Topping Off Thai Bank Account For Visa

I have an interesting question.

Many people have problems getting their western banks to wire money to their Thai bank accounts without flying back to their home countries to initiate the wire.

Is there any problem with having a friend/relative wire the money into your Thai bank account from the immigration point of view? In other words, the funds are coming from outside Thailand but the sender is a different person than the receiver (the receiver being the visa applicant)?

From what I currently have read, there should be no problem with this, but am curious about confirmation of this from the "experts".

Many people have problems getting their western banks to wire money to their Thai bank accounts without flying back to their home countries to initiate the wire.

Is there any problem with having a friend/relative wire the money into your Thai bank account from the immigration point of view? In other words, the funds are coming from outside Thailand but the sender is a different person than the receiver (the receiver being the visa applicant)?

From what I currently have read, there should be no problem with this, but am curious about confirmation of this from the "experts".

There is nothing on the paperwork required for obtaining an extension which indicates who has initiated the money transfer so how would immigration know? Not that I believe it would be a problem anyway.

Hey, we're all ex-spurts here :D

I transfer money from the States to Kasikorn bank at least once a month, online, never a problem...

A couple of tried-and-true solutions:

Open a Citi account. Online banking, including international wire transfers. I seem to remember making a phone call to set it up the first time. That was like 5 years ago. I use them for overseas transfers and as a depository for paypal payments made to me. Never any problems except for the $40 international transfer fee. Kasikorn charges a max of 550 baht on the receiving end

Open a brokerage account at Ameritrade.com I had to fax them a signed permission note the first time, but no sweat doing it myself online after that. You can also open this brokerage account online, and fund it with a free ACH transfer from your bank in the States. Lots of other interesting services offered with these accounts, like cc cards, free ACH transfers, paper checks... Pretty much like a bank, except cheaper fees, in my experience. I also have an account with Scottrade.com, but they charge $20 for local wire transfers, and don't do international ones at all.... Always read what the lawyers have written :o

Edited by Ajarn

Hey, we're all ex-spurts here  :D

I transfer money from the States to Kasikorn bank at least once a month, online, never a problem...

Open a Citi account. Online banking, including international wire transfers. I seem to remember making a phone call to set it up the first time. That was like 5 years ago. I use them for overseas transfers and as a depository for paypal payments made to me. Never any problems except for the $40 international transfer fee. Kasikorn charges a max of 550 baht on the receiving end

Open a brokerage account at Ameritrade.com I had to fax them a signed permission note the first time, but no sweat doing it myself online after that. You can also open this brokerage account online, and fund it with a free ACH transfer from your bank in the States. Lots of other interesting services offered with these accounts, like cc cards, free ACH transfers, paper checks... Pretty much like a bank, except cheaper fees, in my experience. I also have an account with

Scottrade.com, but they charge $20 for local wire transfers, and don't do international ones at all.... Always read what the lawyers have written  :o

I sure would like a little more information on your trnsfrs from Citi to LOS. I have transferred a sizable amount from Washington Mutual, (which sucks), to Citi and intend to eventually make transfers to Bangkok Bank when I've finally made my permanent move over there. Please, if you will, give me a few details on what I have to do to set it up. etc.....Can I set it up before I go over and set up the Bangkok Bank account, or do I have to go over and set up that account, then come back home and set up at Citi. ..... Thanks in advance, ErnieK

I read in an immigration  document that the money must either come from a bank account in your name OR be deposited in a bank in your name.

So the answer to your question is  yes.

That statement is a bit confusing. There is nothing that I submit to immigration for the marriage extension that says the money comes from "my" personal overseas account. The only thing submitted is the "letter from your Thai bank" (so that account has to have your name on it) and a copy of your current bank book balance. As a matter of fact my sister transfers the money from a joint account in the USA, but immigration wouldn't know that and don't guess they would care.

The way I interpreted it, was that it was acceptable for the money to be sent from your account overseas to an account in something like your wifes name.

