Airasia Getting Worse...

pepi2005

After thinking about it, I decided to share my latest experiences with AirAsia, since I think it can kind of "warn" others to get into the same traps as I did ... and I am quite sure that the "Airline of the year" propaganda is not accurate anymore.

Flying with AirAsia, part 1

I had booked flights to Indonesia with AirAsia about 1 month ago, however, I decided to change my travel plan, so I booked an additional flight from Bali to Jakarta, and then changed my return flight date from Jakarta to Bangkok to another day. As usual, I received the status messages after the booking process.

Finally, I checked in in the AirAsia queue, just to hear "sorry, you are not booked for this flight, sir!" I couldn't believe it, luckily I had the printout of the webpage with the changed schedule in my bag, and handed it over to him. Turns out that the changed booking wasn't processed! "Yes, just one booking per day is processed, if you do more, the other ones will not be processed sir!" I couldn't f'cking believe it! Indeed, I checked later and didn't receive a confirmation email, but since I received one for the fresh booking I did for the new flight, I hadn't noticed it. So all discussions didn't help, I had to make a new booking - of course for the tremendous late-booking price, well, I have to say that I was lucky the machine still had one available, otherwise I would have missed my other connection flight!! :D

"Of course", I didn't get ANY refund for my now void (changed, but not possible) flight I had booked before. What a waste of money due to some processing logic that is not clear (and not transparent) to the customer.

Flying with AirAsia, part 2

I had to fly to KL from Bangkok - unfortunately it turned out that I would have to start the day before, actually just about 10 hours before the date/time I had booked. Trying to simply change my booking online wasn't possible, since this is just possible up to 24 hours (don't remember now) prior to the flight. So I had to visit an AirAsia agent in Pattaya (Tukcom base floor) - however, at this time of the day (about 6 pm) they couldn't do that themselves anymore! The woman suggested I should book on the airport, she couldn't even book a new ticket herself now. "But I am not sure I can get a seat then!", I replied. "No problem sir, sure!" she said ... but well, I already "know" Thailand, and didn't trust the friendly smile. So I went to another agent, and he sold me a ticket for what turned out 1200 Baht more expensive than the actual price as I found out later (Agency: Joy Travel, Soi Buakhaow), very nice, thank you! Total damage: 3900 Baht.

The airplane started late, due to a passenger who was in fact booked for another KL flight, but refused to leave the plane.

In the flight, I looked at their menu brochure for a small snack - unfortunately, 2 pages were not readable since used chewing gum was sticking them together. Eeeeergh... :) Anyway, decided for chicken rice. "Sorry, already finished sir!" 2 other hot meals were also already out of stock, so the only food left was a disgusting and very dry looking "Tuna Sandwich". They had only visited 5 or 6 seat rows and no more hot meals available, are you kidding me. Indeed, I saw someone eating hot food, so they don't seem to have more than a handful of hot meals on board.

However, I was still relaxed, after all I had been handed out a boarding pass with a coupon for a generous 5 Baht discount on a Nescafe clipped onto it! So I thought <deleted>, and ordered a Nescafe, but once I did it, I was informed that the coupon ("valid just with the airport pass it is issued for!" as the rules said) in fact not valid for me, since "this is an AirAsia Malaysia flight, and your coupon was issued by AirAsia Thailand!" F'ck you, then why are you giving it to me at the first place?! Rather keep these useless coupons for yourself then. Of course I kept my Nescafe, a clever way of AirAsia to make the customer feel uncomfortable with an already worked-upon order, and finally letting him pay for something he would probably not have ordered otherwise.

So I got back to nip on my coffee while reading my newspaper (I bought before the flight, who would expect magazines on an AirAsia flight) and trying to ignore the scribbled eating panel ... someone seemed to have used it as a notepad for calculations during the flight.

"Of course", I couldn't get ANY refund for my now void (changed but not possible) flight I had booked before again (just as above). That's how an "Economy Promo" of AirAsia can suddenly turn into a very expensive flight, and you start to understand how their system works.

The only thing I will get is a refund on the Airport tax I had paid twice ... an information I got directly on the airport on their counter, after having waited 30 minutes in the queue. Luckily I had this much time on hand...

I have to admit that I am starting to get pissed with AirAsia and am seriously considering booking with other airlines ... after all, if you are requiring a flight for business purposes (which sometimes required booking changes) you can be better off with a serious, service-oriented airline, and at the bottom line it might even turn out cheaper than having booked with AirAsia. In terms of quality and service, other airlines already ARE better in my recent experinces.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking about it, I decided to share my latest experiences with AirAsia, since I think it can kind of "warn" others to get into the same traps as I did ... and I am quite sure that the "Airline of the year" propaganda is not accurate anymore.

