Garlic

sbk

I am currently visiting the family back home and find the larger garlic here pretty tasteless. Just not as garlicky as the garlic back in thailand. Does anyone know what the variety is called that is used in Thailand (in english, obviously).

The garlic here isn't elephant garlic, but it is larger and thicker skinned than the garlic in Thailand. And just not garlicky enough to cook with :)

I don't know where "back home" is.....but here in NZ in recent years they have started importing garlic from China. It is thicker skinned and much milder than the locally grown variety....and the Chinese garlic is about one quarter the cost of the local garlic, hence it is in every shop now.

I know what you mean about it being almost tasteless.

A chef pointed out to me that the Chinese imports do not have the frill of dry roots at the bottom of the clove....they are harvested much closer to the bulb....so, price and the appearance (or not) of the roots maybe the things you should look for when buying garlic.

Hi,

Maybe you can look at farmer's markets or health food stores and ask if the have any wild garlic. I think that Thai garlic is a purple skinned hard neck type. Maybe an Itailan import foods store might have a differant type of garlic. Here in the USA we find many Asian veggys at the farmer's markets. Many Homong are moving to our area and they all seem to grow a garden to sell produce.

Good luck

*j*

I am only here for a few months suegha. By the time the garlic was ready to be harvested, I would be back in Thailand already :)

But, I did buy some bird pepper plants for my brother-in-law, he loves the super spicy food. I bring him curry paste every year too.

I just plant a lot of garlic cloves out in the flower garden and in spaces not used for other things. The garlic bulb are much smaller and more tasty than the grocery store garlic (imported from China) here in the US. I guess that for garlic, 'suffering builds character' :)

when I had my wife over in London, I did notice she favoured the purple skinned variety of garlic, being similiar in looks at least to what she was used to. Then she discovered China town and the numerous thai shops/warehouses. then there was'nt any problem. I would definitely say the Thai garlic is a different variety to the European/American one.

I am only here for a few months suegha. By the time the garlic was ready to be harvested, I would be back in Thailand already :)

But, I did buy some bird pepper plants for my brother-in-law, he loves the super spicy food. I bring him curry paste every year too.

Do you grow your own back in Thailand?

We have many styles of garlic in Australia. Unfortunately most of it comes from china but if you look around you can find the better stuff (I prefer the Thai style too).

I find that Thai garlic is actually less garlicky but I like the fact you can eat the cloves whole and not regret it later. Apparently in much of Thailand the Garlic sold is now a mixture of locally grown and Chinese grown.

I might have a go at growing my own (but I'll have to clear out the dead chilli & lemongrass plants first :) )