Buy A Nissan Navara 4x4 Le Or A Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0 G

MichelM

Hi,

I have to buy a new car and it has to be a "powerful" pickup.

I need to transport 1 or 2 small motorcycle (some time) and I need to drive fast (some time) to follow other cars!

So, I went to see Nissan and Toyota.

Nissan =>

propose me 50,000 B discount if I buy the Navara 4x4 LE extra-cab - 174 hp - torque 403 - ( 756,000 - 50,000 = 706,000 B ).

Toyota =>

propose me 30,000 B discount and I'm looking for the Hilux Vigo 3.0 G C-cab 4x4 - 163 hp - torque 343 - ( 779,000 - 30,000 = 749,000 B ).

So the Nissan is 43,000 B cheaper than the Toyota and (for me) looks nicer!

What are the positive and negative points of those 2 cars...

What would you do?

Do not hesitate to give me your comments...

Thanks a lot, Michel

I bought the Toyota Pre-Runner because it has the Toyota quality that I've come to know and respect. There was nothing wrong with the Nissan, but my past experience (back in farang-land) with them was that they were VERY truck like. The suicide doors almost won me over, but the 4x doors from the Toyota weren't much more expensive.

I'm pleased with the power of the 3.0 turbo; never left me wanting. The engine is a bit agriculture sounding which I dig, and the turbo whine always makes me smile. Of course you could have different tastes. Range of adjustments lets me reset it to my preference after the wife drives it. One big complaint is the go-pedal is not hinged. This bothers me because it doesn't fit your foot, but rather forces your foot to fit it!

I do agree that the Nissan is a nicer looking truck though; if you're planning on resale look at www.one2car.com for last year models and see which keeps it value better.

Hi MichelM, by chance I had a drive of a Navara turbo diesel last weekend and was surprised at how well it went with 5 big blokes on board and the back end full of tools. I was blowing off plenty of cars! First time drive and I was impressed!

Haven't driven the current HiLux yet, but I doubt it's any better than the Nissan.

Plus the Nissan is better looking! :)

I went through exactly the same exercise a few months ago, looked at ALL the pickups with Toyota as the front runner when I started and Nissan also in the running. To cut a long story short, I ended up buying a (new) Ford Ranger 4 door / 4 x 4 / 5 speed auto and its a great vehicle with some serious grunt and highway driving is excellent (don't bother telling me about resale values as that issue was also part of my selection process and the Ford still came out ahead for numerous reasons)

When Nissan decided to make the Navara bigger and more powerful, I was quite disappointed to see them choose the 2.5 liter engine. I have been waiting to see how this hopped up little engine would hold up. It appears that my concerns were probably wrong because I have heard of no problems with reliability. I consider the Ford and the Navara to be the best looking pickups sold in Thailand. That said, my next new pickup will likely be an Isuzu.

Edited by Gary A

When Nissan decided to make the Navara bigger and more powerful, I was quite disappointed to see them choose the 2.5 liter engine. I have been waiting to see how this hopped up little engine would hold up.

The little :) engine is far more powerful

If you look at the outgoing 3.0 lt it has 103 HP......... Torque is 209Nm @ 2000RPM

The new one has indeed a 2.5 lt but with Commonrail Turbo intercooler the output is 144 HP......Torque is 356Nm @ 2000RPM

When Nissan decided to make the Navara bigger and more powerful, I was quite disappointed to see them choose the 2.5 liter engine. I have been waiting to see how this hopped up little engine would hold up.

If you look at the outgoing 3.0 lt it has 103 HP......... Torque is 209Nm @ 2000RPM

The new one has indeed a 2.5 lt but with Commonrail Turbo intercooler the output is 144 HP......Torque is 356Nm @ 2000RPM

The one I locked at (Navara) is the 4x4 with 174hp and Torque is 403Nm @ 2000RPM!

The one I locked at (Navara) is the 4x4 with 174hp and Torque is 403Nm @ 2000RPM!

If you want even more Nissan power inexpensively, look at racechips.com

If money is not too much of a problem I would go with the Toyota Vigo.

Woah, why would I say that?, I have never owned or even had the pleasure of driving one but the doors closing do have that quality Mercedes type clunk to them, I did try that a few (many!) times in the showroom when I went looking at pickups too.

As for Nissan Navs, I have owned one since they first appeared on the scene in Thailand and fine trucks they are, but big heavy beasts with the turning circle of a cruise ship, not the best for shunting about in a supermarket car park or smaller spaces.

Mine is alas the 2 wheel drive King Cab LE one, only 144hp but is flying when pushed over the 3000RPM. Its hauling ability second to none, recently I took down a full load of 50 KG fertilizer bags to my wife's Mums farm.. Petch to Prachin Buri.

If you like lots of brown plastic trim and interior then that's ok too as that is your only choice.

The LE has leather seats/Airbags and ABS, SE trim gets just cloth and no ABS/Airbags..

5O Thousand Baht is a tempting discount/ being a two door its taxed as a commercial truck but I would think Class 1 insurance would be over 20k at today's rates.

At new mine was 619,000 Baht,. a lot of truck for just under 9000GBP when we had a good rate!.

There again I am in ex-pat Isuzu country here, everyone rates the 2.5 Platinum Hi-Lander Cab4, a lot of sneering down at Nissan owners but who gives a toss. :)

• 1 year later...

Woah, why would I say that?, I have never owned or even had the pleasure of driving one but the doors closing do have that quality Mercedes type clunk to them, I did try that a few (many!) times in the showroom when I went looking at pickups too.

As for Nissan Navs, I have owned one since they first appeared on the scene in Thailand and fine trucks they are, but big heavy beasts with the turning circle of a cruise ship, not the best for shunting about in a supermarket car park or smaller spaces.