Flying with AirAsia, part 1

I had booked flights to Indonesia with AirAsia about 1 month ago, however, I decided to change my travel plan, so I booked an additional flight from Bali to Jakarta, and then changed my return flight date from Jakarta to Bangkok to another day. As usual, I received the status messages after the booking process.

Finally, I checked in in the AirAsia queue, just to hear "sorry, you are not booked for this flight, sir!" I couldn't believe it, luckily I had the printout of the webpage with the changed schedule in my bag, and handed it over to him. Turns out that the changed booking wasn't processed! "Yes, just one booking per day is processed, if you do more, the other ones will not be processed sir!" I couldn't f'cking believe it! Indeed, I checked later and didn't receive a confirmation email, but since I received one for the fresh booking I did for the new flight, I hadn't noticed it. So all discussions didn't help, I had to make a new booking - of course for the tremendous late-booking price, well, I have to say that I was lucky the machine still had one available, otherwise I would have missed my other connection flight!! :D

"Of course", I didn't get ANY refund for my now void (changed, but not possible) flight I had booked before. What a waste of money due to some processing logic that is not clear (and not transparent) to the customer.

Flying with AirAsia, part 2

I had to fly to KL from Bangkok - unfortunately it turned out that I would have to start the day before, actually just about 10 hours before the date/time I had booked. Trying to simply change my booking online wasn't possible, since this is just possible up to 24 hours (don't remember now) prior to the flight. So I had to visit an AirAsia agent in Pattaya (Tukcom base floor) - however, at this time of the day (about 6 pm) they couldn't do that themselves anymore! The woman suggested I should book on the airport, she couldn't even book a new ticket herself now. "But I am not sure I can get a seat then!", I replied. "No problem sir, sure!" she said ... but well, I already "know" Thailand, and didn't trust the friendly smile. So I went to another agent, and he sold me a ticket for what turned out 1200 Baht more expensive than the actual price as I found out later (Agency: Joy Travel, Soi Buakhaow), very nice, thank you! Total damage: 3900 Baht.

The airplane started late, due to a passenger who was in fact booked for another KL flight, but refused to leave the plane.

In the flight, I looked at their menu brochure for a small snack - unfortunately, 2 pages were not readable since used chewing gum was sticking them together. Eeeeergh... :) Anyway, decided for chicken rice. "Sorry, already finished sir!" 2 other hot meals were also already out of stock, so the only food left was a disgusting and very dry looking "Tuna Sandwich". They had only visited 5 or 6 seat rows and no more hot meals available, are you kidding me. Indeed, I saw someone eating hot food, so they don't seem to have more than a handful of hot meals on board.

However, I was still relaxed, after all I had been handed out a boarding pass with a coupon for a generous 5 Baht discount on a Nescafe clipped onto it! So I thought <deleted>, and ordered a Nescafe, but once I did it, I was informed that the coupon ("valid just with the airport pass it is issued for!" as the rules said) in fact not valid for me, since "this is an AirAsia Malaysia flight, and your coupon was issued by AirAsia Thailand!" F'ck you, then why are you giving it to me at the first place?! Rather keep these useless coupons for yourself then. Of course I kept my Nescafe, a clever way of AirAsia to make the customer feel uncomfortable with an already worked-upon order, and finally letting him pay for something he would probably not have ordered otherwise.

So I got back to nip on my coffee while reading my newspaper (I bought before the flight, who would expect magazines on an AirAsia flight) and trying to ignore the scribbled eating panel ... someone seemed to have used it as a notepad for calculations during the flight.

"Of course", I couldn't get ANY refund for my now void (changed but not possible) flight I had booked before again (just as above). That's how an "Economy Promo" of AirAsia can suddenly turn into a very expensive flight, and you start to understand how their system works.

The only thing I will get is a refund on the Airport tax I had paid twice ... an information I got directly on the airport on their counter, after having waited 30 minutes in the queue. Luckily I had this much time on hand...

I have to admit that I am starting to get pissed with AirAsia and am seriously considering booking with other airlines ... after all, if you are requiring a flight for business purposes (which sometimes required booking changes) you can be better off with a serious, service-oriented airline, and at the bottom line it might even turn out cheaper than having booked with AirAsia. In terms of quality and service, other airlines already ARE better in my recent experinces.

Wherever did you get the idea that airlines are there for your pleasure?

Forget it, they are only there to generate as much profit as possible, including duping you!

