Buying A 2nd Hand Private Motorcycle In Pattaya.

Found a 2nd hand motorcycle from a private Thai owner. I'm thinking of buying but what steps do I need to take to transfer ownership and avoid being scammed?

He says he has the ownership book provided? How do I verify...I can't read Thai.

Do I need to get a Thai bike license first? I currently hold an int'l drivers license for motorcycles, is this enough to transfer?

How about insurance and taxes?

Any other hidden costs or things I need to look out for?

Thx in advance,

Thaiboxer1 :o

You'll need a non imm visa and letter conf. add. The best and safest thing to do is go to the veh. reg. office with the previous owner. Don't worry about reading Thai the book has the model and ser# you can check first. After you apply for change of ownership get yourself a Thai dr. lic.. Minimal cost to transfer ownership.

You'll need a non imm visa and letter conf. add. The best and safest thing to do is go to the veh. reg. office with the previous owner. Don't worry about reading Thai the book has the model and ser# you can check first. After you apply for change of ownership get yourself a Thai dr. lic.. Minimal cost to transfer ownership.

Ajahnlau,

Thx for the info. :o

So where is the veh. reg. office? Directions please..

Ajahnlau,

It's on Route 36, The Rayong Road, maybe 10 - 12 kms outside Pattaya, Next to The Regents School.

map_pattaya.gif

I can't believe it, dr john (or should I say toilet) giving good info to a tourist, will this be a trend or does he think he's not a sex tourist? :o:D:D

And back on topic from me, You have to make sure the engine number and the frame number match the "Green Book" or the bike is worth <deleted>.

Edited by Kringle

Ajahnlau,

It's on Route 36, The Rayong Road, maybe 10 - 12 kms outside Pattaya, Next to The Regents School.

map_pattaya.gif

Dr. John,

Wow...that is great info! Have the map all printed out! Many thx again! :D

I can't believe it, dr john (or should I say toilet)  giving good info to a tourist, will this be a trend or does he think he's not a sex tourist? :o  :D  :D

And back on topic from me, You have to make sure the engine number and the frame number match the "Green Book" or  the bike is worth <deleted>.

Hey Kringle, thx for the detail on matching the numbers on the bike to the green book...it's details like this that i need to know to avoid being scammed...

and PS...there are some of us who come here to live that aren't sex tourists! :D

One does not need a non-immigrant type visa for registering a motorbike in ones name (or a car).

However you do need a non immigrant if you want a Thai Drivers licence!

I guess it depends on where you apply for registration. Up here you do, same as in BKK.

From my experience you dont need a non imm visa to registar a car or motor bike in your own name. Did it at Dept of Transport in Mor Chit (Bangkok) without any problems. Some of the provincial offices dont realise that the laws have changed.