Sorry I do not remember which document it was and so cannot give you a direct quote.

Same as you,Immigration have never checked where my money comes from they just accept the letter from the bank.

Edited by Thetyim

Hey, we're all ex-spurts here  :D

Open a brokerage account at Ameritrade.com I had to fax them a signed permission note the first time, but no sweat doing it myself online after that. You can also open this brokerage account online, and fund it with a free ACH transfer from your bank in the States. Lots of other interesting services offered with these accounts, like cc cards, free ACH transfers, paper checks... Pretty much like a bank, except cheaper fees, in my experience. I also have an account with

Scottrade.com, but they charge $20 for local wire transfers, and don't do international ones at all.... Always read what the lawyers have written  :o

I sure would like a little more information on your trnsfrs from Citi to LOS. I have transferred a sizable amount from Washington Mutual, (which sucks), to Citi and intend to eventually make transfers to Bangkok Bank when I've finally made my permanent move over there. Please, if you will, give me a few details on what I have to do to set it up. etc.....Can I set it up before I go over and set up the Bangkok Bank account, or do I have to go over and set up that account, then come back home and set up at Citi. ..... Thanks in advance, ErnieK

Do you have an online account set up already? There is a tab on the main page for 'payments', I believe it says. Should be pretty self-expanatory at that point. If not, use their message function to ask customet service. Very helpful on two occasions for me..

And, yes, you must have a US address.

Many people have problems getting their western banks to wire money to their Thai bank ...

Investigate the SWIFT transfer system. :o

I understand SWIFT.

The trouble people are having, particularly Americans, is that many US banks will NOT initiate a SWIFT transfer from the US to anywhere unless the account holder physically walks into the bank in the US, shows his ID, and initiates the transfer. No online transfers, no fax requests, no phone calls, nada. At least this is what Washington Mutual bank (a very large bank, please avoid it) has told me. And yes, it sucks.

I will have to get my thai acct papers, have my passport with VISA, have the Res docs from the U.S. Embassy and then I can set up online xfers but I must sign up in person at my bank with the above docs. So, off I go to Bangkok with my new VISA to get all that done, fly back to Honolulu and do the bank thing and then fly back to Thailand. For me it will be at least three trips befopre I'm settled in down south enjoying Phuket Island and my soon to be new home town of Patong>

Many people have problems getting their western banks to wire money to their Thai bank ...

Investigate the SWIFT transfer system. :o

I understand SWIFT.

The trouble people are having, particularly Americans, is that many US banks will NOT initiate a SWIFT transfer from the US to anywhere unless the account holder physically walks into the bank in the US, shows his ID, and initiates the transfer. No online transfers, no fax requests, no phone calls, nada. At least this is what Washington Mutual bank (a very large bank, please avoid it) has told me. And yes, it sucks.

Did you ask about setting up a recurring wire transfer? My local Denver area bank has no problem sending wire transfers on the basis of a recorded phone call and use of a password once a wire transfer agreement has been signed. Believe most other banks are the same. The important item is that wire transfer agreement being on file at your bank - that usually must be done in person. If you do not have such paperwork on file; yes, they are likely to require you to present yourself in person prior to any transfer.

If it is just your bank open an account with another bank. If you want to keep the Washington account you can ACH transfer into the other account when you need to make wire transfers.

Banks can be a real pain sometimes and they often get it wrong so if told something you suspect may not be true ask them to check higher up - they should be willing to do that and the answer may not be the same.

...I understand SWIFT.

The trouble people are having, particularly Americans, is that many US banks will NOT initiate a SWIFT transfer from the US to anywhere unless the account holder physically walks into the bank in the US, shows his ID, and initiates the transfer. No online transfers, no fax requests, no phone calls, nada.....

Oh - it's not so bad for my UK bank, but they still want the SWIFT transfer form printed out from their web site, completed, signed and sent back to England to be processed. No on-line transfers for me, either. But at least I can send the form (but I always contact them online to make sure the letter has arrived - TIT!).