be expected. Forwarding to Thailand can take another four days. Don't forget a Customs form, so that delivery is not delayed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sill available if you are in the UK and are intending to travel.

Black £12 / 580 baht

Pink £10.78 / 520 baht

According to the pics, the model is the ZTE MF626 so the unlocking instructions above should be identical.

Even if the item is incorrectly described, unlocking will only cost up to 200 baht.

A useful item to have in your arsenal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

so I live out in the sticks.

Can I buy one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCKED-Mobile-Broadband-USB-Modem-Huawei-E173-Dongle-/320681279040?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4aaa17fe40

And in addition one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antenna-3G-Broadband-Huawei-O2-USB-Modems-CRC9-/150586101424?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item230fa18eb0

And then buy a CAT sim card, and Hey Presto ?

I should point out that my friend recently brought his laptop to our house and connected via a cat dongle.

so I live out in the sticks.

Can I buy one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCKED-Mobile-Broadband-USB-Modem-Huawei-E173-Dongle-/320681279040?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4aaa17fe40

And in addition one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antenna-3G-Broadband-Huawei-O2-USB-Modems-CRC9-/150586101424?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item230fa18eb0

And then buy a CAT sim card, and Hey Presto ?

I should point out that my friend recently brought his laptop to our house and connected via a cat dongle.

That modem is UMTS/HSPDA. CAT use CDMA, so you may need to buy equipment from them.

In addition, I don't know if they do SIM only contracts wherein you can source your own CDMA modem.

Perhaps you are stuck with EDGE for now, unless you want to splash out on over expensive CAT equipment.