Leaving Your Job Without Notice

I'm sorry if this has been covered already!

I will be leaving my job in the next month. My school has not been very trustworthy about paying their teachers, so sadly, I can not give them any notice of my departure. I will be telling them the last day that I will be leaving.

I plan to travel around SE Asia for the next 4 months, coming back to BKK every month for two or three days. What steps do I need to take to make sure my visa is ok.

I currently hold a Non B and work permit. From what I understand, my school will cancel my work permit and then I must leave and come back on a tourist visa. However, since I will not be giving my school notice, I will not have any paper work from them. When I leave the airport is it enough to tell them to cancel it and give me a tourist visa?

How long do you think I have till my school cancels my work permit. From what I know of my school...probably months! How does immigration know when or if my work permit has been canceled? Will they give me a hard time if I don't have the paper work?

Thank you for your help! This visa stuff in Thailand is impossible to ever get a clear answer!

"This visa stuff in Thailand is impossible to ever get a clear answer! "

It's very easy if you listen.

ARE YOU ON A 'NONb' OR AN EXTENSION OF STAY. If 'nonB' (visa obtained outside Thailand) then no need to get new visa it is NOT locked to your work permit. so you can carry on until it expires (multi-entry). If an extension then yes you need to go to the airport and leave the country to get a new visa. If you are using land borders you will get 15 days on re-entry to Thailand for a Max 4 times. (this may change :) ). If flying you will get 30 days each time.

Hope this helps. Allan

The day you quit your job, you have to leave (unless it is a valid multipe non-:). Would labour or immigration find out? Maybe and why run the risk?

Since you will only com back for a few days at a time you don't need a visa. Everytime you come to Thailand you will get 15 days permission to stay if you arrive by land transport or 30 days if you arrive by airplane. (provided you have the nationality of one of the western countries)

It might be advisible to return the WP to the labour office yourself.

"Its very easy if you read properly"

The OP very clearly states he holds a Non B Visa

He did not say that. He only says "Non B" which could be a visa entry or an extension of stay from such an entry. And even if he did say visa it could well be in error as many on extensions of stay call them visas.

I currently hold a Non B and work permit
Edited by lopburi3

Thanks for your replies! I'm on an extension of my non-B.

My main question is this though...

If I quit my job without notice and then show up at the airport without any paper work from my school...is it going to be a problem. Will it be ok that I tell them "I just left my job, you can cancel my non B and give me a tourist visa when I come back in"

From the time I quit my job, I will not be flying out for another 5 days. So maybe I should call in sick for those days and then tell them I quit on the day I fly out?

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I already know the basic rules on the visa, but since my school is not trustworthy, I don't understand what I should do in the case of leaving without getting all the paper work done by my school.

Thank you!

You need to depart the day you quite.

Airport is not going to question your departure. Your extension of stay ends with your departure if you do not use a re-entry permit for return. So you have done your thing if you leave on your last day of work. But if you delay you are on overstay.

I just found this information. Is it true? I will have 7 days from the time they turn in my work permit to leave the country? I thought you had to pay 1900 baht for those 7 days?

"Once you quit a job, your work permit and one-year visa are null and void. You are allowed a maximum of seven days to leave the country and get a new visa.

It is suggested to keep tabs on exactly when the school hands back your work permit to the labor department, because that's when the 7-day clock starts ticking."

Get your salary on august 1st.

Call in sick for a few days while you make plans to leave.

The day before you leave, inform the school that you quit, and return your WP to the labour dept yourself.

You will have no problems leaving, getting a new visa outside Thailand, or coming back in.

Good luck

You can apply for a 7 day extension but most offices will not accept without paperwork from employer that you have terminated that day. Without such a letter you are advised to leave the same day. You do not get 7 days to leave fee as in the past.

Thanks for your replies! I'm on an extension of my non-B.

Just so that everyone understands. You have extended your permission to stay not your Visa . That expired long ago.

As said you have to leave on the day your job finishes OR apply for a 7 day extension providing you have the paperwork described by Lopburi

One last question...

If I leave the country before my work permit is cancelled...then my school cancels it while I'm gone...and I come back three weeks later. Will I have any problem coming back in on a tourist visa??

I have a multiple re-entry permit...so that is where I'm very confused. Unless I tell them to void it at immigration, they won't know because of the multiple re-entry...right? Or does the ministry of labour and immigration have enough communication that they will know?? My friends just left, but they didn't have a multiple re-entry. They just didn't go get a re-entry permit, and thus had to come back on a tourist visa.

I want to make sure that I can come back in the country a month later on a tourist visa, even if I don't stick around long enough for my school to get all the paper work done etc.

Ahhh...please help! =)

Just to clarify...now that I fully understand this as well...

I am on an extension of my visa...valid until March 2010.

I have a multiple re-entry permit.

I have a US passport.

Again, thank you so much for all your help. It is GREATLY appreciated!