Being Polite

Oked

Most of the time me and my Thai girlfriend speak English. Eventually we use some Thai phrases though. When she speaks Thai to me most of the time she adds “kha” to the end of the sentence which I like, but I’m not sure if it’s commonplace. Does this mean her respect or desire to be polite or does it mean nothing? Am I supposed to use “khap” when I’m talking to her? The girl is educated and she earns OK money, but still most of her friends are from the lower class, so she is not highbrow.

Commonplace? Depends on the couple and how long they've known each other. My wife stopped using kha after about 6 months of our marriage. I hardly ever used khrap (note the r), and still don't, unless I want something from her. Your girlfriend is just being polite and respectful as she was taught at home and throughout school.

Commonplace?  Depends on the couple and how long they've known each other. My wife stopped using kha after about 6 months of our marriage. I hardly ever used khrap (note the r), and still don't, unless I want something from her.  Your girlfriend is just being polite and respectful as she was taught at home and throughout school.

About that “r” in the “khrap”. Is it actually pronounced? Are the Thais wrong when they say “khap” without “r”?

Commonplace?  Depends on the couple and how long they've known each other. My wife stopped using kha after about 6 months of our marriage. I hardly ever used khrap (note the r), and still don't, unless I want something from her.  Your girlfriend is just being polite and respectful as she was taught at home and throughout school.

About that “r” in the “khrap”. Is it actually pronounced? Are the Thais wrong when they say “khap” without “r”?

Let's turn it around - are English people wrong to say "yeah" instead of "yes"?

The "r" sound in "khrap" is pronounced for formal occasions and while reciting and the like. In everyday speech, it is usually heard as "khap".

Let's turn it around - are English people wrong to say "yeah" instead of "yes"?

The "r" sound in "khrap" is pronounced for formal occasions and while reciting and the like. In everyday speech, it is usually heard as "khap".

And bear in mind that the Isaan and Northern Thai dialects don't have /khr/! How well does it really survive in the rest of the Thai-speaking areas?

In general Thais don't expect an ignorant farang to know how to speak Thai to them properly and rely on listening to the tone of your voice more than what you say I think.

I wouldn't worry about the Khap (my GF is from Isaan and that's how they say it). As I find it difficult to know when o ouse it can I suggest that you just say Hai Noi (Please) if you want to be polite?