I like that guy :)

Airasia like every low cost is good for a long planned trip.

If you need flexibility use Bangkok airways, no need to change ticket, they will put you on every plane available at airport at no cost... :D

Wherever did you get the idea that airlines are there for your pleasure?

Forget it, they are only there to generate as much profit as possible, including duping you!

Could it be because they are supposed to provide a service?

They bill themselves as a low cost, no frills airline. Their literature says it is best to pre-book meals, you get exactly the service you didn't pay for. At least their planes are new (for now anyway), I would have thought people wanting cheap flights use them, if they had all the extras then it wouldn't be cheap.

They bill themselves as a low cost, no frills airline. Their literature says it is best to pre-book meals, you get exactly the service you didn't pay for. At least their planes are new (for now anyway), I would have thought people wanting cheap flights use them, if they had all the extras then it wouldn't be cheap.

Having flown AirAsia a number of times i have to say that i think they are just as good, if not slightly better, than most budget airlines i have flown with around the world. There have been many occasions i have flown with a countries flag bearing airline and been treated worse by their staff than any flight i have ever had with AirAsia.

It is true that they need to reorganise their online system and their customer service centre could use some work but i was due to fly with them from BKK to Malaysia during the BKK airport closure last December and their service was exceptional. Lets not forget that many of these low-budget airlines are cheap because they make their profits from the overpriced, on-board snacks and meals.

I have used Air Asia regularly for my CNX-BKK flights, and have never had a single problem. You get exactly what you pay for, no more and no less.

If you're one of those silly old farts always changing their minds at the last minute, then please use a full-fare airline that will put up with your indecision and whims with a smile (and a much higher fare!), and leave AA for those of us who know when we are travelling and just want the cheapest fare from A to B.

I have used Air Asia regularly for my CNX-BKK flights, and have never had a single problem. You get exactly what you pay for, no more and no less.

If you're one of those silly old farts always changing their minds at the last minute, then please use a full-fare airline that will put up with your indecision and whims with a smile (and a much higher fare!), and leave AA for those of us who know when we are travelling and just want the cheapest fare from A to B.

THX Catmac... You said it all!!

I'd rather get kicked in the <deleted> over and over than have to endure AA ever again.

Planes dilapidated, seats horribly uncomfortable, 2 extra rows of seats in their 737 compared to Southwest Airlines (USA's premiere discount carrier) Southwest prides itself on great customer service, they have not changed their seat configuration since their maiden flight which makes them one of the few airlines I can fly economy and be comfortable, no extra charge for luggage (you get 2 50 pound checked bags), no B.S. surcharges. The price is the price. AA could learn a lot from Southwest Airlines. All the snacks and non alcoholic drinks you ask for for no charge.

150 baht surcharge for disabled passengers that need wheelchair assist (like me). I guess there is no Asians with Disabilities Act. They prefer to not pull up to a skyway at airports, they park the plane and pull out the circa 1960s or 4th world country style stairs. Crew rude. Felt lucky to arrive alive at my destination. This was a flight from BKK to PEN and I was is so much pain by the time I arrived I needed to go to hospital after I arrived. I have had better flights in cargo net seated MAC (US Air Force Military Airlift Command) flights

I will repeat, if it ever crosses my mind to fly AirAsia again someone needs to kick me in the nuts really hard and remind me why they suck.

2 weeks ago I flew with AirAsia from Bangkok to Singapore. But next time AA will also not be my first choice anymore.

After getting through the whole boooking process they turned out to be 2000 bath more expensive than Singapore Airlines!!

It's ridicoulous that you have to pay 50 bath extra for a seat. And 50 bath to carry luggage on board.

The seats are indeed really horibble, and I'm not that tall.

So if they ar a lot cheaper I go for them, but I will not choose them for their service,seats and meals.

It's ridicoulous that you have to pay 50 bath extra for a seat. And 50 bath to carry luggage on board.

That's not strictly true is it? You only need to pay 50 Baht to reserve a seat, possibly if there are two or more travelling together, otherwise the seats are assigned on check in. You don't have to pay 50 Baht to carry your luggage on board, you are allowed to carry up to 7kgs free, you do however have to pay from 50 Baht if you want to check your luggage.

I don't doubt that Singapore Airlines can sometimes be cheaper, I suppose it depends when you book and the load factor when you book. I have recently booked return flights to Singapore for 1,400 Baht return - no more to pay.

Yes the seats are not the biggest in the world but no worse than any other budget carrier, I feel they are adequate for the short hop to Singapore, and whilst I probably wouldn't want to travel much further I recently paid 2,400 Baht for flights to Bali, that was for two of us and included checked luggage and pre-paid meals - Thai was 35,000.

