Khao Soi Ripoff

wolfmanjack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems some other gent complained at a local establishment and got slugged on the side of his head. I think he was complaining so I think you did the right thing. :) You may have seen the video here. I don't complain either. It's not worth it.

Im always pretty scared to complain at restaurants/food places. Mainly because if i do, I have no idea what they will do to my food. :) Prefer just to leave the food and if it was really bad service or whatever, just never go back.

Not a good idea to let your plate or bowl go back to the kitchen after complaining! :D

Good advice eek.

I think the best Khao Soi is Lamduan Khao Soi in Farham..20 baht :D

Sorry, ole mate, but if that's the one I'm thinking of it's not a patch on my regular in the old city. I'll keep that un under wraps for now... don't want tipping farangs ruining the ambience... present company accepted. :)

i think Ajarns talkin about the one one shown in this video :D

was it meant to be a secret? :D

Best koy soi I ever have had is on that big two story koy soi temple on the superhighway

nothing comes close.

I assume you are not talking about the same place as you need a car or motor bike to get there as there is nothing in proximity.

I have never actually ever seen a falang there...

Sorry, ole mate, but if that's the one I'm thinking of it's not a patch on my regular in the old city. I'll keep that un under wraps for now... don't want tipping farangs ruining the ambience... present company accepted. :)

That is the place. Nice people, good food. I have been a regular cutomer for more than 20 years.

They have great Muu Satay, and Paw Pia Tawt too :D

Edited by Ajarn

When you and your girlfriend ate there, and you received a small bowl while your girlfriend received a large bowl, why did you not mention it to the owner THEN? Why wait to complain now?

I think the best Khao Soi is Lamduan Khao Soi in Farham..20 baht :)

First of all I was there with my wife. I do not have a girlfriend. Second of all I am not the type of person that complains to the owners unless i receive uncooked food or something like that. I just never go there again and will tell others. The point of this thread is not to cry over spilt milk it is to help other Khao Soi lovers to avoid the place.

Still, it doesn't make sense to me that you would not complain to the owner- unless you were afraid to...

Better to come here anonymously to complain, right?

Why are you complaining about me warning people to stay away from this place ??

When you and your girlfriend ate there, and you received a small bowl while your girlfriend received a large bowl, why did you not mention it to the owner THEN? Why wait to complain now?

I think the best Khao Soi is Lamduan Khao Soi in Farham..20 baht :)

First of all I was there with my wife. I do not have a girlfriend. Second of all I am not the type of person that complains to the owners unless i receive uncooked food or something like that. I just never go there again and will tell others. The point of this thread is not to cry over spilt milk it is to help other Khao Soi lovers to avoid the place.

Still, it doesn't make sense to me that you would not complain to the owner- unless you were afraid to...

Because your wife was quite satisfied and you weren't, and because I think you are not a good customer :D

Edited by Ajarn

That is the place. Nice people, good food. I have been a regular cutomer for more than 20 years.

Is that the place with all the photos of Thaksin along one wall?

Wolfman, keep your reviews of restaurants coming in, no-one can blame you for not complaining at the time. If I had been served the same deal, I would have been in shock and kinda waiting for the top up to arrive! But I wouldn't have bothered complaining as you know there's no point with some people, it's just written across their face but I would have been annoyed with myself for going in there in the first place.

Regards Bojo

i think Ajarns talkin about the one one shown in this video :)

Is that the place with all the photos of Thaksin along one wall?

Yes, the word is that he (or someone acting for him) used to come in regularly :D

Not the most expensive khao soi in CM. That distinction would go to the restaurant Just Khao Soy. And a few hotel restaurants as well. :D

I beg to differ. I have eaten at just Khao Soi and and the price to quantity ratio is much better at Just Khao Soi. I can get full on one bowl at Just Khao Soi and I would have needed around 10 bowls at Mamma Noodles. Therefore Mamma Noodles Khao Soi is more expensive.

I didn't mention quality or quantity, just price :)

I went to the Mamma Noodles Restaurant on Changklan Road. They listed Khao Soi at 60 baht but the noodle soup I saw on tables were pretty big bowls so i went ahead and ordered. Sure enough i got the huge bowl I expected but the Khao Soi did not even cover the bottom of the bowl. :) There were about two bites of Khao Soi. If you like Khao Soi avoid this place.

Thanks for the warning :D

It's a shame some other TVers don't appreciate your friendly advice and then complain about your post.

Wolfman, keep your reviews of restaurants coming in, no-one can blame you for not complaining at the time. If I had been served the same deal, I would have been in shock and kinda waiting for the top up to arrive! But I wouldn't have bothered complaining as you know there's no point with some people, it's just written across their face but I would have been annoyed with myself for going in there in the first place.

Regards Bojo

thanks bojo.

I went to the Mamma Noodles Restaurant on Changklan Road. They listed Khao Soi at 60 baht but the noodle soup I saw on tables were pretty big bowls so i went ahead and ordered. Sure enough i got the huge bowl I expected but the Khao Soi did not even cover the bottom of the bowl. :) There were about two bites of Khao Soi. If you like Khao Soi avoid this place.

