Khao Soi Ripoff

wolfmanjack

I've always fancied going here(old..I know) But looks way out of town & hard to find.

Dude. Totally worth the search effort. And it's one of the easiest places to find in that there aren't any turns n side streets, You just go north on the east side (right) of the river. It'll be on your right hand side opp a big parking lot for a dinner house/ club on the river-side of the street - the name of that place escapes me - but the sign for them is in Eng and Thai, I think. If you get to the bridge underpass for the super hwy, you've gone too far and have to go back about .75 kilometers, probably.

Also at Khao Soi Lamduan, I'm a fan of the pumpkin french fries with sweet chili sauce - they have it most days (Fak Tong Chumpaeng or something like that).

Nice one :)

Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers John and Ajarn,

I tried the one next to the wat today(It looks like thaksin has eaten there also), the food was great both the Mrs and I really enjoyed it. I have also seen just up the road the place that Ajarn mentioned, so we are eating there later in the week.

Thanks again both of you, and hope things are good John at the new place.

The first couple of times there I was thinking he owned the place! I'm surprised there isn't a shrine out front with a statue of him.

We just always said, "want to eat at Thaksin's?. :)

I do miss Tanawan 2! But on the upside, there is a eatery here that serves the best moo kratiem in all of Thailand!! ( and no pics of the devil there )

It's possible I've been unlucky with the food and service the two times I've been to Lamduan, or maybe I just like my Khao Soi different, but I actually prefer Khao Soi Samoe Jai next to the temple on the opposite side of Faham Rd. (the one already mentioned).

I like them too, and now they have another shop near me, so it is much easier to eat now :)

Both of the Khao Soi places on the E side of the river do a great job, and have their own pluses and minuses.

When I'm in the center of the city I hit up Srichai Khao Soi which is just up the left (south) side of the 3 Kings Monument along with like 10 other restaurants. They're the last one there on the upper left corner, caddy corner to a dental clinic (Sakda Poly-clinic or something ?). They do a nice earthy, and slightly sweet bowl of khao soi. There are many different versions of this soup and I really like theirs, plus it's convenient any time you're in town between 7 am to about 3pm (when they usually wind down). You can also score a good Khao Man Gai there with a tasty naam jim (dipping sauce). The prices are all Thai style - 25-35 baht, so it's an all around winner in my book. People are friendly and the place is clean too.

By the way - I'm without a Thai keyboard here, and not the best Thai speller anyway, but Thais tend to like their noodles with just a little soup in it and even order kwaytiyao this way often - it's wetter than dry, but just short of soup, and they call it 'kleuk klik.' Knowing that I tend to order all of my soups by asking for extra broth, whatever the soup, because we westerners tend to really like the idea of soupy soups. This may have even prevented alot of the problems the OP had as well. When I order I ask 'Kaw naam, yeuh, ne-khap.' That usually does the trick. Meadish, feel like typing those out for us ?