Mine is alas the 2 wheel drive King Cab LE one, only 144hp but is flying when pushed over the 3000RPM. Its hauling ability second to none, recently I took down a full load of 50 KG fertilizer bags to my wife's Mums farm.. Petch to Prachin Buri.

If you like lots of brown plastic trim and interior then that's ok too as that is your only choice.

The LE has leather seats/Airbags and ABS, SE trim gets just cloth and no ABS/Airbags..

5O Thousand Baht is a tempting discount/ being a two door its taxed as a commercial truck but I would think Class 1 insurance would be over 20k at today's rates.

At new mine was 619,000 Baht,. a lot of truck for just under 9000GBP when we had a good rate!.

There again I am in ex-pat Isuzu country here, everyone rates the 2.5 Platinum Hi-Lander Cab4, a lot of sneering down at Nissan owners but who gives a toss. :)

:angry: Very pissed off at my Navarra. 45K kms. on the clock and just replaced my second clutch already. It is NOT meant for offroad. As Nissan Surat refuse to discuss it, does anyone know what is the time and mileage warranty on a new Navarra ?

:angry: Very pissed off at my Navarra. 45K kms. on the clock and just replaced my second clutch already. It is NOT meant for offroad. As Nissan Surat refuse to discuss it, does anyone know what is the time and mileage warranty on a new Navarra ?

Sure your not riding the clutch? I new a women who kept her foot on the clutch all the time and she went through clutches often.

I've been in the market for a truck also, my first choice would have been the Triton because I like its style and it has the nicest interior. However Mitsubishi didn't have the options I wanted. The Navara is nice on the outside but has the ugliest interior. My wife and I quickly left the showroom after looking in the cab. Ford has the nicest package IMHO with a stylish exterior and interior. Plus they have more color and drive train options. I'm waiting to see the new ford BT60 coming out next year.

Edited by Sakeopete

Yeah, If you can hold on for around 6-8 months I would definitely consider the new Ford Ranger T6:

3.2-litre five-cylinder 200hp - 470nm and looks pretty cool as well

I've been in the market for a truck also, my first choice would have been the Triton because I like its style and it has the nicest interior. However Mitsubishi didn't have the options I wanted. The Navara is nice on the outside but has the ugliest interior. My wife and I quickly left the showroom after looking in the cab. Ford has the nicest package IMHO with a stylish exterior and interior. Plus they have more color and drive train options. I'm waiting to see the new ford BT60 coming out next year.

Please owners of the Nissan Navara how many km per lt do you get ?

Friend bought one the 'CALIBRE' in January this year the Auto, nice but am put off with the 8km or less per lt, my present 'Gold Series' 2.5 SLX D-Max ad-verges just over 13 km per lt

Re post No 11, still have the Nissan king cab, it still shakes, rattles and roll's and I am being pressurised in to buying something a bit more up market!.

I have never been able to work acccurately what my manual version fuel consumption is.

The truck must have a dodgy fuel gauge as I have run the thing right down with the fuel warning light on and when topped up with a full tank only seem to get 63 ish litres in.

The Navara has a 80 Litre capacity tank, one of lifes little mysteries!.

I am surprised that your friends Calibre is getting such a poor consumption rate.

Maybe wrong but LE & SE are luxury and standard equipment spec?

Again mine is the LE and has two airbags and leather seats, perhaps some other differences too from the SE?

Nothing luxurious about a Nissan Navara!, if I did nt say that Mr Trans will be along shortly to inform you all what crap motors they are :D

I have never been able to work acccurately what my manual version fuel consumption is.

The truck must have a dodgy fuel gauge as I have run the thing right down with the fuel warning light on and when topped up with a full tank only seem to get 63 ish litres in.

Could well be like my D-Max, when the warning light comes on can still drive over 100 km more

Re post No 11, still have the Nissan king cab, it still shakes, rattles and roll's and I am being pressurised in to buying something a bit more up market!.

The Navara has a 80 Litre capacity tank, one of lifes little mysteries!.

I am surprised that your friends Calibre is getting such a poor consumption rate.

Maybe wrong but LE & SE are luxury and standard equipment spec?

Again mine is the LE and has two airbags and leather seats, perhaps some other differences too from the SE?

Nothing luxurious about a Nissan Navara!, if I did nt say that Mr Trans will be along shortly to inform you all what crap motors they are :D

I am here, Sir Trans please :D. Kept out of this one. BUT, l will add, the LE has less rattles and knocks cos you get ear muffs as standard. :lol:

I suppose one would stick up for something once you've bought, I say to the poster do what I did, give all the trucks a test drive and you will choose what YOU like best.

My auto 3.0 4D4 4x4 does 12 kilo to litre on average more I guess if I tickerdey boo'ed along which I don't.:)

Edited by Kwasaki

I suppose one would stick up for something once you've bought

Not always - ask me what I think of Chevrolet Thailand sometime, hehe :)

On second thought, don't. I'd only waste my time writing a small novel that would be almost entirely blocked by the profanity filters here :lol:

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I suppose one would stick up for something once you've bought

Not always - ask me what I think of Chevrolet Thailand sometime, hehe :)

On second thought, don't. I'd only waste my time writing a small novel that would be almost entirely blocked by the profanity filters here :lol:

That was my point, if you drove a Chevrolet truck which is the same as something else and some of the other trucks you wouldn't buy it.

I'll blown a Toyota trumpet again here when test drove my Vigo back in 2005 it was the best, if other trucks have come on from that good but Toyota lead the way for what people in Thailand wanted, the pre-runner is a prime example of what people wanted.

I think someone said Nissan is the top selling truck in Thailand is it ???? probably another Nissan owner.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet it's someone who don't want nitrogen in their tyres.:D :D

Edited by Kwasaki