Thanks for the warning :D

It's a shame some other TVers don't appreciate your friendly advice and then complain about your post.

Thanks Scrubber. Glad to know some like you and bojo appreciate it.

Not the most expensive khao soi in CM. That distinction would go to the restaurant Just Khao Soy. And a few hotel restaurants as well. :D

I beg to differ. I have eaten at just Khao Soi and and the price to quantity ratio is much better at Just Khao Soi. I can get full on one bowl at Just Khao Soi and I would have needed around 10 bowls at Mamma Noodles. Therefore Mamma Noodles Khao Soi is more expensive.

I didn't mention quality or quantity, just price :)

You can't compare the price unless you compare the quantity and/or quality. A full meal as in what you get at Just Khao Soi should be more expensive than the taste that you get at Mama Noodles.

Ajarn where is Lamduan? I live on Tanawan 2 is it anywhere near that?

Rich,

It's not too far. Take the river road off the superhiway,pass the rimping plaza where the tourist police have a office, it's close to where the Elizabethan ( sp) Room used to be & on the right hand side. Next door to the temple.

Always lots of folks there.

The wife loves the suki there.

Rich,

It's not too far. Take the river road off the superhiway,pass the rimping plaza where the tourist police have a office, it's close to where the Elizabethan ( sp) Room used to be & on the right hand side. Next door to the temple.

It is not the same place that is next to a wat. That place is newer, and popular, but their Khaw Soi doesn't have the same 'bite'. Lamduan is about a block further down the road, on the left hand side. It is across from a big empty parking lot...

Rich,

It is not the same place that is next to a wat. That place is newer, and popular, but their Khaw Soi doesn't have the same 'bite'. Lamduan is about a block further down the road, on the left hand side. It is across from a big empty parking lot...

Sorry. I was mistaken. At least I was close. :)

Rich,

Sorry. I was mistaken. At least I was close. :)

The word is that that is why they opened- because they would be close to Lamduan :D

Because your wife was quite satisfied and you weren't, and because I think you are not a good customer :)

Wolfmanjack a reasonable post but some posters comments demonstrate there are a**holes with too much time on their hands and been here too long.

I have the opposite situation. Because I normally eat at one or two places on a regular basis I get preferential treatment. I always tip well and they know how I like my meals.

Tipping for khao soi! That's just nuts and probably makes you look a little bit daft in the eyes of the owner. Tipping for khao soi is just not the done thing, unless perhaps you're in a three chefs hats khao soi joint in Bangkok, but even then...

I have to agree. I understand wanting to help out workers who don't make a lot of money, but they don't expect it in noodle stalls and if farangs insist on tipping there, they will.

I tip in Western oriented restaurants that don't charge a service charge, because they are more upscale and the workers have to put up with so much crap from foreigners, but I much rather save some places that I don't need to tip for when times are tough, so that I can eat somewhere cheaply.

There is no expectation of tips at Thai noodle stalls. Please keep it that way! :)

You misunderstood me. I eat at a small Thai cafe where there is only one lady who owns the place and does all the cooking. I don't tip in the big family type food stalls, or noodle restaurants.

I know that this shouldnt matter, but did you order in English or Thai? Just I suspect at times if you speak Thai it dissuades some antics like this. Surprised if it happened if you spoke to her in Thai. However, shouldnt happen anyway. Silly lady will lose herself good customers if she behaves like that.

eek,

Good to see that you are stll the voice of reason here :)

Sorry, ole mate, but if that's the one I'm thinking of it's not a patch on my regular in the old city. I'll keep that un under wraps for now... don't want tipping farangs ruining the ambience... present company accepted. :D

Yep, that's the one. Sorry to go against the grain but it's certainly not the best; for me anyway. Sauce not tasty enough, chicken not tender enough, too busy, too hot and too close to a busy road. Is it true you have to buy water there? :)

I've always fancied going here(old..I know) But looks way out of town & hard to find.

Dude. Totally worth the search effort. And it's one of the easiest places to find in that there aren't any turns n side streets, You just go north on the east side (right) of the river. It'll be on your right hand side opp a big parking lot for a dinner house/ club on the river-side of the street - the name of that place escapes me - but the sign for them is in Eng and Thai, I think. If you get to the bridge underpass for the super hwy, you've gone too far and have to go back about .75 kilometers, probably.

Also at Khao Soi Lamduan, I'm a fan of the pumpkin french fries with sweet chili sauce - they have it most days (Fak Tong Chumpaeng or something like that).

Sorry, ole mate, but if that's the one I'm thinking of it's not a patch on my regular in the old city. I'll keep that un under wraps for now... don't want tipping farangs ruining the ambience... present company accepted. :D

Yep, that's the one. Sorry to go against the grain but it's certainly not the best; for me anyway. Sauce not tasty enough, chicken not tender enough, too busy, too hot and too close to a busy road. Is it true you have to buy water there? :)

:D dont start

Cheers John and Ajarn,

I tried the one next to the wat today(It looks like thaksin has eaten there also), the food was great both the Mrs and I really enjoyed it. I have also seen just up the road the place that Ajarn mentioned, so we are eating there later in the week.

Thanks again both of you, and hope things are good John at the new place.