Rent Increase Question

What is the normal rental increase for a townhouse in lower sukhumvit area?

currently renting @ 55,000.

They are asking for 72,000 a mth for 3 years(12.5% increase), they want me to sign a 3x3 with a 15% increase on the 2nd set of 3. which would be 81,000 a month.

I think it's a bit high but don't know the current rental situation in Bkk for townhouses.

So I'm asking here in the hope of some enlightened experianced soul can give me an Ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Lodes

What is the normal rental increase for a townhouse in lower sukhumvit area?

currently renting @ 55,000.

They are asking for 72,000 a mth for 3 years(12.5% increase), they want me to sign a 3x3 with a 15% increase on the 2nd set of 3. which would be 81,000 a month.

I think it's a bit high but don't know the current rental situation in Bkk for townhouses.

So I'm asking here in the hope of some enlightened experianced soul can give me an Ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Lodes

Look around first to see what's on offer in the area.

Of course landlords wants an increase and will ask for whatever they can,

while renters may sometimes finds it more expensive to move

or theres better and cheaper elsewhere, fate n destiny?

Thanks Jerry,

fate n destiny........It would be a Huge ha$$le to move.

Thanks Jerry,

fate n destiny........It would be a Huge ha$$le to move.

Jerry, Don't go for that. Rents are coming down substantially.

We have seen them coming down from say 55/65K to 40/45K.

We have been looking and found this to be true. Never take the listed

price.

Some owners are just to rich or do not care to seemingly "lose face"

at the prospect of decreasing rent. However, others see the market and the

future of the market for the foreseeable future. (2 years) minimum recovery at best. This is not 97', no IMF and no way to export out of the crisis.

It is a renters market now. No one wants the hassle moving. Don't get screwed ether. Look now. Best of luck.

Edited by tpthai2

To the OP,

Without knowing the particulars of the townhouse in question (which would make the conjecture I'm about to make kind of irrelevant), I would say that the increase is too high.

Also, given that you're willing to sign a longer lease (3x3????!!!) the landlord should come down on rents (I would, I'm a landlord).

You mention that moving would be a hassle, I'm sure it would be it always is, but if you're looking to save a bit of money then you'd make up the moving cost in just a few months rent differential.

If money isn't really an issue, then stay (but even if money wasn't an issue, I'd move just because IMO the landlord is being a jackass).

I have a tenant in a condo wishing to extend for 2 years (we don't have a contract, anyway, just verbal - she pays the rent, I don't bother her) and I'm even hesitant to raise the rent because I know she works in an office and well I'm probably better off than she is (I guess I'm a softie landlord).

I also am the renter of a townhouse in the Northern Corridor part of BKK. It is the townhouse next to a townhouse which I own (but do not live in....). I rent the one next to it as a 'buffer' for noise and privacy (did I mention I don't even live there, yes it's idiotic but at least it's another parking space). The rent on that townhouse has not gone up from 2008-2009, (well I paid cash up front for a year) and come March 2010 I don't expect it to increase and if the landlord wants to increase it I'm gonna knock him off.... :)

So, based on my limited knowledge of the BKK market, I'd say look elsewhere. (How about buying, if you plan to stay that long.... hmm that's 3 years at 72k + 3 years at 81k = some decent cash - ok just did the calculation it's about 5.5 million)