150 baht surcharge for disabled passengers that need wheelchair assist (like me). I guess there is no Asians with Disabilities Act.

I really don't see why passengers shouldn't be charged more for using an extra service, other than that leftist liberal politicians call it so called "discrimination" (and get votes from yet another "voter niche" in the process).

Edited by junkofdavid2

WOW, another disgruntled passenger who paid peanuts and expected five star services.... :)

We don't expect 5 star services.

We just want clearness of the website, sms sent asap when flight delayed, courtesy at the counter. Is that too much to ask?

Anyway, Airasia is now often more expensive than Bkk airways.

So I avoid flighing with Airasia as much as I can.

Missus had to fly home the other day in a hurry so we could not book by phone anymore (online doesn't work anyways because I have UOB credit card...not verified by visa :) )

Now SHE flies and I want to pay by credit card at the counter. Not that easy. I have to produce my passport. As I am not flying myself, I have no identification with me. No (sufficient) cash either as I expect to pay by card.

Eventually I find my diving license which sports a picture of mine and we can pay. Never had that before in all my years of having a credit card. No explanation why they have this procedure in place either. :D:D

150 baht surcharge for disabled passengers that need wheelchair assist (like me). I guess there is no Asians with Disabilities Act.

I really don't see why passengers shouldn't be charged more for using an extra service, other than that leftist liberal politicians call it so called "discrimination" (and get votes from yet another "voter niche" in the process).

Of course Ryanair were taken to task when they started charging for wheelchair assistance, which is illegal, they got round it by charging everybody the fee, that was legal and they still do it.

Missus had to fly home the other day in a hurry so we could not book by phone anymore (online doesn't work anyways because I have UOB credit card...not verified by visa :) )

Now SHE flies and I want to pay by credit card at the counter. Not that easy. I have to produce my passport. As I am not flying myself, I have no identification with me. No (sufficient) cash either as I expect to pay by card.

Eventually I find my diving license which sports a picture of mine and we can pay. Never had that before in all my years of having a credit card. No explanation why they have this procedure in place either. :D:D

I on the other hand have booked Air Asia flights for others using my credit card when not flying, and there was no problem. I had been led to believe that AA were one of the few that allowed you to do it, oh might be a problem if it's a late booking.

AA are typically half the price of Thai Airways on the BKK to Ubon route. For that saving as a regular traveller I could put up with the occasional discomfort and the loss of money if you have to make a late change. But have never had to in three years and probably 40 flights with AA.

Whoever was criticising then for charging extra for bags ($1.50 - shocking? - not) - why should someone who travels light (and I do not, so am unbiased) have to subsidise someone who travels heavy - get real.

Lay off AA and move to a (much) higher cost carrier if you want a (moderately) higher quality service.

To the OP - the posting is nonethelsss useful as a reminder that even for an enthusiast like me you should still be aware that the cheap airlines are horses for courses. It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when you have used ana airline successfully for a long period. If you are not pretty certain you are gong to stick with your flight then do not use a discounter - most of their profits are from changes and no-shows

Im taking AirAsia flight to Chiang Mai 1 August, price 2100 Baht, and what worries me is that the 737 planes on that flight is 21 years old!!!

Yes they were build in 1988 , so lets hope they will last a few more flights.....

What is the safety records for Air Asia ?

Oh Gawd, how many times do we have to suffer these posts about budget airlines.. :D

In choosing the VERY CHEAPEST carrier on the market, you must know their systems are very basic and rely on a credit card and internet booking, hence they lack the staff and technical systems that other airlines (supposedly) have.

I have booked 4 no fuss trips, so far without a problem..at half the price of other airlines..

I suggest you try Thai airlines and pay what they want for the same route...(maybe triple)..and then find you will go through all the same problems but have to deal with rude and belligerent employees who are only trained to say "sorry sir not possible"

:)

While I agree that AirAsia could use some improvement, my experiences with them this summer (I have used them about four time) has been that they are wonderful compared with CEBU PACIFIC, the Philippine low cost airline that flies BKK-MNL.

If you want an unbelievably horrifying experience, try dealing with them. For starts, their website offers low fares for online booking, takes your credit card information, then declines the charge only to simultaneously take the money from your account -- while refusing to issue you a ticket.

They refuse to answer all emails, and when you are able to reach a so-called customer service agent at their Manila-only call center, when you present a problem they simply hang up on you.

If you are looking for a truly bizarre company, try them -- if you want to maintain your sanity, avoid them!