Electronic Ticket-what Is It?

rbrb

You receive a number for your record in the computer system and that, with your photo ID card is used to check in. Most airlines in the world have or will soon be using this system. If you forget your number they can search on your name but that will be slower. Advantage is you never loose ticket and cost is much less for airline. Just make sure you book using your name exactly as it appears on your ID.

Electronic tickets (e-tickets) are only used for the moment when travel is on one carrier and does not involved complicated itineraries.

Not having a paper ticket reduces your mobility to have your ticket endorsed and used to board another carrier.

It is very easy to use but can be a pain if you need to make date changes, itinerary change, refunds, etc.

It is however the way to go as it requires much less paperwork for the airlines.

Make sure you have a copy of your reservation just in case they cannot find your record in the computer or they have a computer black-out at check-in.

If you buy an electronic ticket you should also receive a receipt. It will either be a paper receipt, or something you can print out as a result of buying your ticket online. The receipt will probably also include your itinerary. You should always have this receipt with you in case of any problems.

I recently purchased an electronic ticket from Northwest. When I arrived at the airport I found that even though I had been issued a receipt, the electronic ticket had not actually been issued. It took the agents some time to have the ticket actually "issued" (even though there was no physical ticket) so that I could check in and be issued a boarding pass. It helped a great deal to have the e-ticket receipt with me.

I was on an e-flight a couple of years ago from London City Airport to Amsterdam with KLM and same idea but no receipt as such just check in at airport type ATM machine in the main entrance.

The idea was that you could use a booking in slip(if issued)a credit,debit or a frequent flyer card which would recall your e-booking,verify and check you in.

Sure enough it worked well and one good thing is that it gave us a layout of the planes seating arrangement and allowed you to pick your seat (from the ones available -not already taken)

At that time really only suitable if you were only travelling with hand luggage.

BA have got something similar around but appears only good for issuing E-boarding cards.

Seems a good idea but not really taking off yet to its full potential.

Recon when the old eyeball/fingerprint/voice pattern recognition security syatems are in place there could be greater use of these ideas. :o